Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Fair Hallion posted:

Boss are missing a trick not selling brand new pedals that look just like this

NEW FOR 2014 - Roland presents the BOSS roadworn relic pedal range.
Now your pedalboard can look like it's been gigging daily since the 90s

pre-worn by a robot foot 10,000 times for that stomped-in tone

Tech21 was all over that poo poo, at least as a feeler:

http://iheartguitarblog.com/2009/01/news-sansamp-20th-anniversary-relic.html

response was generally "lol" tho if you search for "relic guitar pedal" you will find some dumb stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Carrie Brownstein used to use the Super Hard-On pedal in Sleater-Kinney. This hard-on comes in three delightful designs

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'd use #3 without remorse.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Carrie Brownstein is one of my favorite guitarists so I say without shame that I want one of those pedals.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Agreed posted:

response was generally "lol" tho if you search for "relic guitar pedal" you will find some dumb stuff.

gently caress.

does this happen in any other industry? Other than maybe clothes/t-shirts
(I think Converse do a "well worn" shoe range too for $$$)

Is there any other consumer product that the manufacturer makes a beat-to-poo poo faux-jo version?
where is Ford's 2014 top of the range pickup that looks like a 70's redneck deathtrap?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Go over to the denim thread in YLLS and ask about pre-faded jeans.

(Actually don't because Shine will military press my nerd rear end into a trash can)

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Fair Hallion posted:

gently caress.

does this happen in any other industry? Other than maybe clothes/t-shirts
(I think Converse do a "well worn" shoe range too for $$$)

Is there any other consumer product that the manufacturer makes a beat-to-poo poo faux-jo version?
where is Ford's 2014 top of the range pickup that looks like a 70's redneck deathtrap?

Dude, you should see the new car I just ordered, Its got genuine authentic replica seat wear, front wings a steel band could play and patches of primer showing though the paint, it only cost me like 30% more than the stock model.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hog Pog Vox Wah Ocatave Multiplexer
Big Muff Memory Man Boss Chromatic Tuner
Polyphase MicroSynth Frequency Analyzer
Voice Box Electric Mistress Freeze Tube Zipper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ02alEkbLw

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Agreed posted:

I like how there's no wear around the knobs, like this thing has been to hell and back but nobody's ever adjusted any of the settings.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Saw this on craigslist.

Why does this exist?

Jesus Christ.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

hitchensgoespop posted:

Ive got one of those, if you put analogue keyboards through it, it sounds AMAZING.

I agree, even though the DOD Death Metal is more popular for noise, I've always preferred my ol Heavy Metal.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I bought this ugly thing at a pawn shop in LA a few years ago. It sounds just as dumb as it looks.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

tacodaemon posted:

Carrie Brownstein used to use the Super Hard-On pedal in Sleater-Kinney. This hard-on comes in three delightful designs

All three of these own hth

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Carrie Brownstein is one of my favorite guitarists so I say without shame that I want one of those pedals.

They're a really simple build if you want to teach yourself about electronics and they sound Real Good so it's worth the effort (and you can paint whatever you want on there!)

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

Fair Hallion posted:

shockingly noisy, screeching feedback, absolutely no low end so really only good for solos, riffs sounded terrible.

Yet this was my first pedal as a 17yr old playing powerchords who couldn't/wouldn't solo for poo poo

Bought off a bass player from another band for 10quid, I think I still owe him £5 of that.

I resprayed it battleship grey soon after and renamed it "The disturber"

Why yes DOD, neon pink is the colour favoured by thrash metal exponents everywhere. Well done

Holy crap I was about to post this as my first pedal. That thing was loving shrill.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

tacodaemon posted:

I love the Super Hard On and the designs but holy poo poo those are like $170 new and all they are inside is:

2 caps, 2 diodes, 4 resistors, 1 transistor and 1 pot. You could make one of these in like an hour. Maybe I should...

e: non-schematic for the less technically inclined.

Dec 26, 2012

booshi posted:

I love the Super Hard On and the designs but holy poo poo those are like $170 new and all they are inside is:

2 caps, 2 diodes, 4 resistors, 1 transistor and 1 pot. You could make one of these in like an hour. Maybe I should...

deffo considering it if its seriously that easy, that is like $10-20 of materials

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

booshi posted:

You should. Z Vex is mostly about the build quality and the fun graphics rather than the design so if someone put out a cheap SHO (I get lazy about building my own stuff) I'd probably have one on my pedal board.

Also they have the crackle pot but I just don't see much use in it.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

IIRC she used to run the dual outs from the Super Hard-On into her AC30 and Fender Super Reverb until she got tired of lugging two amps around (last time I saw her play was with Wild Flag and she only had the Super Reverb)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Yarbald posted:

I bought this ugly thing at a pawn shop in LA a few years ago. It sounds just as dumb as it looks.

i'll admit i have a soft spot for the 90s dod pedals. the buzz box was a good one too, a cross between the grunge distortion and an mxr blue box, which as its namesake said sounds like a vacuum cleaner

i'm sure there's some boutique rear end in a top hat charging like $300 for a clone of this with some stupid paint job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8BWN6HruXo

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

You should. Z Vex is mostly about the build quality and the fun graphics rather than the design so if someone put out a cheap SHO (I get lazy about building my own stuff) I'd probably have one on my pedal board.

It's a gain pot too. It just says "crackle okay" since it will make a crackling noise if the pedal is engaged when it's on.

I'm drilling enclosures this afternoon for a few projects and have a spare enclosure so I'll prep one for being a SHO. The only thing I don't have is the transistor, maybe (drat I need to organize/keep track of my stock of components). It's basically a Radio Shack project (they have a suitable transistor there but I dunno if they stock reverse log pots).

