Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm trying to get my mother off McAfee and I need a recommendation for a good anti-virus program that an old person can use. She is dumb as poo poo when it comes to computers, so i'll be installing it for her but need something that won't confuse her or make her have to interact with it a lot. She likes to open FW;FW;FW still email chains and download music off the internet through filesharing programs. I don't even know if Kazaa exists anymore but she probably uses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
You'll probably get a few different suggestions, but I've always been happy with NOD32. It's not free but it's cheaper than some other AVs and it doesn't hammer system performance. I've been using it for 8 years and have never had a problem with it, it's even stopped a few dodgy URLs in their tracks. It's very unobtrusive too. You don't want your mum to have to "use" an AV, you just want something you can install and forget about it. NOD32 excels at that.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I have no issues with paying for a good program.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

On the topic of good programs that you pay for, Sublime Text is superb.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Read posted:

On the topic of good programs that you pay for, Sublime Text is superb.

I always hear about it, but what advantages does it have over vim or emacs?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

John DiFool posted:

I don't use either so I can't comment on that, though from how much people fawn over vim and emacs I assume they can do comparable things. I would venture to guess though that Sublime Text has a much shallower learning curve and is many times more accessible.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

John DiFool posted:

I like Sublime Text because it does a bunch of convenient stuff right out of the box and it's very easy to use, you don't have to spend time learning how to use it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Sometimes after I come back to my computer that has been locked for a few minutes, my VirtualBox VM is no longer running. It's only using 4GB out of 16GB, why is Windows killing this process?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is it possible that the guest OS is going into sleep or hibernate mode due to inactivity? The default energy saving settings for Windows 7 are to sleep after like 15 minutes or something like that I think.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

John DiFool posted:

From their front page, it looks like Notepad++, vim, and a really easy to use bulk editor/refactorer in one package.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

fletcher posted:

Sometimes after I come back to my computer that has been locked for a few minutes, my VirtualBox VM is no longer running. It's only using 4GB out of 16GB, why is Windows killing this process?

I've never had VirtualBox or Windows shutdown a VM before due to inactivity. What is the status of the VM when you go back to restart it? Is it 'Powered Off' or 'Aborted'?

I doubt it has anything to do with how much RAM is being consumed.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

stubblyhead posted:

Is it possible that the guest OS is going into sleep or hibernate mode due to inactivity? The default energy saving settings for Windows 7 are to sleep after like 15 minutes or something like that I think.

Doesn't look like it, it's a Linux VM and the sleep setting is disabled

John DiFool posted:

I've never had VirtualBox or Windows shutdown a VM before due to inactivity. What is the status of the VM when you go back to restart it? Is it 'Powered Off' or 'Aborted'?

I doubt it has anything to do with how much RAM is being consumed.

Hmmm not sure, I'll have to check next time it happens

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I ... think I'm in over my head. I work at a 50-man department that's a part of a larger group (and Windows domain) within a yet larger organization. Our IT department sees the group we're in as a backwater to be ignored with some minimum of support, so they're tentatively testing Win7, and have no plans to move from office 2007.

The Windows license does allow me to install it on our computers, so I can work around their continued love of XP (and I've cleared that with them). Office, however ...

I'd like to buy a site or at least many-user license of office for the department and upgrade everyone. Given that I'll get no help (though also no opposition) from the people running the domain servers, and that we're not a separate company, what sort of license and price could I possibly get? Should I give up and just keep trying to pressure the central IT people to buy a site license for something newer for everyone?

I have very little idea what sort of deal has been negotiated with MS centrally , and I'm honestly not in a position where I can easily find out. (There are also levels of "centrally". We're a research group; the research supergroup is some hundred people, the hospital conglomerate we're in employs some thousand people, they're part of a healthcare org that's the largest employer in the country, and ultimately it's owned by the state. God only knows which of those layers have negotiated deals.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 11, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You are in over your head, don't make this your problem.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Aunt's laptop had their Windows product key on the bottom of the laptop instead of underneath the battery, it's naturally rubbed off by now, are there any options for having HP/MS tell me what it is?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

thebigcow posted:

You are in over your head, don't make this your problem.

Right. Just for once, I think I'll follow advice given.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Midnight City posted:

Aunt's laptop had their Windows product key on the bottom of the laptop instead of underneath the battery, it's naturally rubbed off by now, are there any options for having HP/MS tell me what it is?

You may be able to recover it from even a broken Windows install using a tool like magic jellybean.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Midnight City posted:

Does the current install still work or is the recovery partition still there? You could extract the key from the install and write it down somewhere else.

You could try asking HP but I don't think you'll get anywhere.

edit: left the tab open too long

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Note that if it was an OEM install of the OS by HP, that the key you recover will not be the one that was actually on the sticker and won't work if you try to use it. If you ever installed it yourself and used that key, then it will at least report back fine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there a way I can tell what's waking my PC up on LAN? I set it to go to sleep after an hour or so, and I leave the WOL feature on in case I want to watch something on Plex or whatever. However, it'll automatically wake itself up even when seemingly nothing on my network is going on.

I'm sure it's some other PC/device pinging the desktop in question for some random reason, but is there a way I can find out what?

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

-Dethstryk- posted:

Note that if it was an OEM install of the OS by HP, that the key you recover will not be the one that was actually on the sticker and won't work if you try to use it.

This is true. But the OEM key will work if you also install the corresponding OEM certificate. The certificates are XML files ending in .xrm-ms. There are tools that will extract your certificate from the tokens.dat file or you can just find them on the web. You can then install it using "slmgr.vbs -ilc filename.xrm-ms". The system should then activate. In fact I believe any OEM key will activate any OEM machine regardless of the manufacturer as long as the machine has the correct licence information in the BIOS (and you've installed the correct edition of Windows).

This is assuming Windows 7, I believe Windows Vista was the same but in Windows 8 it's unnecessary as each machine's BIOS has its own unique key that's detected during install. Before there was just one key per manufacturer and Windows edition.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there a way I can tell what's waking my PC up on LAN? I set it to go to sleep after an hour or so, and I leave the WOL feature on in case I want to watch something on Plex or whatever. However, it'll automatically wake itself up even when seemingly nothing on my network is going on.

I'm sure it's some other PC/device pinging the desktop in question for some random reason, but is there a way I can find out what?

Running powercfg lastwake in a command prompt might give you more information.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My technet subscription is expiring in 2 weeks so I'm about to start the frustrating process of downloading everything just in case. On a 3M DSL line. Any apps that can help with this? Also, can someone recommend a good download manager that's not going to choke downloading 100 files at 2KB/s each?

Doesn't have to be free.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chuu posted:

My technet subscription is expiring in 2 weeks so I'm about to start the frustrating process of downloading everything just in case. On a 3M DSL line. Any apps that can help with this? Also, can someone recommend a good download manager that's not going to choke downloading 100 files at 2KB/s each?

Doesn't have to be free.

You can still download your technet files after the subscription expires, you just can't generate new keys. Generate the new keys first up to your limit on each product.

My basis for that: My technet subscription lapsed 3 years ago, but I can still download the files for the things I got keys to off the technet site.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Install Windows posted:

You can still download your technet files after the subscription expires, you just can't generate new keys. Generate the new keys first up to your limit on each product.

My basis for that: My technet subscription lapsed 3 years ago, but I can still download the files for the things I got keys to off the technet site.

I'd still like to have local copies just in case, since who knows how long the download site will be around after the final subscriptions expire in September.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Running powercfg lastwake in a command prompt might give you more information.

Thanks, but this doesen't really give me any useful information :(

code:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 0

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thanks, but this doesen't really give me any useful information :(

code:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 0
You can check the Event Viewer for Power On events. They'll tell you what device woke up the computer. If you track down the device in Device Manager you can usually prevent it from waking the computer via Properties.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This is kind of a strange question.

I work in a small family office: 5 computers (plus the occasional laptop), all running Windows 7-8. Right I keep everything working by tackling each machine individually and jerry-rigging everything together when there needs to be some sort of connectivity.

I'd like to start using GPOs to make sure all machines are up-to-date and that no-one is running around using admin privileges for everything and basically being a big 'ol infection vector. This would also allow me to centralize and manage user logons.

I don't have much of a technical background, I'm just "good at computers". I also see this as a chance to learn a new skill.

a) Is running a Windows Domain Controller easy enough to do without programming knowledge? Keep in mind I just want to do basic stuff like pushing updates, adjusting GPO policies to reduce as much as possible infection vectors, managing user logons, etc.

b) I Windows Server a requirement for this kind of thing? And if so,

c) What's the most "user-friendly" Windows Server?

d) Any recommended literature?

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 17, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
a) Windows Server is easily administered through a GUI, so you shouldn't have any problem in terms of "programming knowledge."

b) For your purposes, yes. It is possible to setup a Windows 7 computer to be its own "Domain Controller" for the purposes of locking down the account, but it won't help you centralize anything.

c) You use the newest version of Windows Server you can get, but you can probably get away with the "Essentials" version if your company isn't planning on rapid growth or running your own Exchange box or anything.

d) Somebody else will have to answer that, I don't really have anything I can recommend.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 17, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's a nice idea but little merit at small scale. Predominant problem is introduction of a major single point of failure, second is costs and management overhead. Something is seriously going wrong if Windows 7 and Google Chrome cannot keep themselves up to date.

The main issues should be around document management which you can defer to DropBox, Alfresco, or Google Drive.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, if you're using standard utilities you can just put together a Ninite package and schedule a task to run it overnight every so often.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
:ohdear: Hopefully this doesn't count as :filez:, if it does I'll delete my post.

I was wondering what consensus of SA's computer wizards was on buying retail keys of Windows off from Reddit's Software Swap. This is the seller I am looking at specifically. Obviously it is significantly cheaper than buying the retail keys off from Amazon, Newegg, etc. My employer [medical office] has to update 8-10 computers currently running XP to 7 or 8 before the April kill date; XP is working fine for us but if we don't update and get audited or whatever we can be monetarily penalized for the "security risk" of running XP since it will no longer be updated. :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Security risk shouldn't be in quotation marks there, just for the record.

And if you're a business that gets audited you should probably be looking for the most above-board sources you can, an a subreddit sure as poo poo isn't that.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
The computers in question only run our medical records program which is connected to a local network; we wouldn't need them to be connected to the internet really, so nothing is downloaded onto the computers, no web browsing, etc. I quoted "security risk" because of that--I figured the security risk was minimal since random crap isn't being put on the computers. And the audit would just require us to be running a version of Windows which is updated to fix security issues.

It's just the keys we would be purchasing--we would get the ISO from Digital River.

We just want to do something cost effective since it is so many computers affected. Thanks for the input!

Edit: \/\/\/\/ I dunno. Lots of people have bought from that seller and a couple others and have reported no problems... so :shrug:. One of the other sellers said that he got his keys from his "friend" who ran a computer repair shop or something and his key were the "extra/left over" ones...

dentata fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 17, 2014

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I mean, is there a legit reason why this person would have access to so many surplus keys?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

dentata posted:

:ohdear: Hopefully this doesn't count as :filez:, if it does I'll delete my post.

I was wondering what consensus of SA's computer wizards was on buying retail keys of Windows off from Reddit's Software Swap. This is the seller I am looking at specifically. Obviously it is significantly cheaper than buying the retail keys off from Amazon, Newegg, etc. My employer [medical office] has to update 8-10 computers currently running XP to 7 or 8 before the April kill date; XP is working fine for us but if we don't update and get audited or whatever we can be monetarily penalized for the "security risk" of running XP since it will no longer be updated. :(

It doesn't matter if the license activates. If you get audited you will be put through the ringer if the license type is not correct. This guy is probably selling technet or student keys, and you aren't technically supposed to buy OEM licenses for upgrades pricing.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

dentata posted:

We just want to do something cost effective since it is so many computers affected.

Your employer has been using an operating system that has been out for 13 years. I'd say they got their money's worth, and would question why they think they should only pay $20 a license for an operating system. If you are running a business you are going to have operational costs and overhead, which in any legitimate business model, is accounted for in your pricing.

One drawback in your scenario is that all of the licenses could be blacklisted because they all come from the same (probably illegal) source. If one license that redditor sells is cross-referenced back to his account all of his keys will be deactivated. The more licenses he sells the higher the likelihood of this.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012

WorkingStiff posted:

Your employer has been using an operating system that has been out for 13 years. I'd say they got their money's worth, and would question why they think they should only pay $20 a license for an operating system. If you are running a business you are going to have operational costs and overhead, which in any legitimate business model, is accounted for in your pricing.

