Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Are there any desktop mail clients that aren't total poo poo though? I tried using thunderbird once and ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A ticket came in.... last Friday at 5pm :mad:

Client's server has a folder on it with thousands of duplicate files, would like a list of them.

I eventually find a free app that allows export to .csv for free, run it and send the result. I even get a thank-you email for it on Saturday!

Today client writes back and wants to know, of the 82GB in this folder, how much of that is files 5MB and greater (11GB worth), and how much space would be saved by deleting their duplicates (6.2GB).

I send her these answers, and she'd like to go ahead and delete duplicates 5MB and up.

I'm not much of a scripting guy, but I imagine a batch file could do this - could it?

EDIT: Never mind, looks like nirsoft has what I need!http://www.nirsoft.net/articles/find_duplicate_files.html

Edit 2: Only thing it doesn't do is let me select only the duplicate files.

What kind of server is this? If they're stuck on Windows and you can get them up to 2012, deduplication will work wonders.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

guppy posted:

I spent a couple of hours wrestling with a bluescreening laptop (device driver issue) for a VIP, because Windows does not respect its own settings. I eventually had to go and find the registry key that controls the setting I needed; this key's location is different from what the documentation says it is and it has a different name from what the documentation says it does. This laptop also does not have an optical drive or a wired NIC, and the device that was causing problems was the wireless card. That was a fun time. :argh:

I feel your pain - we had some dell laptops like that & traced it to a specific version of Intel centrino wifi drivers. I think they were version 15.3, upgrading took care of it. Also, I hate proset software with a passion, on some laptops it would randomly drop wireless if proset was managing the connection, if windows managed it, it never had an issue.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I forgot to lock my laptop yesterday while working in a public area with our sysadmin (former Army Sgt.) I came back, unlocked it, and saw his message in notepad "Lock your computer or do pushups."

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

I forgot to lock my laptop yesterday while working in a public area with our sysadmin (former Army Sgt.) I came back, unlocked it, and saw his message in notepad "Lock your computer or do pushups."

At my old company there was an email alias set up for this situation. You'd find a picture of a goat and email it from the person's address to Goats@contoso.com.

:shrug:

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

GWBBQ posted:

A friend's company would 'Hasslehoff' people, making their desktop something like this:

I prefer installing the BSOD screensaver: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897558.aspx

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Drunk Badger posted:

A friend's company would 'Hasslehoff' people, making their desktop something like this:

I prefer installing the BSOD screensaver: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897558.aspx

Heh. Careful. Panicky users will do dumb things. I had a customer's POS do the default fire-on-the-screen xscreensaver and his reaction was to immediately unplug it from the wall.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What kind of server is this? If they're stuck on Windows and you can get them up to 2012, deduplication will work wonders.

2008 (non-r2) SBS. I was able to do what I needed with Duplicate Cleaner Free by Digital Volcano, which is what I used in the first place to list all the duplicate files. Sorted!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Drunk Badger posted:

These kinds of things are all in good fun but I wouldn't do them to anybody outside of IT. Too many people are too panicky and you could easily get fired for "hacking."

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

These kinds of things are all in good fun but I wouldn't do them to anybody outside of IT. Too many people are too panicky and you could easily get fired for "hacking."

Meanwhile, in my last but one job (about 12 years ago), I happened to mention Goatseing people in conversation once with my boss, who then asked me what it was, looked up the image, found it hilarious and starting setting it as the background every time the sales dudes left their machines unlocked.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Edit 2: Only thing it doesn't do is let me select only the duplicate files.
Total Commander can load selections from a file, for future reference.

TC is definitely one of my most important tools as a sysadmin.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
E: Never mind. I can't script today. :(

Crowley fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 13, 2014

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

That's our default as well. We had someone complain, previously, that it's offensive to gay people to Hasslehoff, but we always used the picture of him in blank trunks and a leather jacket. I can see how he could complain but I can't help but feel he was grasping at straws.

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

Lum posted:

Meanwhile, in my last but one job (about 12 years ago), I happened to mention Goatseing people in conversation once with my boss, who then asked me what it was, looked up the image, found it hilarious and starting setting it as the background every time the sales dudes left their machines unlocked.

Sales people aren't human so it's OK to do this.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

:| Hey GWBBQ, we need more remotes for the combo units on the TV carts
:) OK, can you get me the model number on that?
:| I don't have one handy

He's generally really good, but I think I'm going to have to talk with him about taking initiative and working independently without explicit instructions.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

At the last healthcare company I worked, sending messages from unlocked accounts happened one too many times and eventually they put in a policy that it was an immediate termination to send an email from someone else's computer!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Migishu posted:

That's our default as well. We had someone complain, previously, that it's offensive to gay people to Hasslehoff, but we always used the picture of him in blank trunks and a leather jacket. I can see how he could complain but I can't help but feel he was grasping at straws.

Surely it would only be offensive to straight men and lesbians?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

mattfl posted:

At the last healthcare company I worked, sending messages from unlocked accounts happened one too many times and eventually they put in a policy that it was an immediate termination to send an email from someone else's computer!

