Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

Shipping and handling was more expensive than the parts. $10 for all the chips together. I think the processor was $6. I had everything else I need.

Guess it wouldn't be that big of an investment to purchase a z80.

Who owns the rights to the 6502 now or did MOS survive the death of Commodore? It's probably the most influential microprocessor ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
C64 schematics http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/computers/c64/

Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

Sweevo posted:

the 6502 is a scrub tier processor

Get the gently caress outta here.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's probably the most influential microprocessor ever made.

lmao no

Apr 7, 2003

The 6502 singlehandedly took microcomputing out of the realm of expensive hobbyist toys and into the average dining room. If you don't recognize the effect that had, you aren't qualified to have an opinion.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nelson MandEULA posted:

this is superior to eagle usability-wise?

yeah, by a million miles. the downside is it doesn't have as complete of a part library because, for example, sparkfun doesn't give you a library of everything they sell. making your own patterns and poo poo when needed is really easy, though.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Citizen Tayne posted:

The 6502 singlehandedly took microcomputing out of the realm of expensive hobbyist toys and into the average dining room. If you don't recognize the effect that had, you aren't qualified to have an opinion.

not really, the computers it was used in did that sure, but that's not really down to the 6502 itself is it. home adoption of microcomputers was driven by falling prices and available software libraries, not the cpu those computer happened to contain

the 6502 isn't what made the 2600, c64, or NES a success.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 12, 2014

Apr 7, 2003

Sweevo posted:

not really, the computers it was used in did that sure, but that's not really down to the 6502 itself is it. home adoption of microcomputers was driven by to falling purchase prices and available software libraries, not the cpu those computer happened to contain

the 6502 isn't what made the 2600, c64, or NES a success

The 6502 was one-sixth the price of competing CPUs and you're too loving stupid to realize how that was influential even though you cite falling prices as one of the reasons for widespread microcomputer adoption. lmao

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Citizen Tayne posted:

The 6502 was one-sixth the price of competing CPUs and you're too loving stupid to realize how that was influential even though you cite falling prices as one of the reasons for widespread microcomputer adoption. lmao

tori is angry. angry about processors.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm not angry. I'm really happy when I get to own people for saying stupid poo poo.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

please enlighten us what was "influential" about the 6502. not why it was popular, because popular != influential. what specifically about the processor itself was influential? because it wasn't the bus design, or the instruction set, or the programming model, or the hardware design, or the production method, or anything like that.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm not angry. I'm really happy when I get to own people for saying stupid poo poo.

lmao at this & at you

Apr 7, 2003

Sweevo posted:

please enlighten us what was "influential" about the 6502. not why it was popular, because popular != influential. what specifically about the processor itself was influential? because it wasn't the bus design, or the instruction set, or the programming model, or the hardware design, or the production method, or anything like that.

You are an autism victim if you don't understand how popular = influential. The 6502 was cheap enough to put a computer in every house that wanted one. A lot of people cut their teeth on programming with them. More users meant a larger and more diverse software library.

Were it not for MOS pushing prices into the basement, the computing landscape would look very different now.

What hosed up idiot world do you live in where popular products are not influential? Do you live in a world where everything is judged solely on technical merit?

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.

Citizen Tayne posted:

You are an autism victim if you don't understand how popular = influential. The 6502 was cheap enough to put a computer in every house that wanted one. A lot of people cut their teeth on programming with them. More users meant a larger and more diverse software library.

Were it not for MOS pushing prices into the basement, the computing landscape would look very different now.

What hosed up idiot world do you live in where popular products are not influential? Do you live in a world where everything is judged solely on technical merit?

Yes.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i think being an autism victim is when u know an autistic person not when your the autist

Apr 7, 2003

It's cool to just admit you're wrong and move on, Sweevo. No need to dig yourself into a deeper hole.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

this loving thread

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

this loving thread

goin off a cliff real fast to poo poo post city

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Citizen Tayne posted:

this whole discussion started because a guy wants to build his own computer, now in 2014, not in 1977. and your whole argument is "the 6502 was in a popular product, therefore it is good, therefore the guy building his own computer today should choose it over the cheaper/better alternatives."

Apr 7, 2003

Sweevo posted:

this whole discussion started because a guy wants to build his own computer, now in 2014, not in 1977. and your whole argument is "the 6502 was in a popular product, therefore it is good, therefore the guy building his own computer today should choose it over the cheaper/better alternatives."

It's okay to admit you're wrong, you know.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im gonna build my own computer out of individual transistors deadbugged to copper clad.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the cheaper/better alternative is to buy a computer. many stores sell them now and very little assembly is required

Apr 7, 2003

Even Walmart has them.

Apr 7, 2003

There's a reason no one uses right bit computers now: they were really clunky bad poo poo. Nostalgia for stuff like that seems to be limited to people who never actually had to use it.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
here's something i'm actually doing rather than just thinking about doing. lots of playing around with polls. i love polls, i want to spend all day looking at them. i'm thinking about using mechanical turk to pull out deeper data (like how they voted in 2010) that is only found in the full pdf versions of the tabs. any way i could just write some sort of script to do this tho? any other ways i could use software to do cool poo poo with this data?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i dunno. i think building one can be a good learning exercise. the big plus point to 8-bit stuff is that all the chips are available in DIP packages so it's easy to hand solder everything, and adding memory and peripheral chips is really simple. even just the step up to 16-bit means everything is surface mounted and the bus designs don't really lend themselves to just slapping on more chips and everything just working. plus 8-bit cpus are slow enough that you don't have to worry about all the spergy stuff like track lengths and clock phasing

Apr 7, 2003

Sweevo posted:

i dunno. i think building one can be a good learning exercise. the big plus point to 8-bit stuff is that all the chips are available in DIP packages so it's easy to hand solder everything, and adding memory and peripheral chips is really simple. even just the step up to 16-bit means everything is surface mounted and the bus designs don't really lend themselves to just slapping on more chips and everything just working. plus 8-bit cpus are slow enough that you don't have to worry about all the spergy stuff like track lengths and clock phasing

Walmart has computers if you need one that badly.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Citizen Tayne posted:

Walmart has computers if you need one that badly.

sum1 has already made that joke.

Apr 7, 2003

It isn't a joke.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

if you're using eagle 6.5 you can just upload your PCB schematic file to Osh Park, no need to generate gerber files or any of that poo poo.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the point is if u don't wanna worry about spergy stuff why are u building an 8-bit computer.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
especially with the 6502 being so gimped in comparison to the z80.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i finished this thing last night

you can look at it here

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh hell

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ok now add stylus controls

GameCube