Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

sassassin posted:

I was a bit miffed to find out story progression required doing group dungeons at first because I'm not into the whole "teamwork" or "interaction" mumbo-jumbo either, but the duty finder is as hands-off as can be, everyone has pre-set roles within the party so there's no need for communication (unless someone's doing everything wrong) and the first 4/5 I've done aren't very long (and if you select Join in Progress Party you can sometimes luck out and skip right near the boss and get a completion).

You can still have fun without joining a Free Company or having anything resembling a social life in-game.

The duties and dungeons are absolutely worth the wait, even if you're more of a solo player. Not only is the first time EXP tops, I enjoyed them more, and the overall leveling experience, than any other similar MMO.

Never joined a free company, played with a few friends, had a blast. GCD throws you off at first, coming from a warcraft background, but it's fine once you're used to it. And the endgame is obviously lacking. But the game is worth it if only to level. I look forward to seeing how they address that, and the currency issue (More being taken out than put in currently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Tidus looks high as gently caress in the HD version of FF10.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Attitude Indicator posted:

Tidus looks high as gently caress in the HD version of FF10.

The ideal state of mind to enjoy Final Fantasy the Tenth.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's possible to enjoy FFX?

Acutally, I enjoy that FFX lpix link posted a couple of pages back very much, and thank Square-Enix for making it possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aurain posted:

It's possible to enjoy FFX?

Acutally, I enjoy that FFX lpix link posted a couple of pages back very much, and thank Square-Enix for making it possible.

I think its definitely one of the better entries in the franchise. Its also got one of the better plots and one of the few for whom the idea of it being a Final Fantasy is actually true.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
FFX owns. Sadly, it's also the worst game in the series.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I'm in the middle of replaying all the Final Fantasy games and about to start FF5. I saw mention in this thread of FF6 Brave New World, and FF12 ZJS english patch, both of which seem good and I'm going to try them out when I get to those games. Are there any mods for 5 or the other ones that are good? I see there's a custom classes mod for 5 that looks interesting, anyone tried it?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

VegasShirtGuy posted:

I'm in the middle of replaying all the Final Fantasy games and about to start FF5. I saw mention in this thread of FF6 Brave New World, and FF12 ZJS english patch, both of which seem good and I'm going to try them out when I get to those games. Are there any mods for 5 or the other ones that are good? I see there's a custom classes mod for 5 that looks interesting, anyone tried it?

The game boy advance version is the best version of the game due to its superior translation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VegasShirtGuy posted:

I wouldn't modify FF5, the advanced/mobile version is absolutely fine and delivers exactly the proper experience. FF6:BNW is in my opinion a good mod only if you've already played FF6 and want to make a very easy game marginally harder (and not in ways I particularly care for). FF12: IZJS should be mandatory and if you play vanilla you are a fool.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

VegasShirtGuy posted:

FF12 ZJS english patch

I'm playing through this right now. I absolutely love the art direction and world in general but the gameplay's kind of boring and grindy, like a bad MMORPG.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
EDIT: ^^^^ it's an MMO with a speed-up button, man!

I tried the custom classes mod. It's interesting in that it switches a few things around (for example, you get Dragoon with the first batch of jobs so you can have a Black Mage with Lancet which finally gives it a use) and you now have to train Thief instead of Ninja to get dual wield etc., but overall, I wouldn't call it a better experience than the original. FFV Advance is pretty much perfect, there really isn't much need to rebalance anything imho so it doesn't really profit from the mod.

If you have already played the GBA version, then by all means give the mod a try just because it's different, it's just not necessarily better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doflamingo posted:

I'm playing through this right now. I absolutely love the art direction and world in general but the gameplay's kind of boring and grindy, like a bad MMORPG.

If that fast forward button isn't making it work, FF12 will never click with you. The reason I couldn't ever finish Vanilla is because it had an abysmal slogging pace to everything but the IZJS speed up made me able to enjoy fights because trash mobs were the blip they should be and bosses were the "are your gambits set up properly" choke points.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
The best FF5 mod is the one for the GBA ROM that adds the SNES music. The GBA version is the best version, but the music quality on the GBA is a bit of a downgrade. Someone added in the SNES soundtrack, making it the true best version.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

What about mods for 7, 8, 9 or X also?

