Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Octo1 posted:

So I guess the 10 Dispositions are:

1) Aggressive
2) Benevolent
3) Clever
4) Cruel
5) Deceptive
6) Diplomatic
7) Honest
8) Passionate
9) Stoic
10) ???

ALMSIVI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pillars of Eternity: [Shrug] [Stoic - Minor]

Looking forward to playing this!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Drifter posted:

Are the [minor] and [average] things chance of failure, success or something else entirely?
They're relative levels of reputation increase: Minor, Average, and Major. Major is pretty rare and is for severe things like

[Push wagon full of puppies into the tar pit in front of eagerly waiting orphans.] [Cruel - Major]

Octo1 posted:

1) Aggressive
2) Benevolent
3) Clever
4) Cruel
5) Deceptive
6) Diplomatic
7) Honest
8) Passionate
9) Stoic
10) ???
The 10th is Rational, sort of a counterpart to Passionate.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

rope kid posted:

[Push wagon full of puppies into the tar pit in front of eagerly waiting orphans.] [Rational - Average]

How are Orphans going to take care of those puppies anyways :colbert:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

rope kid posted:

> Goddamnit Jim we can't just leave them down there to die! [major: passionate]

> Conversely Doctor, if we are to save the colony that is exactly what we must do. [major: rational}

Can we get [Having your cake and eating it] as a third eleventh trait?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Wezlar posted:

How are Orphans going to take care of those puppies anyways :colbert:

You just took dinner away from a crowd of starving orphans, how is that not cruel!

Those puppies would have lasted them at least a week.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

rope kid posted:

[Push wagon full of puppies into the tar pit in front of eagerly waiting orphans.] [Cruel - Major]
Didn't Thomas Edison do something like that once as part of his smear campaign against Tesla and Westinghouse?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

X_Toad posted:

Didn't Thomas Edison do something like that once as part of his smear campaign against Tesla and Westinghouse?

It was one of his low-paid workers, Edison just took credit for it :colbert:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

X_Toad posted:

He electrocuted an elephant (condemned for killing cruel a human keeper and subsequently being aggressive toward others) to show the "dangers" of alternating current.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Wouldn't stoic be the analogue of passionate? I guess you could add "hedonist" in there to clarify. Book it JSaw

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.
Will a dialogue choice ever get you points in multiple reputations? Like, "I'm going to save those puppies and you're going to help me, or else!" [Benevolent - Average][Aggressive - Average]

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dr. Demon posted:

Will a dialogue choice ever get you points in multiple reputations? Like, "I'm going to save those puppies and you're going to help me, or else!" [Benevolent - Average][Aggressive - Average]
It can, but it's pretty uncommon.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rope kid posted:

It can, but it's pretty uncommon.

It'll be really interesting to play this without those tags on each conversation options. It's nice that I have enough faith in Obsidian's writing team to be able to do that. :allears:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

dude spoilers!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe the cruel orphans are eagerly waiting to see puppies get cruelly murdered, and you'll gain enormous reputation gains with them?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

rope kid posted:

They're relative levels of reputation increase: Minor, Average, and Major. Major is pretty rare and is for severe things like

Where's Jerk?

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
I asked about this before but how would "clever" dialogue options for low INT characters appear? Just out of curiosity or guess I lack the ability to imagine such dialogue.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
11th option is Goon. Available via DLC.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

turboraton posted:

I >sigh< as I unsheath my katana [Anime/Goon - Average]

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Wouldn't stoic be the analogue of passionate? I guess you could add "hedonist" in there to clarify. Book it JSaw

Stoic is the counterpart to Epicurian. :colbert:

Please let me play an Epicurian adventurer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

turboraton posted:

*Tips fedora* Fear not, my lady, I have no need of this coin or of your gentle graces. Saving you was all the reward I need. [Goon - average]

*Deeply bows* Many thanks, m'lady, but I can see that though others may speaketh of your fine beauty, you are too fat for me to find attractive. And also a lesbian. Please avert your gaze, for I am discomfited when speaking to you. [Cruel - minor, Goon - major]

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

rope kid posted:

Rational, cruel, "the ends justifies the means" chanter, here I come. :getin: Thank you, Rope Kid.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

[Return to abandoned first born son, sacrifice him to robot devil.] [Bender - Major]

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fintilgin posted:

Did Bioware really have legal trouble over mods? Given the shear volume of crazy poo poo pumped out for Elder Scrolls games that seems unlikely.

