Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Welp just finished WoR yesterday and was really happy with how good it was, I didn't really love the first book but this really had a whole lot of story and a lot of characters becoming even more awesome. My only fear is that Sanderson will not deal with power creep well and Kaladin will be super powered like Vin was in Mistborn.

Also WRT Dalinar What the hell does a bondsmith do? Is his power just to unite others? Because from my understanding he isn't going to be getting a shard blade out of his deal with the Stormfather.

Actually what do all of the schools of magic do? Not just their oaths but the actual powers they get, as far as I know we have only seen Edgedancing, Windrunning, and Lightweaving to any real extent but my reading comprehension when I am reading books I enjoy is pretty crappy so I probably missed tons of things.

I really really liked Lift's chapter and wish we got more of her, she was much more fun than most of the other characters in the book and it was actually a nice change of pace from the somber brooding mood that most of Kaladin's chapters were.

We don't know, yet - We know pretty much poo poo all about Voidbinding and Old Magic, I'm pretty sure we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with the Fabrial magic system, and the surges we haven't seen haven't been spoiled by Sanderson in any real detail as far as I know. He seems to like to keep most of the underlying rules of a magic system secret until they are revealed in the book or until the book series is over, in which case he will explain some of the 'behind the scenes' details. A lot of the rules will be involved in plot twists, so keeping them under wraps is to his advantage to keep people on their toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
If these cosmere tie-ins are anything more substantial than easter eggs for fans it's not going to do the series any favors. Minor characters being from other novels? Fine. Minor allusions to magic systems from his other novels? Fine. More than that I think would be detrimental.

I finished WoR last night and I enjoyed it a great deal, I thought it was paced better than TWOK with the plot twists and major clashes. Not concerned about it getting too bloated at all with the different factions as long as it keeps to the limited number of viewpoint characters to keep the story moving forward.

Wait... There is a link between Mistborn and Stormlight?

King's Wit/Hoid was a minor character in the Mistborn series, it's the same person in the Stormlight books, Sanderson's novels are all part of the same universe called "The Cosmere," whatever. Easter eggs that hopefully stay that way. There's more but blegh. BLEGH.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

There's a link between everything.

Almost.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Wolpertinger posted:

We don't know, yet - We know pretty much poo poo all about Voidbinding and Old Magic, I'm pretty sure we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with the Fabrial magic system, and the surges we haven't seen haven't been spoiled by Sanderson in any real detail as far as I know. He seems to like to keep most of the underlying rules of a magic system secret until they are revealed in the book or until the book series is over, in which case he will explain some of the 'behind the scenes' details. A lot of the rules will be involved in plot twists, so keeping them under wraps is to his advantage to keep people on their toes.

Yeah that's what I figured, kind of like Hemalurgy wasn't really revealed until book 3 of Mistborn, but we knew it existed before hand. I just wasn't sure if I missed something in the little chapter lead ins that revealed some deeper meaning of surgebinding.

I really really loved this book though and it feels like Sanderson has come really far as a writer from the Mistborn trilogy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Shallan's flashbacks were loving devastating. Especially the first one after Ch 7, and then especially how the last one echoed the first. I think Kaladin's flashbacks in the first book only hit that mark maybe 1/3 of the time (and were incredibly tedious the rest).

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Sanderson has said that the Cosmere cross-over stuff will remain simple references and Easter eggs until the third trilogy of Mistborn, where they'll use allomancy for FTL travel or something. But that's way down the road.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I hate my memory. I didn't remember who Sadeas was from book 1 so I googled and stumbled upon massive spoiler. Thanks coppermind.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

api call girl posted:

Shallan's flashbacks were loving devastating. Especially the first one after Ch 7, and then especially how the last one echoed the first. I think Kaladin's flashbacks in the first book only hit that mark maybe 1/3 of the time (and were incredibly tedious the rest).

My issue with the first book was Kaladin was just a brooding loser the entire book and Shallan seemed like a spoiled girl trying to solve some problem that I didn't really care about. This book made Shallan an awesome character and made Kaladin even more of a brooding loser.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

If there was ever a shard you could trust not to gently caress with you, it'd probably the the one called 'Harmony'. Then again, the cosmic personification of harmony probably becomes compelled to stamp out people who want to cause enough chaos and disorder to upend any harmony or balance, so who knows. However Odium is probably pretty much the closest you can get to the opposite of Harmony and is one of the most, or the most, powerful shard, so aiding anyone opposing him is probably something Harmony would feel obliged to do, even if it wasn't Sazed. I wouldn't be surprised if Harmony gave Hoid a couple of 'gifts'. It could be how he became a Feruchemist - the quintessential Harmony magic. Helping Hoid, the enemy of Odium, become uber-powerful helps balance out the conflict.

