Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Meinberg posted:

About your last point: The Ardent Shard Swordsman (Zahel) is very likely someone from Warbreaker, due to the use of color related metaphors and his talk about "vacations." His behavior, and the appearance of Nightblood at the end, signifies that he's likely Vasher, though when Sanderson puts out the second Warbreaker book, we may learn otherwise.

confirmed as Vasher at one of the signings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I really wish he'd stop doing that. I could probably have eked a little more entertainment out of AMoL if I'd actually had some twists left to see...

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

mossyfisk posted:

I really wish he'd stop doing that. I could probably have eked a little more entertainment out of AMoL if I'd actually had some twists left to see...

Why? AMoL was pretty much bad in spite of Sanderson, any twists there weren't really his doing. Don't get me started on the atrocious ending confrontation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

It's not like it really could be anyone else. I mean, I *guess* it could have been an elaborate fakeout, but with that much evidence it would hardly make sense.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
My favorite silly Warbreaker reference was when Zahel was throwing some colored stones into a circle, likely playing the incomprehensible lawn game that Lightsong always won despite never learning the rules of.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Sebarial actually reminds me of Lightsong in a way.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Ethiser posted:

Sebarial actually reminds me of Lightsong in a way.

There are definite parallels. Sebarial is the "funny one" or at least as close as Sanderson can get. He thinks that he's above it all, and is actually pretty clever. He's also a good person despite layers of detachment.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
So shardplate, we know that in the past it glowed when Knights Radiant wore it, and the helm could be unsummoned at will. Today however, those aren't true and touching the inside of a helm seems to cause Kaladin to lose his stormlight reserves. Is shardplate just like shardblades, the partially functional remains of a now mostly-dead spren? I'm guessing that's the "reward" for saying all your oaths and becoming a full Knight Radiant, your spren can turn into your weapon and your armor.

I'd also guess that a personalized set of shardplate acts as an insulator, keeping voidbringer magic out, while keeping extra stormlight in. Presumably in a fully functional shardplate set, all the stormlight that we see leaking out of the characters mouth or skin wouldn't be lost, but could be recycled for further use. Just like a stillsuit!

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

keiran_helcyan posted:

So shardplate, we know that in the past it glowed when Knights Radiant wore it, and the helm could be unsummoned at will. Today however, those aren't true and touching the inside of a helm seems to cause Kaladin to lose his stormlight reserves. Is shardplate just like shardblades, the partially functional remains of a now mostly-dead spren? I'm guessing that's the "reward" for saying all your oaths and becoming a full Knight Radiant, your spren can turn into your weapon and your armor.

I'd also guess that a personalized set of shardplate acts as an insulator, keeping voidbringer magic out, while keeping extra stormlight in. Presumably in a fully functional shardplate set, all the stormlight that we see leaking out of the characters mouth or skin wouldn't be lost, but could be recycled for further use. Just like a stillsuit!

Shardplate: the Shardplate doesn't have the same screaming thing going on as the Shardblades (evidenced when Kaladin wore the helmet on his hand), and Syl specifically targets her distaste at the blades. The plate drained Kaladin's stormlight because it was from a damaged set - that's how the Shardplate regenerates itself, they usually put filled gems next to it and let it absorb the stormlight from them. However, its true that the old dudes could summon and dismiss parts of their Shardplate. I think the old stuff might be spren-related, but the new stuff is some kind of Fabrial: that's the explanation I've heard that makes the most sense to me, anyways.

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 11, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

keiran_helcyan posted:

I think those are really good guesses.

Ok, so now that I've had a couple days of sitting around and thinking about this, endgame/next book speculation time!

According to Hoid/Wit (and probably, a map), the Everstorm is headed to Shinovar next. Justice Herald is about to send Szeth there. Next book is Szeth pov, I think? Cool poo poo going down.

Aside from Szeth, Eshonai and Dalinar round out the first 5 POV-focused books. Eshonai was last seen falling into a chasm, but she's most definitely possessed at this time. Will the other listener refugees save her? Listeners can certainly shake off the void spren, otherwise we wouldn't have had the Parshendi...