Barudak posted:

I wouldn't modify FF5, the advanced/mobile version is absolutely fine and delivers exactly the proper experience.

Simply Simon posted:

If you have already played the GBA version, then by all means give the mod a try just because it's different, it's just not necessarily better.

I've only played FF5 once before, and it was the PSX version on the Anthology. I don't remember much about it. Sounds like sticking with the GBA version is my best bet.

Barudak posted:

FF6:BNW is in my opinion a good mod only if you've already played FF6 and want to make a very easy game marginally harder (and not in ways I particularly care for).

I've played 6 a bunch of times, so I am looking for a different experience on it. I like the idea of limiting espers, since my usual playthroughs involve just having everybody learn every spell.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

VegasShirtGuy posted:

I've only played FF5 once before, and it was the PSX version on the Anthology. I don't remember much about it. Sounds like sticking with the GBA version is my best bet.

I've played 6 a bunch of times, so I am looking for a different experience on it. I like the idea of limiting espers, since my usual playthroughs involve just having everybody learn every spell.
I had Final Fantasy Anthology when I was, what, 10? All I remember about it is:

A)Never actually playing Final Fantasy 6 because I thought I should beat FF5 first and
B)Ten year old me thought the dancer scene was incredibly naughty. The innocence of youth...

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
e: nevermind

Excels fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 13, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can download a mod to fix that, though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah I guess if you know how to mod then there are a bunch of PC mods you could add, like the one that makes them look like people instead of legos.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite FF7 mod, which I don't think is released yet, is the one that re-translates it to be faithful to the original. I believe it offers an option to replace Cait Sith with a self insert because CS is dumb. That is kind of true, but I love the whole "we need accuracy in this thing, but bits I dislike? meh" part of that.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Aurain posted:

My favourite FF7 mod, which I don't think is released yet, is the one that re-translates it to be faithful to the original. I believe it offers an option to replace Cait Sith with a self insert because CS is dumb. That is kind of true, but I love the whole "we need accuracy in this thing, but bits I dislike? meh" part of that.

Self-insert of what, the player? Does it replace the catmoogle entirely? Does this "insert" still use Microphones?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Aurain posted:

Isn't that the one with the copious swearing in basically every other line? Or the stupid honorifics everywhere? Or randomly untranslated words?

Wait, poo poo, that's every dumb weeb "faithful retranslation" ever isn't it?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

S-Alpha posted:

Isn't that the one with the copious swearing in basically every other line? Or the stupid honorifics everywhere? Or randomly untranslated words?

They probably left the "meme" dialogue intact, like "This guy are sick"

e: if they changed Cid's comical bleeped swears though that's a cardinal sin.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Endorph posted:

That mod has been made official and the Steam version is downloaded with it installed IIRC. The original PC version of FFVII was a pile of garbage, but the 2012 version is really good.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

That mod has been made official and the Steam version is downloaded with it installed IIRC. The original PC version of FFVII was a pile of garbage, but the 2012 version is really good.

And it has a cash shop! And cheevos! I'm surprised they didn't go a step further and have a PC-exclusive Cloud/Sephiroth gold saucer date :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Excels posted:

They probably left the "meme" dialogue intact, like "This guy are sick"

If I were doing a edited translation of FF7 I would totally go out of my way to leave as much of the famous lines in verbatim but in contexts in which they are correct.

"People like this guy are sick, but no-one's doing anything to help..."

...or something. I forget the finer details of that important scene.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The scene itself feels like it was only half-finished. Presumably you were supposed to get medicine for that guy in Wall Market and then come back. They even mention that he has a number tattoo (meaning he was a failed Sephiroth clone like Cloud).

e: it would be kind of funny if you saw that guy later at the Reunion

Excels fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 13, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Excels posted:

Self-insert of what, the player? Does it replace the catmoogle entirely? Does this "insert" still use Microphones?