So this coworker I don't like managed to send an email using my computer, no idea how it happened I'm always super careful, anyway can you fire him now please?

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

SolTerrasa posted:

At my old company there was an email alias set up for this situation. You'd find a picture of a goat and email it from the person's address to Goats@contoso.com.

:shrug:

Our unofficial policy for razzing those who don't lock their machines is to send an email out to their supervisor, and immediate team members with the subject line "HAS ANYONE SEEN MY BASEBALL??"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's me, I'm the one that just quietly locks their workstation instead of being a hazing rear end in a top hat. v:shobon:v

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just email everyone else in the company letting them know that you're going to be bringing in donuts for everyone tomorrow.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

slightpirate posted:

Our unofficial policy for razzing those who don't lock their machines is to send an email out to their supervisor, and immediate team members with the subject line "HAS ANYONE SEEN MY BASEBALL??"

"Hey it's my turn to buy cake for coffee this afternoon!" works too.

edit: beaten

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I literally beat in the streets people who don't lock their computer JUST FUN AND GAMES YALL HE'S GOT HEALTH INSURANCE DONT WORRY

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A ticket came in from Spain. Seemed like a fairly simple, common issue due to a full partition, so I sent him instructions to clear out old files that were the most likely culprit.

Customer emails us about 5 times at around 3am our time that the suggested fix didn't run properly, that the issue is very urgent, we must increase the priority. This is for a backup node in an HA pair, so their actual service isn't impacted. Despite it being a VERY URGENT issue, they don't call us, like we require for all actually urgent issues. We have a European support team, with access to translators, but this guy still emails us constantly in very broken issue.

They can't log in. I send them password reset instructions and tell them to run my original suggestions, and tell them to call if it's actually urgent. They tell us to call the onsite contact, since they're apparently in Miami. The onsite customer has no idea why we're calling, asks if I'm one of their customers, and transfers me to a busy signal in Spain.

They reset their password, run my suggested commands, and a bunch of others for no apparent reason. Most of those command fail because they didn't do them as root. You can hardly do anything on these machines without being root. They should know this, because they're running other commands that I didn't give them, so it's not like they've never been on the CLI before. Fortunately, my command did work, and indicates that the problem is what I suspected.

They're not sure which of the files they can delete. They're all backups from 2012, and basically useless. I tell them to remove a bunch to free up space, as root. They can't elevate privileges because their user isn't in wheel, even though all users are added to wheel by default. I send them instructions to add themselves to wheel, and leave for the day.

5 more emails come in. They've somehow managed to fail to run these commands. They ask some questions about basic things covered in documentation. They state the issue is very urgent (because they're part an MSP and not meeting their own SLAs due to their incompetence and inability to understand our instructions, basically), and rope in one of our employees in Spain, who is apparently also unaware that we provide phone support, and emails me to let me know the issue is urgent, and that we should escalate.

The customer blunders around some more, and creates some new accounts for no apparent reason. They let me know this, emailing me several of their passwords (including the ever-popular "our company's name in 1337speak") in the process, and eventually manage to run the commands I originally suggested. This fixes the issue.

gently caress customers.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

:suicide:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. gently caress Lotus Notes, holy poo poo.

Edit:

Noone over in the Contract division wants to believe me when I tell them that the PDFMaker in Acrobat X is not compatible with Office 2013. I've had 6 different people email me with "can you tell me why this doesn't work" while CCing their manager, who I've already talked to about the problem, and I'm just replying back with a screenshot of Adobe's Third Party Software Compatibility page.

The frustrating part is that printing to PDF still works, and the native PDF conversion that's built into Office still works. They're complaining because they don't have the "PDF" tab with it's giant "convert" button on their ribbon anymore, and that the print/native convert generates a flat document without bookmarks/TOCs/Hyperlinks. It doesn't impact the ultimate result of their job, it's just loving with their workflow to have to use Ctrl-F to find a section instead of clicking on the TOC.

And the department just shelled out for Acrobat X to replace Acrobat 9 last summer. They're not going to buy 49 licenses for XI less than a year later.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 13, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Adobe is doing that bullshit so people start paying per month for their cloud offering, so you're always updated.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Our wireless ISP had to do some maintenance this morning on a UPS/generator/power something-or-other. Predicted downtime was supposed to be 30min but could be as long as from 1-6am. Only its 1:45pm and their poo poo is still broken. We've been up and down at least a dozen times today, I missed the first couple of rounds due to an emergency trip to the vet, but over lunch when they were supposedly switching back to the mains, we were down for a solid 45min. Now they are driving a new radio tower over from their HQ an hour away.

We're back up now (until they do the swap out...) but our connection is so flaky we're dropping packets and now our call center can't get signed into their phone software.

This is affecting production! :mad:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Since I saw in another thread about someone undocking a laptop improperly, it reminded me of a case a co-worker had back when I worked with end user systems.

There was this IT head that contacted in for support on several docks and laptops: apparently they were CATCHING ON FIRE. Literally on fire.

