Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ynglaur posted:

Why do people dislike Bose? Is it the quality itself, or just the quality at their price point? Is there another IEM that sits outside of the ear similar to the IE2, but with a better sound or mic quality?

Because you're supposed to hate Bose. Duh. I also think a lot of it comes from the fact their home theater systems are bullshit.

While I have no experience with the IE2; I think it's mostly a price-point thing. I have QC15's and loving love them. They're really comfortable, sound pretty drat awesome, and the noise canceling is tits for commuting/flying. That being said, I got them for free, I don't know if I could stomach $350 or whatever the MSRP is. I'd probably do $200 for them, which is still a lot, but y'know. Also they look like $15 JVC headphones from the grocery store. The more I talk about it the more there is to dislike, but I still like them. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the hate has to do with them having such a positive brand perception in the general population when a lot of their stuff isn't particularly/at all good for the price. Their noise canceling is arguably better than anyone else's though, and they generally get good reviews from people who have experience with higher end headphones. If you're often in environments with constant noise (planes, trains, places with noisy air handling) the QC15 and QC20 are really good options.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Okay so I have tried the following headphones over the past few days and here are my pro/cons about the three I've tried:

Shure RE215
Pro
GREAT sound, and liked by both me and the wife.
Inline controls felt well made, not chintzy.

Con
REALLY hurt my ears with having the driver in my ear
Bass seems a bit lacking without using my FiiO E17

Sony XBA4-i
Pro
Comfortable fit, even if a bit large
Long cable

Con
All four of the drivers seemed to be just thrown together and not well meshed
Inline controls feel cheap

Torque t170z
Pro
Interesting concept with changable filters
Flat cable, tangle free.

Con
Filters are either muddy, bland, or too bright (Yellow, Red, and Black respectively)
After changing the filter about 10 times, the rubber around the driver is already bending and sliding around.

That being said, am I just being a picky snob when it comes to my headphones? (Keep in mind, my last pair was a set of Sennheiser CX-985 which appear to be universally panned, but I didn't think they were bad until I heard the Shures.) I'm looking to spend around $200 and my preferred route is to go through B&H, since it's a no-hassle 30 day return policy and on the way to/from work. Main source is my iPhone 5S / FiiO E17 if needed. I would LIKE to have inline controls, but it's by all means not a deal breaker since the CX-985s didn't have them.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a durable pair of headphones in the price range of $75 - $125

I recently did some sound mixing and used a beat-to-poo poo pair of Sony MDR-7506's which had a great stage but definitely lacked bass. The flaking pleather and wonderfully clear sound made an impression on me.

B&H suggested the Senal SMH-1000, which looks nice, but I'm not crazy about detachable cables in most cases. I like them secured by a screw or something more reliable than a twist.

FYI, I'm not very knowledgeable with headphone brands and their associated quality.

I'll be using them for music off of my cellphone, field recording, and on a computer for editing.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I think that you're the first person to ever complain about a headphone having removable cables. I can't think of one argument that would cause me to be against them. Any recommendation I have for you also has detachable cables so there's not much I can do to help.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
:haw: I'm inexperienced, and totally untrustworthy of detachable parts.

But I'd totally take your suggestions at face value and seriously consider them. So please, what do you think would work for me?

Edit: I just think that a detachable cable is a feature, and that at my price-point, a feature like that is going to be taking away from another facet of the headphones.

I'm currently using a pair of ATH-M20's, which have nearly zero isolation and are otherwise great. They came bundled with my field recorder, and while I appreciate the ability to hear the subway conductor clearly while listening to my music, the novelty has worn off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 14, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Cables are the most likely part on a headphone to fail, being able to replace them without any hard work potentially saves a lot of money down the line. As for my recommendation, NVX XPT100 or Brainwavz HM5, whichever is cheaper.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
The NVX is on sale for $80 on Amazon, which seems like a really great deal.

Is there anything you can prescribe that is a tad more compact?

If not, I'll hop on this deal while it's hot. Thanks again!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

P.N.T.M. posted:

The NVX is on sale for $80 on Amazon, which seems like a really great deal.

