Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Phenotype posted:

Are DVR and online viewing being tracked, now? The last time I read about TV ratings, which was quite a few years ago, shows were getting hurt by the fact that a lot of their core audience was moving away from regular scheduled TV.

Yeah, Nielsen's been tracking them for quite a while: those metrics are referred to as Live+3 [Days] and Live+7. Until very recently, DVR numbers meant little for network TV because as far as advertisers were concerned, DVR users could fast forward past commercials entirely(*). But lately even network's been beating the drum for DVR; they know the future's coming and the live audiences are just going to shrink as new ways to catch up on TV become more prevalent. Now, whether they've found a way to monetize those numbers, or they've convinced advertisers that it's worth paying attention to them, that's for a smarter man than me to answer.

(*)Having said that, there's a metric labeled "C3" that tracks Live+3 viewers who don't fast forward through commercials, but I don't often see those published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They've already figured out how to 'adapt' for a viewing audience that's becoming more enamored with DVRing, torrents, and binge-watching entire seasons in large sittings - charging the providers more. It doesn't hurt people who torrent, until the ISPs start clamping down on torrent traffic even harder, the providers get more up front, and the only people who suffer the most are those still paying a monthly cable bill.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That was intense.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Zero One posted:

That was intense.

Seriously. The pure loving MENACE in those scenes was like.. Daaaaaamn.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ronald Regan doesn't care about white people!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Zero One posted:

Ronald Reagan doesn't care about poor people!

Fixed

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Busted.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

You don't think your aunt owns a telephone?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
drat, Phillip has the best 80s father figure type that I've seen on TV in a while.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Is it normal for Russians to always address each other by their full names?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Amazing ending.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Good episode all around. Elizabeth was terrifying with the crowbar.

screenwritersblues posted:

drat, Phillip has the best 80s father figure type that I've seen on TV in a while.
It was even better since he usually swoops in as the cool dad after Elizabeth gets on to Paige. This time, daddy's pissed.

FX is doing an excellent job editing the previews. The one last week made it look like Phillip was on the rooftop with Stan. It faked me out. I was looking forward to that confrontation all week.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

grrarg posted:

Good episode all around. Elizabeth was terrifying with the crowbar.

It was even better since he usually swoops in as the cool dad after Elizabeth gets on to Paige. This time, daddy's pissed.

FX is doing an excellent job editing the previews. The one last week made it look like Phillip was on the rooftop with Stan. It faked me out. I was looking forward to that confrontation all week.

Except the preview begins with a shot of the roof guy's face as he loads his rifle.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Huh, must have walked back into the room after they showed his face. I still think the previews have been good this season.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
That was a cool way to burn a letter.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I like that they've worked in the beginnings of the Kongsberg-Toshiba espionage case into the story. Very nice detail.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It was kinda stretching the suspension of disbelief that a beefy guy who worked in a factory would be that intimidated by a petite woman, crowbar or no. They should have had him be an older, slighter dude or had Elizabeth carrying a gun. Otherwise great episode. Is this available online anywhere legal that doesn't charge?

I'm also really looking forward to when the show reaches the USSR collapsing under it's own weight. So far the KGB had been depicted as pretty unfailingly competent, assassin fuckup excepted, so seeing that support network degrade rapidly and then disappear is gonna be pretty interesting.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 13, 2014

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Im guessing Aunt Helen is a Soviet as well, but what was the deal with her forgetting Paige's name and calling her Shelly? Is she pretending to be senile?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Good episode. Glad to finally have some good music this season!

Pron on VHS posted:

Im guessing Aunt Helen is a Soviet as well, but what was the deal with her forgetting Paige's name and calling her Shelly? Is she pretending to be senile?

Yeah exactly, she was pretending to not recognize Paige in order to avoid explaining anything.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Unrelated, but is St. Goerge looking like the least funny sitcom ever or what?

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Unrelated, but is St. Goerge looking like the least funny sitcom ever or what?

You, shut up. The George Lopez show was hilarious and I bet this will be too!

Also, great ep.

edit: Please go away, Paige. Please.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Pron on VHS posted:

That was a cool way to burn a letter.

Going by this and the movie The Good Shepherd, that seems to be the official spy method of burning letters.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

JohnSherman posted:

Is it normal for Russians to always address each other by their full names?

In the residence they are calling each other by first name and patronymic (ex. Nina Sergeevna (Nina daughter-of-Sergey), Oleg Igorevich (son-of-Igor) which is just addressing coworkers and non-close friends/acquaintances with routine respect.

Passive-aggressive poo poo is going to get real if/when Oleg starts overstepping social bounds and calling his superiors, or even Nina, by more familiar terms or even by nicknames. His character seems like the sort of jackass that would do that to push buttons. :allears: Oh, Oleg. I wanna see Nina destroy you.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Hand of the King posted:

You, shut up. The George Lopez show was hilarious and I bet this will be too!

Also, great ep.

edit: Please go away, Paige. Please.