Law Cheetah posted:

Shardplate: the Shardplate doesn't have the same screaming thing going on as the Shardblades (evidenced when Kaladin wore the helmet), and Syl specifically targets her distaste at the blades. The plate drained Kaladin's stormlight because it was from a damaged set - that's how the Shardplate regenerates itself, they usually put filled gems next to it and let it absorb the stormlight from them. However, its true that the old dudes could summon and dismiss parts of their Shardplate. I think the old stuff might be spren-related, but the new stuff is some kind of Fabrial: that's the explanation I've heard that makes the most sense to me, anyways.

The current technology is not quite yet able to duplicate shardplate, what we're seeing in the world today came from the shadowdays. In fact Dalinar has seen the exact same set of plate Adolin is wearing in his visions.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

api call girl posted:

According to Hoid/Wit (and probably, a map), the Everstorm is headed to Shinovar next. Justice Herald is about to send Szeth there. Next book is Szeth pov, I think? Cool poo poo going down.

The nightmother (Cultivation?) is out there somewhere, and Shinovar seems like the ideal home for Cultivation. I wonder how much power she has to protect against the everstorm?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

api call girl posted:

The current technology is not quite yet able to duplicate shardplate, what we're seeing in the world today came from the shadowdays. In fact Dalinar has seen the exact same set of plate Adolin is wearing in his visions.

I thought it was an old kind of fabrial, not a new one. But if it's not a fabrial and is actually a part of dead spren, then why is there no screaming? Why doesn't Syl seem to hate it? If it's not a dead spren and is actually a fabrial, then why could they used to summon it? Why did only Radiants have sets? The sticking points if it's a fabrial are easier to explain away than it being a dead spren. Thinking about it further, I'm leaning towards Shardplate having always been fabrials of some kind, rather than there being two kinds of Shardplate.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Cicero posted:

Oh, never mind then, I must've misread.

Rlain was in warform when he surrenders. He says that Eshonai was acting was weird after she transformed into stormform, so he didn't transform into stormform with the others.

Are there any hints as to who Mraize is? That collection of his seems like it should be important, but I can't figure out why/how.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 11, 2014

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Finished WoR last night and I have some thoughts and questions:

Adolin being a Radiant wouldn't surprise me in the least, though I'm not sure I like how the other Kholins came out as Radiants in WoR. In one of Dalinar's visions, they talk about the Alethi being a people who are given the burden of learning to fight so that they can defend the world during the Desolations. The Kholins seem to be the epitome of the Alethi people so it would make sense that they were all able to fight the Voidbringers (this assigned duty is also where I thought the Thrill comes from, though people here seem to think it is of Odium). Based on his relationship with Kaladin, I'd guess he will be part of the Stonewards, but I didn't see any real evidence of this other than the Stonewards and Windrunners seemed to work together in Dalinar's visions.

Nalan seems likely to be a Worldhopper and not just because of Nightblood. One of the epigraphs talks about the Skybreakers being well known for having magic that no spren was associated with. What does having other magic (presumably from another world with a Shard) over 4500 years ago and now having Nightblood say about time in the Cosmere? When do the events in The Stormight Archive happen in relation to Elantris, Warbreaker, etc?

Shalan keeps referring to Pattern as her mother's soul in the flashbacks but we're never told why she thinks this. Does Pattern steal souls when he kills as a Shardblade?

Have there been any clues as to what type of spren Ivory and Glys are?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Xenix posted:

Shalan keeps referring to Pattern as her mother's soul in the flashbacks but we're never told why she thinks this. Does Pattern steal souls when he kills as a Shardblade?

There hasn't been any evidence that shardblades steal the soul, though we've seen that they can cut parts of a soul in a way that can be fatal.

