Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Has anyone here ever used an indoor antenna manufactured by Terk? The model below is on sale at a local store for about $20 (Amazon price is $46) and it seems to have mostly good reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Terk-FDTV1A-Directional-Amplified-Antenna-Black/dp/B001UE8KUW

Basically, my eventual goal is to get a Mohu Leaf, unless I find a cheaper one that's just as good. I recently got a basic $10 Radio Shack rabbit ear antenna, but have only been able to get a few channels at a given time, if any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuck2020
Jan 14, 2007
Been thinking about cord cutting for a while, but I'm concerned about something. Here is a picture of my layout:

That TV is only connected to that component shelf by 1 HDMI that runs into a Denon AVR-2309 receiver. Everything we own flows through that speaker system; the TV speakers aren't even functional. Does the Leaf antenna mentioned in the OP have the ability to connect to a receiver and get passed on to the TV and speakers? I guess I'm just spoiled by turning on the system and never having to worry about fiddling with the TV inputs; I don't want to have to start worrying about that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm watching a lot of BBC News using bbc.co.uk/tv. I'm using Chrome and the Hola plugin. This is working allright, however I'd like to throw this up on my TV rather than having to watch it on my computer.

Is there a combination of streaming device and unblock service that will let me do this? Specifically, I can connect my computer to my HDTV and just drag the screen over, but I'd prefer something where I don't have to have the two connected and just use a remote control to fire up the iPlayer app or something.

I'm fine paying for unblock-us or whatever I need, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's currently using some streaming device to watch BBC News/iPlayer content from outside the UK.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

well just know Roku does not support setting static ip info so you can't use that :(

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I use my Roku and watch BBC and Sky news broadcasts. Last time I checked I was able to watch Al Jazeera as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I use my Roku and watch BBC and Sky news broadcasts. Last time I checked I was able to watch Al Jazeera as well.

I've been googling a little and it looks like UK firmware Rokus have an iPlayer app. Do you have a UK model or do you have a North American model?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I've been googling a little and it looks like UK firmware Rokus have an iPlayer app. Do you have a UK model or do you have a North American model?

North American model. (If this won't work for you because you are from the UK, then I apologize for assuming you were American.) There are separate BBC and Sky News channels. Al Jazeera is through NoWhere TV.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 10, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No no, I'm in Canada :)

Thanks for the info!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm in the same situation and set this combination up today:

Unblock US
+
Plex Media Server on home server laptop (could be any PC)
+
BBC iPlayer Channel for Plex
+
Plex Home Theatre on a Raspberry Pi (doing the actual playing + also has it's own interface that I control with my TV remote) - Could use the Chromecast here or any DNLA compatible TV or the WD TV or the PS3 or any region's Roku I believe.

Added bonus is that you can use this on any device that Plex can stream to... even if you can't get an iPlayer app/similar on it for some reason (e.g. can't install that BBC Media Player app they require).

Been using it today and it works well, and passed the girlfriend acceptability test.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 10, 2014

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

chuck2020 posted:

Been thinking about cord cutting for a while, but I'm concerned about something. Here is a picture of my layout:

That TV is only connected to that component shelf by 1 HDMI that runs into a Denon AVR-2309 receiver. Everything we own flows through that speaker system; the TV speakers aren't even functional. Does the Leaf antenna mentioned in the OP have the ability to connect to a receiver and get passed on to the TV and speakers? I guess I'm just spoiled by turning on the system and never having to worry about fiddling with the TV inputs; I don't want to have to start worrying about that.

I had a similar dilemma when I cancelled my satellite service, my solution was to buy a standalone (set top box) HDTV tuner with an HDMI out that could be placed in the in wall cabinet and run through my receiver. I paid about $40 I think for this.
I wouldnt really recommend that exact model, while it does the job, the IR sensor on the device is pretty crappy and it can be hard to use the remote. But there are other models to looks through.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

emocrat posted:

I had a similar dilemma when I cancelled my satellite service, my solution was to buy a standalone (set top box) HDTV tuner with an HDMI out that could be placed in the in wall cabinet and run through my receiver. I paid about $40 I think for this.
I wouldnt really recommend that exact model, while it does the job, the IR sensor on the device is pretty crappy and it can be hard to use the remote. But there are other models to looks through.

