Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Can someone with either a better eye for details or actual experience help me out with a Red Futuron minifigure I've dug out of my collection? I think its the oldest in the bunch, no idea about the Castle and Pirates stuff I got. It's definitely the one I had the easiest time finding new arms, legs, hands, head and gear for. However, I'm a little confused on what visor they used on those helmets. Was it the dark blue transparent plastic or the light blue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Futuron visors were all dark blue.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Pyroclastic posted:

Depending on your scale, the ring section can be easy. Click-joints, ball joints, tank treads, brick-and-cylinder, or just pure brick curves are all possibilities.
Detailing some of them may be tricky, though.

All those different angles, though...

I'm aiming for 90+ studs in length, a scale I picked in part because it should make the pure brick curve route possible, in theory. Though, based on some things I ran into with that first part there (it's the prototype for the side panel of the nose section), I may go larger, 130-140 studs.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

mynnna posted:

Anyway, compounding on the unhealthy degree to which I play EVE, it's (eventually going to be) this:

Get a supercap on a alt...it drains your enthusiasm to play EVE (at least it did for me).

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Managed to find the robo secretary today, which was the last missing fig. I still have the duplicate Shakespeare in case one of you guys who couldn't find it needs it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My order from Brinklink came in today. Unfortunately it was missing some pieces. I couldn't help but laugh that they were the pieces needed to build the Ark.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Ika posted:

Managed to find the robo secretary today, which was the last missing fig. I still have the duplicate Shakespeare in case one of you guys who couldn't find it needs it.

I'd take it, shoot me a PM

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I love the Lego movie and I'm going to see it for the second time on Thursday, but man does Lego ever frustrate me sometimes.

Not the blocks, the company. Lego (the brand) is succeeding enormously and all evidence indicates that it's utterly in spite of Lego (the company). The hype train for this movie is going crazy. Fucker made over three hundred and fifty million dollars already, and it's not really slowing down - it made ten million last weekend, meaning it beat everything except for two new movies and week-old Non-Stop. It's five weeks old! That's unheard of. This thing is a juggernaut. As a company you don't just let hype trains like that go. You feed them. You dump more and more product and more and more news into every stream you can touch to make sure that people know that you love them, and they will universally love you back in the form of piles of money. I'm buying a Sea Cow as soon as I can get to the Orlando Lego store. I'm buying a Spaceship!3 the day it releases.

So what is Lego doing? How are they feeding this hype engine for classic minifigs, classic bricks, and classic playstyles and formats?

With a loving Simpsons minifig line, that's how. Holy poo poo what a blow to the face.

I understand that Lego has been burned. I understand that bankruptcy was a very real thing a mere ten years ago. I get it. But those are reasons not to plan for overwhelming success, not reasons to plan for immediate failure. The Lego Movie has only been out for a month, and it's not even going to be out in many countries for another month yet, and here we are, choking down Simpsons figures news when all we want is Emmett & Co. Even if the movie was mediocre, three months is no breathing room at all. gently caress Lego, if this whole bankruptcy scare happens again, you've lost my sympathy. These are amateur mistakes, and you need to behave like the second largest toy seller in the god drat world, not some rinky-dink fly-by-night backdoor manufacturer. Even Megablocks wouldn't be caught dead derailing a juggernaut success. What the gently caress, Lego?

Sorry, I had to vent and none of my friends are really into Lego.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 12, 2014

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Plastik posted:

I love the Lego movie and I'm going to see it for the second time on Thursday, but man does Lego ever frustrate me sometimes.

Not the blocks, the company. Lego (the brand) is succeeding enormously and all evidence indicates that it's utterly in spite of Lego (the company). The hype train for this movie is going crazy. Fucker made over three hundred and fifty million dollars already, and it's not really slowing down - it made ten million last weekend, meaning it beat everything except for two new movies and week-old Non-Stop. It's five weeks old! That's unheard of. This thing is a juggernaut. As a company you don't just let hype trains like that go. You feed them. You dump more and more product and more and more news into every stream you can touch to make sure that people know that you love them, and they will universally love you back in the form of piles of money. I'm buying a Sea Cow as soon as I can get to the Orlando Lego store. I'm buying a Spaceship!3 the day it releases.

So what is Lego doing? How are they feeding this hype engine for classic minifigs, classic bricks, and classic playstyles and formats?

With a loving Simpsons minifig line, that's how. Holy poo poo what a blow to the face.