I don't think Shallan ever said Pattern was her mother's soul, not in the sense you're implying. Shallan's mother tried to kill her because "she's one of them" but before she could do so Shallan summoned her blade and killed her mother instead. Her father was there, saw what happened and panicked, so he took the blade and locked in it a strongbox behind a painting. Shallan was understandably traumatized, and repressed the memory and tried to deny what she could do for the longest time (there are hints to this throughout the book - when she kills Tyn, she's trying to summon her blade and panics because she she doesn't have time to wait for 10 heartbeats, even though a little voice says she knows she knows she doesn't need to wait, and when she tells Pattern she's surprised at how good she is at lightweaving given how little time she's been at it, he corrects her and says that she's been doing it for awhile).

Anyways, since she was just a little kid who didn't really understand what had really happened (or maybe because the guilt made her subconsciously twist the memory to deny what she had done), she associated the blade that killed her mother with her mother's soul, and every time she passed her father's room she saw the hidden lockbox glowing because she knew deep down what had happened.

In the end, Pattern tells her she needs to face the truth, and we see what really happened, that she killed her mother, that the lockbox with her mother's "soul" (i.e. her shardblade) is, and always had been, empty, and that Pattern was the blade she had summoned all those years ago when she killed her mom.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 11, 2014

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
Huh. Regarding Adolin: My first thought when he ended Sadeas was that it would be linked to Syl's comment that the owner of Szeth's shardblade can surgebind without the moral restrictions.

Basically my head instantly mapped out a scenario wherein Kaladin feels bad that his bro Adolin doesn't have cool powers like everyone else, including his fiancé, so he gives him the blade. Oh but it turns out Kaladin and Shallan are meant to be, and boom, Adolin goes evil.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

OBi posted:

Huh. Regarding Adolin: My first thought when he ended Sadeas was that it would be linked to Syl's comment that the owner of Szeth's shardblade can surgebind without the moral restrictions.

Basically my head instantly mapped out a scenario wherein Kaladin feels bad that his bro Adolin doesn't have cool powers like everyone else, including his fiancé, so he gives him the blade. Oh but it turns out Kaladin and Shallan are meant to be, and boom, Adolin goes evil.

Kaladin has a pretty bad track record of giving people (Moash!!) shard equipment so he better think twice about that.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

OBi posted:

This was my first reaction as well. The first 4 radiants are Adolin's brother, father, fiancee and friend. Surely he wouldn't mind a charity honorblade

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

End of book I'm thinking after both Kaladin and Shallan explain the oaths thing, it becomes a lot easier for others to bond Spren. Otherwise Dalinar would not have known how to bind the Stormfather. I think you just need a willing Spren, plus a person who swears the oaths and means it.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Victorkm posted:

you just need a willing Spren

This is the hard part. While there are indeed a greater number of sentient spren than in the past, almost all of them are in Shadesmar. Coming to the physical world is dangerous, damaging, and rebellious of them, thus the small number of Radiants. That said, I suppose that more spren might be convinced in the future, based off the successful oath swearing of the main characters.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Speculation re: heralds Could Taln be a barmy (gotta break out the old Planescape terminlogy sometime!) because he was the only one to be sent to 'purgatory' this time? After desolations past perhaps the collected heralds all divided the pain between them and were able to return in much better shape. Which means if he ever breaks out of it, he might not have much love left for his former cohorts.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Herald Stuff

Jezrien It's intimated that the drunkard Szeth encounters in the 1st chapter of WoK is Jezrien. He's a bearded vagrant at the beggar's feast and is seated at the feet of the Jezerezeh statue then asks Szeth "Have you seen me?" then starts laughing after Szeth makes a note of the statue

Xenix posted:

Nalan seems likely to be a Worldhopper and not just because of Nightblood. One of the epigraphs talks about the Skybreakers being well known for having magic that no spren was associated with. What does having other magic (presumably from another world with a Shard) over 4500 years ago and now having Nightblood say about time in the Cosmere? When do the events in The Stormight Archive happen in relation to Elantris, Warbreaker, etc?

