Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Stormlight is supposed to be 8 more books, Mistborn 5 more, Whitesand 3, Steelheart 2, Elantris 1, Dragonsteel 7(?), and 10 other miscellaneous projects.

That's around 36 books Sanderson already has a concept for. If you gave him 100 years G.R.R.M. couldn't write that. If you gave me 10 I couldn't read that. I fully expect Sanderson to have all this done in 17 years. The man doesn't even vaguely qualify as human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Stormlight is supposed to be 8 more books, Mistborn 5 more, Whitesand 3, Steelheart 2, Elantris 1, Dragonsteel 7(?), and 10 other miscellaneous projects.

That's around 36 books Sanderson already has a concept for. If you gave him 100 years G.R.R.M. couldn't write that. If you gave me 10 I couldn't read that. I fully expect Sanderson to have all this done in 17 years. The man doesn't even vaguely qualify as human.

I know, isn't it great? However, I zip through his books so goddamn fast that if you gave me a month and all 36 books I could probably put a significant dent in it (as long as they all aren't Stormlight length, anyway - some of his books are short-medum length, so). A 36 book Sanderson binge would be the most joyous thing. :allears:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure we've got at least 7 more Mistborn books. Alloy of Law and its sequel aren't part of the second trilogy last time I checked. It was supposed to be more modern day.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 12, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
7 mistb...

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Superstring posted:

From the chapter headers I got the impression that the other shards(?) have Odium trapped on Roshar and are willing to write the world off as long as he remains imprisoned. It's my thinking Odium will get taken care of within the span of Stormlight Archive and the ultimate evil will eventually be taken care of in Dragonsteel.

Odium was trapped on Roshar by the Oathpact made with Honor (and cultivation?) - the group represented by the author of that letter has a stated policy of noninterference. Their attitude seems to be more like "luckily, Odium was trapped on Roshar, we shouldn't do anything that might gently caress that up".

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Odium isn't on Roshar; he's trapped on a second planet in the same solar system. It's almost certainly the hell like place that Heralds go while dead.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The one thing GRRM does well is keeping the reader somewhat on their toes with regards to people dying, in Mistborn and Stormlight I never thought Vin, Kaladin, Shallan, etc would ever die despite being in danger almost all the time. I think sometimes it is necessary to kill characters and I think that Sanderson is unwilling to do it until the climax of books. I really feel like loss can make a story stronger especially when someone the reader really relates to kicks the bucket and it isn't just a noble sacrifice that ends up beating the big bad.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

Wolpertinger posted:

Another thing I forgot about, one that's briefly mentioned in Way of Kings - the Elantrians are apparently part of some sort of worldhopping organization called the 'seventeenth shard' that is looking for Hoid but isn't working with him, (but not necessarily against him?).
Small point, but only one of the three Seventeenth Shard members that are in Purelake looking for Hoid is an Elantrian. One of them is Galladon, from Elantris. One of the others is Demoux, the Atium Misting who survives the final battle against Ruin in the Mistborn Trilogy. The third member is from an as-yet-unpublished Sanderson work, so we don't know anything about him.

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

The one thing GRRM does well is keeping the reader somewhat on their toes with regards to people dying, in Mistborn and Stormlight I never thought Vin, Kaladin, Shallan, etc would ever die despite being in danger almost all the time. I think sometimes it is necessary to kill characters and I think that Sanderson is unwilling to do it until the climax of books. I really feel like loss can make a story stronger especially when someone the reader really relates to kicks the bucket and it isn't just a noble sacrifice that ends up beating the big bad.
I dunno, the way he killed Kelsier off in Mistborn kinda came way out of left field, but I guess you're kind of right.

Then again, I despise GRRM's works and think his habit of killing off major characters left, right, and center is utterly terrible, so I find Sanderson's generally more optimistic work to be much more enjoyable. In A Song Of Ice And Fire (the three books I read of it, anyway), everything is miserable and poo poo and people die and it's awful. Brandon Sanderson's stories somehow manage to be more hopeful and optimistic even when the world is literally ending. I like that, but I can understand why others wouldn't.

I loved Words Of Radiance, and I've already started rereading it to pick up on things I missed the first time through. During the Prologue, when Jasnah overhears a conversation between Nalan and another Herald (probably Ishar, based on the description), the second Herald is concerned about Ash (Shallash?) starting to go crazy, and proposes maybe they all are. Also complains about Szeth being in possession of Jezrien's Honorblade. I find small little bits like this that you don't pick up on - or at least don't know the significance of - on the first read-through a really great detail.