I can't remember what the author self-insert uses, but he's a human with a loosely related biblical name.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Excels posted:

The scene itself feels like it was only half-finished. Presumably you were supposed to get medicine for that guy in Wall Market and then come back. They even mention that he has a number tattoo (meaning he was a failed Sephiroth clone like Cloud).

e: it would be kind of funny if you saw that guy later at the Reunion

I'm pretty certain its implied he did since I think if you go back to wall market once you have the key he's gone.

Either way, the only reason that scene exists is to give you a shitload of foreshadowing you don't understand at the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

Eh, there are some 'faithful retranslations' that are good. Like the one for Breath of Fire 2, or one of the seventeen thousand for Tales of Phantasia.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

Eh, there are some 'faithful retranslations' that are good. Like the one for Breath of Fire 2, or one of the seventeen thousand for Tales of Phantasia.

I am not sure it was possible to make BoF2's translation worse than the original.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

derra posted:

I am not sure it was possible to make BoF2's translation worse than the original.
Or make GBA Phantasia's translation worse. The Kangaroo War.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
My favourite VII mod is the one that makes everything look like Advent Children and lets you play the game on your PS3. Sadly, I don't think it'll ever be released by now.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

I think its definitely one of the better entries in the franchise. Its also got one of the better plots and one of the few for whom the idea of it being a Final Fantasy is actually true.

FFX is only edged out in my mind as the best FF* by 12, and only then because 12 just has so much stuff to do and the real-time psuedo-tactical combat is really nice. I think the plot in X is a lot better than 12; 12's plot is okay, but it really seems to lack any kind of momentum or urgency. As someone else mentioned, the plot of 12 is really being driven by all the people not in your party. So it kind of just feels like you're wandering around until suddenly it's the end of the game. FFX has a much more focused plot, which also does some really interesting world building in the process. Plus I much prefer the turn-based combat to the ATB combat most FF games have. If I can't have combat integrated with exploration like in 12, then X's system is my preferred second choice. Plus I think X is one of the only games in the series where debuffs are actually really useful. Poison is devastating rather than a kind of mild annoyance!

*Of the main series anyway. If we're counting spinoffs then Tactics wins best FF no contest.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I like 10 because it does a lot of neat twists and then change expectations on those twists I.E. revealing your father is the big bad is the ultimate reveal in most games, but casually dropped in and then the character deals with this information.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

I like 10 because it does a lot of neat twists and then change expectations on those twists I.E. revealing your father is the big bad is the ultimate reveal in most games, but casually dropped in and then the character deals with this information.

I really dug that the "Gonna be king of death mountain because my feelings got hurt" was a side-foe in the game and that the ultimate enemy was the consequence of M.A.D.

That and having a character who withholds information being seen doing it very selectively among the group and over cluing in the player versus other characters when it was necessary.

FFX is real good, yall.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The ideal state of mind to enjoy Final Fantasy the Tenth.
In my experience, this is not limited to FF10, or even Final Fantasy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Barudak posted:

I really dug that the "Gonna be king of death mountain because my feelings got hurt" was a side-foe in the game and that the ultimate enemy was the consequence of M.A.D.

Also the fact that the Church was ~evil~ not because they were lying to the faithful or anything, they were just a wackass death cult with a fringe sect that took it a bit too far.

The fact the religion was based off lies was a secondary curveball, instead.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, I'm going from 1 to 9 right now, because those are the ones I have, but God drat, do 2 and 3 feel like a total slog to anyone else? I just think they should be over faster. The whole Crystal Tower/Eureka segment where they decide to cut off your access to MP restoration unless you go back through the maze is some grade A bullshit in particular. Maybe I'm just looking forward to 4/5/6 a lot, because they're my favorites.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

2 and 3 are complete slogs, especially if you're playing the NES version of 2 or the DS version of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

So, I'm going from 1 to 9 right now, because those are the ones I have, but God drat, do 2 and 3 feel like a total slog to anyone else? I just think they should be over faster. The whole Crystal Tower/Eureka segment where they decide to cut off your access to MP restoration unless you go back through the maze is some grade A bullshit in particular. Maybe I'm just looking forward to 4/5/6 a lot, because they're my favorites.

I couldn't play III DS, it was just too slow for me. Everything took too long, the first ten minutes of the game feel like an hour.