Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hadji murad posted:

What is Valeria's relationship to Dr Doom? Why does she call him Uncle?

He delivered her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

He delivered her.

He's also her godfather isn't he?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Originally, she was introduced by Claremont as the alternate future child of Doom and Sue. Then during the subsequent Pacheco/Marín/Loeb run she was retconned into being the baby Sue miscarried back during Byrne's run who had been plucked out of time by Franklin and placed in the alternate future where Sue and Doom raised her. In their last story she was regressed to a foetus and put back in Sue's womb, and she was subsequently delivered by Doom in the very short Adam Warren/Mark Bagley run that immediately preceded Waid's arrival. I think it all falls under Marvel's "it happened, but we don't talk about it any more" policy regarding continuity.

v:v:v

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Zachack posted:

That's not how I read what I quoted because I largely agree with what you posted, although I would also opine that I don't see anything wrong with Bunn going completely off the ranch if it means a better story. Granted, change enough and the question of "why is this called Magneto when it's a story about a bald older guy who gets sent back in time to hunt cursed guns that lock the gate of hell in the old west" will start to crop up, but I'm not going to reject out of hand a story about a metal-controlling holocaust survivor just because in this version he has a good relationship with his daughter. Creators ideally would have the freedom to use character history if desired, not because of some obligation.

But what you posted, to me, doesn't come across as "acknowledging his dumb past". It comes across as using the current snapshot of character and its relationships and telling a story from there.
I see where you're coming from, and I'm totally cool with non-continuity stories and politely ignoring things, but the problem with the "who really cares?" model is when you do place a story within continuity and decide to acknowledge/contradict things willy-nilly, not just out of some sort of 'purity' to the characters or some high-handed concept like that, but in terms of storytelling and the implicit agreement with the readers.

Having read Bunn's first issue of Magneto, it definitely takes place in the same overall story as Bendis's Uncanny X-Men, and he references ruling a jungle kingdom, living among the stars, leading nations, etc. A lot of this is circumstantial (and one issue in it absolutely doesn't matter if he spent any time in the Savage Land given the story we're actually shown), but he did do those things. If you accept that in the Magneto story by Cullen Bunn that Magneto is a former ruler of nations, you should also acknowledge what happened in those stories. I'm not saying "be sure to mention Zaladane" but I am saying "the character you're using here used to be involved with Rogue, and killed a lot of people, and had a strained relationship with his children."

I mean, assuming Wanda and Pietro never show up in the comic, or even if he flashbacks a reconciliation between the two somewhere, fine, but all of those things are part of Magneto's history. They can be minimized or readjusted but at a certain point yeah, even if you think they're minor aspects, they probably shouldn't be contradicted or ignored. Or at the very least the people involved should have a solid justification for fudging it, not just "well poo poo I don't know that's not what I wanted to write."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

He delivered her.

Metal Loaf posted:

Originally, she was introduced by Claremont as the alternate future child of Doom and Sue. Then during the subsequent Pacheco/Marín/Loeb run she was retconned into being the baby Sue miscarried back during Byrne's run who had been plucked out of time by Franklin and placed in the alternate future where Sue and Doom raised her. In their last story she was regressed to a foetus and put back in Sue's womb, and she was subsequently delivered by Doom in the very short Adam Warren/Mark Bagley run that immediately preceded Waid's arrival. I think it all falls under Marvel's "it happened, but we don't talk about it any more" policy regarding continuity.

v:v:v

Let's just go with the first explanation.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Skwirl posted:

Let's just go with the first explanation.

Hell last time it was referenced I'm pretty sure it was just hand waved as negative zone/cosmic rays pregnancy complications that only Doom had the facilities and know-how to deal with.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SirDan3k posted:

Hell last time it was referenced I'm pretty sure it was just hand waved as negative zone/cosmic rays pregnancy complications that only Doom had the facilities and know-how to deal with.

And as compensation, Doom demanded that she be named "Valeria".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Waid subsequently revealed that it was all part of a scheme to make her into his magical familiar.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for the information about Valeria.

No thanks for the too much information about Valeria.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Four words:

"Created by Chris Claremont."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It should come as a surprise to absolutely no-one that he originally wanted to make Kitty Pryde a regular character (as Franklin's new live-in governess), but then Excalibur ended and she was put back in the X-Men so he had to come up with something else.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Four words:

"Created by Chris Claremont."

That Claremont Fantastic Four run is a real shitshow. I've read the issues and I don't think I could explain the plot of it to save my life.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Metal Loaf posted:

It should come as a surprise to absolutely no-one that he originally wanted to make Kitty Pryde a regular character (as Franklin's new live-in governess), but then Excalibur ended and she was put back in the X-Men so he had to come up with something else.