I understand that Lego has been burned. I understand that bankruptcy was a very real thing a mere ten years ago. I get it. But those are reasons not to plan for overwhelming success, not reasons to plan for immediate failure. The Lego Movie has only been out for a month, and it's not even going to be out in many countries for another month yet, and here we are, choking down Simpsons figures news when all we want is Emmett & Co. Even if the movie was mediocre, three months is no breathing room at all. gently caress Lego, if this whole bankruptcy scare happens again, you've lost my sympathy. These are amateur mistakes, and you need to behave like the second largest toy seller in the god drat world, not some rinky-dink fly-by-night backdoor manufacturer. Even Megablocks wouldn't be caught dead derailing a juggernaut success. What the gently caress, Lego?

Sorry, I had to vent and none of my friends are really into Lego.

You do know things take more than a month or two to conceptualize, create and market right? Lego probably didn't see the movie getting as big as it's doing. Give it some time and they might create something awesome.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Aaronicon posted:

Still doesn't come out here (AU) for another three weeks :( You guys are making me jealous.

We still have plenty of Movie minifig boosters around here, although I guess that's going to change when the movie proper hits. Hell, yesterday I found a nearly-full box of Series 11 boosters in a Myer which still had things like a Jabba palace on shelf (naturally, still full retail price).

I spotted movie sets today in a Big W and some in a Target last week.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

obi_ant posted:

You do know things take more than a month or two to conceptualize, create and market right? Lego probably didn't see the movie getting as big as it's doing. Give it some time and they might create something awesome.

This and Lego has multiple lines running simultaneously, it's not like they shut down production of the movie stuff and announced Simpson's, that stuff has been in motion for years. Also considering drat near every store I've been to is sold out of movie toys, I'd say more is definitely on the way.

Deep breaths Plastik, Lego doesn't just make one line at a time.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

obi_ant posted:

Yes, I'm well aware, but that's not the problem. The problem is that Lego planned for the movie's failure, as I mentioned. Planning for its success (not what I'm asking for) would be saying that the Minifigs line and all VIP sets for the next two years are going to be Movie themed. That's dumb. But planning for failure is securing a massive and prized license (like The Simpsons) and abutting it to your own homegrown IP at such a short interval that some markets will get the new licensed IP two weeks after the homegrown IP's flagship movie locally premieres. That's planning for the homegrown IP to be a flop. That's a vote of zero confidence in a property you've invested millions in. And that's an amateur mistake.

The Rage posted:

This and Lego has multiple lines running simultaneously, it's not like they shut down production of the movie stuff and announced Simpson's, that stuff has been in motion for years. Also considering drat near every store I've been to is sold out of movie toys, I'd say more is definitely on the way.

Deep breaths Plastik, Lego doesn't just make one line at a time.

Lego does have multiple lines running at a time, but as one company they speak with one voice or they will drown themselves out. Their customers are loyal, and case studies have proven them to be some of the most loyal in existence, so it's not like you can say that The Simpsons and The Lego Movie IPs are somehow targeting different interest groups within their demographic. Both The Lego Movie and The Simpsons have broad demographic appeal, and both are licenses that are insanely valuable. And yet they're squandering a lot of momentum for one in favor of the other, momentum they can't get back. It'd make sense if they were doing The Simpsons as a time-limited thing, say as a build-up to an announcement about the overall Simpsons property or something, but no, Groening said late last year that there wouldn't be a Simpsons Movie sequel anytime soon, and really what else is there? "Hey guys, we're planning on having a 26th season?".

Even just pushing it back to a late summer release would have allowed them to push a whole second wave of Movie sets before the release of the Simpsons IP, and it'd still be in their 25th anniversary year and, as a bonus, everyone on the planet would at least have gotten he chance to see The Lego Movie in theaters before the hype train started.

But no, we get one big train derailing another instead. As someone who's interested in business it's certainly fascinating to watch, but as someone who likes Lego it's horrifying.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Ignimbrite posted:

I spotted movie sets today in a Big W and some in a Target last week.

Yeah our Big W has the movie sets in - well, the smaller ones, I haven't seen a Lord Business' Lair or anything. That Myer I was talking about had a flat 10% off all Lego the other weekend and they didn't have a single movie set at all. Sucks. Our KMart has nothing but Chima shelfwarmers for as far as the eye can see (no good sets, just those little game-pack things). We don't have any local toy stores outside of the big departments so it's hard to find even the most common of lines at times, but then, there's also some really big stuff just sitting around. Never goes on discount, but it's there.