Of course that was taken seriously. After investigation we found out why this was happening: it turns out he was forcing the laptops onto the dock in the way he thought they would dock. This would cause pins either on the dock port or the laptop port to bend together create an arc - which then caused an electrical fire.

Needless to say replaced the systems and docks but he was told that we are not replacing them if this happens again.

Guess who I got a call from about the same issue two months later. :downs:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The HR director called and ask me if we could stream March Madness games to each of our plant locations via a projector from the internet. And that it's high priority.

Uhh, no.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Lightning Jim posted:

Since I saw in another thread about someone undocking a laptop improperly, it reminded me of a case a co-worker had back when I worked with end user systems.

There was this IT head that contacted in for support on several docks and laptops: apparently they were CATCHING ON FIRE. Literally on fire.

Of course that was taken seriously. After investigation we found out why this was happening: it turns out he was forcing the laptops onto the dock in the way he thought they would dock. This would cause pins either on the dock port or the laptop port to bend together create an arc - which then caused an electrical fire.

Needless to say replaced the systems and docks but he was told that we are not replacing them if this happens again.

Guess who I got a call from about the same issue two months later. :downs:

... Did they fire this man who was causing a serious health and safety hazard due to gross incompetence? :psyduck:

Wait, forgot what thread I was reading. They probably gave him a raise.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

There are times when being contractor for your former employer rules. Especially when you told them that their new main IT guy is a total idiot. Case today:

:derp: "Where did you leave off on X project that requires a major purchase? I need to get it done by Sunday."
:black101: "uh it was nixed due to cost and timing. I left a note in the 3 year plan to do this in January..."
:derp: "Oh I threw that out cause I wanted to start fresh. What's the process and est cost?"
:black101: "Gotta get it approved by 2 people since its more than $1000 and the reseller generally takes a week to get this back to you if you're lucky."
:derp: "we're in a spending freeze sooooooooo...."
:black101: "don't tell me you also removed the computer that was over there and haven't put it back yet."
:derp: "uhhh I guess I need to do that too."

Not my problem anymore :lol:

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

AAB posted:

:derp: "Oh I threw that out cause I wanted to start fresh."

Is this a valid excuse because I would really like to use it.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

hackedaccount posted:

Is this a valid excuse because I would really like to use it.

It's a valid excuse so long as you have enough manegerial clout over the guy you're saying it to

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Yeah this guy doesn't and his whole job is basically entry level help desk and maintaining everything I setup over the past 2-3 years. It's been less than 6 months that I've been gone. So much for the 3 year plan that I set and had budget numbers for!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey blackswordca! Wasn't that meeting of doom that may or may not be an exit interview supposed to happen this week? I gotta know, man.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

President Ark posted:

... Did they fire this man who was causing a serious health and safety hazard due to gross incompetence? :psyduck:

Wait, forgot what thread I was reading. They probably gave him a raise.

I'd like to say we got contacted by him from another company but I can't say for sure.

Thing is: his company heads were in on the call from what I've heard so... :iiam:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Depends. I've spent the last half year or so axing dumb poo poo that previous people set up, like a scheduled batch script that runs a piece of vbscript spaghetti code which does callbacks to other batch scripts... Just to download a single file from an FTP server on a daily basis.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Does anyone else have supervisors that have intimate knowledge of everything that is going on, but refuse to let you in on the secret so you can do your loving job, then swoop in at the last minute to interfere with every single loving thing you end up working on and take all the credit? Do you first find out about every single project, big or small, three days after it's supposed to have been finished? Are your repeated inquiries related to how things are set up and operate completely ignored, only to have said reaction come back to bite you in the rear end?

Is it just me or is this basically IT in a nutshell, because I think I'm beginning to understand this whole :yotj: thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The bit about withholding information was a big part of my previous job. It's definitely not par for the course with IT, and a fair reason to :yotj: for.

I couldn't work out why anyone would think that not giving me the full details when trying to make a decision was a good idea, maybe it was to keep some illusion of power going? I didn't hang around enough to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

Does anyone else have supervisors that have intimate knowledge of everything that is going on, but refuse to let you in on the secret so you can do your loving job, then swoop in at the last minute to interfere with every single loving thing you end up working on and take all the credit? Do you first find out about every single project, big or small, three days after it's supposed to have been finished? Are your repeated inquiries related to how things are set up and operate completely ignored, only to have said reaction come back to bite you in the rear end?

Is it just me or is this basically IT in a nutshell, because I think I'm beginning to understand this whole :yotj: thing.

That was my entire experience when I was a contractor at a large local corporation (not doing IT). I wrote some stupid programs to make my team's life easier, took a mandatory break (to avoid giving contractors stock options), and when I came back one of the managers had gone through my code and literally only changed my name to his. He then would send out emails telling other teams to "check out this cool program he wrote". It was also common for my team to help other teams that were struggling and then not receive any recognition while the one that we helped were praised for doing such a thorough and accurate job. My personal favorite was when higher managers would come by, pull us all off the task we were currently working on to do this other "priority one, extremely urgent, needs to get done now" task and would then chastise us for getting the first task done immediately after what we were moved to.

• Locked thread