The HomeWorx box looks interesting: http://www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW-150PVR-Converter-Recording-Function/dp/B00CXAE92K/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t
For $5 more, it adds VCR-style recording functionality with a USB drive attached.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Still not terribly keen on being dependent on my computer, but this would be a good stopgap between being tied directly to my PC and all out cutting the cord. Also as good an excuse as any to actually go buy a RPI :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 11, 2014

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Still not terribly keen on being dependent on my computer, but this would be a good stopgap between being tied directly to my PC and all out cutting the cord. Also as good an excuse as any to actually go buy a RPI :)

I feel the same way about being dependent on a server, however, Plex has brought enough benefit to make it very worthwhile overall.

I'll test with a Chromecast tonight to see if it works as well as the RPi

Crasniya
Jun 26, 2013
I'm about to lose it on Hulu. While Hulu+ used to offer me next day viewing on most shows, Hulu's mostly switched to requiring you to connect a cable/satellite account to view shows less than a month after air. I have basic Comcast cable for some reason, but oddly enough... Hulu (owned by Comcast) doesn't support Comcast. (And the show I want to watch is on USA, which is owned by NBC, which is owned by... Comcast.)

So a Comcast site that won't let me connect my Comcast TV service or watch my Comcast show. **** Comcast.

(As a note, I currently also have Netflix, and temporarily, Amazon Prime.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crasniya posted:

I'm about to lose it on Hulu. While Hulu+ used to offer me next day viewing on most shows, Hulu's mostly switched to requiring you to connect a cable/satellite account to view shows less than a month after air. I have basic Comcast cable for some reason, but oddly enough... Hulu (owned by Comcast) doesn't support Comcast. (And the show I want to watch is on USA, which is owned by NBC, which is owned by... Comcast.)

So a Comcast site that won't let me connect my Comcast TV service or watch my Comcast show. **** Comcast.

(As a note, I currently also have Netflix, and temporarily, Amazon Prime.)

So do Bing Rewards and get Hulu+ for free every month? :)

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Heners_UK posted:

I feel the same way about being dependent on a server, however, Plex has brought enough benefit to make it very worthwhile overall.

I'll test with a Chromecast tonight to see if it works as well as the RPi

I've been using my Chromecast with Plex for a few weeks now and it's fantastic. I have no use for my HTPC or XBMC anymore.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't know if you guys saw this:

quote:

CBS may go online, cut off its broadcast signal if Aereo prevails -CEO

March 11 (Reuters) - CBS Corp Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves said the No. 1 rated broadcaster could offer its content directly to consumers over the Internet and cut off its traditional broadcast signal if the Aereo video streaming service is deemed legal.

Major broadcasters are challenging Aereo Inc's use of their television broadcast signals without paying for them. The case will be argued in front of the U.S. Supreme Court in April.

"If Aereo should work, if they should win, which we don't think will happen, we can go OTT with CBS," Moonves said on Tuesday at an investor conference.

OTT is short for "over the top," which is industry parlance for offering television over the Internet outside of a pay TV subscription.

"If the government wants to give them permission to steal our signal, then we will come up with some other way to get them our content and still get paid for it," he said.

Aereo, which is backed by billionaire Barry Diller's IAC/InterActiveCorp, does not pay broadcasters for use of programming that it retransmits to subscribers. Its users pay a low monthly fee to watch live or recorded programs on their computers or mobile devices.

Moonves has previously said that CBS would consider taking its free broadcast channel off the air and turning it into a cable network if Aereo prevails.