A couple of my friends are waiting to pick up copies of Words Of Radiance, and I've told them both to read Warbreaker first for REASONS, because the Nightblood's reveal in Words is way more of an 'oh holy poo poo' moment if you've read Warbreaker first. I actually yelled out loud. It was great.

Edit: Also, it seems like Sunraiser, Elhokar's Shardblade, has the Glyphs for all 10 Orders of the Knights Radiant engraved on its blade. Probably an unimportant detail, but still something I find interesting. (And in [url=]the same picture[/url] Shallan has writen 'sigh' underneath what I can only assume is a picture of Adolin, and that's hilarious.)

ArchetypeBlue fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 12, 2014

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Law Cheetah posted:

Odium was trapped on Roshar by the Oathpact made with Honor (and cultivation?) - the group represented by the author of that letter has a stated policy of noninterference. Their attitude seems to be more like "luckily, Odium was trapped on Roshar, we shouldn't do anything that might gently caress that up".

I'm leaning towards Honor allowed himself to be killed by Odium, as a sacrifice to seal Odium in one place. It has nice Christian symbolism, and we've already seen Preservation pull a similar trick to limit the powers of Ruin.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I agree. I thought it was pretty weak that both Szeth and Jasnah were revived, particularly the former. Kaladin shouldn't have been able to succesfully kill him if he was going to be revived 10 pages later. I also though it was super lame that everyone and their dog are suddenly radiants. Now, the bridgemen becoming radiants is cool. But Dalinar and Renarin? Ughh

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

Shakugan posted:

I agree. I thought it was pretty weak that both Szeth and Jasnah were revived, particularly the former. Kaladin shouldn't have been able to succesfully kill him if he was going to be revived 10 pages later. I also though it was super lame that everyone and their dog are suddenly radiants. Now, the bridgemen becoming radiants is cool. But Dalinar and Renarin? Ughh

If you didn't see Dalinar becoming a Radiant coming from a mile away, then I dunno what to say to you. I'll admit, Renarin becoming one came way out of left field, though, and probably should have waited for a later book rather than dropping him in without any significant buildup towards it.

As to Szeth's death, I thought it was fitting. Him literally dying - soul and all, according to Nalan/Nin/Herald Dredd - losing his Honorblade, and then being revived to do Nalan's biding, and given Nightblood no less, is a great way to lead into the third book, where I believe he's going to be the main viewpoint character? Did anyone honestly believe Jasnah was really dead, anyway? I will agree that three death fake-outs in one book is a bit much, but hopefully future books won't have that issue.

ArchetypeBlue fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 12, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shakugan posted:

I'm relatively sure, from Dalinar's visions, that just being around a Surgebinder gives certain people some limited ability to use Stormlight, so I'm not thinking that makes The Lopen, or any of the other minor characters so far, a Radiant/Surgebinder.

Interestingly, Lopen only manifests that ability when he's got Elhokar, who we know IS a potential Surgebinder, in the safehouse.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tunicate posted:

Also, here's a version of that chart from the first book endpages with annotations for heralds and orders and surges and stuff.

I would just like to state for the record that I love this image so much that it's been my desktop background for over 2 years now. Book 3 just can't come fast enough.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

api call girl posted:

I'm relatively sure, from Dalinar's visions, that just being around a Surgebinder gives certain people some limited ability to use Stormlight, so I'm not thinking that makes The Lopen, or any of the other minor characters so far, a Radiant/Surgebinder.

Interestingly, Lopen only manifests that ability when he's got Elhokar, who we know IS a potential Surgebinder, in the safehouse.

Syl and epigraphs do mention that is wasn't just the Radiants, but that they had 'squires' of sorts

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I think that Sanderson is unwilling to do it until the climax of books.
Or maybe that's just what he wants us to think until the mormon version of red wedding in book 3.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

I would just like to state for the record that I love this image so much that it's been my desktop background for over 2 years now. Book 3 just can't come fast enough.

There's one for voidbinding (or it might be related to cultivation, no one really knows yet) as well in case you haven't seen it yet.

