Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

geetee posted:

Regarding pan searing, here's some good advice than can make or break your experience. Use plenty of oil. I skimped for far too long, and you just don't get enough contact that way.
That really depends on what you're searing. For poo poo that's shaped irregularly (like a shank or rib or something) using more fat and doing the arroser thing helps. But for your generic slab of protein---a steak, pork chop, that kind of thing---you get better crust if you use as little oil as you can get away with. You can just use your tongs (or turner or whatever the gently caress) to help insure good contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I backed the searzall too, but I'm pretty sure the only use it will ever get is fixing missed spots on ribeyes where the bone doesn't let the meat contact the pan quite enough.

And maybe drunken grilled cheese.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SubG posted:

That really depends on what you're searing. For poo poo that's shaped irregularly (like a shank or rib or something) using more fat and doing the arroser thing helps. But for your generic slab of protein---a steak, pork chop, that kind of thing---you get better crust if you use as little oil as you can get away with. You can just use your tongs (or turner or whatever the gently caress) to help insure good contact.

This is something I don't think I ever get right.

With a steak, I'll dry it off from the sous vide, salt it, and then crack a cast iron pan up on the oven, usually about 8/10 on the electric stovetop. Eventually, it will start to smoke and my infrared thermometer reads around 5-600 degrees. If I put oil (best I have is canola) in it, it immediately smokes and I've heard that's bad (one time it caught fire when I was using a stainless pan).

So...people say a screaming hot cast iron, but really how hot do I want it? Do I need to buy some rapeseed oil or something (I think that would even be too low a smokepoint).

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Anyone with a Sansaire mind telling me how loud theirs is? All the reviews I hear make it sound as if they can barely hear the thing from a few feet away. Mine makes a very noticeable whirring noise that dips in volume every 3 seconds or so, and can be easily heard from 20+ feet away. Is this to be expected?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

nwin posted:

This is something I don't think I ever get right.

With a steak, I'll dry it off from the sous vide, salt it, and then crack a cast iron pan up on the oven, usually about 8/10 on the electric stovetop. Eventually, it will start to smoke and my infrared thermometer reads around 5-600 degrees. If I put oil (best I have is canola) in it, it immediately smokes and I've heard that's bad (one time it caught fire when I was using a stainless pan).

So...people say a screaming hot cast iron, but really how hot do I want it? Do I need to buy some rapeseed oil or something (I think that would even be too low a smokepoint).
If you're having trouble with your oil, put the oil in a cold pan and then heat it until it starts smoking, then throw your protein in then regardless of what the thermometer reads. If you don't get the kind of crust you want out of that, get an oil with a higher smokepoint.

Although if your hob is putting out enough heat that you're smoking whatever oil you're using, you could just try searing them dry. Like seriously make sure your steaks are dry on the surface, don't use any oil on your cast iron, throw it down, it'll release when it's ready, done. If your seasoning isn't righteous, if the cooking surface isn't lava loving hot, or if your steaks are still damp on the outside this'll be a bloody goddamn mess, but if you've got your ducks in line it'll work fine.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SubG posted:

If you're having trouble with your oil, put the oil in a cold pan and then heat it until it starts smoking, then throw your protein in then regardless of what the thermometer reads. If you don't get the kind of crust you want out of that, get an oil with a higher smokepoint.

I had thought about doing this before...but somewhere I thought I had read you should always heat the pan first, then oil...but I don't think this would make any loving difference.

edit: Serious Eats to the rescue.

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 12, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

nwin posted:

I had thought about doing this before...but somewhere I thought I had read you should always heat the pan first, then oil...but I don't think this would make any loving difference.

edit: Serious Eats to the rescue.
I always pre-heat my pan initially to get rid of any moisture - I don't inspect my pans very closely and sometimes there's a few drops of water that spit at me if I don't (THIS IS SUPER MINOR, IT IS JUST WHAT I DO). If I'm searing, I add oil after a bit and wait so that the oil will come to temp.