Is there anything you can prescribe that is a tad more compact?

If not, I'll hop on this deal while it's hot. Thanks again!

KRK KNS6400 or 8400, IIRC they fold up. Great sound too.

Koosh Koosh
Dec 9, 2004

GET OUT OF MY PROGRAMME, SAD MAN
I think that I've reached "end game" for the foreseeable future.

- ATH-AD900X (Open)
- ATH-A900X (Closed)
- Magni (Amp)
- Modi (Dac)

Very pleased with this assortment. I'm glad that I gave the AD900X another chance after being delivered dead-on-arrival the first time around. I did give the HD-598 a go, but they sounded so flat and lifeless. Also lacking any sort of bass at all. And this is from a former AD700 user. :v:

Koosh Koosh fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 15, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Koosh Koosh posted:

I think that I've reached "end game" for the foreseeable future.

- ATH-AD900X (Open)
- ATH-A900X (Closed)
- Magni (Amp)
- Modi (Dac)

Very pleased with this assortment. I'm glad that I gave the AD900X another chance after being delivered dead-on-arrival the first time around. I did give the HD-598 a go, but they sounded so flat and lifeless. Also lacking any sort of bass at all. And this is from a former AD700 user. :v:

Wait til you hear the Ad2000 ;)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm currently using Bose IE2's with my iPhone 4s, and really need an inline mute. Hitting power, waiting for the fade-in, sliding, and then hitting the mute/unmute button takes too long for a fast-moving conference call.

1. Is there a device that could provide an in-line mute using this headset?
2. If not, can I get recommendations for a similar headset?

Budget: Around $100 USD
Source: iPhone 4s, laptop (hopefully a Nokia Windows Phone soon)
Isolation Requirements: No. I like to be able to hear the environment around me, and hear my own voice when speaking.
Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM, though nothing in the ear canal itself
Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced, though a bit bass-heavy is fine
Past Headphones:
  • Astro A40 - My current desk headset. Good balance, great mic. I don't like the cloth earpads.
  • Bose QC3 - Loved them in terms of sound. Couldn't find a decent mic for them.
  • Steelseries 7H - Great sound, decent mic. I didn't like the fact that the cloth cord makes a noise you can easily hear through the headset itself.
  • Bose IE2 - Most comfortable IEMs I've used. Good mic. Good sound balance.
  • Klipsch S4i - Uncomfortable wear; didn't like the sound of my voice when I was speaking. Great sound quality. Terrible mic: picked up every bit of surrounding noise.
  • The stock earbuds for iPhones - Not particularly comfortable or uncomfortable. Sound is meh. Mic is decent.
Preferred Music: Prog rock, heavy metal, alternative, some classical

A noise-cancelling mic is a hard requirement.

Fake edit: If anyone wants to purchase a Steelseries 7H, let me know (though see comment above).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Does the iPhone 4 not automatically stop the music during a call?

Edit: I think I read this wrong. You want a headset that can mute your voice with the touch of a button?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I bought, on recommendation from a friend, Urbanears Plattan Headphones. I've been using some old skullcandy in-earphones for a while.

Are these notoriously bad? They're £50 RRp I got them new for £30. They just seem to be weak, little to no bass, and I can hear a lot of outside noise.

Used them on a nexus 5. Going to run some tests with other things but just wanted to know if there is any bad rep for these. They just are distinctly underwhelming and I'll return them this week unless there's a fix.

E: by 'weak' I mean on anything less than 90-100% volume they're underwhelming as hell

Double edit:seems after some tests on other devices and my computer it's probably my nexus 5.

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 18, 2014

Koosh Koosh
Dec 9, 2004

Midorka posted:

Wait til you hear the Ad2000 ;)

Maybe after I've made some more important/legitimate purchases in my life first. :v: I'm wary of any ATH-ADs beyond 900 because of the flat drivers, as opposed to the angled ones. Worried that they'll be a bit too intimate and lose some of the sound stage of the earlier models. Have you found this to be the case, or do they pad the ear pads enough for it to be about the same or better? Also the AD2000s will be hard to find new, right?

