Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Rirse posted:

I already hate those commercials for that reason, but it also helps they are a very greedy company who tried to copyright the word candy and used anyone who used the word "Candy" or "Saga" on itunes, including Banner Saga, a fantasy strategy game.

They are capitalizing on the classic match three game with a slight variance. Right down to the core, its just another bejeweled clone. And, I'm with you; there is no Saga. The story behind the games are your basic "match these jewels to save _____ from the evil ______." But, the levels get harder, and that's where the micro transactions come in! That's where the money lies; the first hit is always free.

And the kicker of these cutsey, bubbly commercials? They show them during Law and Order SVU, and other real-life crime shows with graphic dramatizations of murders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

trunkwontopen posted:

They are capitalizing on the classic match three game with a slight variance. Right down to the core, its just another bejeweled clone. And, I'm with you; there is no Saga. The story behind the games are your basic "match these jewels to save _____ from the evil ______." But, the levels get harder, and that's where the micro transactions come in! That's where the money lies; the first hit is always free.

They're designed to let you get an hour or two into them before you feel at all like the micro transactions are needed to progress. It's a really insidious implementation of such systems.

I had Candy Crush on my phone, but deleted it as soon as the bullshit lawsuit started. Thankfully I'd never given them money.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I've heard that after a certain level (like 31 or something) it's impossible to win 9/10 times unless you bother your friends for help or pay money.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rirse posted:

I already hate those commercials for that reason, but it also helps they are a very greedy company who tried to copyright the word candy and used anyone who used the word "Candy" or "Saga" on itunes, including Banner Saga, a fantasy strategy game.

How'd that old bullshit turn out for them anyway? They got laughed out of court like they should have, right?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

trunkwontopen posted:

It's more than just getting harder, since the board is completely randomized every time, it's often straight-up loving impossible to complete the objectives in the number of moves they give you. gently caress King, gently caress their lovely games, and gently caress everyone that plays them and gives them money.

Timett posted:

I've heard that after a certain level (like 31 or something) it's impossible to win 9/10 times unless you bother your friends for help or pay money.

Yeah, that's about right.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

raditts posted:

How'd that old bullshit turn out for them anyway? They got laughed out of court like they should have, right?

I think they withdrew the trademark claim, or at least filed the paperwork to withdraw it, late last month.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

I think they withdrew the trademark claim, or at least filed the paperwork to withdraw it, late last month.

They withdrew it in North America only. They still have it in Europe. They dumped the saga claim altogether.

Supposedly it was targetted at a couple "ripoffs" of their game that showed up on the app store around candy crush's release.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

Supposedly it was targetted at a couple "ripoffs" of their game that showed up on the app store around candy crush's release.

That's some hilarious loving irony right there.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Vanilla Ice and Kraft Macaroni are doing a terrific job in outdoing Geico's Cheesesteak Shuffle in the "This commercial is so aggressively off-putting that it pisses me off though I can't express exactly why without sounding like a crazy person" department.

E:

Grin and Tonic posted:

"It's 2014 and Vanilla Ice is in a Kraft macaroni commercial."

Well, yes, obviously that. But there's something more to it that makes me want to hurt everyone involved. Maybe a combination of the reaction of the mom vs. the reaction of the kid, the question of who they're even advertising to, and that I felt like I got to see it during every other commercial break during NatGeo's "Cosmos" marathon this weekend. (Every OTHER commercial break was that I-Don't-Even-Give-A-poo poo-What-Car-It's-From "Can't Let Go" commercial.)

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 10, 2014

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Rahonavis posted:

Vanilla Ice and Kraft Macaroni are doing a terrific job in outdoing Geico's Cheesesteak Shuffle in the "This commercial is so aggressively off-putting that it pisses me off though I can't express exactly why without sounding like a crazy person" department.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Grin and Tonic posted:

This is the second Vanilla Ice commercial too, as one of the bubblegum ads been using "Ice Ice Baby" for about a year now.

[edit] Have to say, the commercial for Brita over the years have ensure I will never use their products ever. Their ads rotate between "water bottles are destroying the planet, drink our water instead" to "sugar water is making you fat, drink our water instead".

Rirse fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 10, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rirse posted:

[edit] Have to say, the commercial for Brita over the years have ensure I will never use their products ever. Their ads rotate between "water bottles are destroying the planet, drink our water instead" to "sugar water is making you fat, drink our water instead".

That's an odd reason to be mad at advertising, water bottles are wasteful as poo poo.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rirse posted:

...this is bad?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I really hope that drat Geico pig gets a TV show soon so that it can crash and burn and we can finally be rid of the drat thing. It's seriously taking the exact same track of being based on a throwaway joke, then morphing into its own character that gets used in completely unrelated commercials, and eventually into its own entity barely connected to the original skit

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Vicas posted:

I really hope that drat Geico pig gets a TV show soon so that it can crash and burn and we can finally be rid of the drat thing. It's seriously taking the exact same track of being based on a throwaway joke, then morphing into its own character that gets used in completely unrelated commercials, and eventually into its own entity barely connected to the original skit

He should be eaten by the cavemen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

He should be eaten by the cavemen.

While the money watches.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

DJExile posted:

While the money watches.

