Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What are you guys doing in the case of "virutalize a pile of old PC's running random poo poo"

I'm thinking we can just buy some Win7 Pro licenses and run the apps in compatibility mode, since they are all XP right now.
- Turn it off, see who complains.
- Brutalize hardware until it fails, restore to VM from backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience with running CAD machines in VDI using the NVidia Grid technology? We have a specific use case that makes this look like our only option.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

What are you guys doing in the case of "virutalize a pile of old PC's running random poo poo"

I'm thinking we can just buy some Win7 Pro licenses and run the apps in compatibility mode, since they are all XP right now.

Just p2v them. Compatibility mode isn't really reliable. Figure out a way to get updated versions of software which actually work on 7/8.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evol262 posted:

Just p2v them. Compatibility mode isn't really reliable. Figure out a way to get updated versions of software which actually work on 7/8.
What do you do about the licenses then, assuming it's an OEM XP install on a HP or (gasp) Sony PC from Best Buy?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Bob Morales posted:

What do you do about the licenses then, assuming it's an OEM XP install on a HP or (gasp) Sony PC from Best Buy?

If you need to stay above the board, you get to find retail licenses and reinstall software.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

thebigcow posted:

If you need to stay above the board, you get to find retail licenses and reinstall software.

That'll be part of the problem - we don't even have 'XYZ Tariff Software from 2004'

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

VMware is it so hard to:
Make a vSphere vCenter vConverter that vSupports vAll the vVersions of ESXi/Workstation and can do physical disk->vmdk?
p2v is the foot in the door, of all the tools this one should make any crazy combo of source/destination relatively painless.

Making a vm so I can attach the disk and then use convertor to send it into the server is... a bit silly. The alternative is to hunt down 7 year old versions of imaging software.

Maybe I missed out on some 3rd party thing or a super-hidden VMware tool.

No you should be able to select the version during the conversion process. Even then if you goof up you can fix it fairly easily.

Mausi posted:

Sooo, a client uses a non-routed subnet to connect their NFS vmkernel ports to their NetApp, and mounts datastores using IP:/ExportPath. All datastores are connected to all hosts to make migrating VMs around simple, so far so good.
The problem is that this subnet is now nearly full, so how to get them more IPs for their new hosts when they can't simply expand the subnet because other services have the surrounding ranges? This is their Production environment, so simply turning everything off and switching to a new subnet isn't really an option.

I'm aware that vCenter throws a snit if the datastore mount path isn't identical, so the best plan I've thought of so far is to commision a new larger subnet, hook it up in parallel to the existing configuration, provision a bunch of new storage and write up some svMotion scripts.
The problem with this approach is that the environment in question is approximately 1300 vmdk's totally about 40Tb (thin that is, 110Tb allocated), and they're not keen on such things running during the day.

Anybody else got a better solution?

How many uplinks do you have from the Storage appliance and per host?

You could take 1 nic from each SP, reset the Subnet Mask, adjust a VMkernel on the host, ensure that subnet has connectivity, then flip the configs on the remaining nics on the SP and VMK's. It would be lengthy but you should be able to keep everything up.

The other way should also work but you're going to wait on Data moving.

CaptainGimpy posted:

Anyone have any experience with running CAD machines in VDI using the NVidia Grid technology? We have a specific use case that makes this look like our only option.

What questions you got? It works fairly well.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 11, 2014

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

CaptainGimpy posted:

I'm just about to go live with my Citrix XenApp project, using:
- XenDeskop 7.1 App Edition
- VMs inside Citrix XenServer
- Dell R720 with 128GB RAM and nVidia GRID K2

So far in testing results have been great, although we're not doing heavy 3D Design work (thus using XenApp instead of XenDesktop). Not enough users on the system yet to fully define how much load the server will handle, but I expect 30 at a minimum for our environment.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

That'll be part of the problem - we don't even have 'XYZ Tariff Software from 2004'
You need to find the ejection pull handle. And pull it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We're wanting to replace an old 2k3 server with something new, looking at a HP ML350eT08 E5-2420 SC 1.9GHz and I was planning on running vmware esxi on it and Windows 2012 essentials R2. Likely our current 2k3 will be turned into a VM temporarily until it's migrated from as well.