I always figured it was more of a thing where mod tools are expensive, consoles were the focus, and some exec at Bioware (*cough* EA) made the decision to not support modding.

Naw, I worked closely with the guys who worked on the Community Expansion Packs and stuff and they mentioned these problems when I asked about the whereabouts of a Star Wars total conversion mod that was being worked on. It was pretty poo poo, but still got a C&D from Lucasarts.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
[That's genuinely cool, but we didn't Kickstart a game called gently caress You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG Experience where I do whatever I personally think is sound and neat and good.][Diplomatic - Major]

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Octo1 posted:

1) Aggressive
2) Benevolent
3) Clever
4) Cruel
5) Deceptive
6) Diplomatic
7) Honest
8) Passionate
9) Stoic
10) ???

10) Meh

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I think it would be hilarious if you could go all JRPG Hero and subsist the entire game as a silent protagonist. Given that it's obsidian I bet they could still give you lots of character and agency- Just look how drat well they did pre-surgery Christine in Dead Money- but still, not a single spoken word...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Kind of like what they just did in South Park?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
gently caress that, NPCs should start giving you poo poo if you're renowned for your silence. Like a villain taunting you that if you just speak up he'll stop his plans. Or more simply a drunk guy taunting you to say something if you aren't stupid like we're in highschool and someone's jinxed.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

GetWellGamers posted:

I think it would be hilarious if you could go all JRPG Hero and subsist the entire game as a silent protagonist. Given that it's obsidian I bet they could still give you lots of character and agency- Just look how drat well they did pre-surgery Christine in Dead Money- but still, not a single spoken word...

If '...whatever.' isn't a dialogue option in every dialogue branch, someone's doing their job wrong.

rope kid posted:

Do they all come in 'pairs' then?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

CottonWolf posted:

Do they all come in 'pairs' then?

Doesn't look like it:

Aggressive
Diplomatic

Benevolent
Cruel

Honest
Deceptive

Passionate
Rational

Stoic

Clever

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It could be if you got a few of those combinations wrong.

Passionate/Rational was confirmed, right? Honest/Deceptive seems a good fit.

What if...

Aggressive
Stoic

Benevolent
Cruel

Diplomatic
Clever

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, I went with Honest/Deceptive and Benevolent/Cruel. But I couldn't make any of the others link up in a way that didn't feel like I was really stretching. Aggressive/Stoic works, but Diplomatic/Clever doesn't make too much sense...

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
If "Clever" means "genre-aware jerk" like it does in Dragon Age 2, then Diplomatic/Clever pairing would work, but that's probably too narrow an interpretation of "Clever" to be useful. Side note: being a genre-aware jerk is the only tolerable way to play DA2.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Stoic could have an "Emotional" counterpart, where the main character breaks down crying every time an NPC gives a sob story leading up to a quest.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Are people going to react based on combinations of reputations? If you pick passionate, aggressive, and cruel responses are people going to go "he's passionate, aggressive, and cruel" or will they add it together and go "he's basically a psychopath".

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

IIRC New vegas people reacted to you having a mixed reputation because when you did good things for a faction and then bad things to them your reputation with them didn't end up just neutral, you'd be considered unpredictable or something along those lines. That's purely within an individual faction's reputations though. Having 10 different ones probably means there are too many combinations for there to be regular checks on said combinations. Would be cool if there were some one off instances though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

AG3 posted:

Stoic could have an "Emotional" counterpart, where the main character breaks down crying every time an NPC gives a sob story leading up to a quest.

"SJW"

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Mordaedil posted:

Diplomatic
Clever

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Sterling Archer is more or less the antithesis of diplomacy

• Locked thread