No idea who the women in the border is, though it's interesting that she has her safehand covered.

e: Larger version where you can make details out more clearly.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 12, 2014

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Shakugan posted:

I had hoped that Jasnah dying on the ship was sort of Sanderson's nod to the Joe Abercrombies and Mark Lawrences of the world, basically saying that he can get his hands dirty too. I was disappointed, but not surprised, when she reappeared at the end, mostly due to the dust jacket description of the book on Sanderson's website. While others in the book may have fit the description of The Explorer (I was thinking Shen for a bit there, despite what we get told about the Listeners and spren), none of them were women.

Re: the Kholins: Dalinar had it coming a mile away. No one other than Kaladin had visions during the highstorms and once the epigraphs started talking about Bondsmiths, there was little doubt that Dalinar would be one (particularly with his "Unite Them" mantra). Now, I'd have to re-read the visions in WoK again, but either in the first vision, or the one with Nohadon, he is told that a people on Roshar (likely the Alethi) had been given the duty of fighting so that at least one of the worlds societies are prepared to fight with the Radiants when the Desolations come (I think this is why the Alethi experience the Thrill). Nobody that we've met embodies the Alethi more than the Kholis do, so all of the Kholins becoming Radiants so that they may be part of the fighting in the Desolation seems likely. While I don't see a solid connection, I'd guess that based on what we see in Dalinar's vision of the Recreance and based on his relationship with Kaladin (grudging respect, willingness to fight together despite their differences), I'd guess that Adolin will be a Stoneward (and perhaps, if his mind ever un-breaks, be taught by Taln).

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Xenix posted:

(I think this is why the Alethi experience the Thrill).

Well based off some of the conversations mid-late book with Taravangian, it seems like the Thrill is instead related to a giant Odiumspren? They're able to "track" the movements of the Thrill just as they can the movements of the Death Rattles and each of those seems related to a different 'hidden' odiumspren, at least that's what's intimated. Adolin even mentions at one point he expects the Thrill but doesn't experience it, and then recognizes it in Eshonai at the end (who says something to the effect of "we have it now!") then uses it against her.

It has always struck me as a very "not of Honor" thing and explains why Dalinar has such a violent reaction to it in the first book.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Xenix posted:

(I think this is why the Alethi experience the Thrill)

Pretty much anyone can experience the thrill, and it turns out it's a bad thing. In one of the interlude chapters, when Taravangian goes to Jah Keved, we see that the soldiers kept on fighting and killing each other even as their capital burned. It was apparently "as strong here as it was in Alethkar. Maybe stronger." The Thrill is apparently just joy in killing, regardless of who you're fighting, which is why Dalinar feels sickened by what he's done when it leaves him.

Supposedly, it's cause by an evil spren called Nergaoul that Taravangian says he'll need to deal with at some point.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Regarding Taravangian:

I'm very hesitant to take anything that man says at face value. His philosophy is based around a single day of extreme intelligence when he wrote the Diagram, but he wrote it in an invented language. Even assuming that he was so smart that day that everything he said was true (which seems unlikely in the first place) the chances of anybody being able to fully deduce and properly interpret the Diagram are very, very small. It'll probably end up guiding him down whatever path he takes but prove to not be a 100% perfect plan a la the Golden Path from Dune.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Notorious QIG posted:

Regarding Taravangian:

I'm very hesitant to take anything that man says at face value. His philosophy is based around a single day of extreme intelligence when he wrote the Diagram, but he wrote it in an invented language. Even assuming that he was so smart that day that everything he said was true (which seems unlikely in the first place) the chances of anybody being able to fully deduce and properly interpret the Diagram are very, very small. It'll probably end up guiding him down whatever path he takes but prove to not be a 100% perfect plan a la the Golden Path from Dune.

I very much expect this, except I would wager its being slightly subverted i.e. Basically Hyper-intelligent Taravangian is *aware* of how much smarter he is, so he makes it a challenge to translate and then works on a meta-plot level (though apparently not quite Hoid meta) knowing that normal people will take it at face value after translating it. For instance Graves is surprised at Kaladins transformation thinking he would prevent his ascendance to Radiant status. He even says "we never thought our actions would be what would provoke [him]" (paraphrased). I'm betting Hyper-Intellect Taravangian knew that his dumber self and lackeys would try to force the plan on everyone and so rather than actually try and kill Kaladin he made it so the plan would force kaladin to become what he needed to be.

