Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Isle Of Sparky Munroe
Dec 6, 2005

sleepingbuddha posted:

Get a Marvel Unlimited sub, even for just a month, sample a lot and figure out what trips your trigger. It's only 99 cents for a month for the next week.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/3/3/22060/read_nearly_15000_digital_comics_for_99_cents-updated

This seems like a really good deal since i'm not interested in too many comics. I'm really only interested in the main events that took place like House of M, Civil War, etc that is mentioned in the OP. That should be included, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sphinx posted:

This seems like a really good deal since i'm not interested in too many comics. I'm really only interested in the main events that took place like House of M, Civil War, etc that is mentioned in the OP. That should be included, right?

Yes, they are, though I hope you reconsider and branch out a bit, because while House of M isn't bad, every other event Marvel has done since then has been varying degrees of boring or awful.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I just want to recommend anyone who likes fun lighthearted comics NEEDS to read Bandette if you haven't already. It is utterly fantastic.

Absolutely seconded.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Are there any DC Crossovers from the 80s/90s worth reading? I've only read Identity/Infinite/Final Crisis. (Oh, and DC 1mil)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

(Oh, and DC 1mil)

Have you read the rest of Morrison's JLA?

Crisis on Infinite Earths is fun just for the history and it involving about 500 characters.

Do not do Zero Hour.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 11, 2014

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you read the rest of Morrison's JLA?

Yes, I read it all when I was doing prep for the Bat-epic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Are there any DC Crossovers from the 80s/90s worth reading? I've only read Identity/Infinite/Final Crisis. (Oh, and DC 1mil)
I still like Legends a whole lot--and yes, there are a million tie-ins, but you only really need to read the main issues. Turns out that John Ostrander knows how to write a good story!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground posted:

I still like Legends a whole lot--and yes, there are a million tie-ins, but you only really need to read the main issues. Turns out that John Ostrander knows how to write a good story!

I like Cosmic Odyssey, but that could be just the Mike Mignola art.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I like Cosmic Odyssey, but that could be just the Mike Mignola art.
Oh, I do to! I don't really consider it a crossover, though. It's just the 4 issues of itself. Definitely worth reading!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 11, 2014

The Isle Of Sparky Munroe
Dec 6, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Yes, they are, though I hope you reconsider and branch out a bit, because while House of M isn't bad, every other event Marvel has done since then has been varying degrees of boring or awful.

Just got my subscription. Don't worry, since I have it for a month I do play on branching out. I'll probably check out Daredevil (starting where, not sure) and Ultimate Spider-Man as I've heard good things about them. Regarding those Marvel events, are they at least okay until the New Avengers finale?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sphinx posted:

New Avengers finale?

You mean before the Marvel NOW! Hickman series? Here's what I thought of the crossovers...
Secret Invasion sucks.
Dark Reign/Seige, I found fun. It doesn't have an big event miniseries for Dark Reign. That was just the status quo leading up to Seige, but I enjoyed Dark Avengers as well as Secret Warriors, Iron Man, Remender's Punisher and the start of Jonathan Hickman's FF (the Dark Reign: Fantastic Four miniseries) during it.
Fear Itself sucked.
AvsX sucked.
Age of Ultron sucked.
Infinity was great! Hickmania!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 12, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sphinx posted:

Just got my subscription. Don't worry, since I have it for a month I do play on branching out. I'll probably check out Daredevil (starting where, not sure) and Ultimate Spider-Man as I've heard good things about them. Regarding those Marvel events, are they at least okay until the New Avengers finale?

Start at Daredevil 26 by Bendis. The New Avengers Finale is just the end of Bendis writing one Avengers book, and New Avengers volume 2 and his Avengers are not that great. Holy poo poo Dark Avengers v2 makes no sense.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sphinx posted:

Yeah, as I have in the OP, I'd probably recommend reading all or most of New Avengers v1 (the 2005 series), and I guess the events as laid out. The events do kinda get progressively worse, although Siege is probably better than Secret Invasion by virtue of the fact that it's half as long (4 issues vs 8 issues for Secret Invasion). I got really burned out by SI because it was slow, also I think the two Avengers books (New and Mighty) were double-shipping each month during it, but mostly just filling in back-story to the Skrull invasion, showing how people got replaced etc. It was a great idea but in practice it just didn't work, especially with the number of issues they were putting out for it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are ya gonna put any non-Marvel recs in the OP?

e: Just got reminded all the Stray Bullets stuff is out tomorrow. There's a recommendation. Buy the hell out of this https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/stray-bullets-the-uber-alles-edition-tp

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 12, 2014

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Absolutely seconded.

Bandette is great and costs a buck on Comixology!