I will say though, it'd be nice to upgrade a few models to get away from the quite cheap build of the AD900X. The one flaw it has, to be honest. One day.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Koosh Koosh posted:

Maybe after I've made some more important/legitimate purchases in my life first. :v: I'm wary of any ATH-ADs beyond 900 because of the flat drivers, as opposed to the angled ones. Worried that they'll be a bit too intimate and lose some of the sound stage of the earlier models. Have you found this to be the case, or do they pad the ear pads enough for it to be about the same or better? Also the AD2000s will be hard to find new, right?

I will say though, it'd be nice to upgrade a few models to get away from the quite cheap build of the AD900X. The one flaw it has, to be honest. One day.

Going from the Ad900 to the Ad2000, mind you I'm not talking about the X, I found that the soundstage decreased slightly going from the Ad700 to the Ad900, and again to the Ad2000. What I was left with was an entirely different beast that compliments the Ad900 perfectly. The Ad2000 is closer to the A900x than the Ad900.

As for the build of the Ad900x, I've never used them, but I found the Ad900 built nicely. I wonder how the Ad900x is built in comparison.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Midorka posted:

Going from the Ad900 to the Ad2000, mind you I'm not talking about the X, I found that the soundstage decreased slightly going from the Ad700 to the Ad900, and again to the Ad2000. What I was left with was an entirely different beast that compliments the Ad900 perfectly. The Ad2000 is closer to the A900x than the Ad900.

As for the build of the Ad900x, I've never used them, but I found the Ad900 built nicely. I wonder how the Ad900x is built in comparison.

They're lighter, use less material for the 3D wings, and the band is a bit more resilient. The pads are different, instead of the old ones, they use a strange sorta plasticine-coated foam.

Koosh Koosh
Dec 9, 2004

Midorka posted:

Okay, here's my build comparison, as I have both the AD700 (which are basically retired now, but still work perfectly) and the AD900X. The AD700 are made in Taiwan, have much more solid build, weighty aluminum cups, a metal plug, and a rubber cable that feels well made. The 3D wings also work perfectly without modification. The AD900X are made in China, feel like the overall build is made of plastic, the cups are a much lighter metal, have a rubber plug and a nasty rubber cable, which stays coiled for a long time after opening the box. The 3D wings on the AD900X are basically useless, and I needed to do the rubber band mod on them for them not give me a headache.

The sound quality though? Much better and makes up for all that. After all, these things are for listening. Would still recommend the AD900X to anyone, despite all the above issues. Of course, I wish they'd made them in Japan with nicer materials, like their closed brother.

Edit: Beaten by WugLyfe, but yeah, the AD900X don't use the velour pads. I think I actually prefer the AD900X pads though, as the velour on the AD700 did chafe my ears after a few hours.

Koosh Koosh fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 18, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Jesus you think the Ad700 feel better built than the Ad900x? That's a real drat shame as the Ad900 was a huge step up from the Ad700. No more squeaking, no cheap plastic. All magnesium and solid build. I saw that they changed the plug from metal to rubber/plastic, drat shame.

Koosh Koosh
Dec 9, 2004

You get over it quickly. And there is also no squeaking with the AD900X, which is a huge plus. As I say, once it's on my head, I don't really care... but you are giving me AD900 envy now, with that description! I suspect it'd be an upgrade in every way, except for the sound quality.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Looking at new dac/amp for a set of 600ohm DT880s primarily used for home listening all types of music.

In the running

O2 combo (have this at work and love it, would like something a little different but it's a really solid combo)
Schiit Vali/Modi
Mavericks D1 Plus

Opinions?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Hoping this thread covers bluetooth headphones as well.

I'm looking for a bluetooth headset with a mic that I can use for both music and calls. I travel for work and prefer IEMs to keep both airplane engine noise and office chatter down a bit while I listen to my slow jams. I'm not an audiophile, so spectacular sound really isn't an issue with me. I also have at least one conference call a day, so it is important that people are actually able to hear me talk. Durability would be nice, as well. Traveling is hell on poorly constructed electronics. But at the same time, I'd like to spend less than 120 bucks. There's also a decent chance I am going to exercise with them on.

