Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

quote:

- axiom of inherent uncertainty (nothing u know is ever truely real or knowable!) [i made this one]

So what propositions/results can you derive from your cool new axiom when coupled with your other axioms? That the other axioms are just, like, unknowable man?

Doesn't it imply that your system is inherently contradictory?

For instance, it implies that the axiom of choice may not hold in your system. You could derive the same implication about the uncertainty axiom itself. Where does that leave you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

John DiFool posted:

So what propositions/results can you derive from your cool new axiom when coupled with your other axioms? That the other axioms are just, like, unknowable man?

For instance, it implies that the axiom of choice may not hold in your system. You could derive the same implication about the uncertainty axiom itself. Where does that leave you?

it leaves him ripping a huge bong hit and then farting into the couch

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

John DiFool posted:

dont enable her

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

congratulations, you've invented a crappy version of a sierpinski triangle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Sagebrush posted:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

John DiFool posted:

uncertainty is inherently recursive, and represented by (-i)^4, it's a quaternion if you're using the correct math.

the inherent contradiction IS there, and that, again, is implied by the inherent uncertainty: you can't exhaustively prove it, nor can you inductively prove it... but it is. something to do with godel's incompleteness and completeness theorem's idk go wikipedia them

fun video of those previous graphs: (gently caress screencaps, im 2 busy to install poo poo)

https://vimeo.com/88778661

https://vimeo.com/88778685

remind u of anything???? beginning from absolutely nothing, and ending in something chaotic? happened a v long time ago?

also note the chaotic strucutres.

this theory is utterly insane, it is a GUT theory i guess. but i've got top to bottom basic down now and gonna start crunching actual numbers, starting with physics of the hydrogen atom. and seeing if it works (after all, thats the only way to see if ur insightful or just an idiot)

also playing around with recursive formulae to try and replicate atomic spectra/orbitals

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

that is certainly a work of aut

e: no seriously though the work that must've gone into that :stare:

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 11, 2014

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

i see the eagle auto-router hasn't improved

"hey lets route traces 0.5mm from solder points even though there's 10mm of space"

i'm a strong black woman who don't need no autorouter.

seriously, i laid out the traces by hand. where'd i gently caress them up?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the only actual offensive thing i see is the acute angle on the bottom right of the board between the large copper plane and that trace coming off of it. acute angles are the devils work.

post the other side

or the full layout docs

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

post the other side

Werthog 95 posted:

this is very pretty, what'd you use to lay it out

cadsoft eagle

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

looks pretty inoffensive

too bad about eagle tho

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
what's wrong with eagle?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

everything involving usability primarily

Dec 26, 2012

Doc Block posted:

cadsoft eagle

top left looks a little sketchy imo

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, just didn't want to have a sharp angle. It's only going to an LED, though, so I guess it wouldn't really matter. :shrug:

Anyway, soldered it all up and it works really well. The fan has a little bit more oomph now :science:

Tried to leave a bunch of space around the voltage regulator since I didn't know exactly how big the heatsink was gonna be. Turns out I guessed pretty accurately.

The voltage regulator & heatsink get hot, but not so hot you can't grab them and hold on. The MOSFET gets somewhat warm, but not enough to need a heatsink. The diode gets kinda warm. I wonder if the voltage regulator is just getting overworked. Its output filtering capacitor is 10uF; I wanted to put a 50uF on there to account for the big draw from the motor, but didn't have any on hand and forgot to order some.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 12, 2014

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Doc Block posted:

Yeah, just didn't want to have a sharp angle. It's only going to an LED, though, so I guess it wouldn't really matter. :shrug:

Anyway, soldered it all up and it works really well. The fan has a little bit more oomph now :science:

Tried to leave a bunch of space around the voltage regulator since I didn't know exactly how big the heatsink was gonna be. Turns out I guessed pretty accurately.

The voltage regulator & heatsink get hot, but not so hot you can't grab them and hold on. The MOSFET gets somewhat warm, but not enough to need a heatsink. The diode gets kinda warm. I wonder if the voltage regulator is just getting overworked. Its output filtering capacitor is 10uF; I wanted to put a 50uF on there to account for the big draw from the motor, but didn't have any on hand and forgot to order some.

show us the underside so we can judge your soldering job

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
It's already in the case, or I would.

edit: poo poo, just realized I didn't clean the flux off the board. I'll clean the flux off tomorrow and post a pic.