What lovely art and a fun, funny story.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are ya gonna put any non-Marvel recs in the OP?
The good New 52 books are listed there already.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

The good New 52 books are listed there already.

:iceburn:

But seriously, in addition to his recommendations near the top of the first page, I think Fansub might've meant indie stuff as well.

JoeyTrez
Mar 2, 2014
Hey so I'm a complete and total newbie to the comic book world. I'm admittedly not really super interested in the whole superhero thing(Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash etc). And honestly I've only read the Regular Show comics from Kaboom because I'm a fan of the show.

But anyway the thing I'm really interested in anything that has to do with ninja/assassin/samurai stuff. I am also quite into humor. Does anyone have ANYTHING that they know of that somehow has these 2 elements in one? Doesn't necessarily HAVE to have humor in it, I would be happy with a really solid ninja-y type of comic. I realize manga would make sense as a route to take, but I'd like something that has color and I didn't have to read from right to left and wasn't in the "Japanese" style, if that makes any sense. Any help would be appreciated!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's black and white, but you might want to check out Usagi Yojimbo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo
https://digital.darkhorse.com/browse/series/12/

e: Not manga. It's an American comic.
And I've never read any, myself. It's been running for 30 years, so I'm not sure where a good jumping on point would be.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 13, 2014

JoeyTrez
Mar 2, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's black and white, but you might want to check out Usagi Yojimbo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo
https://digital.darkhorse.com/browse/series/12/

e: Not manga. It's an American comic.
And I've never read any, myself. It's been running for 30 years, so I'm not sure where a good jumping on point would be.

Whoa, this looks extremely familiar for some reason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He got a couple of action figures in the ninja turtles toy line back in the day, that's how most people know him.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

He also had a rad C64 game!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Usagi Yojimbo is fantastic. Stan Sakai also did a really lovely adaptation of the 47 Ronin too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

JoeyTrez posted:

But anyway the thing I'm really interested in anything that has to do with ninja/assassin/samurai stuff. I am also quite into humor. Does anyone have ANYTHING that they know of that somehow has these 2 elements in one?

What about ninjas, humor, doctors, and the Irish all in one?
http://drmcninja.com/

There are some collections out there. Dark Horse has started putting them out and the first volume from then is the beginning of the color comics and a decent place to start. The Omnibus is a collection of the b&w comics that came before. Or just read it on the web.

JoeyTrez
Mar 2, 2014

Uthor posted:

What about ninjas, humor, doctors, and the Irish all in one?
http://drmcninja.com/

There are some collections out there. Dark Horse has started putting them out and the first volume from then is the beginning of the color comics and a decent place to start. The Omnibus is a collection of the b&w comics that came before. Or just read it on the web.

This looks absolutely hilarious. Definitely gonna have to check this out.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

JoeyTrez posted:

Hey so I'm a complete and total newbie to the comic book world. I'm admittedly not really super interested in the whole superhero thing(Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash etc). And honestly I've only read the Regular Show comics from Kaboom because I'm a fan of the show.

But anyway the thing I'm really interested in anything that has to do with ninja/assassin/samurai stuff. I am also quite into humor. Does anyone have ANYTHING that they know of that somehow has these 2 elements in one? Doesn't necessarily HAVE to have humor in it, I would be happy with a really solid ninja-y type of comic. I realize manga would make sense as a route to take, but I'd like something that has color and I didn't have to read from right to left and wasn't in the "Japanese" style, if that makes any sense. Any help would be appreciated!

Hawkeye. Solid blend of action of humor with minimal superhero stuff. If you're coming from the goofy fun of Kaboom, this most recent issue where Clint hallucinates his recent history as a children's holiday cartoon is right up your alley!

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Comixology has a sale on Mark Waid's Daredevil vol 3, #1-27 including 10.1. I've read books 1-4 and enjoyed them very much, so I'm planning on buying as many of them as are good.

So which aren't, if any? I ask just because a skim of reviews showed things like #11, part of the Omega Effect event, was really poorly reviewed by some and if I can/should skip it, I will.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Inhumans: Where do I start? With the new post-Infinity series?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The series hasn't started yet. Just two issues from Matt Fraction that were meant to lead up to the ongoing 'Inhuman' that he bailed on. I'm excited for it though. Charles Soule (Swamp Thing, She-Hulk, Red Lanterns) is taking it over and he's just great.

The new Ms Marvel emerged from one of those Inhuman pods with her powers. Dunno if that'll be that for a tie-in, but the first issue was good.

