Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

If you look at the timestamps, the faster one is newer = Aio I assume.

I know, it's only 450kB/s, which is considerably slower than what I get:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

FAUXTON posted:

I know, it's only 450kB/s, which is considerably slower than what I get:

HSPA+ is capped at 4mb/s LTE is capped at 8.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Athenry posted:

HSPA+ is capped at 4mb/s LTE is capped at 8.

Well that explains it. The difference is largely academic anyway, it's probably less of a comparative delay than the processing overhead on webpages where it might actually be noticeable. I just thought someone was getting hosed out of half the speed he was paying for.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I have been using straight talk for abut 3 months now. This is from my Nexus 5 just a minute ago. I live in Texas. I pay $45 a month and I think your crazy if your spending more than that anywhere else.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Citycop posted:

I have been using straight talk for abut 3 months now. This is from my Nexus 5 just a minute ago. I live in Texas. I pay $45 a month and I think your crazy if your spending more than that anywhere else.

I wouldn't touch straight talk with a ten foot pole. I got hosed out of my old phone number by Net10 and Straight Talk is the same crowd of motherfuckers under a different name.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Citycop posted:

I have been using straight talk for abut 3 months now.
I live in Texas. I pay $45 a month and I think your crazy if your spending more than that anywhere else.

Check out AIO wireless, it's owned by AT&T proper rather than America Movil. Customer service is much better than ST/N10, and depending on your needs, the prices are better. You could be paying $35/month for the same coverage, or $45/month for the exact same service package without Straight Talk's dumb anti-streaming policy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Straight Talk and Net10 suffer from the same problem: TracFone.

TracFone doesn't give a poo poo if their services aren't working, they don't care if you're being throttled for something you didn't do, and they will gently caress you over eventually.

They do NOT like porting out ANY numbers. They are required to do so by federal law but they'll do their best to gently caress it up somehow or make the process slow. You could get lucky but this is doubtful. I worked for Virgin Mobile before and, to be honest, when a port-in or port-out is slow, it's not because of "our systems are going slow", it's because one side is loving around and it's usually the carrier you're moving away from. TracFone was notoriously bad at taking their sweet time and would regularly take the maximum of 72 hours.

I constantly had MMS issues on ST. I was told multiple times that it "must be your phone" and constantly told to "reboot your device" or "it is an app on your phone" or "what apps are you using"? Each time, they had to "fix" something. They fixed nothing but claimed they did.

Honestly, ST isn't really worth it. Everyone who jumped on ST when I did moved on not long after I switched to AIO. One is even going to Verizon Prepaid because ST was that bad. The other is moving to AIO as well.

Enough of my rant though. :v: I DID remember to post this:

These are apparently the new colors of AIO Wireless. No idea why the website still has the magenta-ish colors, but that color was no where to be seen in the AIO stores I went to.

Also, I find that map to be really tacky for some reason. It's literally a thick piece of plastic just in the shape of the USA and just stuck to the wall. It was the hugest display in the entire store so it'd draw your eye as soon as you walked in.

...Seriously, even the AT&Ts stores here in Omaha don't have this just...what.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I wouldn't touch straight talk with a ten foot pole. I got hosed out of my old phone number by Net10 and Straight Talk is the same crowd of motherfuckers under a different name.

I ported my number into ST, then out to AT&T, then into Net10 and then to GoPhone, and then to Verizon without issue. Now I will say their CS was awful, but they didn't do anything that ridiculous.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Lblitzer posted:

I ported my number into ST, then out to AT&T, then into Net10 and then to GoPhone, and then to Verizon without issue. Now I will say their CS was awful, but they didn't do anything that ridiculous.

I am unfortunately getting dicked around right now porting from ST to AIO and currently without a working phone. I read online that it was much easier to port ST > GoPhone > AIO than ST > AIO but of course that was after the ball got rolling. If by any stroke of luck any of you goons work for AIO or ST, please help me get this poo poo situated via PM.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lblitzer posted:

They basically froze me out and strung me along about how I was entering my account number/SIM number incorrectly, then it was my PIN that was incorrect, then it was possibly a market conflict (like how you can't even port a 402 area code number into T-Mobile, or even onto a T-Mo MVNO like Net10's T-Mobile service) and the number might not have been able to be ported.

