Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sea Otter posted:

I asked about this before but how would "clever" dialogue options for low INT characters appear? Just out of curiosity or guess I lack the ability to imagine such dialogue.
A lot of Clever options aren't particularly smart, including low-hanging fruit like easy sarcasm. They still contribute to your rep as someone who sasses off even if it's not particularly brilliant in the moment. The people who react to the rep itself will be of two types a) a-ha, hey it's that hilarious guy! b) oh look it's that smart-rear end who thinks he's the king of comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

rope kid posted:

A lot of Clever options aren't particularly smart, including low-hanging fruit like easy sarcasm

So, basically clever is the goony equivalent, gotcha.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rope kid posted:

A lot of Clever options aren't particularly smart, including low-hanging fruit like easy sarcasm. They still contribute to your rep as someone who sasses off even if it's not particularly brilliant in the moment. The people who react to the rep itself will be of two types a) a-ha, hey it's that hilarious guy! b) oh look it's that smart-rear end who thinks he's the king of comedy.

So it's more clever-as-in-wiseacre and less clever-as-in-utahraptor.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Mozi posted:

Kind of like what they just did in South Park?

Did they? Hate the show, knew I'd never play the game. :sweatdrop:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

GetWellGamers posted:

Did they? Hate the show, knew I'd never play the game. :sweatdrop:

Yeah, the player character doesn't talk, and they joke about it pretty frequently in the game. It's actually pretty solid if you like Paper Mario but didn't think there were enough fart jokes, but it's pretty easy as well.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Stick of Truth is awesome and I hope they get Obsidian to make more South Park games.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ElrondHubbard posted:

Sterling Archer is more or less the antithesis of diplomacy

I would love to have Sterling Archer -like conversation options sprinkled throughout the game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

rope kid posted:

Do they get as inappropriate as the ones in dragon age 2? The sarcastic remarks were so off the wall that it was literally the best part about that game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I would love to have Sterling Archer -like conversation options sprinkled throughout the game.

*directs u towards Alpha Protocol*

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm pretty sure there were no "Hold on, I had something for this..." lines in Alpha Protocol. Or claims to have invented the tactical turtleneck.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

pun pundit posted:

I'm pretty sure there were no "Hold on, I had something for this..." lines in Alpha Protocol. Or claims to have invented the tactical turtleneck.

Steven Heck is Archer's spirit-brother.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

rope kid posted:

They're relative levels of reputation increase: Minor, Average, and Major. Major is pretty rare and is for severe things like

[Push wagon full of puppies into the tar pit in front of eagerly waiting orphans.] [Cruel - Major]
Ok rope kid, no more raiding David Gaider's dev docs, okay? :colbert:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Otto Skorzeny posted:

So it's more clever-as-in-wiseacre and less clever-as-in-utahraptor.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

No Mouse Trap???

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Is that giant-size-bullet-lookin' thing at the top some clever packaging of some crazy wargame, or just a novelty item?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Must some kind of bombshell, my gramps have an empty one from WW1 and it sort of looks like that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GetWellGamers posted:

Is that giant-size-bullet-lookin' thing at the top some clever packaging of some crazy wargame, or just a novelty item?

I'm not going to take the low hanging fruit and say it's your mom's vibrator, but I had a lunchbox back in the day that was very similar.

In actuality, and according to the context clues of the purpose of that shelf, it looks like it's a card game package.
http://www.herebebooks.com/onlinestore/product.php?id_product=135

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GetWellGamers posted:

Looks like the complete BANG! game to me.

Oh wait, oh God oh n-

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

rope kid posted:

The 10th is Rational, sort of a counterpart to Passionate.

Sweet! My wizard is probably going to end up absolutely insufferable.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

rope kid posted:

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, you kindly explained it before but, simply, I guess it was hard for me to separate the capability nuance from the word clever. To my ears, "sarcastic" or "cynical" would sound be more suitable since they are more of personality/attitude rather than ability but, here, I guess I'm wandering into the tricky maze of "wording" again. :P

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Stoic is the counterpart to Epicurian. :colbert:

Please let me play an Epicurian adventurer.
The suave option in Alpha Protocol felt epicurean to me. Thinking of it now, Bond appears to be more interested in flirting with girls rather than bashing people or doing his job.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Ok rope kid, no more raiding David Gaider's dev docs, okay? :colbert:
Yeah, out of character for Obsidian writers (Well, maybe, outside of something like South Park). However, I presume the exaggeration is due to its being an example.

