Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
my current spare time project is snyping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

saw 30 new posts, figured something good must have happened

yep

lay off the grass dude. you are the perfect stereotype of every stoner who thinks weed makes you brilliant just with a shaky understanding of math instead of a shaky understanding of politics

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

quote:

3 hours away

*decades pass*

yep, still 3 hours away

Dec 26, 2012

timecube is a valid idiot spare time project right

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

01011001 posted:

idiot?

or genius?

u decide

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

welp i guess that's over with

so anyway, i got myself a spare time project

guy was selling this old tektronix oscilloscope on craigslist, apparently he didn't actually know what a scope was because he thought it worked, but when i showed up to test it out, it did not

so i gave him twenty bucks for it to see if i could fix it myself

here's what the guts look liks

i've never touched a tube in my life and i am very scared

should i just sell the tubes to idiot audiophiles or should i do this

oh yeah here's what a working one looks like

it's like 20 pounds and the screen is 3" in diameter, lol

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

01011001 posted:

a couple of my friends have gene ray's phone number and one day they decided to call him up and get him to personally explain his theories about time, the jews, and 4-sided equilateral days.

they tell me that he's a friendly mostly-coherent guy who's very happy to talk about his weird-rear end ideas, but now they won't tell me his number b/c they feel ashamed at exploiting a mentally-troubled senior citizen. i want to talk to the dude before he kicks it :(

lol at everything happening over the past page and looking forward to seeing Mr SuperAwesome with the nobel prize in stoner programming or w/e

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Werthog 95 posted:

welp i guess that's over with

so anyway, i got myself a spare time project

guy was selling this old tektronix oscilloscope on craigslist, apparently he didn't actually know what a scope was because he thought it worked, but when i showed up to test it out, it did not

so i gave him twenty bucks for it to see if i could fix it myself

here's what the guts look liks

i've never touched a tube in my life and i am very scared

should i just sell the tubes to idiot audiophiles or should i do this

oh yeah here's what a working one looks like

it's like 20 pounds and the screen is 3" in diameter, lol

used tubes don't really fetch much unless they're super rare or smth.
u should try to fix HOWEVER be careful b/c voltages in tube gear can kill.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

:ohdear:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
One thing that you could do would be to pull out the tubes ONE AT A TIME, look them up for pinout and check to make sure you have:

-continuity between the heater pins
-no continuity between either heater pin and the cathode
-no continuity between the cathode, any grids, and the plate

you're probably going to find dried out caps, too, but stage 1 is to test tubes

please be very careful the guts of that box really could put you in the ground
one hand in your pocket at all times* and move slowly and carefully

*this is so that you don't create a path for HV across your chest with both arms. better it go in one arm and down your body to ground

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:rip:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ask me about taking 400V across the chest

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

jesus christ, did not know what i was getting into here :pwn:

probably gonna keep it unplugged for the foreseeable future, i have nowhere to work on it that is inaccessible to cats

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:science: Even when unplugged, lethal voltage can be stored in the capacitors IIRC :science:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah oh lord i am hosed

anybody wanna buy an oscilloscope

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Doc Block posted:

:science: Even when unplugged, lethal voltage can be stored in the capacitors IIRC :science:

when i worked at target photo i always liked discharging the disposable camera flash caps with a screwdriver. it was v. loud and eventually burned a hole right through the screwdriver blade

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

when i worked at target photo i always liked discharging the disposable camera flash caps with a screwdriver. it was v. loud and eventually burned a hole right through the screwdriver blade

used to do the same thing back when i worked at walgreens photo.

one time i opened up a disposable camera to get the film out, but in the process had pulled the front of the camera off. handed the camera to another photo tech to throw in the box, and his finger shorted the flash capacitor. boy was he mad...

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

literally everything is a pointer

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

hi

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
the PCB for my fume extractor came in

yes, it's purple. apparently Osh Park orders all their PCB batches with purple soldermask.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

seems like a lot of effort for a $40 thing you can buy :shrug:

but lol @ that fuckoff diode silkscreen

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I didn't know you could get them for $40.

This was way more educational, though.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

peepsalot posted:

but lol @ that fuckoff diode silkscreen

the diode is loving enormous

even though i enlarged the through-holes, the diode's leads almost don't fit.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
yeah i was a bit baked for some of it but i wrote it all down and git commited the insanity for later and it seems p useful

starting from 3 axioms and one hypothesis:

- axiom of inherent uncertainty (nothing u know is ever truely real or knowable!) [i made this one]
- axiom of choice
- the empty set

- euler's formula with a small tweak using -i instead of i (this makes the power series of i repeat with periodicity of 4n, representing our 4 initial things)

and using that as the basis for a phyics-inspired programming language (i.e. replicating a physical system) you can get some insanely powerful results.

this is all from complete first principles, remember. Feynmann had a great method for lazy dynamic analysis: always start from the principle of least action (which is lambda calculus, functional programming).

so then i plugged in some numbers and started getting 3d representations of Stepehn Wolfram's cellular automata from his New Kind of Science book.