I am using Adidas OCX 685i Sennheiser Sports Earphones right now, and I love them. I'm just ready to cut the cord.

So far, Avantree Sacool Bluetooth Stereo Headset with Mic looks like what I want. But I don't trust the reviews completely since it looks like people get paid for them. Anyone have any better recommendations?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

After 4 months with the HD 650, I can confidently say these are the only full size headphone I'll own for 5 to 10 years.

After 6 months with the Sony MH1c, I'm happy with the sound quality but they leave something to be desired - the flat cables can sometimes be annoying, and microphonics are annoying as usual. Not sure there's a good solution for this though.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
My Bose QC15s sound like absolute dogshit now. Basically ruined. Thanks guys. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beergod posted:

My Bose QC15s sound like absolute dogshit now. Basically ruined. Thanks guys. :(
You were a dogshit consumer for buying them in the first place :colbert:

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
But Bose sounds so german

Edit: it is all tinny and trebly. I'm never leaving home without my amp and 650s again, I don't deserve this

beergod fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 20, 2014

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I've got a transatlantic flight coming up. In the past I've worn my Shure 215s but I get pretty bad ear fatigue after a while (they get uncomfortable ) and they're a pain in the rear end to put in properly when I constantly need to pull them out to hear announcements, my wife, etc.

I'm leaning towards the bose qc20s because everywhere online says they're super comfortable and attenuate alot of noise. However 300 is alot and wanted to see if there were other options. What do you guys use for long trips?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Comparing HD650s to QC15s is like comparing locally roasted press coffee from a small cafe to Starbucks. One is expensive because of the time and effort that went into making the product. The other is expensive because of branding.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm leaning towards the bose qc20s because everywhere online says they're super comfortable and attenuate alot of noise. However 300 is alot and wanted to see if there were other options. What do you guys use for long trips?

Long flights are one situation where the QC20 will really shine. I like my Etymotic HF3's with custom sleeves for long wear in noisy environments, but they're not much less than $300. IEM's are great for isolation but I don't find them comfortable for more than an hour or so if they aren't custom molded.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm looking for some dirt cheap earbuds. I'm obviously not expecting great sound, and they'll be used for podcasts so that's fine. They will probably be destroyed fairly fast so I'm going to buy a few pairs.

Hopefully they would be reasonably sturdy, that's the main thing as I will be using them while working and jamming them in my pockets all the time. Super thin cords are the norm for cheapie earbuds but I'm hoping there's something out there I'm missing.

Anyone know of a good option?

e- just saw these bad boys on dx.com:

double edit- don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for space horns coming out of my ears, but retarded colors are fine.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 21, 2014

hellzno
Jan 15, 2008

Primo

beergod posted:

I still love mine! Despite the so-so sound, its comfortable as hell.

Please help me find my perfect set of headphones. Was looking at the Sony XBA4IP ($250 on Amazon) but was wondering if there was anything better / cheaper / etc.

Budget: Pretty flexible (preferably <$300)
Source: iPhone 5, laptop
Isolation Requirements: Yes (though I don't need Eytmotic-level isolation)
Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance: Slightly bassy
Past Headphones (in order of preference):
1a. Monster Miles Davis Tribute - absolute butter
1b. Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10
2. Etymotic HF5
3. Etymotic 6i
4. Bose QC15 (shut up I love these headphones)
5. Bose IE2i - great for running
Preferred Music: Jazz, funk, Hip-Hop, R&B
Other: Needs to have in-line remote / mic for iPhones

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Snowy posted:

I'm looking for some dirt cheap earbuds. I'm obviously not expecting great sound, and they'll be used for podcasts so that's fine. They will probably be destroyed fairly fast so I'm going to buy a few pairs.

Hopefully they would be reasonably sturdy, that's the main thing as I will be using them while working and jamming them in my pockets all the time. Super thin cords are the norm for cheapie earbuds but I'm hoping there's something out there I'm missing.