I think my next big purchase is going to be that Lone Ranger train. My son's obsessed with trains and it looks like a nice build.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I think it's interesting that I have yet to see a single Simpsons set beyond the House, while the Movie sets have been on store shelves for months and are only temporarily sold out due to the unexpected success of the movie (seriously unexpected by literally everyone, not just TLG) and the demands of a large product line on limited shelf space at retailers. I don't really get the idea that they're somehow undercutting their own IP with a line that you can't buy at Walmart and that currently consists of a single, expensive set.

On top of that, you're sort of missing the whole message of The LEGO Movie: just buy some fuckin' LEGO already and build whatever you want. In that respect, the entire section at my various local retailers have been wiped out several weeks running; I think they're doing fine. From that standpoint, they're doing smashingly. I'm interested in how you think it's a failure on any level other than some weird business meta level that just doesn't make practical sense. I'm certainly not alarmed or horrified because both the movie and any sales it drives are net positives.

Plastik posted:

Even Megablocks wouldn't be caught dead derailing a juggernaut success. What the gently caress, Lego?

Let me tell you about a little thing called World of Warcraft...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually saw movie sets on the store shelf yesterday, first time that's hallened in almost two weeks. So I guess lego is cranking up output even if they aren't at full steam yet.

Also I finished building the absurd amount of sets my family got me for my birthday, tossed em on a shelf.

Thinking of pulling out my street plates and doing an epic battle diorama with all of it.

Favorite part is the micromanagers, they are cool builds.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Did you just take Business 101 at community college or what? I'll just point out that no they didn't make a movie planning for it's failure and no matter how successful a movie is no one would be clamoring for sets and figures for it two years later. You seemed to really like the movie but are placing way too much importance on it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

How many freaking Panda Suit Guys are there in a fresh box of the movie minifigs? I now have gotten 6 of them. Anyone need him? I also have extras of the mexican dude and Emmet.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ChesterJT posted:

Did you just take Business 101 at community college or what? I'll just point out that no they didn't make a movie planning for it's failure and no matter how successful a movie is no one would be clamoring for sets and figures for it two years later. You seemed to really like the movie but are placing way too much importance on it.
To be fair, he said he did *not* think a 2 year plan would be smart. Having no horse in this race (I don't buy legos, I just find this thread fascinating for some reason) I get his point about the Simpsons house. A highly desirable Lego-Budget destroying set released near simultaneously with your movie tie-in line seems silly. Not like, financial ruin silly, but still.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

mattfl posted:

How many freaking Panda Suit Guys are there in a fresh box of the movie minifigs? I now have gotten 6 of them. Anyone need him? I also have extras of the mexican dude and Emmet.

6 is max for distribution in minifigure boxes. 6 of common (Pandaguy, President Business, 4 of uncommon, 2 of rare (Velma, mermaid) I think.

Which is loving evil, it means that a complete box will never have more than 2 complete sets. Either make that poo poo completely random or make an even number of sets per box, even though at 60 I know the math doesn't add up-- so make 64 per box or something.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Plastik posted:

Yes, I'm well aware, but that's not the problem. The problem is that Lego planned for the movie's failure, as I mentioned. Planning for its success (not what I'm asking for) would be saying that the Minifigs line and all VIP sets for the next two years are going to be Movie themed. That's dumb. But planning for failure is securing a massive and prized license (like The Simpsons) and abutting it to your own homegrown IP at such a short interval that some markets will get the new licensed IP two weeks after the homegrown IP's flagship movie locally premieres. That's planning for the homegrown IP to be a flop. That's a vote of zero confidence in a property you've invested millions in. And that's an amateur mistake.

Lego does have multiple lines running at a time, but as one company they speak with one voice or they will drown themselves out. Their customers are loyal, and case studies have proven them to be some of the most loyal in existence, so it's not like you can say that The Simpsons and The Lego Movie IPs are somehow targeting different interest groups within their demographic. Both The Lego Movie and The Simpsons have broad demographic appeal, and both are licenses that are insanely valuable. And yet they're squandering a lot of momentum for one in favor of the other, momentum they can't get back. It'd make sense if they were doing The Simpsons as a time-limited thing, say as a build-up to an announcement about the overall Simpsons property or something, but no, Groening said late last year that there wouldn't be a Simpsons Movie sequel anytime soon, and really what else is there? "Hey guys, we're planning on having a 26th season?".

