Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I found that out after I bought my CLU too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
nVidia is announcing that support for DX10 GPUs (Geforce 300-series and earlier, plus Geforce 405) will end with the Release 340 drivers. These will be the last driver set supporting obsolete GPUs.

Anandtech also has an article up about the Geforce 800M-series. The big difference is that nVidia is dropping the Geforce GT/GTS nomenclature, reserving Geforce GTX for good cards and plain Geforce for garbage cards with lower performance than Intel integrated graphics. A big change is that nVidia will no longer allow partners to ship Geforce GTX cards with DDR3 RAM, guaranteeing that no one will get stuck with a card half as fast as it should be. The Geforce GTX 850M is a pretty awesome guaranteed Maxwell card, unfortunately GTX 860M can either be a great Maxwell card or a poo poo Kepler card with much worse power efficiency. GTX 870M and higher are all poo poo Kepler parts.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 13, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Alereon posted:

nVidia is announcing that support for DX10 GPUs (Geforce 300-series and earlier, plus Geforce 405) will end with the Release 340 drivers. These will be the last driver set supporting obsolete GPUs.

Anandtech also has an article up about the Geforce 800M-series. The big difference is that nVidia is dropping the Geforce GT/GTS nomenclature, reserving Geforce GTX for good cards and plain Geforce for garbage cards with lower performance than Intel integrated graphics. A big change is that nVidia will no longer allow partners to ship Geforce GTX cards with DDR3 RAM, guaranteeing that no one will get stuck with a card half as fast as it should be. The Geforce GTX 850M is a pretty awesome guaranteed Maxwell card, unfortunately GTX 860M can either be a great Maxwell card or a poo poo Kepler card with much worse power efficiency. GTX 870M and higher are all poo poo Kepler parts.

Thats actually pretty disappointing on the mobile front.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
The GDDR5 thing is great and long overdue, I love my V7 but the 4GB DDR3 750M is stupid as hell especially trying to drive a 1080p panel.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

go3 posted:

Thats actually pretty disappointing on the mobile front.
Maxwell is a game-changingly great mobile GPU, the lovely thing is that all the GTX 800M parts aren't Maxwell-based. A Maxwell GTX 850/860M seems like the perfect option for a gaming laptop that still retains portability and battery life.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So you're saying that I'm going to want to replace my brand new Retina MacBook Pro in about 6 months?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So you're saying that I'm going to want to replace my brand new Retina MacBook Pro in about 6 months?

I was just thinking the same thing :negative:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I was mostly being facetious. That's just the nature of technology. Buy Maxwell and you'll want Volta a few months later. :shobon:

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Get owned, expensive laptop havers.

*holds onto GTX 560 waiting for 20nm maxwell*

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Hey, API nerds: Valve just released their DirectX 9.0c-to-OpenGL code open source. It's a mostly-complete DX9.0c compatibility layer meant to be compiled directly into the game binary, for use in porting games to Linux or Mac OS.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alereon posted:

Oh why, oh why NVIDIA would you call two completely different parts exactly the same thing (860M). Say what you like about AMD's part naming, and the fact that recently both NVIDIA and AMD have been guilty of fairly obvious rebrands, at least AMD doesn't call two different parts the same thing.

Bravo on the GDDR5 thing, though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm not really sure if this is a right place or not but maybe you guys could help me out?
Something hosed up recently and now a lot of games have weird issues with anti-aliasing. I've never seen anything like this before and Google gives me nothing.

Examples:
MSAA 16x(Q)
MSAA 8x
Also Unreal Engine 3 games, while not having any AA support other than FXAA, look weird now. Normally FXAA removes almost all jaggedness.

It doesn't affect all games either, seems like it bugs out when a game using some particular technique but I don't have many games installed right now, so I can't really see the connection. I'm absolutely sure though that it wasn't like that before.

I'm using a GeForce 560 GTX with Win7 x64. I already tried updating DirectX and doing a clean reinstall of all Nvidia drivers between versions 314.21 and 335.23.
Except for clean OS reinstall I don't have any more ideas on what might fix that.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 13, 2014

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Hey, API nerds: Valve just released their DirectX 9.0c-to-OpenGL code open source. It's a mostly-complete DX9.0c compatibility layer meant to be compiled directly into the game binary, for use in porting games to Linux or Mac OS.

The source for their vogl OpenGL profiler/debugger was released too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Alereon posted:

Maxwell is a game-changingly great mobile GPU, the lovely thing is that all the GTX 800M parts aren't Maxwell-based. A Maxwell GTX 850/860M seems like the perfect option for a gaming laptop that still retains portability and battery life.