The money, or the guy on the motorcycle/boat that is made out of money?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if anyone else has seen the commercial for this walnut shell cat litter but something that really bugs me about it is that it looks like they digitally altered the actress in it. Her eyes look way too big.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Chevy decided that the best way to sell a car is to remind you of your dog's mortality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t6bLugtJkQ

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
"Oh poo poo I forgot to write a filet o fish commercial. Uhhhh just do the life aquatic with Steve Zissou with a lovely song" -mcdonalds

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Riptor posted:

"Oh poo poo I forgot to write a filet o fish commercial. Uhhhh just do the life aquatic with Steve Zissou with a lovely song" -mcdonalds

As long as they aren't singing "Give me back that Filet-O-Fish".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Cruncha muncha. I'm not 7 you grassfuckers.

Subway is boycotted for the duration of that promotion.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ayn rand hand job posted:

As long as they aren't singing "Give me back that Filet-O-Fish".

Y'know what? That song was god awful, but to this day, I still remember it. And in the world of TV advertising, that's the main goal: To get people to remember your commercials.

I can't remember any other McDonald's commercials since then. As far as that company goes, all that i've ever retained from watching their ads is the "Two All Beef Patties Special Sauce Lettuce Cheese Pickles Onions On A Sesame Seed Bun".....and the Filet-o-Fish song.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

skooma512 posted:

The first time I heard that commercial, I was walking through a room away from the TV, and I could have sworn they said "Freedom on my sub" instead of "Fritos".

I now want to see Subway create The Freedom Sub.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

skooma512 posted:

Subway has a seemingly endless ad budget, and all of their ads are inane. Made-up nonsense words, stupid jingles, and a long list of B-level sports figures reading copy in a monotonal voice.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I remember give me back my filet o fish but I never bought one, so I don't know what exactly McDonald's accomplished

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

I remember give me back my filet o fish but I never bought one, so I don't know what exactly McDonald's accomplished

Even if you've never gone to McDonalds in your entire life the ad was still a success because it grew the brand. :smuggo:

Someday in the far future they'll have advertising plans in museums, sitting next to alchemic transmutation guides and medical texts about balancing the four humors.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If you've never watched The Pitch- well I don't recommend it, but it did seem to confirm for me that advertising is mostly brand identification padded out with a lot of flimflam.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Urdnot Fire posted:

Chevy decided that the best way to sell a car is to remind you of your dog's mortality:

Christ - is she at the vets having him put to sleep in the beginning?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

meatsaw posted:

Christ - is she at the vets having him put to sleep in the beginning?
Yep, it's Memento with a dog.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

It was made for Chevy's Academy Award film contest so its not a proper Chevy ad they intended to air. It also didn't win the contest which is hilarious given the thing that did win is so boring nobody remembers they saw it.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Gonz posted:

Y'know what? That song was god awful, but to this day, I still remember it. And in the world of TV advertising, that's the main goal: To get people to remember your commercials.

I can't remember any other McDonald's commercials since then. As far as that company goes, all that i've ever retained from watching their ads is the "Two All Beef Patties Special Sauce Lettuce Cheese Pickles Onions On A Sesame Seed Bun".....and the Filet-o-Fish song.

Amplifying your message, McDonald's had a contest a looong time ago, featuring the whole "Two All Beef Patties Special, etc" song. A record came with a meal (yes, record) and it featured a chorus of sorts singing that song. If you had the record where they completed the song, you won the grand prize. I still remember that to this day. Anyone else?

edit: I spell like garbage when I'm ill.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

trunkwontopen posted:

Amplifying your message, McDonald's had a contest a looong time ago, featuring the whole "Two All Beef Patties Special, etc" song. A record came with a meal (yes, record) and it featured a chorus of sorts singing that song. If you had the record where they completed the song, you won the grand prize. I still remember that to this day. Anyone else?

I remember it, it was like a 45 except it was square and barely thicker than a piece of paper. I think they put them in the Sunday paper, too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

I remember it, it was like a 45 except it was square and barely thicker than a piece of paper. I think they put them in the Sunday paper, too.

They sure did, I remember getting one and playing it in my dad's record player. Of course it was one of the ones where they hosed up the song.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Aren't those just called flexies? I had a bunch of them that were in the back of magazines or books or something in the 80s.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So here's a fun one, infomercial giant Kevin Trudeau is facing 10-25 years in federal prison for criminal contempt. He also hasn't paid any of his $37,000,000 fine the FTC hit him with a couple years ago.

:munch:

E:More on it here

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 13, 2014

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Another annoying ad, on the radio this time. I don't know if any other states are doing this, but Colorado has an anti-tobacco campaign going right now. The commercial has a guy named Justin getting dumped by his girlfriend over oropharyngial cancer he doesn't even have. It plays during just about every commercial break. Between Flo 'singing' and this one, it's really annoying.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

rockinricky posted:

Between Flo 'singing' and this one, it's really annoying.

God I hate the progressive commercials on the radio they are all just awful. Shut the hell up about Betsy Ross and her loving bonnet Flo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

skooma512 posted:

I hosed up and caught that song in my head. It's pretty catchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Bugsy posted:

God I hate the progressive commercials on the radio they are all just awful. Shut the hell up about Betsy Ross and her loving bonnet Flo.

Also kazoos should get you banned from radio for a minimum of 3 months