It's a dummies guide to saving the world for people who don't know how

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I don't think Taravangian's data is faulty, just his interpretation of it

On an unrelated note, I just found out that the landmass that makes up Shadesmar is the exact opposite of Roshar.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Narmi posted:

I don't think Taravangian's data is faulty, just his interpretation of it

On an unrelated note, I just found out that the landmass that makes up Shadesmar is the exact opposite of Roshar.

They explain that in WoR. I think Shallan is going to go on over and Pattern is all like "No, it's water there!"

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Xenix posted:

I had hoped that Jasnah dying on the ship was sort of Sanderson's nod to the Joe Abercrombies and Mark Lawrences of the world, basically saying that he can get his hands dirty too. I was disappointed, but not surprised, when she reappeared at the end, mostly due to the dust jacket description of the book on Sanderson's website. While others in the book may have fit the description of The Explorer (I was thinking Shen for a bit there, despite what we get told about the Listeners and spren), none of them were women.

Re: the Kholins: Dalinar had it coming a mile away. No one other than Kaladin had visions during the highstorms and once the epigraphs started talking about Bondsmiths, there was little doubt that Dalinar would be one (particularly with his "Unite Them" mantra). Now, I'd have to re-read the visions in WoK again, but either in the first vision, or the one with Nohadon, he is told that a people on Roshar (likely the Alethi) had been given the duty of fighting so that at least one of the worlds societies are prepared to fight with the Radiants when the Desolations come (I think this is why the Alethi experience the Thrill). Nobody that we've met embodies the Alethi more than the Kholis do, so all of the Kholins becoming Radiants so that they may be part of the fighting in the Desolation seems likely. While I don't see a solid connection, I'd guess that based on what we see in Dalinar's vision of the Recreance and based on his relationship with Kaladin (grudging respect, willingness to fight together despite their differences), I'd guess that Adolin will be a Stoneward (and perhaps, if his mind ever un-breaks, be taught by Taln).

I'm not saying it wasn't obvious that it was coming at some point, but rather that it happened in a pretty poor way. We go from "OMG Kaladin, you're the one I've been looking for" to "Dalinar the Radiant" in 5 seconds flat. I think Stormfather should have said no to Dalinar, at least for now. I think it would have made for better development if he had formed the bond in some moment of need rather than just say the words, become radiant wham bam thankyou ma'am.

I'm also not sure I really like Dalinar being the one to bond Stormfather, or that anyone bonded him at all. In Way of Kings, it was Kaladin who had the connection to Stormfather through his dreams. It was a weird change that now it's suddenly Dalinar who has the strong connection to him to allow bonding (yes, we hear that it was Stormfather who sent Dalinar the dreams via Honor, but that felt like backsplanation to me), and Kaladin's implied connection was basically discarded.

Maybe part of it is me being silly, thinking Kaladin should have the "most powerful" spren bond on account of being the true protagonist (yes, we get books from different PoVs, but Kaladin having the first book cements him with the status of actual protagonist). So this makes me think at some point Kaladin is going to get an even more crazy powerup to be more powerful than Dalinar/Stormfather.

Speak of power creep, I feel like WoR was easily Sandersons most anime book to date. But most of these moments were so awesome I didn't care. When Kaladin first learns to fly, and later on when he goes super saiyan against Moash and Graves... so much fist pumping.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Shakugan posted:

I'm not saying it wasn't obvious that it was coming at some point, but rather that it happened in a pretty poor way. We go from "OMG Kaladin, you're the one I've been looking for" to "Dalinar the Radiant" in 5 seconds flat. I think Stormfather should have said no to Dalinar, at least for now. I think it would have made for better development if he had formed the bond in some moment of need rather than just say the words, become radiant wham bam thankyou ma'am.

I'm also not sure I really like Dalinar being the one to bond Stormfather, or that anyone bonded him at all. In Way of Kings, it was Kaladin who had the connection to Stormfather through his dreams. It was a weird change that now it's suddenly Dalinar who has the strong connection to him to allow bonding (yes, we hear that it was Stormfather who sent Dalinar the dreams via Honor, but that felt like backsplanation to me), and Kaladin's implied connection was basically discarded.