Also lol that pan they're using to sear the ribeye (ok article tho)

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

SubG posted:

I think we're just going need to disagree, or my definition of plenty of oil is similar to your definition of as little oil as possible. I tried minimizing for a while and always ended up with an uneven sear. Depending on the pan, 2 or 3 tablespoons gives me just enough depth to ensure even heat transfer. I'm getting beautiful crusts, so I'll just keep sticking with what works for me.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Full Circle posted:

Anyone with a Sansaire mind telling me how loud theirs is? All the reviews I hear make it sound as if they can barely hear the thing from a few feet away. Mine makes a very noticeable whirring noise that dips in volume every 3 seconds or so, and can be easily heard from 20+ feet away. Is this to be expected?

Mine had two noises. The first was the regular hum of the motor. Not silent but I could live with it. Then the louder whirring rattle noise that I could hear three rooms away. I had a lengthy email exchange with the sansaire team and they said to take off the cover and look at where the propeller shaft came into the bottom section. Indeed it was pressed up against the plastic and was making the louder noise. They advised that I pull on the shaft to get it away from the plastic. The fix seemed to work but I am not totally happy with the extra vibration from the best shaft just to keep it from making the other noise.

So at least look at the shaft and see if it contacts the plastic hole where it comes down from the top. If it's another noise email them and get a replacement.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
The searz-all would be great to finish things like a SV bone-in chicken breast since the skin cannot lay flat on a pan.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just saw this post on Slickdeals, a fancy Foodsaver V3460 is marked down to $30 or so on clearance at Lowes: http://slickdeals.net/f/6781754-foodsaver-v3460-vacuum-sealing-system-34-lowes-ymmv Price will vary based on your store unfortunately, but it looks like a great deal.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
89.99 in my neck of the woods(Denver). Not a meaningless discount, but not quite so steep.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
I've done two sets of steaks in my Sansaire so far and I seem to be having some problems with the sear. After I unbag the steaks after cooking they are super moist past the point where I can just pat them dry like if I were cooking them normally. I feel like in order to get a dry surface to sear on I'd have to squeeze a lot of the moisture out of the steak which I'm loathe to do.

Full Circle posted:

Mine isn't noticeable unless I'm standing right next to it in my kitchen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

novamute posted:

I've done two sets of steaks in my Sansaire so far and I seem to be having some problems with the sear. After I unbag the steaks after cooking they are super moist past the point where I can just pat them dry like if I were cooking them normally. I feel like in order to get a dry surface to sear on I'd have to squeeze a lot of the moisture out of the steak which I'm loathe to do.
Don't squeeze (it won't do much anyways). A lot of people like to leave on a rack overnight.

I haven't seen a perfect solution for this, either, and it's probably the main reason I don't vizzle absolutely everything.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, just wrap them in paper towels to get the surface moisture off. Don't worry about squeezing - you can't squeeze the moisture out of a cooked steak.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I pat with paper towels, and if it's still wet i'll use more paper towels

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Any suggestions for corned beef? I read the seriouseats.com article but wondered if anyone has any suggestions or experience to offer.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

Just saw this post on Slickdeals, a fancy Foodsaver V3460 is marked down to $30 or so on clearance at Lowes: http://slickdeals.net/f/6781754-foodsaver-v3460-vacuum-sealing-system-34-lowes-ymmv Price will vary based on your store unfortunately, but it looks like a great deal.

Holy poo poo, there was one left at my local Lowes...$36.62 out the door, amazing. Now hopefully they actually have one and it's not just their stocking system messing up telling me that there is one in stock.

Thanks for this.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is 67 a very good deal for one?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

No Wave posted:

Don't squeeze (it won't do much anyways). A lot of people like to leave on a rack overnight.

I haven't seen a perfect solution for this, either, and it's probably the main reason I don't vizzle absolutely everything.

Blow dryer.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MAPP torch.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Wookums posted:

Is 67 a very good deal for one?

They are $121 at Amazon so that's still roughly 50ish% off.

e:

Just grabbed mine and it was the display until (that was the 1 they had left). All the stickers/warp and stuff where still on with no obvious damage so for $35, whatever. Brought it home and it does what it's supposed to do.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 13, 2014

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I just found one near my house for $30ish. Excited about this pickup.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
I noticed on the PolyScience website it says not to use dairy products (butter) when cooking for over four hours, but I haven't seen this anywhere else. Is there any basis for this? If so, why wouldn't it be true for any animal fats. Seems like as long as it's above 130 it shouldn't matter what kind of fat you're using.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
We've been trying to figure that out a few pages ago, actually. AFAICT it should be safe in a closed container, so I'm really curious what they're basing that on.