I'm sitting on a 675M so believe me when I tell you just how much I want Maxwell to be awesome

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
The new 750ti and its implications lead me to consider the possibility a gaming laptop for the first time in my life

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So the GM107 GTX 860m performs the same as a GTX 760m. However the GK104 GTX 860m seems to be a GTX 775m with 6 SMX instead of 7. The 870m is a 775m with an increased clock speed. Same goes for the 880m and 780m.

From what i saw on rumor sites and researching the 800 series I figured the 800 wouldn't offer much in the ways of a speed boost.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ShaneB posted:

Don't use CLU, use CLP. CLU hardens over time much worse than CLP.

I'm only using the CLU for under the heatspreader, which is basically permanent as far as I'm concerned. The other goo is for the blocks.

Or is it still an issue for using to replace the lovely tim under the lid?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
I know Nvidia is the hot thing right now, but dealnews shows the XFX R9 280X for $300. Now I was going to get the GTX760 for $250, but this 280X seems much better, in fact beating out some games against the GTX770. Would you jump on this seems like a good card?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

I'm only using the CLU for under the heatspreader, which is basically permanent as far as I'm concerned. The other goo is for the blocks.

Or is it still an issue for using to replace the lovely tim under the lid?

I've seen videos/photos of people who used it in supposedly permanent ways (heatspreaders/sinks in laptops, etc) and it just dried out, performance suffered, they pulled stuff out to see crumbled poo poo. CLU is easier to apply, but CLP was actually totally straightforward and doesn't have that issue.

Edit: does anyone remember how much 280x's were originally? Looks like supply is finally beating demand, and you can find them in stock at real normal stores like newegg for $340 or so.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 13, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not really sure if this is a right place or not but maybe you guys could help me out?
Something hosed up recently and now a lot of games have weird issues with anti-aliasing. I've never seen anything like this before and Google gives me nothing.

Examples:
MSAA 16x(Q)
MSAA 8x
Also Unreal Engine 3 games, while not having any AA support other than FXAA, look weird now. Normally FXAA removes almost all jaggedness.

It doesn't affect all games either, seems like it bugs out when a game using some particular technique but I don't have many games installed right now, so I can't really see the connection. I'm absolutely sure though that it wasn't like that before.

I'm using a GeForce 560 GTX with Win7 x64. I already tried updating DirectX and doing a clean reinstall of all Nvidia drivers between versions 314.21 and 335.23.
Except for clean OS reinstall I don't have any more ideas on what might fix that.

Could you identify for me what the problem is, exactly?

A common thing these days (including all UE3 games, btw) is that most engines use deferred contexts rather than forward rendering, and as such have to have in-game implementations of AA, or shader-based methods which don't give a poo poo about 1. the type of engine, or 2. HUD elements etc. (talking about injection; obviously, if it's programmed it, it should be programmed to ignore text elements and all that).

Are you forcing the AA through the control panel, or setting it in the games? Because forcing anything but FXAA through the control panel just plain does not work on most modern D3D games. While your first instinct might be to blame the previous console generation and their relatively restrictive memory limitations for the rise of deferred rendering, it's not really true... I'm going to stop myself before I go off on a big tangent that has nothing to do with ridiculously large cases or three grand worth of graphics cards or whatever, sorry.

When you say that FXAA doesn't work, what do you mean by that? It behaves differently than it used to, even in the same games? The control panel version of FXAA is sort of a happy medium kinda thing, it isn't really very aggressive - it's not the same as the 360/PS3 "damned near free" shader pass, but it's extremely resource-light - so to hear that it was really doing a number on your jaggies before is kind of :raise:. Don't get me wrong, I was pleased as punch when they introduced that, because for the first time ever I was able to effortlessly get working AA in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games (and I was mad as heck when Tim Lottes didn't finish the next version, it was so god damned close, TXAA is great but we could have had some super duper badass FXAA and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh). But it is a far cry from perfect on the "cures all ailments" AA front. It's sorta somewhere between 2xMSAA w/quincunx blurring and not-really-quite 4xMSAA, and there are certain use cases where it just totally screws up and doesn't work. But it also has some really nice things, like the fact that it's agnostic to transparency - which comes with a rather terrific performance hit when using the most effective conventional transparency AA methods.

So what is FXAA doing now that it was not doing before? And what was it doing before that was so fantastic, exactly?