Maybe part of it is me being silly, thinking Kaladin should have the "most powerful" spren bond on account of being the true protagonist (yes, we get books from different PoVs, but Kaladin having the first book cements him with the status of actual protagonist). So this makes me think at some point Kaladin is going to get an even more crazy powerup to be more powerful than Dalinar/Stormfather.

Speak of power creep, I feel like WoR was easily Sandersons most anime book to date. But most of these moments were so awesome I didn't care. When Kaladin first learns to fly, and later on when he goes super saiyan against Moash and Graves... so much fist pumping.

It was so freaking anime. There were multiple moments when someone was getting a beatdown, but then stood back up with a burst of energy, and my brain just belts out, "DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!"

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

omnibobb posted:

They explain that in WoR. I think Shallan is going to go on over and Pattern is all like "No, it's water there!"

Yeah, after she washes up on the frostlands she's about to go over (to make a fire I think), and we see that land in Roshar is not necessarily land in Shadesmar, but I never knew that the entire continent was like a cut-out of the other.

e:The first time she visits Shadesmar she almost drowns too, so I guess it was hinted at since WoK.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 12, 2014

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Narmi posted:

Yeah, after she washes up on the frostlands she's about to go over (to make a fire I think), and we see that land in Roshar is not necessarily land in Shadesmar, but I never knew that the entire continent was like a cut-out of the other.

e:The first time she visits Shadesmar she almost drowns too, so I guess it was hinted at since WoK.

jasnah too in the prologue

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Narmi posted:

There's one for voidbinding

I like how all of the surge glyphs are mirrored along the vertical access, whereas the equivalent one in the voidbinding chart has one side also flipped horizontally (transformation, division, and adhesion don't fit this pattern quite as well as the others).

I also wonder what is the deal with safehands. I figure it has to have some meaning lost to the current generation who are just passing it down as tradition, similar to the way lighteyes are still given social stature. It's mentioned too often to not have some hidden purpose (ala in Mistborn Vin's earring).

Also on bondsmiths: Wasn't it mentioned there were only three? Maybe only whoever bonds Honor, Cultivation, and Odium shards gets to be bondsmith? Though now I know there is a whole separate thing for voidbinding, bonding Odium doesn't make sense for creating a surgebinder. Also, the name "bondsmith" sort of implied to me that they eventually hand out spren to figure out who gets to be surgebinders and of what type. Makes even more sense given Dalinar is assigned to re-found the Knights Radiant.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Narmi posted:

Pattern specifically says in the book what is water here is land there, and what is land here is water there.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

It seems clear that each of the order's ideals are tied to their surges - it suddenly seems clear why Dustbringers were considered creepy. They are 'division' and 'friction', in contrast to the 'adhesion' and 'gravitation' of the Windrunners.

I also just had a revelation with that Voidbinding chart thing that pretty much proves it's Voidbinding - take a look at the ten glyphs representing the forces/surges (not the colorful ones representing 'orders' or whatever voidbinders have) Compare them to the glyphs on the Surgebinding chart. On each glyph of the Voidbinding chart, the glyph is the same only either the left or the right half of it has been flipped upside down.

If you compare the glyphs for each order with the Voidbinding chart, they're obviously related, but they're both stylized so differently that it's harder to point out any clear pattern like that, though if you look at them all it's clear there is one - they seem like the same pattern kinda flipped inside out - surge points in, void points out, surge points up, void points down.

SilverWingedSeraph posted:

Small point, but only one of the three Seventeenth Shard members that are in Purelake looking for Hoid is an Elantrian. One of them is Galladon, from Elantris. One of the others is Demoux, the Atium Misting who survives the final battle against Ruin in the Mistborn Trilogy. The third member is from an as-yet-unpublished Sanderson work, so we don't know anything about him.
Makes me wonder what tricks he's managed to do with being an Atium Misting... There's almost no more Atium, but perhaps being an Atium mising means he gets to do the Matrix thing whenever he huffs some Stormlight, which would be an incredibly useful power, and could probably stand up even fighters as nasty as Szeth while it lasted.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 12, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Narmi posted:

I had assumed from WoK that Shadesmar was all just a sea of balls. Which confused me a little when they started hinting at Spren cities and societies and all that. I guess I just assumed they were under the sea of balls, floating on it, or there were several different 'interpretations' of Shadesmar.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

treeboy posted:

I very much expect this, except I would wager its being slightly subverted i.e. Basically Hyper-intelligent Taravangian is *aware* of how much smarter he is, so he makes it a challenge to translate and then works on a meta-plot level (though apparently not quite Hoid meta) knowing that normal people will take it at face value after translating it. For instance Graves is surprised at Kaladins transformation thinking he would prevent his ascendance to Radiant status. He even says "we never thought our actions would be what would provoke [him]" (paraphrased). I'm betting Hyper-Intellect Taravangian knew that his dumber self and lackeys would try to force the plan on everyone and so rather than actually try and kill Kaladin he made it so the plan would force kaladin to become what he needed to be.