Anyone know of a good option?

e- just saw these bad boys on dx.com:

double edit- don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for space horns coming out of my ears, but retarded colors are fine.

Philips SHE3590

Under $10, available drat near anywhere and actually sound really, really good.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Does anyone have a good comparison between the Astro Mixamp and the Asus Xonar U3? I love the effect of Dolby Headphone (especially for multi-hour conference calls), but the Mixamp is quite bulky.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Hi, I've been interested in a new pair of headphones for use with an MP3 player (sandisk) and to use with my computer when I play games or listen to music from there.

Budget - I guess max is between 60-70USD?
Source - MP3 player sandisk and desktop computer.
Isolation Requirements - I don't need this.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Regular over the head headphones with those comfy pads, I think.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't know, I'm not too picky.
Past Headphones - The only headphones I've really had are the Sony behind the head headphones. They're okay for working out and jogging but otherwise, they hurt my ears after a while.
Preferred Music - I listen to stuff like rock, metal, classical music, soft alternative music. I guess if band names are needed, stuff like the Doors, Pink Floyd, Pendulum, Nine Inch Nails, and whatever various one hit wonders oldies, including classical music of course.

Sorry if that wasn't very helpful. :(

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

beergod posted:

But Bose sounds so german

Edit: it is all tinny and trebly. I'm never leaving home without my amp and 650s again, I don't deserve this

You wear 650s in public? That's basically like walking around with a ghetto-blaster.

Also, you're saying QC15s are tinny? They may not be the most detailed bastards on earth, but they sure as poo poo aren't tinny.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
After two years spent with my AD700s I wanted to see what the next tier of headphones was like and pulled the trigger on a pair of Fidelio X1s. These things are like a revelation, I think at some point I forgot what bass even was.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Equilibrium posted:

After two years spent with my AD700s I wanted to see what the next tier of headphones was like and pulled the trigger on a pair of Fidelio X1s. These things are like a revelation, I think at some point I forgot what bass even was.

I've been wanting to hear the X1. I've heard that they are incredibly fun to listen to. Coming from the Ad700 you might also want to consider the Ad900, but once you get bitten by the bass bug it's hard to go back.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Okay, I'm looking for some suggestions here as well. I work from home, doing phone support via VoIP. I also game a lot, so I may have these things on for upwards of 10 hours a day. I also have a very large noggin, so I need something with a larger frame/more adjustable head strap.

Budget - Not looking to spend over $200-250 Canadian, but if the set is worth it, I will
Source - Desktop/laptop
Isolation Requirements - Doesn't matter
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size, supra or circum-aural (I'd prefer something that rested its weight on the top of my head rather than my ears)
Preferred Tonal Balance - Voice quality - don't care beyond that
Past Headphones - Plantronics Audio 370 - loved these. Super comfortable, great quality. Mic gave out after a moving mishap. Replaced with Plantronics GameCon 780 based on previous happy experience with company. Quality is good, not very comfortable. I find they hurt my ears, as they are not quite big enough for my enormous head

So, basically - large, comfortable, USB, good mic, decent noise isolation. Don't care how big they are, how they look, etc. I'm comfortable spending money on them since they get used an absolute ton.

I appreciate any recommendations in advance.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I had similar requirements, and generally like my Astro A40's a lot. They aren't USB, but getting an adapter, or USB soundcard isn't too bad. I personally run mine through the Astro Mixamp, which has the benefit of Dolby Headphone. This makes multi-hour conference calls far more bearable; it gives the sound the illusion of coming from around me, rather than the middle of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Posting more of a review than anything else here.

I ended up getting Westone UM pro 30s, IEMs. The clarity is amazing and the bass is fantastic. Be careful to buy direct from westone to have your warranty upheld - I read a bunch of reviews on amazon saying if you bought through them, warranty was invalid.

I asked this awhile ago too, but figured it out myself - previously with winamp (no longer a thing) my bluetooth headphone controls would only work if that application was active "on top" so to speak. I changed out to Poweramp, and now my bluetooth controls work no matter what application I am using at the time.

In case that helps anyone out there!