Eventually the number was lost. I have GV but MMS happens to be rather heavily used by a lot of people I know and I'm not going to go sperging to them about Hangouts.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

SB35 posted:

I am unfortunately getting dicked around right now porting from ST to AIO and currently without a working phone. I read online that it was much easier to port ST > GoPhone > AIO than ST > AIO but of course that was after the ball got rolling. If by any stroke of luck any of you goons work for AIO or ST, please help me get this poo poo situated via PM.

Yeah, I had to go from Net10 to Gophone to Aio. But Aio is working pretty well so far. Haven't had any "you're connected to the tower, but your data isn't working" moments like I constantly got on Net10.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of AIO, AT&T just got the ok from the FCC to buy Leap Wireless.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/13/5505798/fcc-approves-att-purchase-of-leap-wireless

Looks like it'll remain CDMA for a while as AT&T is required to honor all CDMA roaming that Leap had. They'll start deploying LTE using Leap's unused spectrum within 90 days or 12 months of closing, and they've agreed to offer the cheap plans that Cricket customers are used to.

As for AIO, this shouldn't change anything but the name. If anything, Cricket will become GSM and CDMA for a while (with BYOP GSM plans), and keep the same rates and whatnot.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like it'll remain CDMA for a while as AT&T is required to honor all CDMA roaming that Leap had.

This isn't the actual text from the FCC (at least I don't think it is), but the exact phrasing is:

The article posted:

Honor existing CDMA roaming agreements that AT&T is assuming from Leap so long as it operates the CDMA network.

That makes it sound to me like they can turn off the CDMA network the day the transaction's finalized. They just have to honor roaming agreements until they do.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of AIO, AT&T just got the ok from the FCC to buy Leap Wireless.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/13/5505798/fcc-approves-att-purchase-of-leap-wireless

Looks like it'll remain CDMA for a while as AT&T is required to honor all CDMA roaming that Leap had. They'll start deploying LTE using Leap's unused spectrum within 90 days or 12 months of closing, and they've agreed to offer the cheap plans that Cricket customers are used to.

As for AIO, this shouldn't change anything but the name. If anything, Cricket will become GSM and CDMA for a while (with BYOP GSM plans), and keep the same rates and whatnot.

gently caress. I was liking the new Aio color too :smith:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

gently caress. I was liking the new Aio color too :smith:

Aio actually just put out this website answering questions for both Cricket users and Aio users.

http://merger-info.aiowireless.com/

If you are on Aio Wireless:

AioWireless.com posted:

Are Aio Wireless and Cricket Wireless one company now?
Not JUST yet. Although the financial transaction part of the merger is complete, it’s going to take some time to bring the two brands together. You can rest assured that everything we’re doing right now is to make sure everything remains simple and easy for you.

Do I need to do anything? Will I see any changes to my phone and features?
No, there's nothing you need to do to be part of the new Cricket. Your phone and phone number will continue to work and your rate plan will remain the same, so you can stay connected with friends and family.

Can I still make changes to my current rate plan, service and features?
You bet. You can still make changes to your current account plan and services.

Are there any changes to how I make my payments?
No. There are no changes to how you make payments or when your payment is due. Please continue to make payments as you do today.

Will I have to switch to a new phone to take advantage of the new Cricket service?
Again, no. There will be no need to change your phone.

With the new Cricket service, can I keep my rate plan?
Yes, there’s no need to switch your rate plan. But you can if you want. It's up to you.

Can I go to a Cricket store now for the new Cricket service?
We can't wait for you to start exploring all that our stores will have to offer; however, please be patient as it's going to take a little bit of time. We're working as fast as we can and will let you know as soon as your local Aio/new Cricket store is ready to roll out the red carpet for you and handle all of your service needs. Until then, stay close to your local Aio store for service. They’ll be able to help you now and as they become a new Cricket store in the future.

Will my current coverage change with the new Cricket service?
No, there will be no changes to your coverage with the new Cricket.

Who do I contact if I need help?
During the transition period, please continue to visit your local Aio (soon to be the new Cricket) location, or dial 611 from your wireless phone.