Possibly unrelated note, the GTX 560 is a fickle card and nVidia have worked for YEARS to try to put out a stable set of drivers for that god damned thing, you might consider a cross-grade to a 750Ti, as it should perform better (being a rough performance analog to the 650Ti... but slightly better), while drawing all of like 60W, full bore, and offering modern features. Oh, and not being baffling as gently caress in its idiosyncratic issues.

Your card is also just old as heck, may be simply due for an upgrade 'cause parts are drifting, who knows?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ShaneB posted:

Edit: does anyone remember how much 280x's were originally?

MSRP is $299.

CamelCamelCamel is a great thing for finding old prices; and I can find 280Xs that were $300~

vvv Most definitely, the 280X compares most closely (basically totally equal) to a 770. If it were still available at MSRP all day long, it would be a no-brainer

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 13, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Peechka posted:

I know Nvidia is the hot thing right now, but dealnews shows the XFX R9 280X for $300. Now I was going to get the GTX760 for $250, but this 280X seems much better, in fact beating out some games against the GTX770. Would you jump on this seems like a good card?

It is a very good card, it's basically a 7970GHz with a few odds and ends tweaked. The 280X really doesn't show its age when compared to a 780Ti

Okay, there's some fuzzy logic to that statement, GK110 is technically of the same generation but we've only been able to buy the 780Ti since, what, last November? What I'm saying is it still holds up, and it outperforms the 760 pretty much across the board.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

eggyolk posted:

Is there word on a single-slot 750Ti coming anytime soon? Would be a godsend for mITX builders.

Someone must have heard your pleas, you asked yesterday and this hack guide was posted today:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/single-slot-geforce-gtx-750-ti,3761.html

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Ignoarints posted:

The new 750ti and its implications lead me to consider the possibility a gaming laptop for the first time in my life

If you plug it into an external monitor and keyboard it's an overpriced budget mITX system I guess.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Nephilm posted:

If you plug it into an external monitor and keyboard it's an overpriced budget mITX system I guess.

Yeah, not ideal for sure. Just possible.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Agreed posted:

When you say that FXAA doesn't work, what do you mean by that? It behaves differently than it used to, even in the same games?

So what is FXAA doing now that it was not doing before? And what was it doing before that was so fantastic, exactly?

Could you identify for me what the problem is, exactly?
The thing is that right now, in some games, anti-aliasing is applied inconsistently. Some parts of the image are aliased, some are not. Even games that support MSAA on their own, don't remove aliasing in some situations (it has something to do with the shadows it seems).
A couple of weeks ago, those particular examples that I gave (Street Fighter, ARMA 3, XCOM), had a good anti-aliased image, either through games' own MSAA, Control Panel forced FXAA, or both.

Hell, Street Fighter has horrible aliasing even when using 16xQ MSAA, which is ridiculous, it worked perfectly before.

Agreed posted:

Your card is also just old as heck, may be simply due for an upgrade 'cause parts are drifting, who knows?

True. Some versions of drivers for 560GTX gave me (and lots of other people, according to Nvidia forums) a BSOD and they didn't manage to fix it until 6 months(!) later.
I suppose it's time for an upgrade. Which is a shame, because performance wise I am really satisfied with my 560GTX. None of the games that I play ever uses more than 50-75% of its power.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So if I stupidly wanted to throw money at a card that could do 1440p, would I want a 280x or GTX 770 for the same cost ($330-340 on the low end), or would I wait for something new? This purchase couldn't happen until say, June, anyway.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jack Trades posted:

True. Some versions of drivers for 560GTX gave me (and lots of other people, according to Nvidia forums) a BSOD and they didn't manage to fix it until 6 months(!) later.
I suppose it's time for an upgrade. Which is a shame, because performance wise I am really satisfied with my 560GTX. None of the games that I play ever uses more than 50-75% of its power.

10 months, actually, and I'm in the same boat as you (the 560 Ti says mine has nicer paint but eh).

At least a 750 Ti means I have a PhysX card if I ever decide I need more graphics oomph. Which, given how my tastes in games (and the games industry in general, and Intel's efforts) are trending the last couple years, are probably less than coinflip.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 13, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The 460 is still hosed even with the latest driver and will randomly hang up the computer. Works fine with the old 314 driver :iiam:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I'm running an evga 770 acx cooler. Anyone else having problems with the fans rubbing and causing vibration/noise?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Welp, another nail in the coffin of my motherboard's lousy Crossfire setup. I have the habit of keeping Crossfire active and just running games in fullscreen windowed mode whenever I want to run a single GPU. Since Crossfire requires exclusive fullscreen, this should pretty much be the same as running with Crossfire off... right?