I'll try putting one together. If it turns out well, maybe I'll sell a few to goons?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Bonzo posted:

So has anyone invested a special mat or rug that you lay your pedals on to get better sound?

i'm pretty sure kevin shields probably has one

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

booshi posted:

It's a gain pot too. It just says "crackle okay" since it will make a crackling noise if the pedal is engaged when it's on.

I'm drilling enclosures this afternoon for a few projects and have a spare enclosure so I'll prep one for being a SHO. The only thing I don't have is the transistor, maybe (drat I need to organize/keep track of my stock of components). It's basically a Radio Shack project (they have a suitable transistor there but I dunno if they stock reverse log pots).

I'll try putting one together. If it turns out well, maybe I'll sell a few to goons?

Oh, I know it's a gain pot, I just don't know why it crackles (besides vintage vibezz I guess?).

Dec 26, 2012

can anyone parse those paragraphs on the picture for me because that poo poo is artifacted beyond belief and i cant make out much

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

e:^^^^^^ If you can read schematics (that was the only image that was less technical that I could find):

Declan MacManus posted:

Oh, I know it's a gain pot, I just don't know why it crackles (besides vintage vibezz I guess?).

Yeah basically. I think it's designed after pots on old recording equipment or something that would crackle when they were turned.

I need to get some materials to put some art on my pedals too. And labeling knobs dumb names but I'm thinking of regardless of the design, if the pedal has a tone knob I'm going to make a huge TONE label.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Harry in Rio posted:

drat. I've honestly wondered how many fuzz pedals he needed to chain together to get that MBV Loveless sound. Some of it is pretty bitchin tbh, but that board is nuts

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Something with how the pot is wired into the circuit. It's hooked up in a different place than it should be to be technically correct.
Take a design flaw and turn it into a feature, the American way!

Dec 26, 2012

booshi posted:

e:^^^^^^ If you can read schematics (that was the only image that was less technical that I could find):

yeah dude that helps tons, thanks. gonna hit up the electronics store this weekend :getin:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tempus Fugit posted:

drat. I've honestly wondered how many fuzz pedals he needed to chain together to get that MBV Loveless sound. Some of it is pretty bitchin tbh, but that board is nuts

I posted this in another thread, but this guy pretty much nails the sound with a couple pedals. Definitely worth watching if you like the Kevin Shields sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrXuvDRSwN8

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harry in Rio posted:

lol i love big rear end pedalboards/chains.

I don't remember where I heard it but one of my favorite quotes is by Anders Bjorler of At The Gates/The Haunted fame on why he doesn't use many effects: "I'm a guitar player, not a balerina."

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Thumposaurus posted:

Something with how the pot is wired into the circuit. It's hooked up in a different place than it should be to be technically correct.
Take a design flaw and turn it into a feature, the American way!

dc on the pot, and I don't mean recent legalization movements ZING :tipshat:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

also, make sure you use a schem with proper protections for the mosfet transistor or it will be subject to croaking, p. sure zvex figured that out and fixed it at some point but crackle is still apparently ok (lol) (don't run DC on the pot for real)

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Snowy posted:

I posted this in another thread, but this guy pretty much nails the sound with a couple pedals. Definitely worth watching if you like the Kevin Shields sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrXuvDRSwN8

:stare:
Thanks man, that's pretty impressive for such a simple setup.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Tempus Fugit posted:

I saw them in concert for that tour and specifically remember him having a giant line of pedals. They were SO loving LOUD. I'm sure part of my current hearing loss is from that concert. My heart and chest felt weird when they'd start and stop playing. Honestly the show was poo poo, just a wall of noise (mostly), and I was a fan. Opened for Dinosaur Jr.

I use the Digitech Valve FX. It has a tube! Does everything and sounds great with my Kramer and a Fender Eighty Five (which is falling apart atm).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgtsJZNUD5Y

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

01011001 posted:

yeah dude that helps tons, thanks. gonna hit up the electronics store this weekend :getin:

If you can't find a BS170 transistor there are a few replacements they are more readily available (2N7000, IRF150). Pots and stomp switches are usually more easily found online, unless your local store is awesome.

Speaking of which, I've never been to a Microcenter before, and just realized they are around here. They stock more stuff than Radioshack?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

What were the dumbest pot names on those '90s DOD pedals? I remember the Grunge pedal had "LOUD", "BUTT", "FACE", and "GRUNGE"

e: Oh wait that was a DigiTech not a DOD wasn't it

e2: Apparently it has been both a DigiTech and a DOD

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 13, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sephardic Homo posted:

lol i love big rear end pedalboards/chains.

I don't remember where I heard it but one of my favorite quotes is by Anders Bjorler of At The Gates/The Haunted fame on why he doesn't use many effects: "I'm a guitar player, not a balerina."

That's almost all drive pedals too

reminder that he also has a fridge setup for rack effects

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

01011001 posted:

if you build it, you should document that poo poo so we can build a whole bunch of SUPER HARD ONS

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

tacodaemon posted:

What were the dumbest pot names on those '90s DOD pedals? I remember the Grunge pedal had "LOUD", "BUTT", "FACE", and "GRUNGE"

e: Oh wait that was a DigiTech not a DOD wasn't it

nah they're the same. harman owns digitech as well

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

reminder that he also has a fridge setup for rack effects

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Harry in Rio posted:

if you build it, you should document that poo poo so we can build a whole bunch of SUPER HARD ONS

One Super Hard-On into two Super Hard-Ons into four Super Hard-Ons into a new Portlandia episode

• Locked thread