Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Just took out my 72 hour ribs and chilled them in a sink full of ice water. There was a little gassing but nothing concerning but the outside of the meat had a greenish-grayish-brownish tinge. No funny smell, just intense beefy-ness. Two of the bags had liquid the other two had the liquid turn into jelly instead. Trimmed and blocked the meat and re sealed. Juices in a container ready to reduce into sauce. Kept the bones to blanch them or dry them or whatever for service in a ridiculous manner like MC showed.

I hope I don't kill everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Ultimate Mango posted:

On the plus side it will be an amazing last meal. :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Just took out my 72 hour ribs and chilled them in a sink full of ice water. There was a little gassing but nothing concerning but the outside of the meat had a greenish-grayish-brownish tinge. No funny smell, just intense beefy-ness. Two of the bags had liquid the other two had the liquid turn into jelly instead. Trimmed and blocked the meat and re sealed. Juices in a container ready to reduce into sauce. Kept the bones to blanch them or dry them or whatever for service in a ridiculous manner like MC showed.

Same thing happened to me. You didn't happen to sear them beforehand, did you?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So I was listening to the Giant Bombcast and they mentioned Sous-vide, and well, it seems pretty awesome. Is there a general consensus on which immersion circulator is best? I read the OP and its between the Anova and the sansaire for me...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I was listening to the Giant Bombcast and they mentioned Sous-vide, and well, it seems pretty awesome. Is there a general consensus on which immersion circulator is best? I read the OP and its between the Anova and the sansaire for me...

Those are both so last week. We're all about dunking the tip of an oxymapp torch in grape juice now.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Those are both so last week. We're all about dunking the tip of an oxymapp torch in grape juice now.

Can you recommend me a grape juice? I'm deciding between Welch's and homemade.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Ignoring the Nomiku because of its $300 price tag, between the Anova and Sansaire it's kind of a wash.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

Depends on whether you want an LCD screen or a rotating control, or whether you like screw-on or clip-on.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
But... the Anova used to cost $300!!!

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
You'll be happy with either, but the Anova is better :smug:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sansaire Supremacy

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

But seriously it's not likely anyone bought both, I'd buy whichever seems cooler to you they're both fine.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Same thing happened to me. You didn't happen to sear them beforehand, did you?

I did not sear them before. I will reheat at 60 again and torch before glazing.

It's just weird the color they turned.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cheezit posted:

Awesome, thank you for the recommendation! I saw that on Amazon and wasn't sure. Do you use a pump to circulate water, as well? How much water can it heat?

I can't find the original pump I bought, basically spend a little more than :tenbux: or else it will fail quickly if you do a few veggie soaks at 180F. I had a $20 one and it circulated amazingly. I killed it by forgetting to drop the probe in my bath and came back in 30 minutes and it had been boiling. :mmmhmm: Now I just use something cheaper from Harbor Freight and it has been working for at least 6 months with no issues.

The heater was designed to heat up 5 gallon buckets, so it should be fine for most applications. The limit of heat from 15A/120v service in American homes is going to be around 5-10 gallons anyway depending on the emissivity of your container. Certainly fine for my applications.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Chemmy posted:

But seriously it's not likely anyone bought both, I'd buy whichever seems cooler to you they're both fine.

Just because I haven't received my Sansaire doesn't mean I haven't bought both :colbert:

I think right now Anova edges out because you can actually order them.

Then again, now we have to get into a holy war dictating that the black Anova is the best Anova, because it is.

And I say this as having owned both a red and a black.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

mine is blue

its pretty much the best one

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Re: Sansaire vs. Anova, I'd say the Anova is a better recommendation right now because the Sansaire only very recently went into mass production. Who knows, maybe there is a faulty part in the first batches that will fail in 50% of the units in 6 months.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
I may be mixing things up in my head, so I may be completely wrong here...was either the Anova or Sansaire developed by a team/company that made laboratory-grade equipment?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

My whole meal this evening was puddled. 72 hour short ribs, straight from Modernist Cuisine including sauce and toppings (minor herbal modification due to allergy requirements). Glazed carrots and radishes, straight from a local farm this morning. Celery root and potato purée that ended up being more mashy in terms of texture but it was fantastic. For the mash I did the potato first to retrograde it then chilled, then back in with celery root slices, cream, butter, and lemon zest. The lemony purée was great with the short ribs, thanks whoever suggested that here.

Totally incredible. I thought MC was crazy with the microwaving and frying tediously separated strands of flank steak but the crunchy beef with fried shallots and herbs was great with the beef.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
At first I thought that was a pile of beets and the whole dish was vegetarian. Even though I'm an avid meat addict I have to say I'm mildly disappointed that it wasn't.

Looks gorgeous though! I'm personally working on a modified chicken porchetta recipe that will be done in the sous vide.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ShadowCatboy posted:

At first I thought that was a pile of beets and the whole dish was vegetarian. Even though I'm an avid meat addict I have to say I'm mildly disappointed that it wasn't.

Looks gorgeous though! I'm personally working on a modified chicken porchetta recipe that will be done in the sous vide.

"Done sous vide" or "Cooked with the immersion circulator/in a water bath", "sous vide" is the cooking method, cooking something "in the sous vide" is the same as cooking it "in the roasted".