I'm pretty sure he had feruchemy before mistborn, since that's what Hoid's been using to figure out where to go in the earlier books as well.

Also, member of the worldsingers, and the ancient terris guys were the worldBringers? Gotta be a connection there

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My issue with the first book was Kaladin was just a brooding loser the entire book and Shallan seemed like a spoiled girl trying to solve some problem that I didn't really care about. This book made Shallan an awesome character and made Kaladin even more of a brooding loser.

At least everyone was calling him out on it. Even Dalinar, who is a total killjoy by nature, told him to stop being a dick all the time.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Only thing I can see about Sanderson saying the cosmere stuff is going to be minor easter eggs etc - how does that effect (end of book)nightblood

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Xemloth posted:

Only thing I can see about Sanderson saying the cosmere stuff is going to be minor easter eggs etc - how does that effect (end of book)nightblood

It probably doesn't affect the story itself. Nightblood generally already behaves much like a Roshar Shardblade, only substituting Breath for Stormlight, though I suppose as forms of Investiture they're mostly the same to begin with. Point is, Szeth wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

api call girl posted:

It probably doesn't affect the story itself. Nightblood generally already behaves much like a Roshar Shardblade, only substituting Breath for Stormlight, though I suppose as forms of Investiture they're mostly the same to begin with. Point is, Szeth wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Szeth's already noted that Nightblood's not your typical Shardblade. And that's before it started talking.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

cap601 posted:

Szeth's already noted that Nightblood's not your typical Shardblade. And that's before it started talking.

*handwaves* it'll still pretty much cut stone, eat/burn souls, probably get powered off Stormlight which won't be a problem if Szeth is a Surgebinder now without the need of an Honorblade ... it just won't vanish and resummon like one. *handwaves*

also what's kind of interesting is "live" Shardblades, being spren, do talk

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tunicate posted:

I'm pretty sure he had feruchemy before mistborn, since that's what Hoid's been using to figure out where to go in the earlier books as well.

Also, member of the worldsingers, and the ancient terris guys were the worldBringers? Gotta be a connection there

I'm waiting for the worldDingers, an ancient order of baseball players

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, here's a version of that chart from the first book endpages with annotations for heralds and orders and surges and stuff.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You don't get your own stormplate until you go Super Saiyan, obviously. I mean, the Shattered Plains are basically just the spot where Goku changed for the first time in the dawn ages, right?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
This wiki page has great info on the various orders of Knights Radiant and their abilities - http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Knights_Radiant

EDIT: Don't read it if you haven't finished WoR like I did. It has end-of-book spoilers, like the known members of the Orders.

EDIT2: Non-spoiler explanation: The idea is that there are 10 Orders of Knights Radiant, and 10 corresponding 'Surges' (powers, basically). Each order has the ability to access 2 of the surges, and they share 1 of them with another order. Thus, each Order of Knights has a combination of two special powers and has its own clever name like 'Windrunners' or 'Stonewards'. The diagram above visually shows each Order and which Surges they have access to. All orders get their powers the same way (sucking up stormlight).

syphon fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 12, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

api call girl posted:

*handwaves* it'll still pretty much cut stone, eat/burn souls, probably get powered off Stormlight which won't be a problem if Szeth is a Surgebinder now without the need of an Honorblade ... it just won't vanish and resummon like one. *handwaves*

also what's kind of interesting is "live" Shardblades, being spren, do talk

Most shardblades aren't created with the single command 'DESTROY EVIL', though

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Just finished Words of radiance.

Holy poo poo.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lobsterpillar posted:

Most shardblades aren't created with the single command 'DESTROY EVIL', though

Also most shardblades aren't as metal as a sword that need to kill to live. :rock:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Anyone else thought that There were way too many "He/She/It "died", but is actually alive?
This is making me believe that Highprince Sadeas will return in book 3.

All and all, not the best Sandersons book, but improvement over the Way of Kings.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
I thought that as well. The return to life reveals really stole some thunder from the book in my eyes.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

So, Dalinar gets tension and adhesion... I could see those being useful.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Here's most of the crossover stuff I'm aware of.