If you're on Cricket Wireless:

AioWireless.com posted:

The power of the new Cricket is coming soon. Here's what you need to know right now:

• You can continue to use your phone, your current phone number and the rate plan you have to stay connected with family and friends. (Score!)
  • Down the road, we'll work with you to take advantage of the many benefits of the new Cricket – when you're ready.

Are Aio Wireless and Cricket now one?
Not JUST yet. Although the financial transaction part of the merger is complete, it's going to take some time to bring two brands together. You can rest assured that everything we're doing right now is to make sure it's simple and easy for you. We'll keep you updated and let you know when we have more to share.

Do I need to do anything at this time?
Right now, there is nothing you need to do. Your phone and phone number will continue to work and your rate plan will remain the same. In the not-so-distant future, you'll receive special communications that will invite you into a new Cricket store when you're ready to choose a new plan and phone to enjoy the new Cricket's reliable, nationwide 4G LTE network.

What changes will I see to my phone and features?
No need to make any changes to your plan at this time. Stay tuned because we'll be able to share more with you in the not-so-distant future. Then, you can decide what you want to do, when you’re ready. Don’t worry, there’s plenty of time.

Will my phone number change when I migrate to the new service?
No, your phone number can stay the same.

Can I still make changes to my current rate plan, service and features?
Yes, you can still make changes to your current Cricket account plan and services.

Are there any changes how I make my payments?
There are no changes how you make payments or when your payment is due. Please continue to make payments to Cricket, as you do today.

When can I take advantage of the new Cricket rate plans? Will I need a new phone too?
Yes, but hold tight. We'll keep you updated on what you need to do – and when you need to do it, but there's nothing to do right now. In the not-so-distant future, however, we'll reach out to you and invite you to stop by one of our stores when you’re ready to choose a new plan and phone to enjoy the new Cricket's reliable, nationwide 4G LTE network.

When can I take advantage of new Cricket rate plans and phones?
We're working hard to integrate our systems and want to make your transition to the new Cricket as easy as possible. As soon as we've completed this work we'll send direct communication to let you know what to do and where to go to complete the move.

Can I go to an Aio (new Cricket) store for service?
We can't wait for you to start exploring all that our stores have to offer; however, please be patient as it's going to take a little bit of time. We're working as fast as we can and will let you know as soon as your local Aio/new Cricket store is ready to roll out the red carpet for you and handle all of your service needs. Until then, stay close to your local Cricket store for service. They'll be able to help you now and in the future.

Who do I contact if I need help?
As always, you can visit your local Cricket location or dial 611 from your wireless phone. We're more than happy to talk.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If I ever have another problem with Straight Talk I'll probably move to AIO, but for now it ain't broke so I don't want to fix it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Aio actually just put out this website answering questions for both Cricket users and Aio users.

http://merger-info.aiowireless.com/

If you are on Aio Wireless:

If you're on Cricket Wireless:

Oh god damnit Aio, don't gently caress this up. It's already bad enough that you decided to rebrand yourself as the official brand of walmart and call center employees everywhere. I was liking that understated seafoamish green you had going on and now you're probably going to adopt the EXXXXTREME TECH black/lime color palette from 1998/The Matrix/Monster Energy. All you've got left is your service and if that starts lagging I'm loving gone. I don't know where but it won't be with Cricket.

Ugh.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
At least you can pay your bill at gas stations now

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

At least you can pay your bill at gas stations now

How long til they're set up as a kiosk in Walmart and a little mini display in the goddamn grocery store?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

How long til they're set up as a kiosk in Walmart and a little mini display in the goddamn grocery store?

Someone who works for Cricket posted on Droid Life's article saying he was worried that AT&T would go after the stores that don't sell well:

Ronald Lockwich posted:

Being a Sales Rep for a authorized premiere with service Cricket store, this has me worried. AT&T is a more strict company and I don't think they would hesitate to close down stores that don't do so well (Gross Ads / Upgrades / Etc.). I get this idea because around Pittsburgh where I work it's like a 10/1 ratio of Cricket to AT&T stores.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/03/14/atts-aio-wireless-will-turn-into-cricket-wireless/#comment-1284610592

No one has done anything in response to his comment.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I don't know if I understand why they are using the Cricket name and not AIO. Cricket reeks of "WE FLASH AND JAILBREAK PHONEZ" type of sketchy run down strip mall stores. I picture people walking up with grocery bag full of change to pay their bill on the first of the month.