I like Paige, I think its interesting that she's figuring things out.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Can someone give me a Cliff Notes version of this episode? My loving DVR decided not to record it last night for some reason.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Gonz posted:

Can someone give me a Cliff Notes version of this episode? My loving DVR decided not to record it last night for some reason.

Paige starts putting things together,

Flashbacks.

FBI tells Nina he loves her. She reports back to Moscow.

Felicity checks up on orphaned Russian boy in his foster home. All seems well.

Paige gets in trouble for visiting a relative.

What am I missing?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Propaganda Machine posted:

What am I missing?

Henry's cheap star wheel was a piece of poo poo.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I like that they've worked in the beginnings of the Kongsberg-Toshiba espionage case into the story. Very nice detail.

It's neat they're going for something like that as a plot device rather than SDI. Late Soviet computer systems are kinda interesting because of CoCom forcing them to half reverse engineer what they could steal and half come up with stuff on their own.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 13, 2014

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

comes along bort posted:

It's neat they're going for something like that as a plot device rather than SDI. Late Soviet computer systems are kinda interesting because of CoCom forcing them to half reverse engineer what they could steal and half come up with stuff on their own.

Agreed. It's subtle, and shows that the writers/producers did a little more than surface research.

e: I enjoy the personal computer clones they produced.

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 13, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Paige starts putting things together,

Flashbacks.

FBI tells Nina he loves her. She reports back to Moscow.

Paige gets in trouble for visiting a relative.

What am I missing?

You forgot Stan shooting the "walk in" from the previous episode and Elizabeth scaring the poo poo out of that poor shmoe in the propeller factory

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

She decided that if Paige and Henry were orphaned by her and Phillip dying, she would want them to keep their ignorance that their parents were Russian spies. That's why she burned OtherRussianSpyCouple's kid's letter despite promising to deliver it.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I thought Philip was going to smack the poo poo out of Paige when she was talking back. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys do an impressive job being very scary and intimidating when needed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
His response to Paige's story about having to prep for a debate club tryout was the perfect level of sarcasm.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wukkar posted:

She decided that if Paige and Henry were orphaned by her and Phillip dying, she would want them to keep their ignorance that their parents were Russian spies. That's why she burned OtherRussianSpyCouple's kid's letter despite promising to deliver it.

I don't think that's the only reason. If she gave the kid that letter it would cause a huge clusterfuck, no matter how she feels about Paige and Henry.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Was Aunt Helen introduced or referred to in season 1 and I've forgotten? I can't remember if season 1 featured any scenes that had the parents talking to the kids about their extended families, or lack of them.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

savinhill posted:

Was Aunt Helen introduced or referred to in season 1 and I've forgotten? I can't remember if season 1 featured any scenes that had the parents talking to the kids about their extended families, or lack of them.

She was mentioned towards the end of the last episode of season 1 as an aunt that Elizabeth was supposedly visiting (but really she was recovering from her gunshot wound).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Wait, so did the murdered spy family keep the letter explaining everything in their house? Also kung-fu master or not, Felicity intimidating that guy with a crowbar was quite optimistic.

Otherwise that was a quite good episode, though compared to the first one, it feels like barely anything is happening. The walk-in resolution in particular felt a bit disappointing, thought maybe they'll manage to make something more out of it later.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn how good was that episode?

The whole thing was tense as gently caress. Factory guy intimidation was incredible acting.

Appreciated how after Philip did his Bad Cop routine on Paige, he gave that look over his shoulder to let us know he hated having to be that harsh with her. Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell deserve all the awards.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that Paige's new friend was KGB (when Philip said the kids would have people "on them" and that they wouldn't be able to tell who they were, etc).

And I take it back, New Guy at KGB HQ is growing on me. I don't know if he'll end up being a goofy America-lover or if he's trying to spy on her for his dad, but either way, he was fun in his scene this week.

Feel so bad for Stan though, he's getting played so hard and obviously still has feelings for his wife (and vice versa) so it's going to really suck when the poo poo hits the propeller.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I thought that episode was lame. I don't give a gently caress about Paige or her uncovering stuff at all. Same with them dealing with "what if we die who will look after our kids" stuff. And Felicity intimidating that guy with the crowbar was loving laughable and bad. She should've had a gun. I mean there was nothing stopping that guy from just walking out of the room when she just first picked it up and he was asking her questions.

The best part of the episode was that guy yelling Ronald Reagan doesn't care.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean there was nothing stopping that guy from just walking out of the room when she just first picked it up and he was asking her questions.

The other thing is, I am sure they were pretty deep into the facility. Once they left the room he could have easily notified someone and had them apprehended, then took the picture of his son back.

I feel this is all just nit-picking though, I loved this episode and the whole series so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mobby_6kl posted:

Otherwise that was a quite good episode, though compared to the first one, it feels like barely anything is happening. The walk-in resolution in particular felt a bit disappointing, thought maybe they'll manage to make something more out of it later.

The walk-in was used by the KGB to prop up Stan's career and get him in deeper with Nina. It was excellent chess by Arkady.

• Locked thread