Elantris, Warbreaker, Emperor's Soul, Mistborn, Stormlight, Alloy of Law - are all in the same universe. Odium is not, in fact, native to Roshar and came in and ruined things after Honor and Cultivation and possibly? a forgotten third god created that world. Odium is the reason that Elantris broke, and apparently killed one or both of the gods in the Elantris world, which is why it was such a shitheap. Ruin, Preservation, Devotion (the god that gives the Elantris people their magic), Endowment (the god that gives Breath to people in the Warbreaker world), Odium, Honor, and Cultivation are all part of the same 'pantheon', and are in fact all people like Sazed that inherited godliness somehow and ended up creating a bunch of worlds. There's apparently 16 'shards' overall, which are all fragments of a supreme god that died - this is part of why Ruin and Preservation formed into a greater whole, since they were supposed to be together from the start.

Vasher from Warbreaker is Zahel. Hoid is Wit, and has also been in every single cosmere book, usually being some almost unnoticed extra or side character observing the main characters. Hoid stole the second to last bead of Lerasium just before the finale in Well of Ascension. Hoid also recently acquired perfect pitch, which shows that he's got a bunch of Breath in him, too. Sanderson mentioned at some point that Hoid was a feruchemist as well. In one of the interludes from Way of Kings, at least one character from Elantris was spotted, searching for Hoid. In the little letter snippets in Way of Kings, it's implied that Hoid is writing it to someone else also on Roshar, and it mentions how Ati wasn't that bad of a guy before he took up a shard. (Ruin was named Ati when he was human - Atium. Preseveration was Leras - Lerasium). There's probably more that I've missed.

Odium is probably one of the major villains of the entire overarching plot, considering he actively seeks out and destroys other shards on other worlds, leaving ruined worlds in his wake.

Apparently, some/all of the origin stories of this pantheon + hoid will be explained in a future Dragonsteel series. They're all apparently from the 'original' world created by the original god.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

adhuin posted:

Anyone else thought that There were way too many "He/She/It "died", but is actually alive?

All and all, not the best Sandersons book, but improvement over the Way of Kings.
I don't think so. In all of the other examples, the characters either escaped 'death' via magic or got magicked back to life by a 4500 year old semi-crazy god-tier character right after getting killed. Sadeas got stabbed in the brain and left for dead for hours if not days. I think his death advances the plot more than his life does.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

I don't think so. In all of the other examples, the characters either escaped 'death' via magic or got magicked back to life by a 4500 year old semi-crazy god-tier character right after getting killed. Sadeas got stabbed in the brain and left for dead for hours if not days. I think his death advances the plot more than his life does.

I'm 100% sure he's permanently dead for real.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

adhuin posted:

I felt this way until Wit ends up talking to Jasnah and saying there's things he needs to talk to her about. I also felt like she was too awesome to go down like a punk which isn't a deal breaker, i'm just glad she's not gone yet. The fact that she knows things Hoid doesn't is awesome. Secondly I was really annoyed with Szeth until he's presented with Nightblood in which case things just got a whole lot more metal. He also makes a good antagonist

I also think this is his best book to date. Emperor's Soul is 100% awesome, this is like 90% awesome, but given the difference in length and scope I'm willing to give the award to WoR

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Wolpertinger posted:

Sanderson mentioned at some point that Hoid was a feruchemist as well. In one of the interludes from Way of Kings, at least one character from Elantris was spotted, searching for Hoid.

So Hoid/Wit basically has access to at least two sets of magic systems, breath and feruchemy. At any point, he could also turn himself into a mistborn by eating up the bead of lerasium he's been keeping for a rainy day. Plus he might even have Taln's honorblade!

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

enigma74 posted:

So Hoid/Wit basically has access to at least two sets of magic systems, breath and feruchemy. At any point, he could also turn himself into a mistborn by eating up the bead of lerasium he's been keeping for a rainy day. Plus he might even have Taln's honorblade!

Holy poo poo, it's like Hoid is treating magic systems like they are Pokemon.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Hopeford posted:

And hopefully not being controlled by twitch...

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Hopeford posted:

The logical conclusion is that he's collecting the powers of each shard in order to use them to stop Odium and/or reunite the shards.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lawlicaust posted:

The logical conclusion is that he's collecting the powers of each shard in order to use them to stop Odium and/or reunite the shards.

Dragon Steel is basically just going to be a retelling of Mistborn, except its Hoid leading a gang of people from around the Cosmere in overthrowing Odium.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

adhuin posted:

There is no way. After all, Nalan went out of his way to say that brain damage is something that can't be repaired, and Adolin went out of his way to stab Sadeas though the brain.