I guess it sounds cheap and affordable, which is the prepaid target market?

AIO branding seems better to me, but farewell I guess.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hotsauce posted:

I don't know if I understand why they are using the Cricket name and not AIO. Cricket reeks of "WE FLASH AND JAILBREAK PHONEZ" type of sketchy run down strip mall stores. I picture people walking up with grocery bag full of change to pay their bill on the first of the month.

I guess it sounds cheap and affordable, which is the prepaid target market?

AIO branding seems better to me, but farewell I guess.

Mostly because they're probably trying for Cricket's customer base to merge into AIO's.

Cricket doesn't have the BEST coverage (it was about on par with Boost/Virgin Mobile/Sprint when I was on it back in early 2000s) but there's a LARGE amount of people on it. For a while, Cricket was on top of the prepaid pile around Nebraska then Virgin Mobile, Boost, and Straight Talk jumped in. AIO + Cricket would give them a pretty decently sized userbase but they'll have to do some major rebranding if they want to get rid of the "this carrier is for the poors" thing.

Going to GSM definitely will push some people off as, for all most of these people know, their phone just "works". No fiddling with SIM cards or APNs or anything. Yes, it's sad, but just the addition of SIM cards and APNs could force some people away from it. Not to mention they would have to buy a new phone too but AT&T might just swap them with a comparable phone anyway.

I just hope the network won't get all bogged down with bullshit from people thinking they can tether and torrent whatever they want just because "it's MY DATA!!!!". Seriously, Cricket is rampant with that poo poo and I hope AT&T finally starts putting their foot down before it's too late. As it stands, you can get away with some tethering on AIO but not a lot. I want that "some" to be "none" if that means stopping people from tethering their desktop or laptop to their loving phone (yes, this happens).

Huh. Weird, half awake rant aside, I found this: http://www.mycricket.com/support/faq/how-is-mobile-hotspot-cricket-tethering-used%3F

Apparently, Cricket now has tethering for their phones. Maybe AIO will allow this proper and we won't have people doing stupid poo poo. :v:

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 15, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mostly because they're probably trying for Cricket's customer base to merge into AIO's.

Cricket doesn't have the BEST coverage (it was about on par with Boost/Virgin Mobile/Sprint when I was on it back in early 2000s) but there's a LARGE amount of people on it. For a while, Cricket was on top of the prepaid pile around Nebraska then Virgin Mobile, Boost, and Straight Talk jumped in. AIO + Cricket would give them a pretty decently sized userbase but they'll have to do some major rebranding if they want to get rid of the "this carrier is for the poors" thing.

Going to GSM definitely will push some people off as, for all most of these people know, their phone just "works". No fiddling with SIM cards or APNs or anything. Yes, it's sad, but just the addition of SIM cards and APNs could force some people away from it. Not to mention they would have to buy a new phone too but AT&T might just swap them with a comparable phone anyway.

I don't think people will be put off by SIM cards and APNs because they'll get the phone setup in the store before they let them leave like they already do. The only people that end up doing self setup are people who buy prepaid phones from Walmart/Target/Best Buy anyway.

CDMA isn't easier for self setup anyway and now that we moved to LTE all CDMA phones have SIM cards also. Sprint tried to do "embedded" SIMs but that only lasted for the year of the GS3 as the OEMs revolted.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

I don't think people will be put off by SIM cards and APNs because they'll get the phone setup in the store before they let them leave like they already do. The only people that end up doing self setup are people who buy prepaid phones from Walmart/Target/Best Buy anyway.

CDMA isn't easier for self setup anyway and now that we moved to LTE all CDMA phones have SIM cards also. Sprint tried to do "embedded" SIMs but that only lasted for the year of the GS3 as the OEMs revolted.

There are a lot of Cricket places that sell the phones second-hand like gas stations and tobacco stores. You'd have to set the phone up on your own there too as the cashiers are pretty much incompetent.

In all honesty though, the very idea of "I have to get a new phone" will turn people away more than self-setup will. Unless there's a voucher program to swap phones or an insane discount, they'll lose some Cricket customers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't care so much about "for the poors" since "prepaid" is basically still the same thing.