I'm wondering what kind of drive layout is optimal for running VM's, since if I understood it correctly you can run two VMs with one 2012 license and I want to take advantage of that. Not sure if there might be a third one running some kinda linux since sometimes we could have use for that, it would be very low intensity though.

We already have 5 drives from before that I think can be worth reusing, at least the three 146gb SAS drives in a RAID5 config we're currently using should be useful.

There's also a 72gb RAID1 config the OS resides on, will probably leave it and run something else on this server if it's salvageable.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I have a Linux system with Xen 4.1 and a couple of Windows HVMs. I'm trying to set up kernel debugging (custom video driver testing) between two of the Windows VMs (Win7 x64). For that I need a serial connection between them (USB is an option but I've heard it's harder to emulate properly). I've tried adding a serial='pty' option to VM's config file but this doesn't appear to create additional serial port in the VM. I'm mostly a windows guy so I don't really know what I'm doing wrong :v:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

We're wanting to replace an old 2k3 server with something new, looking at a HP ML350eT08 E5-2420 SC 1.9GHz and I was planning on running vmware esxi on it and Windows 2012 essentials R2. Likely our current 2k3 will be turned into a VM temporarily until it's migrated from as well.

I'm wondering what kind of drive layout is optimal for running VM's, since if I understood it correctly you can run two VMs with one 2012 license and I want to take advantage of that. Not sure if there might be a third one running some kinda linux since sometimes we could have use for that, it would be very low intensity though.

The two VMs for one 2012R2 licence is for 2012R2 Standard edition. Essentials is only a single license.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Varkk posted:

The two VMs for one 2012R2 licence is for 2012R2 Standard edition. Essentials is only a single license.

Correct, but you could install the Essentials package on a full 2012 R2 standard server.. if for some reason you wanted to do that :iiam:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Completely depends on what the VM's are using interns of IO, Capacity, and R/W's

What functions do your VM'd do?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Completely depends on what the VM's are using interns of IO, Capacity, and R/W's

What functions do your VM'd do?

I was thinking I'd run our websites of one VM and the mailserver of the other VM. Maybe run apache in a third linux VM.

Earlier I was planning to keep using use the 2k3 server as the mailserver (it does both now) but since it's beginning to have issues I don't want to use it for anything critical so I'd probably run it as a VM for the time being on the new server until we got the new ones configured.

Edit: I suppose another question is, do I even want to host the storage on the server or do I want a NAS or perhaps a SAN?

Edit2: Our standard supplier gave us an offer for a server with a RAID5 array consisting of 5 x 450GB 6G SAS 10K drives, 4 in the array +1 online spare. Looks good to me unless there are objections.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 13, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

omeg posted:

I have a Linux system with Xen 4.1 and a couple of Windows HVMs. I'm trying to set up kernel debugging (custom video driver testing) between two of the Windows VMs (Win7 x64). For that I need a serial connection between them (USB is an option but I've heard it's harder to emulate properly). I've tried adding a serial='pty' option to VM's config file but this doesn't appear to create additional serial port in the VM. I'm mostly a windows guy so I don't really know what I'm doing wrong :v:

Are you using libvirt XML files, or flat Xen configs?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was thinking I'd run our websites of one VM and the mailserver of the other VM. Maybe run apache in a third linux VM.

Earlier I was planning to keep using use the 2k3 server as the mailserver (it does both now) but since it's beginning to have issues I don't want to use it for anything critical so I'd probably run it as a VM for the time being on the new server until we got the new ones configured.

Edit: I suppose another question is, do I even want to host the storage on the server or do I want a NAS or perhaps a SAN?

Edit2: Our standard supplier gave us an offer for a server with a RAID5 array consisting of 5 x 450GB 6G SAS 10K drives, 4 in the array +1 online spare. Looks good to me unless there are objections.

My suggestion would be to use RAID 10 and skip the shared storage unless you are going to have multiple hosts. Just make sure you are taking image based backups so you can easily restore to some random ESXi box if your current host fails. I would store those backups on a cheap NAS.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

My suggestion would be to use RAID 10 and skip the shared storage unless you are going to have multiple hosts. Just make sure you are taking image based backups so you can easily restore to some random ESXi box if your current host fails. I would store those backups on a cheap NAS.