End of book: Anyone think Kaladin will use the Honorblade to heal Hobber?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

enigma74 posted:

Plus, he has at LEAST one more than that - none of the books we've seen are where he was born, which means he has at least one more of some sort of magic that allows world-hopping - and who knows what else it could do - apparently several of the systems we've seen so far are capable of allowing worldhopping. Shallan/Jasnah seem to be the closest, as apparently Hoid worldhops by travelling through Shadesmar somehow, and apparently the Elantris dudes managed to enter Shadesmar at one point as well, but it was apparently 'extremely difficult' for them to figure out as worldhopping was a big of a square peg to the round hole of Elantris magic (I'm guessing due to the fact that you have to be near the actual city for the magic to function?). Allomancy will apparently manage to get FTL travel by abusing the hell out of physics loopholes opened up by Allomancy, which would allow them to reach other worlds, as they're all in the same physical universe, too - this will apparently happen in a distant Mistborn trilogy, as things get more 'modern' and then eventually sci-fi.

Another thing I forgot about, one that's briefly mentioned in Way of Kings - the Elantrians are apparently part of some sort of worldhopping organization called the 'seventeenth shard' that is looking for Hoid but isn't working with him, (but not necessarily against him?). This organization has a member who is the one that writes the Ars Arcanum at the end of every single sanderson cosmere book, and explains why it gets more detailed as the books go on - they're 'researching' the magic of that world and discovering the specifics as the series goes on. It's apparently always the same person who writes it, too.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 12, 2014

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Have we gotten hints on who's the ultimate bad guy in the Cosmere? Ruin was Mistborn's bad guy. Odium is Stormlight's. I imagine the fabled Dragonsteel is going to have an enemy so powerful they'll need a veritable Justice League of the Cosmere.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Superstring posted:

Have we gotten hints on who's the ultimate bad guy in the Cosmere? Ruin was Mistborn's bad guy. Odium is Stormlight's. I imagine the fabled Dragonsteel is going to have an enemy so powerful they'll need a veritable Justice League of the Cosmere.

I dunno - Odium MIGHT be the one, but I doubt he's going to be the final big bad - but who knows? He's traveled to several worlds, and murdered several gods, which as far as I know makes him unique - and it's implied that he was a psychopath even before he became a god, so he could fit!

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

Elantris, Warbreaker, Emperor's Soul, Mistborn, Stormlight, Alloy of Law - are all in the same universe. Odium is not, in fact, native to Roshar and came in and ruined things after Honor and Cultivation and possibly? a forgotten third god created that world. Odium is the reason that Elantris broke, and apparently killed one or both of the gods in the Elantris world, which is why it was such a shitheap. Ruin, Preservation, Devotion (the god that gives the Elantris people their magic), Endowment (the god that gives Breath to people in the Warbreaker world), Odium, Honor, and Cultivation are all part of the same 'pantheon', and are in fact all people like Sazed that inherited godliness somehow and ended up creating a bunch of worlds. There's apparently 16 'shards' overall, which are all fragments of a supreme god that died - this is part of why Ruin and Preservation formed into a greater whole, since they were supposed to be together from the start.

Vasher from Warbreaker is Zahel. Hoid is Wit, and has also been in every single cosmere book, usually being some almost unnoticed extra or side character observing the main characters. Hoid stole the second to last bead of Lerasium just before the finale in Well of Ascension. Hoid also recently acquired perfect pitch, which shows that he's got a bunch of Breath in him, too. Sanderson mentioned at some point that Hoid was a feruchemist as well. In one of the interludes from Way of Kings, at least one character from Elantris was spotted, searching for Hoid. In the little letter snippets in Way of Kings, it's implied that Hoid is writing it to someone else also on Roshar, and it mentions how Ati wasn't that bad of a guy before he took up a shard. (Ruin was named Ati when he was human - Atium. Preseveration was Leras - Lerasium). There's probably more that I've missed.

Odium is probably one of the major villains of the entire overarching plot, considering he actively seeks out and destroys other shards on other worlds, leaving ruined worlds in his wake.

Apparently, some/all of the origin stories of this pantheon + hoid will be explained in a future Dragonsteel series. They're all apparently from the 'original' world created by the original god.

Well, holy poo poo, I didn't catch that perfect pitch thing either even though it stood out as something that was from another Sanderson story. drat, drat, drat, I also couldn't figure out why the black seething sword was familiar. drat

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013
Just chiming in to say WoR was excellent and Pattern is my new favorite story character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

I dunno - Odium MIGHT be the one, but I doubt he's going to be the final big bad - but who knows? He's traveled to several worlds, and murdered several gods, which as far as I know makes him unique - and it's implied that he was a psychopath even before he became a god, so he could fit!

From the chapter headers I got the impression that the other shards(?) have Odium trapped on Roshar and are willing to write the world off as long as he remains imprisoned. It's my thinking Odium will get taken care of within the span of Stormlight Archive and the ultimate evil will eventually be taken care of in Dragonsteel.