From what I gathered from that epigraph the Words of Radiance author was simply making a joke about how argumentative and obstinate the skybreakers were. They were in fact *so good at it* the others felt it was a magical power "not associated with any spren" they knew of.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

DKWildz posted:

Speculation re: heralds Could Taln be a barmy (gotta break out the old Planescape terminlogy sometime!) because he was the only one to be sent to 'purgatory' this time? After desolations past perhaps the collected heralds all divided the pain between them and were able to return in much better shape. Which means if he ever breaks out of it, he might not have much love left for his former cohorts.

It seems like all of the other Heralds have gotten a bit loopy in the meantime too. I mean it's been what, 4500 years.

alr
May 14, 2009
Finished WoR, really enjoyed it. Regarding Kaladin, I wonder if his "shash" slave/"dangerous" branding has any significance. We've seen glyphs on fabrials, I think when Shallan summoned her blade for Kaladin in the fight against the Chamsfiend he noticed glyphs on it, and when Kaladin returns to protect the king there was something about a glyph appearing on the floor. Might be reading too much into it since glyphs don't really have much to do with this world other than writing, but it reminds me of Vin's earring a fair bit (both forced on them, both mentioned from time to time. He's also the only character with that particular brand as far as I'm aware, and I find it funny they persist yet Lopen can start growing an entire new arm.)

Another question - the thing that Justice/Nin guy pulled out to absorb the Stormlight from Lift, was that described as the same thing that Rysn was gifted on the islands? Sounded like a weird dragon looking thing, I can't recall off the top of my head. Speaking of creatures, I wonder what else the Voidspren will be able to affect. Syl mentioned seeing them around Skyeels, and going by Shallans sketch Whitespine look and sound dangerous enough to be like the creatures Dalinar saw in one of his visions.

I really wish I'd discovered this series towards the end. I was lucky enough to only get into Wheel of Time when Towers of Midnight was released, and reading Sanderson led me to finding the already complete Mistborn trilogy. This wait is gonna drive me nuts.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

alr posted:

I really wish I'd discovered this series towards the end. I was lucky enough to only get into Wheel of Time when Towers of Midnight was released, and reading Sanderson led me to finding the already complete Mistborn trilogy. This wait is gonna drive me nuts.

On the plus side he's planning to release a book every what? 18-24 months? So we won't have to wait 8 years between books.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

keiran_helcyan posted:

Just putting it out there that if later books leave Roshar and go to Arrakis I will Sanderson forever.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

api call girl posted:

It seems like all of the other Heralds have gotten a bit loopy in the meantime too. I mean it's been what, 4500 years.

I would suspect not as much as Taln since he's the only one sent back to Damnation or whatever that place was. 4500 years of torture would do very bad things to the mind.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Notorious QIG posted:

I would suspect not as much as Taln since he's the only one sent back to Damnation or whatever that place was. 4500 years of torture would do very bad things to the mind.

They all go there every time, so I'm going to bet that they were all supposed to come back as loopy as Taln is this time, every time.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

api call girl posted:

They all go there every time, so I'm going to bet that they were all supposed to come back as loopy as Taln is this time, every time.

Except the other nine broke the oath. In the prologue to TWoK they say something like "better that one man should suffer than ten", implying that the other nine are not suffering. I don't know what happened to them but unless they misunderstood what would happen when they broke the oath then they didn't end up back in that place.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Notorious QIG posted:

Except the other nine broke the oath. In the prologue to TWoK they say something like "better that one man should suffer than ten", implying that the other nine are not suffering. I don't know what happened to them but unless they misunderstood what would happen when they broke the oath then they didn't end up back in that place.

Imagine I said "every other time".

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

api call girl posted:

Imagine I said "every other time".