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent
leave him alone you bullies

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent
i mean docblock not the other guy

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.
I want to make my own 8 bit mini. I went on a binge and bought a 6502 knock off. I also bought 32kb of ram, and 16kb of rom that should be bus compatible. I have something I think will work for a keyboard controller. What I don't know how to do is provide video out. I've thought about just doing a serial interface at first, but I'd rather just start with video out. I can't find anything that will really work. Monochrome is fine. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

stick to serial for now. there aren't really any simple ways to do video. it would be great if there was a single chip solution that looked like a ram chip to the cpu so you could just wire it up and anything you wrote to it appeared on the screen, but there's isn't one that i know of. all you can get are either crt controller chips that require their own ram, an external DAC, and 20 ttl glue logic chips, or 90s-era vga/svga chips which are designed to work from an intel style bus and all come in annoying surface-mount packages and are hard to get hold of in single quantities.

for a basic system i'd go for the z80 over the 6502 as well. the 6502 is a scrub tier processor with weird bus timing that makes using peripheral chips awkward. whereas a z80 will literally work with anything. z80-compatible peripheral chips are far more common, and cheaper too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've never done an actual pre-laid out PCB, now i want to. eagle frustrates me every time i try and i end up just trying to draw all these tiny lines and the traces wont work and ARGH

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

I want to make my own 8 bit mini. I went on a binge and bought a 6502 knock off. I also bought 32kb of ram, and 16kb of rom that should be bus compatible. I have something I think will work for a keyboard controller. What I don't know how to do is provide video out. I've thought about just doing a serial interface at first, but I'd rather just start with video out. I can't find anything that will really work. Monochrome is fine. Anyone have any suggestions?
What's an 8-bit mini?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

minicomputer. he wants to reinvent the apple ii like it's the 70s. sounds like a fun if ultimately futile project

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i mean, you can just walk into any best buy and just buy a computer, dude. they're right there.

Apr 7, 2003

Oh. Minicomputer, like a PDP-8? Those didn't use 6502s and were 12-bit anyway.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Werthog 95 posted:

minicomputer. he wants to reinvent the apple ii like it's the 70s. sounds like a fun if ultimately futile project

gahh that's a microcomputer. also what Tori said.

Apr 7, 2003

It owns that millions of people who think they're really smart misuse the phrase "8-bit" every day.

Apr 7, 2003

*puts on KNOW YOUR ROOTS NES t-shirt*
*was born in 1993*

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Oh. Minicomputer, like a PDP-8? Those didn't use 6502s and were 12-bit anyway.

Dr. Honked posted:

gahh that's a microcomputer. also what Tori said.

i'm young, ignorant, and proud of it.

Apr 7, 2003

Ignorance owns. I love not knowing what things are. Tone in and drop out.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Werthog 95 posted:

ultimately futile project

this should really have been in the thread title for clarity

Apr 7, 2003

I'm curious how much Wintering Stinkbug paid for his $1.26 in obsolete silicon.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

i've never done an actual pre-laid out PCB, now i want to. eagle frustrates me every time i try and i end up just trying to draw all these tiny lines and the traces wont work and ARGH

http://www.diptrace.com/ install diptrace.

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm curious how much Wintering Stinkbug paid for his $1.26 in obsolete silicon.

Shipping and handling was more expensive than the parts. $10 for all the chips together. I think the processor was $6. I had everything else I need.

Guess it wouldn't be that big of an investment to purchase a z80.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

new idiot project: Emmett costume from LEGO movie for local nerdcon. :3:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

this is superior to eagle usability-wise?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tight! thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

Shipping and handling was more expensive than the parts. $10 for all the chips together. I think the processor was $6. I had everything else I need.

Guess it wouldn't be that big of an investment to purchase a z80.

did you take a look at the manuals and circuit diagrams for ye olde microcpmputers? you might find them interesting, such as this one:

http://archive.6502.org/microcomputers/compukit-uk101/compukit_uk101_manual-dr-aa-berk.pdf

it has a VDU interface n poo poo

that's a :britain: version of a :911: micro called the ohio scientific superboard