Perhaps then it might be good to expand the drive space on the planned host, we have an old NAS from before for shared storage of media and whatnot but I was planning on upgrading it with a Synology DS412+, but maybe instead we'll keep everything on the host and use the new NAS for offsite backup.

We'd still have to get a NAS for backup purposes anyway so this way we'd just need to buy one instead of two.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

evol262 posted:

Are you using libvirt XML files, or flat Xen configs?

Vanilla Xen configs. After some digging I determined that the serial port sort of works: I can send stuff from the VM to dom0, but not the other way. I'm testing like that:
code:
VM: copy con com1
dom0: sudo cat /dev/pts/7
The above works. But if I switch sides:
code:
VM: copy com1 con
dom0: cat | sudo tee /dev/pts/7
I don't see anything on the VM side.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

omeg posted:

Vanilla Xen configs. After some digging I determined that the serial port sort of works: I can send stuff from the VM to dom0, but not the other way. I'm testing like that:
code:
VM: copy con com1
dom0: sudo cat /dev/pts/7
The above works. But if I switch sides:
code:
VM: copy com1 con
dom0: cat | sudo tee /dev/pts/7
I don't see anything on the VM side.
Windows historically has issues with this on Xen unless you use the gplpv drivers

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

evol262 posted:

Windows historically has issues with this on Xen unless you use the gplpv drivers

Yeah I'm using PV drivers. Tried a port monitor and apparently the data is getting delivered to the VM. Now to debug why the remote debugging didn't work with the ptys connected with socat...

E:
code:
Opened \\.\com1
Waiting to reconnect...
Connected to Windows 7 7601 x64 target at (Thu Mar 13 21:02:12.234 2014 (UTC + 1:00)), ptr64 TRUE
Kernel Debugger connection established.
Symbol search path is: srv*c:\symbols*[url]http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols[/url]
Executable search path is: 
... Retry sending the same data packet for 64 times.
The transport connection between host kernel debugger and target Windows seems lost.
please try resync with target, recycle the host debugger, or reboot the target Windows.
Unable to read KTHREAD address fffff80002c5ccc0
Unable to read debugger data block header
Unable to read PsLoadedModuleList
Unable to read debugger data block header
I give up :negative:
Tried various port settings in VMs, nothing seems to work.

omeg fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 13, 2014

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jadus posted:

I'm just about to go live with my Citrix XenApp project, using:
- XenDeskop 7.1 App Edition
- VMs inside Citrix XenServer
- Dell R720 with 128GB RAM and nVidia GRID K2

So far in testing results have been great, although we're not doing heavy 3D Design work (thus using XenApp instead of XenDesktop). Not enough users on the system yet to fully define how much load the server will handle, but I expect 30 at a minimum for our environment.

Thanks. We're debating over the actual servers we're going to use. We have a decent deployment of VDI, but none with heavy engineering usage. Engineer can be an interesting lot to work with.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Going to perform a p2v of a *production* Windows 2000 server this afternoon. Wheeeeee!

Hyper-V is the host hypervisor, and the win2k box has a scsi boot drive. My plan is to power down, take an Acronis image, spin up a vm, boot it from an Acronis iso, and perform a universal restore to the vm. Probably the easiest way I know to go from scsi to ide for this particular migration. The test run of this used the VMWare agent to take a live image (no vss in 2k), then Starwinds converter to VHD, then immediate BSOD in Hyper-V because the boot volume was originally SCSI. So, VMWare, booted, Acronis image, restored to Hyper-V vm and it was golden. Just a lot of bullshit to get there...

Anybody have a better idea, short of "Yeah, they shouldn't be using 2000..." Should I install an ide driver on the guest before I p2v it, just in case?

PainBreak fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 14, 2014

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

Fun Shoe

PainBreak posted:

Going to perform a p2v of a *production* Windows 2000 server this afternoon. Wheeeeee!

Hyper-V is the host hypervisor, and the win2k box has a scsi boot drive. My plan is to power down, take an Acronis image, spin up a vm, boot it from an Acronis iso, and perform a universal restore to the vm. Probably the easiest way I know to go from scsi to ide for this particular migration. The test run of this used the VMWare agent to take a live image (no vss in 2k), then Starwinds converter to VHD, then immediate BSOD in Hyper-V because the boot volume was originally SCSI. So, VMWare, booted, Acronis image, restored to Hyper-V vm and it was golden. Just a lot of bullshit to get there...