At the conference, Moonves added that CBS could go online "if there are systems out there that try to hurt us."
Source: http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=OBR&date=20140311&id=17424222

Emphasis mine. So regarding that asinine quote, aren't commercials supposed to pay for OTA TV? Who's paying for a standard OTA transmission? I understand that the network has to make money, but this is a really petty way to say "if we can't play by my rules, then I'm taking my ball and going home." What an rear end in a top hat.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Source: http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=OBR&date=20140311&id=17424222

Emphasis mine. So regarding that asinine quote, aren't commercials supposed to pay for OTA TV? Who's paying for a standard OTA transmission? I understand that the network has to make money, but this is a really petty way to say "if we can't play by my rules, then I'm taking my ball and going home." What an rear end in a top hat.

The real problem is that if aerio is ruled legal then there is no reason comcast/twc/cox cant do the same thing and stop paying retransmission fees.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those darn thieves are robbing CBS blind with their signal-stealing tools1! CBS needs legislative protection2.

Footnotes:
1. TV antennae
2. Ban unauthorized antennae

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Don Lapre posted:

The real problem is that if aerio is ruled legal then there is no reason comcast/twc/cox cant do the same thing and stop paying retransmission fees.

Do the cable companies pay the broadcasters like CBS fees though? I thought they were forced to carry them by the FCC.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

porksmash posted:

I've been using my Chromecast with Plex for a few weeks now and it's fantastic. I have no use for my HTPC or XBMC anymore.

Where are you storing your Plex media? This is with PlexPass, correct?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Brock Landers posted:

Do the cable companies pay the broadcasters like CBS fees though? I thought they were forced to carry them by the FCC.

Yes. They pay retransmission fees.

http://articles.philly.com/2014-01-06/business/45885511_1_retransmission-fees-tv-stations-similar-fees

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Brock Landers posted:

Pay TV companies would love for the FCC to mandate carriership rather than pay and squabble to retransmit. :v:

If Aereo wins it certainly could set an interesting precedent. I don't know that it would apply 100% to satellite and cable because (at least in some cases) get direct fiber feeds from local affiliates rather than using an antenna. Since it's not technically the same as Aereo (and let's be real, Aereo is tap-dancing down the razor's edge of technicalities) the ruling might not apply.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

porksmash posted:

I've just started using it and it's working mostly perfectly. Very very happy with Plex. (Yes with Plex pass)

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Where are you storing your Plex media? This is with PlexPass, correct?

Correct, with PlexPass. I have a 8-bay Qnap NAS I keep my home movies on. I already had a virtualization server running 24/7 so I added a VM for the Plex server and shut down the HTPC.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What kind of specs are on your Plex server? I'm using the one built into FreeNas and it is kind of poopy, freezing during transcoding and so on.

The FreeNas box is pretty solid too. Quad core 2.6 ghz, 8GB of RAM, SSD hard drive, etc.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I kinda went crazy with it but dual Xeon E5-2620 v2, 64GB of RAM, put into a Supermicro SYS-7037A-I workstation barebones.

Is your RAM usage high on the FreeNAS box? I know ZFS is a RAM whore (if you are using ZFS) and it may be causing a lot of swapping to hard drive.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So thanks to some advice I picked up a Roku 3. Really dig the little box, but I'm kind of bummed that a lot of these channels are pretty low bitrate. A lot of artifacting everywhere. It's not the end of the world or anything, but I was kind of hoping a few of them would look better :unsmith:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
What are your thoughts on Ultraviolet? My current worry is older movies like Airplane! and such that don't come with codes from the blu-ray. I'm not sure if I'd have to re-buy them which is dumb or they just aren't supported leaving my library fragmented. I enjoy the idea of having everything movie wise on 1 app on my Roku. I'm wary of DRM and bandwidth usage but if it's an easy way to keep everything together, I'm willing to budge a little.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

So thanks to some advice I picked up a Roku 3. Really dig the little box, but I'm kind of bummed that a lot of these channels are pretty low bitrate. A lot of artifacting everywhere. It's not the end of the world or anything, but I was kind of hoping a few of them would look better :unsmith:

Most apps like Netflix and Twitch should start off at the lowest qualit and eventually end up at the max your connection supports. Unfortunately a lot of the smaller channels are just repurposing mobile streams.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the default behavior for most streaming services these days seems to be to start the video ASAP at a relatively low bitrate then step it up once it buffers a lot and figures out how much bandwidth you have available. If you want HD from the start then you have to tweak a setting somewhere, and even then it might not do what you want it to.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

berzerkmonkey posted:

There's no way this isn't complete bullshit. If the board and investors didn't cut Les's heart out in some ritual blood sacrifice, the affiliates would dissect him in court.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

What are your thoughts on Ultraviolet? My current worry is older movies like Airplane! and such that don't come with codes from the blu-ray. I'm not sure if I'd have to re-buy them which is dumb or they just aren't supported leaving my library fragmented. I enjoy the idea of having everything movie wise on 1 app on my Roku. I'm wary of DRM and bandwidth usage but if it's an easy way to keep everything together, I'm willing to budge a little.

I originally signed up for Vudu a while back but never really used it. I then received an email about how you can convert DVDs and Blurays to digital copies at home. It is $2 for a DVD to SD transfer or HD to HD transfer and $5 for a DVD to HD transfer. The nice thing is that if you do 10 movies or more, it becomes half off (or $1 a movie). We transferred around 60 movies in a month (and have since added movies here and there from codes).

The biggest problems we have had is having a special edition copy that is not recognized by the VUDU system. Everything else is awesome (and I have contemplated renting movies from Family Video for a dollar and creating digital copies of them too but I have not yet). It is awesome to have a bunch of my daughters movies on VUDU so that they can watch them practically anywhere.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

(and I have contemplated renting movies from Family Video for a dollar and creating digital copies of them too but I have not yet). It is awesome to have a bunch of my daughters movies on VUDU so that they can watch them practically anywhere.

You might have issues here, as some rental copies are differently mastered and you might have issues getting it to ID them as well.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Brock Landers posted:

This is how it USED to work, and some smaller channels can elect to not charge, but enforce "must carry" rules to get the eyeballs.

But many years ago this changed and the broadcast stations can demand payment. If they can't come to an agreement, they forgo the "must carry" rules, which is why you get situations where a channel is taken off for a period while sandy vaginas reign supreme.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

You might have issues here, as some rental copies are differently mastered and you might have issues getting it to ID them as well.

Newer movies would definitely be a problem but the older movies (from 2-3 years ago and before) should just be the DVD set. When I worked there, we even had to go to Walmart to purchase some movies (I think Miramax or Weinstein titles) because our warehouse distributor did not carry titles from that production company(s).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm getting a QNAP TS-220 NAS thingy basically for free (though without HDs).

Currently I keep videos and stuff on my computer's HD to stream to a Roku using Plex. I know that this particular NAS can't transcode, so I would probably move my movie/music files over to it and keep Plex running on my computer.

Could this arrangement affect streaming performance through Plex? Is a USB3 connection likely to be a bottleneck in this situation?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

withak posted:

Could this arrangement affect streaming performance through Plex? Is a USB3 connection likely to be a bottleneck in this situation?

If you're using USB 3 I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I transcoding all the time on USB 2 and am generally fine.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

withak posted:

Currently I keep videos and stuff on my computer's HD to stream to a Roku using Plex. I know that this particular NAS can't transcode, so I would probably move my movie/music files over to it and keep Plex running on my computer.

Which part would be connected via USB? The appliance you linked is a NAS, which is connected over the network, not USB.

In any case, I have a similar setup, albeit with a Synology device, without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fillerbunny posted:

Which part would be connected via USB? The appliance you linked is a NAS, which is connected over the network, not USB.

In any case, I have a similar setup, albeit with a Synology device, without issue.

Yeah for some reason I was thinking that connecting it via USB was an option, which would kind of defeat the purpose.