Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Now CNN is quoting the White House as saying the search area is expanding into the Indian Ocean.

WHAT THE gently caress MAKE UP YOUR GODDAMNED MINDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They really have no loving clue where the plane went down, do they?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe they hit a crazy strong jet stream that took them back in time to the age of the dinosaurs and didn't come back to the right time when they found the wind again.

FrozenVent posted:

They really have no loving clue where the plane went down, do they?

Well if they did they wouldn't be looking for it now would they! :v:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
This has to be the worst airline investigation of our lifetimes, I've never seen so much misinformation, not even in the midst of goddamned 9/11.

Unreal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

This has to be the worst airline investigation of our lifetimes, I've never seen so much misinformation, not even in the midst of goddamned 9/11.

Unreal.

TWA 800 was publicly a bit of a mess until the FBI gave up and let the NTSB work wasn't it?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Nope, they found it and the sticking point was accident or terrorism. One particular in the case was argued.

In this case you have accident, terrorism, which direction it was traveling, when they lost contact, how long it flew after last contact, missing passengers, etc.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

VikingSkull posted:

Unreal.

Google the Arrow Air Disaster. The only thing the official inquiry proved was that the cause stated in the official inquiry was absolutely, definitely, not the cause.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MrYenko posted:

This just makes me wish the USCG flew the A-10.

Drug runners spotted. Cleared hot.

I knew someday my work on miniature life preservers that fit inside a 30mm cannon shell would pay off

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

It's part of the radio equipment meant to be used by an alive crew in a working airplane in situations that require varying degree of ATC oversight. It's not a locator beacon in case it crashes. Although it does seem like the ways aircraft communicate have fallen way behind the capabilities of the times. Talking over AM radio to ATC who watches your transponder response comes from an age when travelling by jet was something only the rich and famous jet set could afford.

There's something to be said for the simplicity and immediacy of analog communications. The last thing you want to see on your radio when you're having an emergency and need to communicate is "Queued".

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Linedance posted:

There's something to be said for the simplicity and immediacy of analog communications. The last thing you want to see on your radio when you're having an emergency and need to communicate is "Queued".

Agreed. With a lovely AM or VHF signal I will probably hear your transmission, albeit staticky and low. Compare that with the new P25 systems, which will simply reject your signal for being out of spec. Convenient!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

Unreal.

When they make an episode of Air Crash Investigation out of it it'll be about three hours long!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

When they make an episode of Air Crash Investigation out of it it'll be about three hours long!

Only if it's air crash media investigation.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Google the Arrow Air Disaster. The only thing the official inquiry proved was that the cause stated in the official inquiry was absolutely, definitely, not the cause.

:psyduck: What a cluster gently caress. Also blows the CVR was defective otherwise it would have likely made things clear one way or the other.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I knew someday my work on miniature life preservers that fit inside a 30mm cannon shell would pay off

Help is on the way! ZZZZZZZPPPPPPPPPP

<lifeboats all sink>

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Slamburger posted:

Help is on the way! ZZZZZZZPPPPPPPPPP

<lifeboats all sink>

Hell of a way to get a go-fast to stop though! Heli with a 240 vs LITERALLY EXPLODING ALL THE WATER AROUND IT. Pretty sure not even the hardest trafficker in the world is gonna try to run after that poo poo happens. Would be pretty hard to disable just the engine though...

E: V Pretty sure it involves a couple impacts and lots of tiny bits of fiberglass flying in every direction from the spot where a boat used to be.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 13, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wanna see what an A-10 can do to a fiberglass boat.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

It would be basically be a David Copperfield trick

movax
Aug 30, 2008

At this point it may as well be a slug, 1/2mv^2 will do all the work for you.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

cstang posted:

What's the point of having a transponder if it can be turned off?

Already answered above, but many many things in an airplane can be turned on or off. That's what much of the switches are for. The transponder is not part of a passive emergency beacon system, it is not what is used to find an aircraft after an accident.

Additionally, the engines, hydraulics, electric busses, and avionics can all be turned on and off by the flight crew.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Ferret King posted:

Additionally, the engines, hydraulics, electric busses, and avionics can all be turned on and off by the flight crew.

Well gently caress. What's the point of having an engine if it can be turned off?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Now CNN is quoting the White House as saying the search area is expanding into the Indian Ocean.