Even just pushing it back to a late summer release would have allowed them to push a whole second wave of Movie sets before the release of the Simpsons IP, and it'd still be in their 25th anniversary year and, as a bonus, everyone on the planet would at least have gotten he chance to see The Lego Movie in theaters before the hype train started.

But no, we get one big train derailing another instead. As someone who's interested in business it's certainly fascinating to watch, but as someone who likes Lego it's horrifying.

But you're talking like LEGO fans buy every single line. The demographic of this thread is not the typical LEGO user. Some kids are really into Star Wars, some kids are really into Ninjago, some kids are really into the Lego Movie, and while all of that is going on, theres a $200 collector oriented set for adults who have watched the Simpsons for the last 25 years. No 8 year old kid is gonna roll up to the LEGO store, or ANY big box retailer and go "gently caress, I wish they had the Simpsons set because that train killed my love train for The Lego Movie." Not gonna happen. Plus theres a second movie coming out in a couple years, and having new sets come out to tie in with movies certainly hasn't hurt Marvel or DC LEGO sales, so I think they've got this planned better than you think.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

obi_ant posted:

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one

The Rage posted:

But you're talking like LEGO fans buy every single line. The demographic of this thread is not the typical LEGO user. Some kids are really into Star Wars, some kids are really into Ninjago, some kids are really into the Lego Movie, and while all of that is going on, theres a $200 collector oriented set for adults who have watched the Simpsons for the last 25 years. No 8 year old kid is gonna roll up to the LEGO store, or ANY big box retailer and go "gently caress, I wish they had the Simpsons set because that train killed my love train for The Lego Movie." Not gonna happen. Plus theres a second movie coming out in a couple years, and having new sets come out to tie in with movies certainly hasn't hurt Marvel or DC LEGO sales, so I think they've got this planned better than you think.

The $200 Simpsons house is absolutely going to be marketed differently than the $30 trash truck monster set. Very few parents of kids are going to on a whim spend $200 on a gigantic complicated Simpson's house. Very few kids are going to want a hyper detailed Simpsons house versus a flying car that has lots of "swooshability". We took my nephew (10 yrs old) to the Lego store and he instantly ran for the trains, then the town and Lego Movie section. He walked right by the Simpsons display. If anything, the Simpsons House will compete with just two movie sets, Metalbeard's Seacow and Benny's Spaceship, due to price point, complexity of the model, and nostalagia (Benny's Spaceship is obvious, and the Sea Cow has all kinds of pirate memories tied to it.

If anything, I think Lego was expecting it to be a good movie, not great. I think they severely underestimated the amount of praise and nostalgia it would get from adults. My guess is that it was pitched as a kids movie, and lego made the original set of sets (Ice Cream Truck, Trash Truck, Melting Room) etc with kids in mind. Then some Lego execs saw a near finished print and realized the nostalgia value and pushed out the Sea cow and Spaceship... (kinda makes sense since they were both way late additions to the line)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's no way lego was surprised by adults liking the movie. There's far too many adult jokes and references to classic lego embedded. Even the original group of sets have throwback elements.

They may have underestimated the dollar figure the movie would pull in but they knew full well it would be a hit with both AFOL and kids.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mattfl posted:

Local target by me just put out a pretty non picked through box of movie figs. I picked up a few but I'm thinking I should just go back and buy the rest of the box today. First time I've seen them anywhere around here.

What about leaving some for children to buy and enjoy? An adult has access to the hundreds-of-dollars monster sets, why not let the kids making do with allowance money have some toys too?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What about leaving some for children to buy and enjoy? An adult has access to the hundreds-of-dollars monster sets, why not let the kids making do with allowance money have some toys too?

That's pretty funny that you think little kids are the ones buying these, when there are people in this very thread buying cases of them off the shelf!