Anybody have a better idea, short of "Yeah, they shouldn't be using 2000..." Should I install an ide driver on the guest before I p2v it, just in case?

What kind of window do you have to get this done?

If using Acronis worked during a test run just fine, I would leave it that way and not add any other variable to the mix. One thing that I usually run into during P2V's, people forget to take the physical server specific drivers off of the server. Network drivers are usually the most common which can cause weird/random issues.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

CaptainGimpy posted:

What kind of window do you have to get this done?

If using Acronis worked during a test run just fine, I would leave it that way and not add any other variable to the mix. One thing that I usually run into during P2V's, people forget to take the physical server specific drivers off of the server. Network drivers are usually the most common which can cause weird/random issues.

I've asked for a change management window of 24 hours. They want it done in 12, but we're moving from one colo to another, about 20 miles apart, so it'll get done when it gets done. It shouldn't take *that* long, but 2000 has always been a bit of a whore as far as P2V is concerned.

Acronis worked during the test run, but V2V, rather than P2V. I treated it like a P2P, however, so I don't think there will be any issues. The only issue I can think of is if the current physical server doesn't want to boot from the CDRom drive or the Acronis boot CD doesn't have drivers for the SCSI card.

Oh, and did I mention, this is the first time I'll ever physically touch or look at the server? Yeaaaah, last time I had to pass off a USB drive to the colo technician after waiting in the lobby for 45 minutes, because they "lost the ticket" from my client granting me access to the datacenter.

It'll go fine, I'm sure. I just always like to have a plan B, C, D, etc. Plan B is to use the VMWare Converter agent to get it to a USB drive, mount it in VMWare Player and use Acronis to V2V.

Plan C involves a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. For Plan D, I'll need to make sure I have The Wolf on speed-dial.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Have you pointed out to your client what a terrible idea it is to be making a risky, untested production change on Friday afternoon? Good luck! :smithicide:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

PainBreak posted:

Win2k stuff

This is basically what I did, except I used Clonezilla to make the disk image. It will work well enough and I don't care to lose my mind trying to get the boot disc to be something other than IDE.

Do not gently caress with the CD ROM settings while it is running or Win2k will fall over.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
My friend got in my CC"s newspaper thingy

http://www.tcc.edu/news/newsbriefs/2014/HerseyCartwright.htm

PainBreak posted:

Use Vmware converter on the VM, HW level 7

I believe you need the LSI logic for windows 2k

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 15, 2014

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
My old desktop machine didn't support Hyper-V. I just built a new one and wanted to play around with it, then I ran VMware Workstation and apparently it wont run on a Hyper-V machine. So gently caress me I guess. :(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

My friend got in my CC"s newspaper thingy

That's awesome for him. I finally got my stamp to get the VCP, but need to do a week or two of brush up.

Is the VCP550 (think that's what the new one is called) rolled out everywhere already?

I had old place at 5.1 a month after release. New place is still rocking 5.0 :(

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Implied Consent posted:

My old desktop machine didn't support Hyper-V. I just built a new one and wanted to play around with it, then I ran VMware Workstation and apparently it wont run on a Hyper-V machine. So gently caress me I guess. :(

Hardware virt doesn't coexist. KVM, Xen, Hyper-V (including Windows XP mode or whatever the consumer version/virtualpc that's actually hyper-v on consumer OSes), VMware (workstation, fusion, gsx/server, player), virtualbox with the extensions box checked. Pick one at a time.

If you want to use Hyper-V and workstation at the same time, consider turning nested virt on in Workstation and running Hyper-V inside that.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

That's awesome for him. I finally got my stamp to get the VCP, but need to do a week or two of brush up.

Is the VCP550 (think that's what the new one is called) rolled out everywhere already?

I had old place at 5.1 a month after release. New place is still rocking 5.0 :(

Yeah he's the guy I help teach-assist the VCAP and VCP courses, the VCP550 exam rolled out but you can still choose; he took the VCP550 beta I took the view VCAP beta.

You should still be able to choose the test at person.