Now, I'm sure down the line primes features heavily, which brings in Ramujan's infinite series, and power series of primes as the coefficients of the Reimann Zeta function (using the 4 vars we have already plus a state function that depends on times), gives us a pentagonal number which is what that fuckin crazy math depends on. Interestingly tho when u look at the structure of those formulae they're actually super elegant; i'm 99% sure they represent pertubations from a point moving backwards and forward in time (think Feynmann diagrams)

Also I don't like C++ for the same reason Linus doesn't - its ugly horrible and easy to gently caress up in. C is elegant and u can do the same poo poo if ur smart and need to. Otherwise just use python or C# unless u NEED to (haskell/erlang for spergin)

anyway here's the important bit. pretty pictures

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i think the main initial error when inventing computahs and turning machines is overlooking uncertainty.

reality is ternary not binary - there is "YES", "NO", and "WTF??? IDK"

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

mods ban this jewluminati filth.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

numbers are not jewish my friend.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

are you my supervisor? I wake up basically every day to 1-2 long, rambling, self-contradictory emails full of buzzwords

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
im still waiting for some yosposter to realise they're Sagebrush's student

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

yeah i was a bit baked for some of it but i wrote it all down and git commited the insanity for later and it seems p useful

- axiom of inherent uncertainty (nothing u know is ever truely real or knowable!) [i made this one]
- axiom of choice
- the empty set

- euler's formula with a small tweak using -i instead of i (this makes the power series of i repeat with periodicity of 4n, representing our 4 initial things)

and using that as the basis for a phyics-inspired programming language (i.e. replicating a physical system) you can get some insanely powerful results.

this is all from complete first principles, remember. Feynmann had a great method for lazy dynamic analysis: always start from the principle of least action (which is lambda calculus, functional programming).

so then i plugged in some numbers and started getting 3d representations of Stepehn Wolfram's cellular automata from his New Kind of Science book.

Now, I'm sure down the line primes features heavily, which brings in Ramujan's infinite series, and power series of primes as the coefficients of the Reimann Zeta function (using the 4 vars we have already plus a state function that depends on times), gives us a pentagonal number which is what that fuckin crazy math depends on. Interestingly tho when u look at the structure of those formulae they're actually super elegant; i'm 99% sure they represent pertubations from a point moving backwards and forward in time (think Feynmann diagrams)

Also I don't like C++ for the same reason Linus doesn't - its ugly horrible and easy to gently caress up in. C is elegant and u can do the same poo poo if ur smart and need to. Otherwise just use python or C# unless u NEED to (haskell/erlang for spergin)

lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

One thing that you could do would be to pull out the tubes ONE AT A TIME, look them up for pinout and check to make sure you have:

-continuity between the heater pins
-no continuity between either heater pin and the cathode
-no continuity between the cathode, any grids, and the plate

you're probably going to find dried out caps, too, but stage 1 is to test tubes

please be very careful the guts of that box really could put you in the ground
one hand in your pocket at all times* and move slowly and carefully

*this is so that you don't create a path for HV across your chest with both arms. better it go in one arm and down your body to ground

I've got one hand in my pocket, and the other one's taking potentially lethal voltage.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Doc Block posted:

yes, it's purple. apparently Osh Park orders all their PCB batches with purple soldermask.

:3:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

I've got one hand in my pocket, and the other one's taking potentially lethal voltage.

lmao

yeah i'm terrified of this thing, for now it is a decorative piece. my father-in-law likes to work on tube amps so maybe i'll see if he wants to gently caress with it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Doc Block posted:

the diode is loving enormous

even though i enlarged the through-holes, the diode's leads almost don't fit.

this is very pretty, what'd you use to lay it out

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Doc Block posted:

i see the eagle auto-router hasn't improved

"hey lets route traces 0.5mm from solder points even though there's 10mm of space"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

welp

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eagle is a garbage tool for idiots

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it's not like it's moronically stupid. the solder mask will stop you creating shorts 95% of the time. it's just the auto-router doesn't seem to make the best use of space, and will do things like route really close to a component, or between the legs on a chip when there's another route available.

its main priority is to reduce the number of vias (the plated holes that join the traces on one side to those on the other). on big densely-routed boards that matters because you often have to pay the PCB manufacturer extra if you exceed a certain number (say 500), but for small boards with 10 components it still assumes routing really close to component pins is better if it reduces the number of vias from 4 to 3.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 11, 2014

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bloody posted:

eagle is a garbage tool for idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

- axiom of choice
- the empty set

:stonklol: