Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Anyone know if this 7850 is known for being a good overclocker? I've got it pushed to as far as it'll go in CCC, 1050/1500 (I believe), and it's not even hitting 60C. I've tried Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands and Dungeons & Dragons Online. Not the most demanding games, but it still struggles to maintain 60FPS on medium settings in DDO. It's a little chilly in my apartment, but my lovely case has lousy cooling, I feel like something must be wrong. Isn't that a reference cooler? Should I just be grateful? Should I try to go further?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

MondayHotDog posted:

Anyone know if this 7850 is known for being a good overclocker? I've got it pushed to as far as it'll go in CCC, 1050/1500 (I believe), and it's not even hitting 60C. I've tried Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands and Dungeons & Dragons Online. Not the most demanding games, but it still struggles to maintain 60FPS on medium settings in DDO. It's a little chilly in my apartment, but my lovely case has lousy cooling, I feel like something must be wrong. Isn't that a reference cooler? Should I just be grateful? Should I try to go further?

DDO doesn't scale worth poo poo last I checked, MMOs are very CPU heavy.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

deimos posted:

DDO doesn't scale worth poo poo last I checked, MMOs are very CPU heavy.

I wasn't sure if that was it or not. I'm fine in quests but it chugs in Eveningstar. That's with a stock i5 4670. For some reason I can't get dynamic v-sync in Radeon Pro to work with DDO, even if I launch it from that instead of Steam.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Despite your CPU being from the latest generation, it's still going to be the main thing slowing you down. That's the kind of context deimos is talking about with regards to how CPU-bound MMOs are. All CPUs are that bad, and a leet gamur i7-4770K swap-and-overclock with a possible motherboard upgrade to go with just isn't worth the money.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

Good catch, there are three pins for a total of 4.5A or 54W. That quote above confirms Gigabyte cheaped out on power delivery, I guess they're back to their old tricks.
It's weird because the Molex connector provides more than double the power of the SATA power connector (even using the correct 3-pin values), that connector was really only present on ancient boards. Modern boards SHOULD be able to power the slots, or for extreme high-end setups they use dedicated PCI-Express Graphics power connectors on the board for additional +12V power.

My Gigabyte board also has the extra sata power thingy. I never bothered plugging it in and haven't had any issues running 3 290x cards. I don't think I have paid full price for an OS since Vista came out. I always just buy upgrade versions. I think I got both of my 7 copies for around 50 bucks and only paid 20 for Win8 :)

I think I'm going to put my Enermax back in my machine. It has a few years on it, but even then it still has more power. All the rails are 30amp vs the 22amp rails on my Coolermaster.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171034
v
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194039

Until I can get my hands on something new. Still waiting for one of the non-price-gouging companies to get the EVGA 1300 back in stock, cause gently caress Newegg for charging 150 over MSRP.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 10, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I have a question about GPUs and please forgive me if this is dumb but I really don't know the answer.

With modern HDMI GPU cards, the drivers for the GPU also install HDMI audio drivers.

Now, my motherboard also has on-board audio.

Are they one of the same? Should I be preferring one over the other? Should I not be installing one of them? Any difference? :psyduck:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

HDMI audio only goes to your display. If it has speakers (or a headphone jack) that run off of HDMI audio, it's fine. If not, you'll be using the on-board audio.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the reply. So, if I have it attached to a TV/receiver, I should be using the Nvidia audio and should make sure I have the right drivers installed?

I don't use the speaker outs on the mobo, although on my main desktop I do.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You can just install them all. Windows is smart enough to know which ones to use once you tell it which device is your default listening device.
And it'll make it easier if you ever decide to use the other outputs as well.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

My Gigabyte board also has the extra sata power thingy. I never bothered plugging it in and haven't had any issues running 3 290x cards. I don't think I have paid full price for an OS since Vista came out. I always just buy upgrade versions. I think I got both of my 7 copies for around 50 bucks and only paid 20 for Win8 :)

I think I'm going to put my Enermax back in my machine. It has a few years on it, but even then it still has more power. All the rails are 30amp vs the 22amp rails on my Coolermaster.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171034
v
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194039

Until I can get my hands on something new. Still waiting for one of the non-price-gouging companies to get the EVGA 1300 back in stock, cause gently caress Newegg for charging 150 over MSRP.

Didn't you have a power issue? Is there any reason you haven't plugged it in yet? Would be nice if it was just a power limitation of the printed circuits that the SATA could supplement. Of the little information there is on it, the one thing they like to make clear is if you are using more than two GPU's it is "required". Might be apples and oranges, but it actually made a serious difference for just two 660 ti's

Anybody see the new nvidia driver notes? Mentioned expanding the 750 and 750ti clock offset range or something. Maybe they'll be even more neat now

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 11, 2014

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Heise (article in German) apparently heard at the CeBIT that 20nm GPUs are coming out in August (AMD) at the earliest and NVIDIA is talking about Q4'14 and even Q1'15. Nothing too official but it seems that the 780Ti-havers itt can pat themselves on their backs.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

This is a very interesting thread, apparently VT-d'd GPUs are ~1-2% within bare metal on synthetic benchmarks, I am now officially interested in running BM vs. VT-d benchmarks but I guess that means I have to buy a non-K.

Also :laugh:Disk performance is faster under VT-d than bare metal, although not sure why, buffers? Drivers?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The last post on that page found a 2% performance deficit for Windows on Xen vs. bare metal, which is more in line with expectations. On the test you linked to, storage was not kept constant for any of the tests: One test was a 7200 RPM hard drive, one a Samsung 830 SSD, and a follow-up on a Samsung 840.

But I like that VT-d GPUs work so well as I expected. It means you really could set up four gaming stations using an Ivy-E virtualization build rather than four Core i3 boxes.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Is there word on a single-slot 750Ti coming anytime soon? Would be a godsend for mITX builders.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

eggyolk posted:

Is there word on a single-slot 750Ti coming anytime soon? Would be a godsend for mITX builders.

Wait I thought the 750ti was single slot. At least, the reference card is?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

But I like that VT-d GPUs work so well as I expected. It means you really could set up four gaming stations using an Ivy-E virtualization build rather than four Core i3 boxes.

Good catch on the switch between 830 and 840, I didn't notice it.

Honestly I wasn't expecting 2%, I thought it was closer to 5-10%, even running on a hypervisor. I do wonder how well multiple GPUs (each on their lane) would be handled.

How would something like a 690 behave?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

deimos posted:

How would something like a 690 behave?

Like two 680s behind a PCIe switch.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Like two 680s behind a PCIe switch.

I meant more in terms of VT-d efficiency, can you assign one 680 to one VM and another to a different VM? If you can't then you might run into memory locality issues that might tank performance.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

eggyolk posted:

Um, excuse me:

I manage just fine, thank you very much. :colbert:

I was actually disappointed that the GTX 680 isn't as comically large:

Also it looks like I'm gonna sell my GTX 680. I've got nothing on my PC gaming radar for a while and the PC rarely gets turned on anymore. Come on, NVIDIA. Give me an excuse to buy something stupid.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 11, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Um, excuse me:

I manage just fine, thank you very much. :colbert:

I was actually disappointed that the GTX 680 isn't as comically large:

Also it looks like I'm gonna sell my GTX 680. I've got nothing on my PC gaming radar for a while and the PC rarely gets turned on anymore. Come on, NVIDIA. Give me an excuse to buy something stupid.

Dont know why you think you need such a giant case

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Dont know why you think you need such a giant case

Because that wouldn't fit my CPU cooler! Duh!

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I feel weird for having zero interest in small cases when a lot of other people strive for it

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

deimos posted:

This is a very interesting thread, apparently VT-d'd GPUs are ~1-2% within bare metal on synthetic benchmarks, I am now officially interested in running BM vs. VT-d benchmarks but I guess that means I have to buy a non-K.

Also :laugh:Disk performance is faster under VT-d than bare metal, although not sure why, buffers? Drivers?

Iommu is very cool too bad Nvidia segments it so that only quadro class gpus will have it

Also I don't think anyone supports truly virtual gpus just pass through so you would need 2 gpus anyway

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Ignoarints posted:

I feel weird for having zero interest in small cases when a lot of other people strive for it

I really like the idea of a small case with a very powerful computer in it, it's just so cool. Convenient as hell too if you want to take to a friend's place to LAN. My rig is a mid-tower but I'd like the next one to be a lot smaller, nearly all of my drive bays are empty.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

fletcher posted:

I really like the idea of a small case with a very powerful computer in it, it's just so cool. Convenient as hell too if you want to take to a friend's place to LAN. My rig is a mid-tower but I'd like the next one to be a lot smaller, nearly all of my drive bays are empty.

but a normal case is the perfect height to set your bowl on

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ignoarints posted:

I'll stick with my DS1, after putting a two pound CPU cooler in yesterday the thing is heavy enough to tip over and crush and would-be thieves.

But since I'm such a baller, I also went and got a discontinued Sunbeam Lan Party Bag from eBay to move this around with, awesome build quality on those :cool:

Someone needs to make a combination ATX chassis and 500 pound valuables safe.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I'll stick with my DS1, after putting a two pound CPU cooler in yesterday the thing is heavy enough to tip over and crush and would-be thieves.

But since I'm such a baller, I also went and got a discontinued Sunbeam Lan Party Bag from eBay to move this around with, awesome build quality on those :cool:

Someone needs to make a combination ATX chassis and 500 pound valuables safe.

Ah, the last lan party I had was probably 20 years ago with my dad's computers... playing doom 2.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Did someone say giant case?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ignoarints posted:

Ah, the last lan party I had was probably 20 years ago with my dad's computers... playing doom 2.

I use my PC for a few things, it's strong enough to run two copies of FFXIV on two 1080's with two Xbox controllers at the same time, so that's interesting. But I also lug it places to use as a karaoke machine with that Ultrastar app and some USB mics. With all four Xbox controllers I play Broforce with friends, that's a MAN party.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Holy airflow batman! What kinds of temps are your cases running?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Holy airflow batman! What kinds of temps are your cases running?
No warmer than a full-size case. The GTX 680 actually gets more fresh air in the SG-07 then many ATX cases because it's right against the side with vents. And I have a Thermalright AXP-140 on the CPU so my overclocked 3770k stays frosty.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 11, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

Iommu is very cool too bad Nvidia segments it so that only quadro class gpus will have it

Also I don't think anyone supports truly virtual gpus just pass through so you would need 2 gpus anyway

Not for consumers but nVidia GRID does.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
doublepost

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I'm having a weird GPU (GTX 680) problem and I don't really know how to solve it. I used a can of compressed air to blow the dust out from inside my computer and I made sure to get up in the GPU fan too. I actually wound up pulling out a ring of matted dust from inside the GPU fan, so that was nice and gross. Since then, my GPU temperatures have been much higher. It's idling at 40 degrees C and when I ran the Sleeping Dogs benchmark it got up to 81 degrees C over the course of something like a one minute benchmark. The thing is, when it's at 40 degrees C the fan is at 30% and when it was at 81 degrees C the fan was only at 60%. I'm not really sure what I could have screwed up by getting rid of dust, especially if the fan still says it's working (and still looks like it's spinning). I kind of don't want to have to take apart my GPU and replace the thermal paste, but that seems to be the answer I get from Googling. Any idea how I could fix this?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Taking the shroud off and replacing it is way less scary than you think, and if that is at all the cause of your issue, you will be able to fix it 100% as opposed to half-rear end trying to blow air through it in its intakes and exhaust.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Thanks for your answer. I will probably wind up replacing the thermal paste, and thank you for saying that it's less scary than I think because I'm pretty apprehensive about it. It just seems so weird to me that the video card ran relatively cool just a few hours ago, but somehow my blowing dust out of the fan made it worse. I was hoping that there was an easier way to unfuck what I hosed up. Oh well. Thanks!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Well, worse case scenario you hosed up the fan on accident and it's breaking kind of slowly on you. It'll get precipitous pretty quick if that is the case, then you can either get warranty work if it's within warranty, or buy SWSP's 680 and feel justified anger that a fan made to last like nine years failed way, way early.

Unless you, I don't know, are computing in a textile factory or something, no reason for it to be THAT dusty to the point the fan croaks on ya.

If it has failed, though, regardless of why, it's already too late to fix it. Probably. Careful disassembly, lubrication, and reassembly might give it some more life but probably not, if it's busted.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
I don't really think that the fan failed, although I guess I'm not really the best judge. GPU-Z says that the fan is spinning, the fan looks like it's spinning, and it isn't making any weird noises or anything. Hopefully when I take off the shroud I'll find out a little more about what's wrong.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
You probably just pushed a bunch of poo poo in a worse spot. Taking it all off is just like a cpu cooler. Easier really. I'm sure there are exceptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
I just held my hand under the fan (don't know why I didn't do that sooner) and it feels like it's blowing out relatively cool air. I'm going to stop freaking out about it and pick up some thermal paste tomorrow. I'll take off the cover and blow out some dust, and hopefully I won't even have to take off the heat sink or use the thermal paste at all. Either way, a tube of thermal paste doesn't seem like a terrible thing to have around. Thanks for the help!