What are you trying to work on? http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/11/the-food-lab-turkey-porchetta-thanksgiving-recipe.html

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yep that one, just using chicken instead of turkey and I'm using half the recipe for the seasoning paste.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
I ordered my Anova on Friday, got an email from them warning me it was about 10 business days before it would ship. Just now got my shipping confirmation email that it will be here at the office this week!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Featured Creature posted:

I ordered my Anova on Friday, got an email from them warning me it was about 10 business days before it would ship. Just now got my shipping confirmation email that it will be here at the office this week!

Me too! Can't loving wait to sous vizzle some spare ribs.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I need a way bigger water basin: it would've come in handy for pasteurizing my mead must before pitching the yeast. Currently I'm just using a 2.5-gallon stock pot and it's way too small.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Nerdy lawyer girlfriend used to work as a server/bartender/cook for many years so got her an anova for her birthday, she had no idea what to expect despite many hints but was very appreciative :)

We haven't gotten around to short ribs yet but everything else has been loving amazing. It's been barely two weeks and we've already done corned beef twice, a little roast beef, two batches of ribeyes and some lovely sirloin tip roast. Tip roast went in for 36 hours at 135 degrees with typical mexican-y spices and a little lime juice, came out falling apart like pulled pork, perfect for tacos or enchiladas or whatever. Sous vide corned beef is unfuckingbelievably awesome if you enjoy corned beef in the first place, I'm one of those people who orders a reuben from every restaurant. Buy it vacuum sealed and put it in at 160 degrees for 36 hours, it's like refrigerated butter when it's done, honestly kind of bizarre texture if you're not expecting it but gently caress it's amazing, and the bag juice is great for cooking potatoes cabbage and carrots.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Wow I can't wait for this to come out.

https://www.shopstarter.com/p/1708738346/the-searzall/

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Awww yeah!

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Why is this better than just throwing it in a pan at high heat?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Oh for the love of krishna, just go back 10 or so pages in this thread (or was it the GWS product recommendation thread?)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I should start going around and making fun of restaurants that have salamanders. Don't they know they can just use a cast-iron??

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

deimos posted:

Oh for the love of krishna, just go back 10 or so pages in this thread (or was it the GWS product recommendation thread?)

I dunno cause apparently I can't find it... god forbid this thread is used for, gasp, discussion!

edit: I literally don't get why one is better than the other but I would love to know. I am a terrible idiot when it comes to cooking which is why I want to try sous-vide (it seems simple).

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 11, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Why is this better than just throwing it in a pan at high heat?

Output's higher than your typical home burner.

Also:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Output's higher than your typical home burner.

Also:

But I thought too high of a heat made it taste bad? Also I have no idea what I'm looking at in that graph. But basically does it cook faster with a torch on the outside without warming the inside too much?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Using a pan is still going to be my mainstay, but the Searzall has potential for touch-ups, gentler proteins (seafood, foie gras), etc, as it gets the outside hotter while delivering less overall heat (and it allows for more efficient evaporation of moisture as it heats the up-facing side). It doesn't strictly dominate pan/broiler given that a pan still delivers more heat, but it's a useful tool for any SV setup.

The extreme reaction is because a lot of experienced posters who know better have claimed that it has no point - you got hit by some backlash, sorry, didn't know it was an honest question

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 11, 2014

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

No Wave posted:

Using a pan is still going to be my mainstay, but the Searzall has potential for touch-ups, gentler proteins (seafood, foie gras), etc, as it gets the outside hotter while delivering less overall heat (and it allows for more efficient evaporation of moisture as it heats the up-facing side). It doesn't strictly dominate pan/broiler given that a pan still delivers more heat, but it's a useful tool for any SV setup.

The extreme reaction is because a lot of experienced posters who know better have claimed that it has no point - you got hit by some backlash, sorry, didn't know it was an honest question

So the basic answer is, it is probably better, but a pan will do just fine?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So the basic answer is, it is probably better, but a pan will do just fine?
Use a pan with no hesitation. Searzall has uses, heck some might prefer it after it comes out, but pan will continue to be the bread and butter of SV searing for most/many people.

I've never actually used it (few people have), so there's still not much known about its actual performance in a home kitchen. Seems fun tho and the videos look nice.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

No Wave posted:

Use a pan with no hesitation. Searzall has uses, heck some might prefer it after it comes out, but pan will continue to be the bread and butter of SV searing for most/many people.

I've never actually used it (few people have), so there's still not much known about its actual performance in a home kitchen. Seems fun tho and the videos look nice.

Thanks I really appreciate it. :)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I prefer cast iron pan sear over Iwatani for beef steaks and pork chops. Obviously I don't have the Searzall yet but apart from spreading the heat more I don't see it making enough of a difference to sway me. Maybe niche applications.

(I'll still buy a Searzall and whatever torch they recommend/support)

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Regarding pan searing, here's some good advice than can make or break your experience. Use plenty of oil. I skimped for far too long, and you just don't get enough contact that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I went for the Searzall on Kickstarter and got the recommended Bernz-O-Matic torch to go with it. The torch is awesome (can be seen in use in a previous post on mine in this thread I think), and short of buying a restaurant grade salamander (shut up I want one my oven broiler sucks) this will be as good as I can get.

What I will probably do in ideal weather will be to puddle meat and then put it on the IR burners on my outside grill and torch from the top. Should get nice crust in seconds that way.

Leftover 72 hour short ribs with modernist Mac and Cheese is freaking incredible. I swear I gained five pounds last weekend.