I take a small measure of comfort in knowing exactly how a Chris Claremont run on Dr. Who would play out. It almost makes up for the skeeviness of knowing exactly how a Chris Claremont run on Dr. Who would play out.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Hey, has anyone read the Dark Horse "Grindhouse" series at all? I noticed it at my LCBS today and was curious if it was any good before I plunk down any cash. It's apparently six issues in, and looks like (with me just guessing) it might be an anthology series of sorts?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So what the gently caress is up with the Summers family?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

StashAugustine posted:

Got a few hours?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

StashAugustine posted:

Their dad is a space pirate and that's probably the most normal sentence of any explanation you'll get.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Here is the family tree

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's covered a little in the last All-New X-Men or Guardians of the Galaxy in prep for Rucka's Teen Cyclopes and Space Dad comic.

e: Does current Rachel Summers know she'd been with grown up Franklin in the future? It hasn't been alluded to in any modern X-Men of Fantastic Four story I've read.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 12, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That chart is incorrect, Adam X is not the 3rd Summers brother. It's Vulcan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That chart is incorrect, Adam X is not the 3rd Summers brother. It's Vulcan.

Also some characters that they say are dead, are alive like Cable. Also Vulcan is on the chart.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Vulcan's there on the chart too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Also some characters that they say are dead, are alive like Cable. Also Vulcan is on the chart.

Missed that, but he's in the wrong spot.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just finished Alias (great stuff) and towards the end there was a breakout in the Raft. Was it the same breakout in the opening arc of New Avengers, or was that a different thing? Both had the Purple Man in it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

I just finished Alias (great stuff) and towards the end there was a breakout in the Raft. Was it the same breakout in the opening arc of New Avengers, or was that a different thing? Both had the Purple Man in it.

Different. Purple Man appeared in the Breakout arc and Luke Cage was there.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Rhyno posted:

Missed that, but he's in the wrong spot.

He's also in the right spot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

He's also in the right spot.

Alex should be second and then Vulcan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought DKen was Vulcan's dad? poo poo, I need to re read some lovely X-Men comics I guess.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

bobkatt013 posted:

Alex should be second and then Vulcan.

The branches just correctly display their progenitors, not birth order. There's also a formatting issue where Alex would need to be on the outside in order to illustrate the relationship with his adoptive family.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I thought DKen was Vulcan's dad? poo poo, I need to re read some lovely X-Men comics I guess.

I thought Kathrine Summers was pregnant when they were captured and removed the baby after they killed her.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 12, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nope, apparently Katherine Summers was like two months pregnant or something when they went on that fateful trip.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Wait, Hope's mom is also named Hope Summers?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That chart sure makes one ask a lot of questions that can all be answered with the phrase "because the 1990s"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Wait, Hope's mom is also named Hope Summers?
She was named after her!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This is making me more confused. (Although I do love that his great-grandfather is only 'presumed' dead.)

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I love that Scott's grandparents are alive and left him in an orphanage run by a super villain.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

redbackground posted:

She was named after her!
I thought Hope's real name is Spaulding and only changed it when Cable adopted her?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I thought Hope's real name is Spaulding and only changed it when Cable adopted her?

From Wikipedia

quote:

During one of the first battles with Bishop, Cable's time traveling device is damaged, so he can only jump into the future, instead of the past, when he needs to escape Bishop each time he finds them. After several jumps into the future, it is revealed that Cable has taken her to the secluded safe haven of New Liberty in the future, where Cable marries a woman named Hope, who is like a mother to the mutant baby.Finding relative peace there, he raises her with Hope until she is seven years old. But then New Liberty is invaded by humanoid insects who called themselves the United States Army, later calling themselves humanoid Blattarians. Cable fights them and leaves New Liberty with his wife and her in order to make sure New Liberty does not fall. After spending months in the wasteland, the family is attacked by the president of the insects, whom Hope manages to save her family from by stabbing the insect in his weak spot, since she has been watching Cable fight. Cable questions the president where he finds out that Bishop, in order to find Hope in the future, has destroyed all the continents in the world and left them uninhabitable, except North America, in order to box them in, find her and kill her. Cable kills the president, and the family moves on. The family encounters a settlement, but are met with resistance. Cable takes care of them easily, but not fast enough, as Hope is shot and dies in Cable's arms while the girl watches. The girl sees Cable bury the closest thing she ever had to a mother and departs with him. After arriving at a church, the pastor asks the name of the child. In that moment, Cable decides to name her Hope Summers, in honor of her adoptive mother.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You know, people bitching about all the current time travel shenanigans in X-Men clearly aren't long time X-Men readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Skwirl posted:

You know, people bitching about all the current time travel shenanigans in X-Men clearly aren't long time X-Men readers.

No they are just sick and loving tired of it and extra pissed that Bendis changed the rules because by the old ones the original 5 could actually die or even change as it stands now they are blatantly immortal and immutable in that annoying "wink, wink all comic-book character are" way.