I'm more pissed about it because of what that other guy said, about how Cricket is for stolen/blacklisted-due-to-unpaid-bills phones. Because it loving is. Look on craigslist sometime around 2-3 months after a flagship release on Sprint. You'll see tons of that flagship phone *BAD ESN FLASHED TO CRICKET*

I don't want to be like "oh I have Cricket" and immediately get the stink eye like I'm about to reach for their loving wallet. At least when I namedrop Aio people don't know what the gently caress it is.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ugh. I don't know what the gently caress I was trying to say when I made that post last night...

Anyway...

FAUXTON posted:

I don't care so much about "for the poors" since "prepaid" is basically still the same thing.

I'm more pissed about it because of what that other guy said, about how Cricket is for stolen/blacklisted-due-to-unpaid-bills phones. Because it loving is. Look on craigslist sometime around 2-3 months after a flagship release on Sprint. You'll see tons of that flagship phone *BAD ESN FLASHED TO CRICKET*

I don't want to be like "oh I have Cricket" and immediately get the stink eye like I'm about to reach for their loving wallet. At least when I namedrop Aio people don't know what the gently caress it is.

To be perfectly honest, at least around Omaha, you wouldn't get this reaction. You'd mostly get the reaction of "Oh, that person's poor. They can't afford poo poo." Hell, I got this reaction from someone in the AT&T store near Staples because I had asked about a wireless charger and had casually mentioned I was on Straight Talk. It wasn't until I whipped out the Nexus 4 (which was the current Nexus at the time at a nice price-tag of $388 with tax and shipping) did they do a double-take and stop acting like I couldn't afford poo poo in the store.

When I was on Cricket, the worst I remember was having to go to their corporate store (which is, oddly enough, near that same AT&T store...) and having to wait in extremely long lines just to get service. It got so bad, they started giving out free cookies and allowing people to eat as much as they wanted as they'd most likely be there for a while.

Whatever I was trying to say last night, bah. What I'm mostly worrying about is the congestion on the network. Cricket has a LOT of people (at least in Omaha) and those people on top of Aio's current--albeit small--customer base...I don't know. Hopefully, it's not that bad. I don't really give a poo poo about people thinking I'm poor or whatever because usually when they realize your one phone is more than what they pay per month on-contract AND it's not some cheap piece of poo poo, they shut up. :v:

As for the whole "people will think I'll steal their phone and flash it to Cricket" thing, if AT&T rebrands it right, there'll be no way to do this and they need to let the public know via commercials and poo poo. I don't know how they could but I guess via word of mouth?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I just tell everyone I have prepaid AT&T.

Aio's 40 dollar plan is pretty amazing. (35 with autopay) if you don't use your phone much at all. Sprint can't even come close to that.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

SB35 posted:

Switching over to AIO from StraightTalk has been a little more work than normal, but a total breeze with the great service from AIO. The port hasn't ocurred yet so I'll update when finished but....

1. Filled out the order online, was told we couldn't port the number to AIO for some reason.
2. Called suggested porting help phone number (1-800-370-9687). There is no phone tree. If no one picks up a totally unidentified answering machine offers to take your message. After 4-5 calls, someone finally picked up.
3. Told customer service agent what happened on the website and that I wanted help porting the number to AIO, she was happy to help.
4. Customer service agent then asked me over the phone basically all the information that I had just filled out online (name, address, etc) but when I didn't have my ST account number on hand she simply offered to email me a form to fill out and return to her.
5. Received email, confirmed information I'd already given her, and added relevant ST account info. SIM card serial number (15 digits) as the account number, and PIN as found ST.com > My account > Update Personal Profile.
6. Customer service agent mailed the SIM card to me 2-day air (from Georgia) and told me the port will go through when I call the number in the SIM kit to activate the card.

Quoting myself from a week ago and updating.