Also, I own quite a few of the multi hundred dollar sets as well, but I also collect the minifigs.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

For the people complaining about repeats: are you just randomly grabbing or trying to feel through the bags. Sure you look goofy/dedicated standing there feeling up the bags, but this series is the easiest to pick through of them all. Unique pieces:

Emmett: flat 2x1 (without handcuffs)
Cat lady: cat
Robot secretary: beehive and flat 2x2 (no Lincoln hat and no Shakespeare hair/feather)
Lincoln: top hat/beard combo
Robot guy: gun, dynamite, fur hat
Construction girl: jackhammer
Where's my pants: two leg pieces
Mermaid: tail, jewel, and shell
Shakespeare: collar, feather pen
Robot wild west girl: skirt + gun, hat
President Business: mug
Wild West Wyldstyle: skirt + fan
Bad Cop, Squiggle Cop: 2x1 + handcuffs
Coffee guy: coffee cup without handle
Taco Tuesday guy: sombrero, plate, flat 1x1s

Like I said it takes time, but every minifig has a truly unique element. The flat 2x2 is the most repeated element, but even then if you find that, you can easily distinguish between the three with hair/hat. You may get the bonus happy feeling of having parents and kids come up looking for something and you can be like, "oh, I just had that... here you go" and make some kids day.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

xzzy posted:

Also I finished building the absurd amount of sets my family got me for my birthday, tossed em on a shelf.

:stare:

I think you need to go see the movie again...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mattfl posted:

That's pretty funny that you think little kids are the ones buying these, when there are people in this very thread buying cases of them off the shelf!

Also, I own quite a few of the multi hundred dollar sets as well, but I also collect the minifigs.

Every time I see a little kid spot the minifig display they go nuts, but congratulations on literally being Will Ferrell's character I guess.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

Every time I see a little kid spot the minifig display they go nuts, but congratulations on literally being Will Ferrell's character I guess.

So please tell me how many packs of mini figs I can buy at one time, please, I don't want to upset little children.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mattfl posted:

So please tell me how many packs of mini figs I can buy at one time, please, I don't want to upset little children.

Three. Four shalt thou not count. Five is right out.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

xzzy posted:

Three. Four shalt thou not count. Five is right out.

Well poo poo, I've bought 30 in the past 2 days. Guess I'm proper hosed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You monster. Why not drench them in crazy glue while you're at it?

And mix in a couple handfuls of megabloks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mattfl posted:

Well poo poo, I've bought 30 in the past 2 days. Guess I'm proper hosed.

There's a difference between buying lots of something and emptying the only display of a children's toy you've seen in your area (possibly to sell them for profit, since presumably you already have a complete set and you can't really army build with any of them.) If you can't spot the difference, it might be because you're an autistic manchild in a jewfro.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

There's a difference between buying lots of something and emptying the only display of a children's toy you've seen in your area (possibly to sell them for profit, since presumably you already have a complete set and you can't really army build with any of them.) If you can't spot the difference, it might be because you're an autistic manchild in a jewfro.

Well this escalated quickly now didn't it.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I just watched the movie, it inspired me to buy two minifig bags from a shelf wirh literal dozens of them. Now I'm a proud owner of two no pants guys

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yeah I'm not saying buy none, I'm saying don't buy all of them. Don't make it impossible for children to buy toys, you profiteering sperg. I spent a weekend driving my nephew around to five different toy stores before he could find even one blind bag to buy, and when we finally did we had to wait in the aisle for twenty minutes while 350 pounds of greasy ponytail and meme shirts felt up every single bag.

There are some sets that are clearly aimed at adult collectors, like the architecture sets and the insanely expensive scale-model poo poo, but the cheap silly stuff is for kids first and foremost and adults need to step back and let the kids have a chance to enjoy it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I just watched the movie, it inspired me to buy two minifig bags from a shelf wirh literal dozens of them. Now I'm a proud owner of two no pants guys

I both love and hate the blind bags for exactly for bad luck like this. At least you can trade them online if you want to be bothered with it.

I hate feeling like a creeper feeling up the blind bags, but I've gotten burned before with like 4x Judges in series 9 all bought at once :(

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mattfl posted:

I'll buy two Panda Guys off you as long as you're in the US, I don't want to have to pay international shipping. PM me.

They're not both for me, honest. I know someone else who needs one too. Please don't put me in the melting chamber!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Knormal posted:

I'll buy two Panda Guys off you as long as you're in the US, I don't want to have to pay international shipping. PM me.

They're not both for me, honest. I know someone else who needs one too. Please don't put me in the melting chamber!

No PMs but email me at mattfl @ gmail.com. I could care less who they are for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mattfl posted:

No PMs but email me at mattfl @ gmail.com. I could care less who they are for!

Couldn't, greedy sperg.