Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

THE CHORSE posted:

I just held my hand under the fan (don't know why I didn't do that sooner) and it feels like it's blowing out relatively cool air. I'm going to stop freaking out about it and pick up some thermal paste tomorrow. I'll take off the cover and blow out some dust, and hopefully I won't even have to take off the heat sink or use the thermal paste at all. Either way, a tube of thermal paste doesn't seem like a terrible thing to have around. Thanks for the help!

If it's something you don't mind doing, changing the paste makes a significant difference even with a brand new card. But if you do, the type of paste makes a pretty real difference. MX-4 is probably the easiest to get in stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
I heard mention of giant cases? I think mine fits that description (can is for scale reference)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Michymech posted:

I heard mention of giant cases? I think mine fits that description (can is for scale reference)

Blue thing looks like an oil catch can lol, what is it

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Combination res/pump for the water cooler setup, still need to get a water block for the 780ti classy that's in there (and maybe get another one because I'm dumb)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ignoarints posted:

If it's something you don't mind doing, changing the paste makes a significant difference even with a brand new card. But if you do, the type of paste makes a pretty real difference. MX-4 is probably the easiest to get in stores.

All really depends on the card manufacturer - some put too little paste, some put just the right amount, others glop it on so badly that it oozes out over the top of the chip and makes temperatures worse. I've always gone the route of replacing the paste after making sure the card is tested and working normally.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Michymech posted:

My case us pretty big and heavy by itself.

26"x24.25"x11.5" - 33 Lbs.

Silverstone Raven RV01

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SlayVus posted:

My case us pretty big and heavy by itself.

26"x24.25"x11.5" - 33 Lbs.

Silverstone Raven RV01
this one rocks in at 28.5"x27.7"x12.5" and 39.4 Lbs which does make it a good workout to move around but dang you can go full retard on water cooling setups in it

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Ignoarints posted:

It looks like Arctic Silver is what I'll be able to find nearby. Is that a good thermal paste? It looks like it has good reviews. Is MX-4 worth ordering and waiting for if I can't find it locally?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Next time I have to shut down/restart my PC I'm going to weigh that fucker, I'm curious, thing has to weigh at least 60 pounds by now, I just keep putting more and more hardware in it.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Ignoarints posted:

Wait I thought the 750ti was single slot. At least, the reference card is?

The closest is the ASUS which still takes up two slots. There's gotta be something else out there.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

THE CHORSE posted:

It looks like Arctic Silver is what I'll be able to find nearby. Is that a good thermal paste? It looks like it has good reviews. Is MX-4 worth ordering and waiting for if I can't find it locally?

Honestly, despite the fact I'm slowly becoming a paste snob, no I doubt it will be worth it unless you plan to overclock it close to the edge. It's a matter of a few degrees between AS5 and others, but it's almost certainly better than what's on there now.

Edit: forgot to mention, AS5 is slightly capacitive (vs carbon based stuff, like their own MX-4, and others). All that means is don't get any on the board around the gpu where it can bridge contact points

Artic Silver posted:

(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 12, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

eggyolk posted:

The closest is the ASUS which still takes up two slots. There's gotta be something else out there.

Ah that's a reality check for me. I guess I haven't had a truly single slot card in a long, long time. Frankly I'm not sure if they can get cooling to fit that form factor. It's already so crazy small.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ignoarints posted:

Honestly, despite the fact I'm slowly becoming a paste snob, no I doubt it will be worth it unless you plan to overclock it close to the edge. It's a matter of a few degrees between AS5 and others, but it's almost certainly better than what's on there now.

Edit: forgot to mention, AS5 is slightly capacitive (vs carbon based stuff, like their own MX-4, and others). All that means is don't get any on the board around the gpu where it can bridge contact points

Heh, I'm still using the tiny tubes of paste that came with my old water blocks. I think it's mx-2 or something. Honestly, thermal paste makes a total of 1-2 degrees difference in most cases.

:can:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I keep thinking my Mini R2 is too large; yeesh.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Heh, I'm still using the tiny tubes of paste that came with my old water blocks. I think it's mx-2 or something. Honestly, thermal paste makes a total of 1-2 degrees difference in most cases.