7. Called in to activate the SIM and was told it had been activated power off and on the phone and it should be working within 3 hours at the latest. Still hadn't actually paid yet.
8. Wait overnight, wake up phone still not working. Do a support chat with AIO and am told they're working on the port and think something is hosed up, am given a case number.
9. Support chat with Straight Talk and they say the port has gone through on the day it was requested (one week ago) they say there's nothing more they can do. Losing her phone number panic sets in.
10. GF is now frustrated. AIO SIM isn't giving her any service and ST SIM payment has lapsed. I put a prepaid $2/day Tmo SIM in her phone to get her through until it's all figured out. GF isn't happy because she doesn't want to lose her number. I am in the doghouse.
11. I chat with AIO and Straight Talk again trying to figure out where the hold up is. ST is rude and unhelpful basically telling me it was ported out on Mar. 6, 14 to where they can't say, confirmation number, none. I am then rudely disconnected. AIO assures me that the port will go through and advises me to just be patient 1-2 more days. I'm not patient. Email the original customer support person I'd exchanged with initially praising the initial service and complaining about the hold up as it's now been 48 hours since I tried to activate the SIM and it doesn't work and I'm afraid they number has been lost into the ether. She mails me back the next morning 2.5 days after initial activation and tells me port has finally succeeded, now I just gotta pay. She offers to call and get my card number to pay (you see I can't pay online because my account is not active until I pay, and my online account cannot be setup until my account is active. Catch 22.)
12. Lady calls me and gets the card info and says we're golden. So I swap in the AIO SIM card when I get home and it works. Finally.

So, the TL;DR here is basically, porting from ST to AIO can be done but it can be a headache and expect 48-72 hour delay. Others have reported a much easier time porting ST > Gophone/Tmo > AIO as that can be done in a day all online and will only cost you ~$5 for a Gophone/Tmo SIM and a day of PAYG service. Other reports suggest that if you go to an AIO store the ST > AIO port can be done in a normal amount of time.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 15, 2014

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Just port to google voice and never deal with that poo poo again.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TLG James posted:

I'm already on GV so I don't have to deal with that poo poo. But iPhones don't play nice with GV so unfortunately porting is necessary. However, now that we're away from Straight Talk porting should be relatively straight-forward.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ugh. I don't know what the gently caress I was trying to say when I made that post last night...

Anyway...

To be perfectly honest, at least around Omaha, you wouldn't get this reaction. You'd mostly get the reaction of "Oh, that person's poor. They can't afford poo poo." Hell, I got this reaction from someone in the AT&T store near Staples because I had asked about a wireless charger and had casually mentioned I was on Straight Talk. It wasn't until I whipped out the Nexus 4 (which was the current Nexus at the time at a nice price-tag of $388 with tax and shipping) did they do a double-take and stop acting like I couldn't afford poo poo in the store.

When I was on Cricket, the worst I remember was having to go to their corporate store (which is, oddly enough, near that same AT&T store...) and having to wait in extremely long lines just to get service. It got so bad, they started giving out free cookies and allowing people to eat as much as they wanted as they'd most likely be there for a while.

Whatever I was trying to say last night, bah. What I'm mostly worrying about is the congestion on the network. Cricket has a LOT of people (at least in Omaha) and those people on top of Aio's current--albeit small--customer base...I don't know. Hopefully, it's not that bad. I don't really give a poo poo about people thinking I'm poor or whatever because usually when they realize your one phone is more than what they pay per month on-contract AND it's not some cheap piece of poo poo, they shut up. :v:

As for the whole "people will think I'll steal their phone and flash it to Cricket" thing, if AT&T rebrands it right, there'll be no way to do this and they need to let the public know via commercials and poo poo. I don't know how they could but I guess via word of mouth?

Yeah, the whole "eww poor" thing falls apart when you paid 2-3x as much for your phone because you bought it off-contract/unlocked. Why get ripped off for service every month when you can just pay upfront for the phone? :agesilaus:

There's no avoiding the shady bodega thing though. I'm just waiting for the day when they start directing me to "TOBACCO & PHONES 4 LESS" for anything I need to do in-person. There's almost always a cop parked at the one I pass on my way to/from work.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

TLG James posted:

I tried, it says my number is in a region that they can't port from (because gently caress flyover country I guess?)

FAUXTON posted:

There's no avoiding the shady bodega thing though. I'm just waiting for the day when they start directing me to "TOBACCO & PHONES 4 LESS" for anything I need to do in-person. There's almost always a cop parked at the one I pass on my way to/from work.