Edit:
I've emailed them to ask

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 13, 2014

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
My new Anova puddle machine just arrived! I'm so drat excited to use this thing. Any suggestions on a foolproof first recipe to impress the wife with?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Huge_Midget posted:

My new Anova puddle machine just arrived! I'm so drat excited to use this thing. Any suggestions on a foolproof first recipe to impress the wife with?

The first things that I did that wow'd me were eggs or pork chops. Both are on serious eats.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Huge_Midget posted:

I just got mine on Tuesday. Steak for dinner and poached eggs the next morning were both (comparatively) quick and fantastic.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Huge_Midget posted:

Skin-on chicken breast (1:35 at 61°C). Especially if you don't normally eat chicken breast because it's dry and bland (this is neither). Just season, seal, puddle and finish skin-down until crispy and delicious.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

Well, they're all gonna be foolproof, but I find good sea bass to be really really good (cook at 118 for 30 minutes, no searing necessary)

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
So I got a Cambro with a lid for my Anova and I'm looking for some advice on cutting a lid in the top and adjusting the side to fit the screw a little better. I think someone previously recommended a nibbler, but I am looking for the cheapest and easiest way to do this with something I can pick up from Home Depot or Lowes. Any suggestions?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Random Hero posted:

So I got a Cambro with a lid for my Anova and I'm looking for some advice on cutting a lid in the top and adjusting the side to fit the screw a little better. I think someone previously recommended a nibbler, but I am looking for the cheapest and easiest way to do this with something I can pick up from Home Depot or Lowes. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't use a nibbler on plexiglass I'd be scared that the whole thing would just crack. Do you have a jig saw? You can get plexi-blades pretty cheap at both places.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

geetee posted:

I think we're just going need to disagree, or my definition of plenty of oil is similar to your definition of as little oil as possible. I tried minimizing for a while and always ended up with an uneven sear. Depending on the pan, 2 or 3 tablespoons gives me just enough depth to ensure even heat transfer. I'm getting beautiful crusts, so I'll just keep sticking with what works for me.
Whatever works for you works for you, so don't let me talk you out of it. But if you're working with a nice flat piece of protein you probably just need a hotter surface or to get in there more with your tongs to ensure good contact.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Random Hero posted:

I used a dremel with some kind of abrasive cutting blade. Worked great. Used a sanding tip to get rid of sharp edges and I am happy with the results.

In other news my sansaire noise was not really fixed by pulling the shaft so they are sending me a replacement.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Ultimate Mango posted:

I used a dremel with some kind of abrasive cutting blade. Worked great. Used a sanding tip to get rid of sharp edges and I am happy with the results.

Thanks! I was leaning towards getting a dremel for this and a few other projects.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The dremel flex head add on would make it even easier to do

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So I noticed in the OP there is a link to a sousvide guide on the iphone. Unfortunately I have a droid and such a guide doesn't exist. My anova arrived today and I was hoping to find a good webpage guide/easy to use droid app that contains all relevant temperature and cook times for various types of foods?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

The dremel flex head add on would make it even easier to do

I have a pretty big cordless dremel and even that was totally simple. One of the disks more melted than cut the plastic, but it worked fine. Do it outside though, there will little tiny bits of plastic dust flying everywhere. Would have been a huge mess inside. I probably should have worn a mask, too.

I actually want a larger container and a second Sansaire.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I noticed in the OP there is a link to a sousvide guide on the iphone. Unfortunately I have a droid and such a guide doesn't exist. My anova arrived today and I was hoping to find a good webpage guide/easy to use droid app that contains all relevant temperature and cook times for various types of foods?

bagsoakeat.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Safety Dance posted:

bagsoakeat.com

Awesome thank you! Any recommendations on a good cut of beef to try and sous vide for the first time?

Also for this website, I'm assuming this is assuming the meat is not frozen correct but room temperature or how does it work, because wouldn't the temperature of the meat affect the cook time?