One drawback in your scenario is that all of the licenses could be blacklisted because they all come from the same (probably illegal) source. If one license that redditor sells is cross-referenced back to his account all of his keys will be deactivated. The more licenses he sells the higher the likelihood of this.

I'm guessing no one here has experience with reimbursement for medical procedures, but no, this type of cost isn't really built into our overhead. Our [and for all providers overall] reimbursement for procedures/office visits has been on the decline for the past several years thanks to lack of funds for Medicare, the PPACA, and several other things. For example, say in the 2000's my provider made $2500 each time he did a total knee replacement. It sounds like a lot of money but the fee he gets for surgery covers his cost for the surgical procedure (which takes 2-4 hours), post operative care in the hospital (he sees you every day you are in the hospital) and outpatient care for ninety days after surgery (so any office visits after the surgery date for 3 months). You know what he gets now when he does one? $1700. The procedure hasn't changed--it hasn't gotten any easier; if anything, things are safer and less expensive for patients due to updates in implants and tools used during the procedure. So how would you like it if your salary or wage went down despite the fact that you are getting more skilled/efficient and doing the same amount of work? There's going to be a huge decline of doctors in the next few years/decades because of declining reimbursement and new rules being set.

This specific cost is thanks to something called "Meaningful Use" which requires medical offices using an electronic medical records program to use them "meaningfully"--aka to their [Medicare's] specific standards; if we don't use our records program "meaningfully" then our reimbursement for Medicare payments gets docked 1% or 2% per year (I think that is the number but it may be more or less than that) and this started in ~2011-2012. So no, this was not "accounted for in our pricing" as you put it. We can charge $5000 for a surgery but if Medicare's rules [or any other insurer] say that they will only pay us $20, then that's all we get and there's nothing we can do about it. This is why some doctors don't participate with certain insurance companies--if their reimbursement rates are too low, then the doctor won't accept the insurance company's contract and won't be "in network." It's hard for us to stay in business if we lose money when we see patients with a certain insurance that doesn't reimburse well. It's even harder for us to stay in business when we have to pay for bullshit stuff such as this and if we don't comply with the rules the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid set, then we LOSE money every time we see a patient who has Medicare for their insurance.

[Sorry if this is sounding mean--I just get so fired up talking about this stuff because it's so frustrating to see this happening and not being able to do anything about it. Healthcare workers, doctors, etc. are overloaded and it's only going to get worse].

The audit is something that would be conducted by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. Essentially to meet this requirement set by them, we have to be running a version of Windows that is still getting updated by Microsoft. They're not going to run the license keys to see if they're legit or if they're retail or OEM or MSDN or whatever.

But yeah, the licenses getting blacklisted is definitely a possibility and I was hoping someone here would mention something like that as I hadn't really thought of that. For the record, my employer isn't pushing to get the keys from Reddit or anything--I am the one who found it and thought it would be a way for us to save some $$$. It seemed a bit shady to me which is why I asked here. My employer would rather buy from Amazon or something unless there's guarantee that there won't be any problems (ever) with the keys.

Edit: If anyone is interested in the BS with "Meaningful Use" and computer security, there's an article here that sums it up nicely: http://www.hitechanswers.net/hipaa-meaningful-use-compliance-windows-xp/

dentata fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 17, 2014

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

dentata posted:

Meaningful use... waiting to the last possible minute.

The HITECH Act didn't sneak up on you guys. Anyone who works in healthcare has been aware of it for at least five years. I'm not busting your balls, but you are assuming a lot thinking that no one else here has had to deal with this. If you really want to cheap out, you could buy off-lease workstations which already come with a Win7 Pro license. Hopefully your EHR software meets meaningful use criteria.

This would be a great chance to come into the modern age by implementing VDI, since you are going to incur training and setup overhead, regardless you may as well take advantage of the incentives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

dentata posted:

I am the one who found it and thought it would be a way for us to save some $$$. It seemed a bit shady to me which is why I asked here. My employer would rather buy from Amazon or something unless there's guarantee that there won't be any problems (ever) with the keys.

I don't know you or anything and all the context I have is these two posts, but I'm going to guess that that savings of a few bucks on behalf of your employer isn't the way you provide value to your employer, and that your actual job here to provision machines that aren't about to fall out of support. Plus, who's the IT guy with the budget who doesn't want to use it?

Or, y'know, whatever.