If you want to hop back in the mean time, you could start with the Paul Jenkins/Jae Lee series http://www.amazon.com/Inhumans-Paul-Jenkins-Jae-Lee/dp/0785184740/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394859897&sr=8-1&keywords=inhumans+jae+lee
Then into the cosmic stuff (mainly War of Kings, I think. I haven't caught up on all of that.) and Hickman's FF.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 15, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
At the end of the last thread I asked about comics depicting superhero police forces. After reading through Top 10 again I realised what I was actually looking for was comics about superhero societies. Big cities crammed with costumed crusaders, governments stuffed with powered people, worlds run by the great and the good, stuff like that. Places where having powers is mundane.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with comics so the only other things I can think of that fit the bill are Top 10, The Authority, or the City of Heroes series that NCSoft commissioned. Can anyone recommend something else like these?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AXE COP posted:

At the end of the last thread I asked about comics depicting superhero police forces. After reading through Top 10 again I realised what I was actually looking for was comics about superhero societies. Big cities crammed with costumed crusaders, governments stuffed with powered people, worlds run by the great and the good, stuff like that. Places where having powers is mundane.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with comics so the only other things I can think of that fit the bill are Top 10, The Authority, or the City of Heroes series that NCSoft commissioned. Can anyone recommend something else like these?

Having powers isn't mundane in Astro City, but there are some really good stories about being a normal person in a city full of supers.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Hydrocodone posted:

Comixology has a sale on Mark Waid's Daredevil vol 3, #1-27 including 10.1. I've read books 1-4 and enjoyed them very much, so I'm planning on buying as many of them as are good.

So which aren't, if any? I ask just because a skim of reviews showed things like #11, part of the Omega Effect event, was really poorly reviewed by some and if I can/should skip it, I will.
I'd say that it's all worth reading, once the main storyline concludes in #25 or #26, the quality dips a little bit though. I enjoyed the Omega Effect crossover, it was pretty good. The only problem is that 2/3s of the story is in Avenging Spider-Man and Punisher, but it's only 3 issues total and the whole thing is written by Waid/Rucka.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Anything I should read before I start Remender's Uncanny X-Force?

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I'd say that it's all worth reading, once the main storyline concludes in #25 or #26, the quality dips a little bit though. I enjoyed the Omega Effect crossover, it was pretty good. The only problem is that 2/3s of the story is in Avenging Spider-Man and Punisher, but it's only 3 issues total and the whole thing is written by Waid/Rucka.

Thanks! I'll probably go for it all then. And the sale is actually all of #1-36.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

sleepingbuddha posted:

It uses a lot of old concepts, so you could read up on Fantomex, Apocalypse/Archangel, Age of Apocalypse, Psylocke's relationship to the Captain Britain world and a pile more.
Seems like someone totally up to date on X-Men history would be rewarded, but except for knowing about Fantomex from Morrison's New X-men, I went in cold on most of it and I think it was fine. I might have had to read some wiki about Captain Britain.

Veg posted:

Remenders X-Force omnibus releases tomorrow in my country, general consensus? what are some themes it explores? if I like ______ series I would also like Uncanny X-Force?

For reference, I'm newer to comics and my favourite runs are Millers DD, Snyders Batman and Lemires Green Arrow.

If you like good comics, you'll like it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 16, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

sleepingbuddha posted:

Nope.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Remenders X-Force omnibus releases tomorrow in my country, general consensus? what are some themes it explores? if I like ______ series I would also like Uncanny X-Force?

For reference, I'm newer to comics and my favourite runs are Millers DD, Snyders Batman and Lemires Green Arrow.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's Wolverine running an assassination squad and the mental and moral toll it takes on the characters. It's pretty violent and darkly funny at times, but never exploitative. The art isn't really flashy, but it's very good most of the time (solid panel layouts, managing not to make Psyloke's costume look ridiculous). There isn't much lightness to offset the dark themes, so it could feel a little crushing at times.

If you liked Miller's DD, this would be up your alley. There's a lot of references to 90's X-Men comics (especially Age of Apocalypse), but you should be able to follow along just fine without that knowledge. But if you have read AoA, yeah, this is a lot like that (but not cheesy).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Veg posted:

If I like good loving comics I would also like Uncanny X-Force.

Seriously, that run is probably my favourite superhero comics run of the past decade. It kind of builds off of Age of Apocalypse, but works well enough as a stand-alone read, as has been mentioned.

Re: themes.

I guess the primary theme is, in continuation of the Craig/Yost's X-Force, is it it worth it to take a possibly innocent life to save many more? The X-Force is a mutant covert hit squad, in this case featuring a great cast which Remender does a lot of interesting things with, especially someone like Deadpool. There's also a good amount of body horror and some really creepy villains, it's great.

There's a lull in the middle where they go to Otherworld, but generally it's just such a good example of an author being super creative with what he's given, and an artist that fully understands the meaning behind the words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

sleepingbuddha posted:

Dark Reign: The List: Wolverine features The World - a facility with confusing mechanics that plays a huge role in the UXF story.