WHAT THE gently caress MAKE UP YOUR GODDAMNED MINDS

This time its satellite equipment that apparently works even if its not being properly used. Of course the Malaysians deny it. :psyduck:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ewe2 posted:

This time its satellite equipment that apparently works even if its not being properly used. Of course the Malaysians deny it. :psyduck:

What's hilarious is that they are denying what basically confirms that earlier radar report that they put out then denied. I mean, the gently caress?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I think at this point any information out of Malaysia Airlines is unreliable. FWIW, Ostrower at WSJ usually knows what he's talking about.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Just saying.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FrozenVent posted:

Just saying.

Yes, I'm sure he's the guy who made the confusingly-labeled infographic sourced from Jane's.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FrozenVent posted:

Just saying.

Also, while it's funny, there is a little disclaimer at the bottom: "Icons represent amount of assets, not specific models"

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Those could be E-2Cs not A-10s!

:goonsay:

ewe2 posted:

Great article on why this is such a stuff up. tl;dr crap leaders are crap

I wasn't impressed by it. 50% fill space, 40% political point-scoring and 10% subtly cultivated racism.

Yes NYT, congrats on discovering Malaysia and UMNO sucks balls, especially if you're a Chinese Malaysian. But what the gently caress does this have to do with an air crash investigation? It just reads like an overworked intern's desperate attempt to connect "5 facts I learned about Malaysia from wikipedia" with "no-one has seen any bits of plane floating past yet, OMG what do we write!"

Strangely, despite their bumbling dusky-hued ways, those darned Malays seem to manage, with rare exceptions, to avoid flying their planes into things. This might suggest a reason why they're less polished than an NTSB/AAIB spokegoon. This unfortunately is the high point of Phil Space journalism - with a bit more racism and a bit less stupidity in the newsroom, you get poo poo like this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-safety-3232586

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

I see you've studied at the Maude Flanders Memorial School of Weapon Design

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

movax posted:

At this point it may as well be a slug, 1/2mv^2 will do all the work for you.

It is a slug, that's a dummy warhead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How credible is this article?

Stolen F-35 Secrets Now Showing Up in China’s Stealth Fighter

I don't know the reputation of the site; it was featured on Real Clear Defense.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Given how much of a disaster the F-35 program has been, maybe it was part of a secret US plan to set the Chinese fighter program back by a decade or so.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Rinkles posted:

If only we were that lucky

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rinkles posted:

While the Chinese are probably working hard to steal secrets and while secrets are probably easier to steal today than 30-40 years ago, the main features the article cites as evidence is the outside shape of the aircraft, which is something the cyber warfare division can steal by using google image search and wikipedia.

As for the electro-optical sensor or other built-in IR sensors used for passive search and targeting, the Russians have had this for ages.

Oh and the Tomcat had one as well.

Not to mention the pods you can hang on anything.

So they could be stealing stuff or they could just be hoovering up every single bit of publicly available info - which is a lot - and telling their engineers to copy it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Listening to the local news, someone out there is still running with the WSJ story about the airplane flying for 4 or 5 hours after the transponder went off. And now some talk about a Chinese dissident being on board, someone who has apparently spent much of his professional life teaching at various universities in Europe, but has some "commercial aviation training" from Sweden or something, so maybe this successful expat decided to go terrorist and kill a bunch of his 'fellow people'? It was so convoluted even the radio host didn't sound convinced enough to take it seriously.

Ah, sweet home NW Florida, how I miss you. You can actually make out Destin in the background.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Another helicopter has crashed in the UK near where that Pave hawk crashed in January

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-26572122

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Gibfender posted:

Another helicopter has crashed in the UK near where that Pave hawk crashed in January

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-26572122

'45 miles' really isn't that 'near' when you're talking about the UK, although I accept that it would seem that way to an american observer.

I mean, during the height of the cold war you could draw a 45 mile circle from where I am right now and include 20+ airbases, and be within outer marker distance of another 30 or so.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Something happening in Philly: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/03/13/emergency-crews-respond-to-incident-at-philadelphia-international-airport/

e: and of course a passenger puts a cell phone photo on the internet within minutes:

Looks like the front landing gear failed to open or collapsed.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 13, 2014

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

People on Facebook are loving fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
On my drive today I heard the guy who wrote the WSJ article on NPR state unequivocally that the plane was in contact with some kind of satellite communication for bare minimum 4 hours after the point of last contact.

When the host went all "uhh...that Rolls Royce engine thing has been denied/debunked" the WSJ guy said it wasn't that, it was something else, and then didn't elaborate at all.

As everybody else has said, this whole thing is jut nuts.