Going from Way of Kings it seems like the original set of Desolations occurred every 1000 years. Plus I imagine there was some issue where the torture being spread out over ten Heralds rather than concentrated on one may have also played into it.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Fezz posted:

Going from Way of Kings it seems like the original set of Desolations occurred every 1000 years. Plus I imagine there was some issue where the torture being spread out over ten Heralds rather than concentrated on one may have also played into it.

or 1/10th of the torture for 1/5th of the time (roughly). Even then it kinda drove them insane to the point where they left Taln to deal by himself

though not willingly submitting to torture could be considered *very* sane...more likely 4500 years of life makes one kinda weeeeeeeird

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Being immortal is a pretty good way to go insane, even without the torture. I'm sure the heralds have seen so many things, even forgotten so much, that they're no longer as sane as most mortals.

It makes you wonder how sane Hoid is...

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

treeboy posted:

or 1/10th of the torture for 1/5th of the time (roughly). Even then it kinda drove them insane to the point where they left Taln to deal by himself

though not willingly submitting to torture could be considered *very* sane...more likely 4500 years of life makes one kinda weeeeeeeird

Good catch, I'd forgotten that the inbetween time was longer this time rather than the usual 1000.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Lobsterpillar posted:

Being immortal is a pretty good way to go insane, even without the torture. I'm sure the heralds have seen so many things, even forgotten so much, that they're no longer as sane as most mortals.

It makes you wonder how sane Hoid is...

He might be a Feruchemist, Copperminds seem a good way to handle immortality.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HidaO-Win posted:

He might be a Feruchemist, Copperminds seem a good way to handle immortality.

Yeah, if you don't mind random malevolent gods tampering with your memories.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
I don't know, Harmony is pretty chill :shrug:

I wonder if a god-shard holder could tamper with another's magic system directly. Gods interacting in general spawn new magic systems, but we've only seen that thousands of years down the line. It'd be cool to see first contact between major shards sometime.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
If there was ever a shard you could trust not to gently caress with you, it'd probably the the one called 'Harmony'. Then again, the cosmic personification of harmony probably becomes compelled to stamp out people who want to cause enough chaos and disorder to upend any harmony or balance, so who knows. However Odium is probably pretty much the closest you can get to the opposite of Harmony and is one of the most, or the most, powerful shard, so aiding anyone opposing him is probably something Harmony would feel obliged to do, even if it wasn't Sazed. I wouldn't be surprised if Harmony gave Hoid a couple of 'gifts'. It could be how he became a Feruchemist - the quintessential Harmony magic. Helping Hoid, the enemy of Odium, become uber-powerful helps balance out the conflict.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 11, 2014

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Welp just finished WoR yesterday and was really happy with how good it was, I didn't really love the first book but this really had a whole lot of story and a lot of characters becoming even more awesome. My only fear is that Sanderson will not deal with power creep well and Kaladin will be super powered like Vin was in Mistborn.

Also WRT Dalinar What the hell does a bondsmith do? Is his power just to unite others? Because from my understanding he isn't going to be getting a shard blade out of his deal with the Stormfather.

Actually what do all of the schools of magic do? Not just their oaths but the actual powers they get, as far as I know we have only seen Edgedancing, Windrunning, and Lightweaving to any real extent but my reading comprehension when I am reading books I enjoy is pretty crappy so I probably missed tons of things.

I really really liked Lift's chapter and wish we got more of her, she was much more fun than most of the other characters in the book and it was actually a nice change of pace from the somber brooding mood that most of Kaladin's chapters were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Wolpertinger posted:

If there was ever a shard you could trust not to gently caress with you, it'd probably the the one called 'Harmony'. Then again, the cosmic personification of harmony probably becomes compelled to stamp out people who want to cause enough chaos and disorder to upend any harmony or balance, so who knows. However Odium is probably pretty much the closest you can get to the opposite of Harmony and is one of the most, or the most, powerful shard, so aiding anyone opposing him is probably something Harmony would feel obliged to do, even if it wasn't Sazed. I wouldn't be surprised if Harmony gave Hoid a couple of 'gifts'. It could be how he became a Feruchemist - the quintessential Harmony magic.

Wait... There is a link between Mistborn and Stormlight?