Implied Consent posted:

Check the bios ensure AMD-V or intel-TV is enabled.Yyou may need to update the bios if pre-build, if HP check system security.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

evol262 posted:

Hardware virt doesn't coexist. KVM, Xen, Hyper-V (including Windows XP mode or whatever the consumer version/virtualpc that's actually hyper-v on consumer OSes), VMware (workstation, fusion, gsx/server, player), virtualbox with the extensions box checked. Pick one at a time.

If you want to use Hyper-V and workstation at the same time, consider turning nested virt on in Workstation and running Hyper-V inside that.

That makes sense. I wanted to evaluate Hyper-V and compare them. I just kinda hoped VMware would use software virtualisation like it used to before VT-x was even a thing. But I guess that was a long time ago.

I'll play around with Hyper-V but probably end up sticking with VMware. I don't use it that heavily. Mainly for software testing on the desktop.

Fake edit:
Binary translation seems to be working with vmx.allowNested set to true but only with 32bit guests. I'll have to see what the performance is like.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I suggest you google your CPU and see if it supports virtualization.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
It does. It supports VT-x and VT-d. It's a non-K edition Haswell chip.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Implied Consent posted:

It does. It supports VT-x and VT-d. It's a non-K edition Haswell chip.

Then hyper-V should run fine on it, make sure it's enabled in the EUFI/BIOS.

I'm a vmware fanboy, I think anyone can vouch for that. But hyperv as a standalone has some nice features.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

Then hyper-V should run fine on it, make sure it's enabled in the EUFI/BIOS.

I'm a vmware fanboy, I think anyone can vouch for that. But hyperv as a standalone has some nice features.

The issue wasn't using Hyper-V, it was using Hyper-V and VMware at the same time. Everything is sorted now, I understand the problem.

I'm running 64bit Windows 8.1 in Hyper-V and 32bit Windows XP in VMware concurrently right now. 8.1 in Hyper-V took about 3 minutes to install to an SSD. From first impressions with Hyper-V, VMware Workstation seems a lot nicer for desktop virtualisation. I guess that's not Hyper-V's primary focus though.

Why am I loving around with VMs at 6:20am? I'm going to bed.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
So, about that W2k P2V...

It's up and running in Hyper-V (2012 R2), but it recognizes no input from the keyboard or mouse, which means there's no post-P2V config happening, like, ya know, getting the NIC working. :) I was able to get logged in by resetting the admin password and setting up autoadminlogon using ntpasswd. I did this hoping it was just hanging up on a driver install, and that by logging in, it would know that I'm looking at it, so it would straighten its act up. No such luck.

I've also set "CompatibilityForOlderOperatingSystemsEnabled" to True for that VM, just in case.

Anyone seen that before?

Edit: I was able to inject a driver to get this going. What a pita.

PainBreak fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 15, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Implied Consent posted:

That makes sense. I wanted to evaluate Hyper-V and compare them. I just kinda hoped VMware would use software virtualisation like it used to before VT-x was even a thing. But I guess that was a long time ago.

I'll play around with Hyper-V but probably end up sticking with VMware. I don't use it that heavily. Mainly for software testing on the desktop.
Hyper-V has always used hardware virt.

64 bit guests have a different set of requirements. What I meant is:

Outside:
Vmware workstation with nesting enabled
Inside workstation:
Hyper-V server
Inside Hyper-V:
Guests

This works, believe it or not, and will let you use both at once. Hyper-V will be a bit slower, but not terrible on a Haswell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I have two hosts with 1gb NICs where we are configuring 10gb cards for iSCSI traffic. These are older 4.1 hosts and I can't upgrade them yet to a newer version for 'reasons' right now. If this is a bit basic I apologise, I am not really a vmware admin usually I just get to play with these things occasionally.

When we install the drivers for the new NICs, and set up the vmkernal ports, do the iscsi binding per the vmware 4.1 iscsi / san config guide, are they going to show up as additional paths to the existing LUNS if we use the same iSCSI target info? What would be required to transition the iscsi traffic over to those ports so that it stops going over our management vmk (I didn't set this up)?

Basically our list of iscsi targets will go from 5 down to one, on a nonrouted subnet which will contain only our storage interface and the NICs for these hosts.