It's a dummies guide to saving the world for people who don't know how

I'm not so sure. He stated that his gift from Cultivation was that he would have Intelligence and Compassion in INVERSE proportions, randomly set each day. So when he was ultra-hyper intelligent, he must have been ultra-hyper ruthless, and in fact he said repeatedly that this ruthlessness blinded him in ways that made him act very, very stupid. Stupid and blind in ways you'd THINK higher intelligence would prevent, but yet does not. It could very well just be hubris.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Jorenko posted:

It was so freaking anime. There were multiple moments when someone was getting a beatdown, but then stood back up with a burst of energy, and my brain just belts out, "DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!"

On that note, I saw someone joyfully call the match between Adolin and the four shardbearers "the most Pro Wrestling duel in the history of fantasy novels".

The corrupt ref, the gang of heel duelists surrounding the hero, Adolin. Just then, Kaladin "Stormblessed" Hogan's theme song plays as he drops into the arena out of nowhere. They win the day, and proceed to cut a promo on Sadeas and Amaram.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Iunnrais posted:

I'm not so sure. He stated that his gift from Cultivation was that he would have Intelligence and Compassion in INVERSE proportions, randomly set each day. So when he was ultra-hyper intelligent, he must have been ultra-hyper ruthless, and in fact he said repeatedly that this ruthlessness blinded him in ways that made him act very, very stupid. Stupid and blind in ways you'd THINK higher intelligence would prevent, but yet does not. It could very well just be hubris.

Oh i don't think there's anything particularly compassionate about manipulating others (and yourself) to such an extent that you're causing wars, murdering kings, and practically torturing poor Kaladin with the expectation that the suffering will drive them to excel (or get them out of the way)

Reminds me a lot of how in Mistborn they would beat Noble children to make them snap.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

treeboy posted:

Oh i don't think there's anything particularly compassionate about manipulating others (and yourself) to such an extent that you're causing wars, murdering kings, and practically torturing poor Kaladin with the expectation that the suffering will drive them to excel (or get them out of the way)

Reminds me a lot of how in Mistborn they would beat Noble children to make them snap.

He's agreeing with you there - he means that when he's highly intelligent, he has almost no compassion, and when he's highly compassionate, he has almost no intelligence. So, on his day of absolute brilliance he was 100% sociopath, so the Diagram follows that logic. When he's retarded, he weeps for all the terrible poo poo he's done but is powerless to do or understand anything and just sobs in his room.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 12, 2014

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Has it been explained where the root of (WoR spoiler about Taravangian) his odd affliction is? So far, we've only been told about Surge Binding as a magic system in addition to something called 'old magic'. Has there been any more in-depth explanation?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

syphon posted:

Has it been explained where the root of (WoR spoiler about Taravangian) his odd affliction is? So far, we've only been told about Surge Binding as a magic system in addition to something called 'old magic'. Has there been any more in-depth explanation?

I thought it was pretty clearly stated as being from the Nightmother, whose shtick is basically corrupt-a-wish except with phenomenal cosmic power. So, Taravangian asks for the capacity to save humankind, and Nightmother goes "granted, but your intelligence fluctuates randomly and is inverse to your capability to feel compassion".

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 12, 2014

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
q!=e

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Ah, I guess part of the problem is I have no recollection as to what that is. Was it explained in the first book, and i just forgot?

A hasty googling brings up no useful Wiki entry. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

syphon posted:

It's the old magic. Several characters have mentioned it briefly. A mysterious woman called the night watcher or night mother will grant you any boon you ask, but always with some ironic downside. She is likely to be a spren of some kind, maybe Cultivation's analog to the stormfather. This is also why Dalinar can't remember his wife.

Edit: wiki link http://coppermind.net/wiki/Nightwatcher

Jorenko fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 12, 2014