Sea Otter fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 13, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Sea Otter posted:

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, you kindly explained it before but, simply, I guess it was hard for me to separate the capability nuance from the word clever. To my ears, "sarcastic" or "cynical" would sound be more suitable since they are more of personality/attitude rather than ability
I would have assumed "clever" meant witty/intelligent along with sarcastic/joking too.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
"Nah it's cool, I totally don't want a reward for risking my life and the lives of my companions saving your backwater shithole from those cave bandits."

"Really? Thanks!"

"...gently caress."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does this mean I win?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sea Otter posted:

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, you kindly explained it before but, simply, I guess it was hard for me to separate the capability nuance from the word clever. To my ears, "sarcastic" or "cynical" would sound be more suitable since they are more of personality/attitude rather than ability but, here, I guess I'm wandering into the tricky maze of "wording" again. :P

Those phrasings would imply your character is actually funny and self-aware, I like the connotation of 'clever' being an insufferable smart-arse who pisses everyone off with inopportune jokes (i.e. the only good thing in DA2).

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
So basically Suave Thornton from Alpha Protocol? I think maybe 5% of his lines actually got a positive response in that game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

redweird posted:

So basically Suave Thornton from Alpha Protocol? I think maybe 5% of his lines actually got a positive response in that game.

More like 20-25%: Mina and Scarlett varied on whether she liked it or disliked it, Surkov likes a suave guy, Madison reacts positively to suave & professional, Heck likes agressive and suave (depending on situation), the retired russian informant (forgot his name) you meet in a bar likes suave most of all, ... Plenty of people like suave. You want to piss people off in that game you go agressive. Other than Heck & Sie, nobody likes an agressive Thornton.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
This reminds me I haven't played Alpha Protocol yet this year.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

quote:

You want to piss people off in that game you go aggressive.

Unless you want to be able to kill Marburg.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Really part of what made the game fun was figuring out what buttered up / pissed off specific NPCs and acting according to your whims thereafter.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Basic Chunnel posted:

Really part of what made the game fun was figuring out what buttered up / pissed off specific NPCs and acting according to your whims thereafter.

It's arguably the whole point of Alpha Protocol: Thornton is a master manipulator.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's Thorton.

Yeah, when I saw that in the game I thought it must have been a typo but they noticed it after they had recorded like half the VO and just said, gently caress it, we'll just go with it

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

double nine posted:

More like 20-25%: Mina and Scarlett varied on whether she liked it or disliked it

If you're friends with Mina, she'd respond much better to Suave responses. It's one of those cool little things about AP, how everyone doesn't have a one-track personality.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

CommissarMega posted:

If you're friends with Mina, she'd respond much better to Suave responses. It's one of those cool little things about AP, how everyone doesn't have a one-track personality.

I may be totally misremembering this, but I feel like the Suave responses when you were friends with Mina were way less creepy weird than the Suave responses when you weren't friends with her? Though on the other hand, the Suave email responses to every woman in the game were hilariously terrible.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I may be totally misremembering this, but I feel like the Suave responses when you were friends with Mina were way less creepy weird than the Suave responses when you weren't friends with her? Though on the other hand, the Suave email responses to every woman in the game were hilariously terrible.

What I remember is that Mina would just brush away Mike's comments about the attractiveness of a woman if his reputation with her was very high, whereas you would lose points if your standing with her was just average.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hey, sorry for the off topic talk, but is it recommended to skip directly to Mask of the Betrayer for NWN2? I played the main campaign up until around half of act II, and it doesn't seem to pick up (just got the crossroads keep).I'm not a big fan of the combat, so if there are ways to make it go away faster, that'd be great.

VVVVV: Thanks, I think I'll do that, it's all a bit too generic DnD for me (I liked the trial though).

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 15, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Mask is significantly better and you don't really need to go through the OC to enjoy it. So if you're not having fun with the OC, it's totally okay to skip it.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I've never thought starting off with MotB was a good idea, if you jump right in then the combat is off-the-wall crazy for beginners, but if you're already halfway through Act 2 OC and still not feeling it then skipping to MotB should be fine. It's suppose to be the same character but the stories are unrelated.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mask is good but the UI is not particularly suited for epic-level play, especially as a caster. It's just a bad UI in general.

If you've gotten to Crossroads Keep you might as well keep going, you've cleared the slog part of the game and it gets good from there.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What does epic level play mean?

It's just that the story and the characters don't really do anything for me, and I heard MOTB is way better on those points.

Also, I don't really want to manage the Keep :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
NWN2 was mostly fun except for the ending and one of the voices.

It was a little all over the place though...

• Locked thread