I don't know why everyone thinks this will happen. AT&T now owns both AIO and Cricket, right? Why would they allow the same shady stuff to continue, but now with their name attached? If Cricket weren't CDMA I'd conjecture that AT&T bought them to put a stop to all the stolen phone reactivation poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I tried, it says my number is in a region that they can't port from (because gently caress flyover country I guess?)

Sup flyover country buddy :stare::hf::stare:

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I don't know why everyone thinks this will happen. AT&T now owns both AIO and Cricket, right? Why would they allow the same shady stuff to continue, but now with their name attached? If Cricket weren't CDMA I'd conjecture that AT&T bought them to put a stop to all the stolen phone reactivation poo poo.

They're not doing the CDMA -> LTE rollover overnight. It's going to take a year at the very least and even then it's still "BAD ESN FLASHED TO" Cricket. I'm no Don Draper but I can tell you ATT isn't going to roll out commercials saying "TOTALLY LEGIT NOW HONEST."

I'd prefer if they found a way to cross-check the ESN lists with their ESN activation history and just put the screws to anyone whose ESN was issued to a device not matching what was activated. Not sure if there's a way to find out the original device as issued, but if they find an ESN that was originally issued to some Huawei shitbox, but was activated on an account that is using an iPhone, advise them of the problem, turn that poo poo off, and send them a cheapo free phone as an olive branch. It isn't like they weren't aware of the circumstances behind their purchase - you don't buy a current-gen flagship phone for $150 on craigslist from a guy who tells you it can't be activated with the carrier whose logo is on the drat thing without realizing that poo poo's shady as gently caress.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Sup flyover country buddy :stare::hf::stare:

They're not doing the CDMA -> LTE rollover overnight. It's going to take a year at the very least and even then it's still "BAD ESN FLASHED TO" Cricket. I'm no Don Draper but I can tell you ATT isn't going to roll out commercials saying "TOTALLY LEGIT NOW HONEST."

I'd prefer if they found a way to cross-check the ESN lists with their ESN activation history and just put the screws to anyone whose ESN was issued to a device not matching what was activated. Not sure if there's a way to find out the original device as issued, but if they find an ESN that was originally issued to some Huawei shitbox, but was activated on an account that is using an iPhone, advise them of the problem, turn that poo poo off, and send them a cheapo free phone as an olive branch. It isn't like they weren't aware of the circumstances behind their purchase - you don't buy a current-gen flagship phone for $150 on craigslist from a guy who tells you it can't be activated with the carrier whose logo is on the drat thing without realizing that poo poo's shady as gently caress.

How'd you make that GIF? :v

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://blog.bahraniapps.com/?page_id=21

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I saw that t-mobile's commercial advertises for Omaha in the ad. Lol

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TLG James posted:

I saw that t-mobile's commercial advertises for Omaha in the ad. Lol

I went to a T-Mobile store in Topeka back in December, they claim Omaha should have 3G "at least". She even allowed me behind the counter to actually see where their computers claim T-Mobile exists in Omaha. :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I went to a T-Mobile store in Topeka back in December, they claim Omaha should have 3G "at least". She even allowed me behind the counter to actually see where their computers claim T-Mobile exists in Omaha. :v:

It exists insofar as subscribers who live elsewhere being able to get service passing through. People living here able to buy T-Mobile service? Nope.

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gooncam/

E: I might just be pissy but I'm getting odd network issues today. It was doing the "connected to LTE but not transferring data" thing earlier and now it just seems sluggish.

I am not feeling optimistic.

E2: Hangouts chat messages (not SMS) are failing to send. Mother Fucker.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 17, 2014

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
After a few months on Republic Wireless, I decided to pull the trigger on a Nexus 5 and use it on AIO. It should be arriving on Wednesday, I shouldn't have any problems taking it into the AIO store and getting it on the Basic plan, right? Or is it one of those things where it would be easier to do everything through the website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PurpleJesus posted:

After a few months on Republic Wireless, I decided to pull the trigger on a Nexus 5 and use it on AIO. It should be arriving on Wednesday, I shouldn't have any problems taking it into the AIO store and getting it on the Basic plan, right? Or is it one of those things where it would be easier to do everything through the website?

You shouldn't have any issues, no.

• Locked thread