Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Hbomberguy posted:

The artifice is so glaringly self-presenting it is basically the definition of satire and wow holy poo poo I enjoyed the star wars prequels what is wrong with me

I unironically enjoy the prequels, I'll admit it. I don't always agree with your readings of them but they're usually fun to read nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bongo Bill posted:

when Yoda and Mace Windu start talking treason, put them in a darkened council chamber or something, not just some hallway.

It's almost as if there's a point to these discussions being had out in the open of a "temple" and not in some shady backroom, as if the characters are aware that they're some Evil organisation bent on galactic domination.

The moral dilemmas Anakin faces are an invention of the characters and systems he is a slave to. Anakin's normal, it's his path that creates Darth Vader.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

sassassin posted:

It's almost as if there's a point to these discussions being had out in the open of a "temple" and not in some shady backroom, as if the characters are aware that they're some Evil organisation bent on galactic domination.

The moral dilemmas Anakin faces are an invention of the characters and systems he is a slave to. Anakin's normal, it's his path that creates Darth Vader.

I don't disagree, but it's a matter of tone. The type of grandiosity surrounding the Jedi is too... warm. Anakin's epiphany is undersold because Revenge of the Sith only expresses the importance to him of the things he witnesses by having him emote about them, rather than showing them the way he felt about them. Something should be going on in that scene in addition to half the Jedi Council deciding that they can overthrow the Republic but feel guilty about wanting to. Even just compare it to the scene where Han is leaving the rebel base.

Anakin's decision to turn on the Jedi is portrayed from the perspective of Obi-Wan, who doesn't understand it, and as a result the audience didn't understand it, and that's bad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Padme falling out of a plane wasnt all that subtle. Or being ordered to murder children. Or actually murdering chldren to avenge his mom.

Really, Padme falling out of a plane was the core of his turn. It's not subtle at all. That scene is right near too the scene where Obi Wan totally does not get it when Dracula is telling him that Palpatine is a Sith and the Jedi are morons.

(I think also his Mom dying was also core.)

euphronius fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 12, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
so are we getting a movie about darman's commando squad or one about the fetts

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

so are we getting a movie about darman's commando squad or one about the fetts

No, please no. Not Traviss' mandowankery, dammit.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What's the literary reading of C-3PO switching heads with a battle droid?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Variety lead role casting rumors abound.

quote:

The original draft by Michael Arndt was said to focus on Han Solo and Princess Leia’s kids, however, Abrams and Kasdan’s recent rewrite reportedly puts their offspring in a supporting role.

Hope status: rising.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Madurai posted:

You're only setting yourself up for bitter disappointment. Better to remain cynical and suspicious.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

You're only setting yourself up for bitter disappointment. Better to remain cynical and suspicious.

Abrams is involved, so you already know that it will be poo poo. The good news is that you won't see it thanks to all the lens flares he adds. So thats one less sense he'll be actively offending.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm watching random Clone Wars episodes on Netflix and Yoda is hanging out on Dagobah with R2 and the fanservice here is so ridiculous that it's actually entertaining.

This show actually does a better job of making Yoda, etc. look like idiots than the movies, and fit some of the readings in here a bit better due to various reasons.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

LeJackal posted:

Abrams is involved, so you already know that it will be poo poo. The good news is that you won't see it thanks to all the lens flares he adds. So thats one less sense he'll be actively offending.

:allears: Please enlighten me on the use of lens flaring in this man's films. I had no idea. You seem so knowledgeable.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LeJackal posted:

At some point my guess is this is going to become probateable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What's the literary reading of C-3PO switching heads with a battle droid?
I noted earlier that C-3PO serves the same role as the robot butlers in Elysium. He represents the efficient state apparatus that takes care of the people. Anakin builds and programs him to help his mother, the aging slave. And Anakin's eventual lesson is to treat all slaves with that same love. 3PO may be a servant, but his destiny is to become a servant of the people - a communist robocop, enforcing the dictatorship of the proletariat.

The joke in Attack of the Clones is that C-3PO is not quite there yet. He is still at war with himself: too smart to become a libertarian drone, but he knows - in his gut - that the liberal Jedi are his enemy.

There's also a flipside to the joke: it's not just C-3PO getting the wrong body, but a drone suddenly becoming conscious - wondering 'why am I doing this?' The Jedi immediately knocks him down, and grins.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I noted earlier that C-3PO serves the same role as the robot butlers in Elysium. He represents the efficient state apparatus that takes care of the people. Anakin builds and programs him to help his mother, the aging slave. And Anakin's eventual lesson is to treat all slaves with that same love. 3PO may be a servant, but his destiny is to become a servant of the people - a communist robocop, enforcing the dictatorship of the proletariat.

The joke in Attack of the Clones is that C-3PO is not quite there yet. He is still at war with himself: too smart to become a libertarian drone, but he knows - in his gut - that the liberal Jedi are his enemy.

There's also a flipside to the joke: it's not just C-3PO getting the wrong body, but a drone suddenly becoming conscious - wondering 'why am I doing this?' The Jedi immediately knocks him down, and grins.

Thank you.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

:allears: Please enlighten me on the use of lens flaring in this man's films. I had no idea. You seem so knowledgeable.

Lets see, he used so many that he issued a public apology for it. That's a good start. This video illustrates about 9 minutes worth of too much lens flare.

The man has a problem.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

LeJackal posted:

Lets see, he used so many that he issued a public apology for it. That's a good start. This video illustrates about 9 minutes worth of too much lens flare.

The man has a problem.

The internet is a scourge.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Star Trek is a sleek, shiny vision of the future, and Abrams reflected this literally. Why don't people get this?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kiimo posted:

At some point my guess is this is going to become probateable.

Funny you should mention that.