Someone mentioned this earlier but for whatever reason paste type on GPU's makes a real difference (unlike CPU which is just 1-2 degrees). But if it's good enough it's good enough. I just wanted near the "best" because I was trying to push my last card as far as it would go and wanted every degree for stability. Frankly I have no idea if the few degree difference between brands even mattered, but I certainly can say the stock paste sucked rear end. For example I got a 10 degree drop with paste alone, but the best part was the fan would almost never run. Just ever. I actually manually set it in the card bios to run at a minimum value (while still being auto) just because it freaked me out a little. It simply took heat out of the equation, which was nice since I wanted to see how fast it could go with a volt modded bios.

edit: not to say the fan didn't run when overclocked, but it never got above 40% even at the highest overclock settings I could manage. That was an ASUS 660ti, now I have two MSI 660 ti's and even at lower values and stock voltage they can get up to 60% fan duty in a game.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 12, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I mainly just keep forgetting to order the good stuff :shrug:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

What the hell

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

ShaneB posted:

What the hell

honestly, I just really looked at that picture in detail and I have the same question lol

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
4 radiators, 3 video cards, silent cooling basically.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

veedubfreak posted:

4 radiators, 3 video cards, silent cooling basically.

I'd rather stand some noise than puke a little in my mouth every time I look at my case, to be honest.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Nephilm posted:

I'd rather stand some noise than puke a little in my mouth every time I look at my case, to be honest.

looks better than mine

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Ignoarints posted:

looks better than mine

Holy poo poo, did your PC metastasise? Anyway, I think you should post your room in PYF goon lair, your first picture is very promising.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Not mine haha, I was looking for pictures of people using heater cores as water cores since they seem (to me) to be exactly the same thing, but instead I got that. Whatever that is.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ignoarints posted:

looks better than mine

Im the 2.5" hard drive mounted to the 3.5" adapter and then just sat in the 5 1/4" drive bay.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Im the 2.5" hard drive mounted to the 3.5" adapter and then just sat in the 5 1/4" drive bay.

Next time I need more fans I need to remember I can just cut my own drat holes too

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ignoarints posted:

Next time I need more fans I need to remember I can just cut my own drat holes too

TBF old cases like that had the worst built in fan grills. I cut mine out too (though i didn't cut a hole in the case)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

TBF old cases like that had the worst built in fan grills. I cut mine out too (though i didn't cut a hole in the case)

I decided to actually visit the page that pic was on

loving :lol:

The beast

http://www.dylan.hoen.ca/things_i_have_built/peltier_watercooling/

edit: I know this is dangerously off topic, but please look at the other "things I have built" on the top of the page. Such as this classy, portable camping hot tub

home theater...

in tears

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 12, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

That bed on top of storage bins is some kind of disgusting genius.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Because I can't leave well enough alone. Going to delid the 4770k and update my cpu cooler.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

veedubfreak posted:

Because I can't leave well enough alone. Going to delid the 4770k and update my cpu cooler.

So, are we going to have an intervention for veedub anytime soon?

Listen buddy, you may have a problem.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

It is an incredible difference. If I had known I'd have done this first

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

deimos posted:

So, are we going to have an intervention for veedub anytime soon?

Eh, he'll probably figure it out when Al Gore names him an Enemy of the Environment or something.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well this PSU is 90% efficient! And it only runs when I'm playing games. At least I'm not some silly buttcoiner. My cpu block is old as hell, its like 3 generations back. I figured if I was already going to be tearing into the machine again to replace the psu why not go ahead and delid the cpu and replace the block. Only really shooting for 4.5ghz on the cpu as anything more is just going to require more voltage than I wanna give it and cause migration.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Invidious consumption is a hell of a drug.

nVidia's consumption is also a hell of a drug

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

veedubfreak posted:

At least I'm not some silly buttcoiner.

I distinctly recall you on mumble talking about how you'd set up your boxes to mine litecoin.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

You would think that with your (obviously huge) budget you would care a little about aesthetics. Jesus that is ugly.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nephilm posted:

I distinctly recall you on mumble talking about how you'd set up your boxes to mine litecoin.

I spent maybe an hour reading about it, then said gently caress it.

Also, I like my neon green case. Don't hate. One day I'll get all the UV hooked up, can't find my soldering iron.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

veedubfreak posted:

I spent maybe an hour reading about it, then said gently caress it.

Also, I like my neon green case. Don't hate. One day I'll get all the UV hooked up, can't find my soldering iron.

Check your wallet, it may have gotten lost in there.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Well this PSU is 90% efficient! And it only runs when I'm playing games. At least I'm not some silly buttcoiner. My cpu block is old as hell, its like 3 generations back. I figured if I was already going to be tearing into the machine again to replace the psu why not go ahead and delid the cpu and replace the block. Only really shooting for 4.5ghz on the cpu as anything more is just going to require more voltage than I wanna give it and cause migration.

I'm going to say that is a conservative goal. I have a below average cpu and I'm at 4.5 with a total of $55 invested in cooling lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Don't use CLU, use CLP. CLU hardens over time much worse than CLP.