Apparently not. FFXIV exhibited some frequent and annoying stutters, as did Diablo III, which by any means is not a graphics intensive game. Instead of running fullscreen windowed with Crossfire on, I tried fullscreen windowed with Crossfire off. What do you know, instant improvement.

And the more damning part is that Thief, which I had been banking on being an "AMD Optimized title" to actually handle Crossfire worth a drat, actually has better performance with it off than on. As in, a single 2GB 7850 offers smoother, better frame rates at 2560x1600 than a pair of the same. :doh:

Now I don't know if I want to keep going with my original plans of waiting until Broadwell to upgrade my old Lynnfield i7 or if I'll get something right now just to get rid of this awful PCIe-through-PCH setup. If I could be certain it is indeed the source of all my Crossfire issues, maybe.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ignoarints posted:

I'm going to try using the 750ti for a gaming laptop too, but in a totally different way.

Nvidia claims that because of the Maxwell architecture, the 750ti can stream better than Kepler. Not sure if that will carry over to Steam In-Home Streaming but I'm going to see if the whole shebang is good enough to use with my laptop over the internet. Comcast has a monopoly around here so all my friends' houses have a ping time under 10ms to mine. Might as well see what happens!

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Zero VGS posted:

I'm going to try using the 750ti for a gaming laptop too, but in a totally different way.

Nvidia claims that because of the Maxwell architecture, the 750ti can stream better than Kepler. Not sure if that will carry over to Steam In-Home Streaming but I'm going to see if the whole shebang is good enough to use with my laptop over the internet. Comcast has a monopoly around here so all my friends' houses have a ping time under 10ms to mine. Might as well see what happens!

I thought you needed very high bandwidth for the steam thing, regardless of whether the service allows you to do GPU encoding. And either way, the 750Ti will be a pretty weak card by the time bugs with it are halfway through ironed out.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

ShaneB posted:

So if I stupidly wanted to throw money at a card that could do 1440p, would I want a 280x or GTX 770 for the same cost ($330-340 on the low end), or would I wait for something new? This purchase couldn't happen until say, June, anyway.

I have a 780 and you can't run some games at max settings (or even high in some cases) at 1440p. I wouldn't want to try 1440p with anything less for sure. I'm not too concerned by it, I play on my TV that is 1080p a lot of the time anyhow.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

subx posted:

I have a 780 and you can't run some games at max settings (or even high in some cases) at 1440p. I wouldn't want to try 1440p with anything less for sure. I'm not too concerned by it, I play on my TV that is 1080p a lot of the time anyhow.

Screw it, I'll just toss another 270x in there and Crossfire them. Even with a new PSU it will still be cheaper and better for 1440p than trying to replace the 270x I have now. I really am kicking myself for getting a 550w. It's just the wrong wattage for everything.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Anyone tried out the newest and the second newest whql nvidia drivers? Some reason I keep on getting random system wide freeze with them especially when there's a 3d application or game running on one of the screen.

This happens on two different computers I've tried with, one with 6 series and another with 7 series desktop gpu. And now I've rolled both of them back to the driver from January.

I believed in you nvidia :argh:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nephilm posted:

I thought you needed very high bandwidth for the steam thing, regardless of whether the service allows you to do GPU encoding. And either way, the 750Ti will be a pretty weak card by the time bugs with it are halfway through ironed out.

The lowest bandwidth setting I see in Steam Streaming is 3Mbit and SpeedTest.net is giving me 4Mbit upload. Plus the 750ti isn't going to be a weak card when the laptop it is streaming to is 1600x900 native, that's 44% less than 1080p

Again, no harm in seeing what happens, I'll report back.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Wellll I mean later things based on the taste the 750ti gave us. How do you use a 750ti for a laptop though?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ignoarints posted:

Wellll I mean later things based on the taste the 750ti gave us. How do you use a 750ti for a laptop though?

I just explained it. You sign up for the Steam In-Home Streaming beta and run it on a desktop with any card (though the 750ti is supposed to have the best stream hardware and is what I currently own). Then you nab a decent, old laptop (I think even without discrete graphics is fine) and put it on a fast wireless network or an extremely fast VPN, run Steam on that too and it'll let you launch a game from off your desktop (locking use of the PC while you're doing so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Ignoarints posted:

He means streaming to a laptop from a desktop with a 750ti.