The Rules Thread posted:

UPDATE 1/29/13

For the love of God, no JJ Abrams lens flare jokes. That catchphrase ain't been funny in years. Lens flare jokes just clog up threads now, the desiccated husks of dead jokes.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Star Trek is a sleek, shiny vision of the future, and Abrams reflected this literally. Why don't people get this?

heh, "reflected this literally"

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Corek posted:

heh, "reflected this literally"

Well his literal reflection made his movie look for poo poo - and I hope he doesn't bring the same aesthetic to the Star Wars films. The OT was shot in a much more grounded way that fits a lot better than an epileptic Photoshop job.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Well least we don't have to worry about Jania Solo sexing it up in a chamber full of rape bugs. :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How the hell are they going to make then 12/18/15 premiere date. Less than two years and it's not even fully casted yet.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Someone please read into the Star Wars Holiday Special. I want to see people convince themselves it's more watchable than the original films because it's something they 'get' and normal people don't.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

That loving Sned posted:

Someone please read into the Star Wars Holiday Special. I want to see people convince themselves it's more watchable than the original films because it's something they 'get' and normal people don't.

I don't know what you mean by watchable, so here are three responses based on whatever your definition:

1: It's equally as watchable as any of the other films. You put the dvd in and hit play, or open the avi file you torrented.

2: The movie is a shocking indictment of the concept of holidays. The revolution's important, guys, but put it on hold for a while: I gotta visit grandma! The film, whether Lucas means it or not, is saying 'stop celebrating christmas, there is suffering to deal with. Put the suffering first. Stop it! STOP IT!' Hopefully the film ruined numerous christmases, and even more hopefully those kids grow up to become more willing to put the suffering first. The movie being boring as poo poo only supports my premise.

3: One Star out of five, two thumbs way down, fourteen pineapples out of sandwich, etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

euphronius posted:

How the hell are they going to make then 12/18/15 premiere date. Less than two years and it's not even fully casted yet.

Was it ever revealed what was going on with Carrie Fisher? They're casting a younger actress for flashbacks or something? Or she just got replaced? Would they actually ditch one of the original cast after specifically rewriting to make the movie about the original cast?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wikipedia says she is still in so who knows. The footman from Downtown Abbey I guess is in it for a lead?

A footman. As a Jedi apprentice!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Was it ever revealed what was going on with Carrie Fisher? They're casting a younger actress for flashbacks or something? Or she just got replaced? Would they actually ditch one of the original cast after specifically rewriting to make the movie about the original cast?

Time will tell, but that rumor always seemed pretty sketchy. I don't think it ever even made it to a lot of the bigger movie news/rumors sites.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Shooting begins in May.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-set-to-roll-cameras-may-2014.html

"It has also been confirmed that Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces. No further details on casting or plot are available at this time."

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
"No further details on casting or plot are available at this time."

I laugh at this line. I LAUGH! HA HA HA!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Am I wrong for looking forward to the potential of a Lost in La Mancha (2002, Narration Jeff Bridges)-style postmortem documentary of the production more than the actual film at this point?

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

mr. stefan posted:

Am I wrong for looking forward to the potential of a Lost in La Mancha (2002, Narration Jeff Bridges)-style postmortem documentary of the production more than the actual film at this point?

I think what's going on here is similar to what's happening with WB and DC making Superman and Batman. They knew they wanted to make a splash and had a very valuable property so they pushed it out publicly. Then they realized they didn't entirely want to make the thing they started out making, and now have to sort of figure out what it is they ARE making.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Robot_Rumpus posted:

I think what's going on here is similar to what's happening with WB and DC making Superman and Batman. They knew they wanted to make a splash and had a very valuable property so they pushed it out publicly. Then they realized they didn't entirely want to make the thing they started out making, and now have to sort of figure out what it is they ARE making.

So...a mess? Has something on this scale ever turned out alright?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The heck are you talking about? Those are hugely successful and profitable franchises.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Madurai posted:

Star Wars VII: Hope Status Rising would be an ok title

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Episode 7: A Newer Hope
Episode 8: The Rebels Strike Back
Episode 9: Return of the Revenge of the Jedi

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Robotnik Nudes posted:

The heck are you talking about? Those are hugely successful and profitable franchises.

My guess is he that he is referring to quality, more so than profitability.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Then they realized they didn't entirely want to make the thing they started out making, and now have to sort of figure out what it is they ARE making.

Since the hexalogy is cyclical, there already is an Episode 7. It's called The Phantom Menace.

Return Of The Jedi ends in Luke's implicit failure, as the inherent corruption of the Republic causes the Sith to re-emerge. Fans may recall that 'Return' was originally titled 'Revenge of the Jedi'. Although that title was softened, the idea of cyclical vengeance is still present: each trilogy ends with one party achieving a temporary revenge.

Abrams is consequently in the unenviable position of making a film that's more Star Wars than Star Wars itself. Episode 7 must break the cycle by surpassing Luke, being even more Light. Anything less would be, essentially, a remake - totally superfluous.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Since the hexalogy is cyclical, there already is an Episode 7. It's called The Phantom Menace.

Return Of The Jedi ends in Luke's implicit failure, as the inherent corruption of the Republic causes the Sith to re-emerge. Fans may recall that 'Return' was originally titled 'Revenge of the Jedi'. Although that title was softened, the idea of cyclical vengeance is still present: each trilogy ends with one party achieving a temporary revenge.

How exactly are you reading the ending of Return of the Jedi as a failure? I see it as Vader bringing balance to the force by killing the Emperor(and himself), and Luke succeeds in turning away from the dark side because he refused to kill his father. I could understand what you're saying if Luke had executed Vader and the Emperor and just changed the name of the Empire to the Republic, but he turned away from all that, which I saw as a victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Tangled? Frozen?

• Locked thread