Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I guess the big difference to me is that in RE4, El Gigante is something Leon solos 2v1 without much trouble. In RE5, it is a monster that devastates an entire group of soldiers and that you need two gattling guns firing basically nonstop in order to take down because there's on way you could handle it on foot. The former feels a lot more power fantasy to me.

I felt that was the point though. As far back as RE1 you've been solo'ing giant creatures, but on your first non-New Game+ run, it's hard and takes some tactics and is pretty intimidating. You're the action hero who has to take out the gross old-movie style Frankenstein horror to show you got the guts to survive what's to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Honestly, I can hardly play 4 anymore. I think it was released at the right time, and I enjoyed it when it came out. But over time, I find myself enjoying RE5 more and more, which is amazing because that initial demo with Chris just punching Africans in the face was awful. But I thought it was at the very least somewhat progressive to finally have a black woman protagonist for once.

I also thought it was a good return back to the familiar. I honestly think the antagonists of RE4 to be pretty dull. Sure, they said some goofy poo poo but I felt they were ultimately forgettable.

Also, playing through RE4 HD now that I have gotten better, the adaptive difficulty is aggravating to the point of being annoying. Enemies become huge health sinks and RE5 at least alleviates it by allowing you to stomp on enemies on the ground.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 14, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Hey man, I'm psyched that it sounds like they're saying RE7 won't be a reboot because they care about how attached to the characters we are. :allears:

Which everyone totally is, by the way. The characters might be goofy as hell but you can't play more than a game or two in the series without falling in love with these idiots no matter how many vehicles they destroy or traps they blunder into.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Honestly, I can hardly play 4 anymore. I think it was released at the right time, and I enjoyed it when it came out. But over time, I find myself enjoying RE5 more and more, which is amazing because that initial demo with Chris just punching Africans in the face was awful. But I thought it was at the very least somewhat progressive to finally have a black woman protagonist for once.

I also thought it was a good return back to the familiar. I honestly think the antagonists of RE4 to be pretty dull. Sure, they said some goofy poo poo but I felt they were ultimately forgettable.

Also, playing through RE4 HD now that I have gotten better, the adaptive difficulty is aggravating to the point of being annoying. Enemies become huge health sinks and RE5 at least alleviates it by allowing you to stomp on enemies on the ground.

As I said earlier, I had the exact opposite response. Playing RE6 again just makes me want to play RE4. I then FINISHED RE4 again. I still haven't beaten anything but Leon's part of 6.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

blackguy32 posted:

But over time, I find myself enjoying RE5 more and more, which is amazing because that initial demo with Chris just punching Africans in the face was awful. But I thought it was at the very least somewhat progressive to finally have a black woman protagonist for once.

Too bad she'll probably never show up again.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Excels posted:

Too bad she'll probably never show up again.

That might be true, but at least it kept the cast from being Whitey McWhite again.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd love an RE7 with a campaign with the dudes and one with all the female characters.

I mean Jill is amazing in Revelations, she just does not give a single gently caress of the things she's fighting.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Gaz-L posted:

As I said earlier, I had the exact opposite response. Playing RE6 again just makes me want to play RE4. I then FINISHED RE4 again. I still haven't beaten anything but Leon's part of 6.

This is funny because Leon's is the worst campaign in RE6. :psyduck:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tremors posted:

This is funny because Leon's is the worst campaign in RE6. :psyduck:

RE6 is so polarizing. I liked Leon's part the best in it. Crazy, right? One of the consequences of that game having so many different designers.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Honestly, I think all of the campaigns are pretty terrible in their own way. Leon's part starts off pretty interesting until you have to go into those caves or catacombs or whatever the gently caress they are.

Jake's is pretty terrible until you get captured.

Chris's is merely ok.

However, the part with Ada escaping the Aircraft Carrier is pretty boss and probably one of the best parts in the whole game.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I have to say, RE6 is easily the funniest game released in 2012: Leon crashes every vehicle he drives/steps foot in, has an (awesome) 1 hour series of boss battles against the American Secretary of Defense who turns into a T-Rex zombie mummy, and learns that the US is controlled by an ancient society of mole people. Chris battles a giant electrically powered skull baby, an invisible giant snake, and guys wearing 50s sci-fi armor on a stolen US aircraft carrier. Jake's campaign exists in a whacked out Uncharted/James Bond film.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The 3rd chapter of Jake's just makes me wanna smash into a wall, you can't loving leave because Sherry needs to call her superior, I mean cmon. :ughh:

I'm applying real world logic here but its just so stupid, that and the fact that the phone is somehow still charged 6 months later.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I know "realism" sounds like a silly word to apply to Resident Evil, but it's always been a series about soldiers responding to crazy mutants, without any entries where the protagonists have demon blood or a beneficial mutation or any similar carry-on. It's just you, your trusty 9mm pistol, and your fists against an army of creatures that look like H.R. Giger hosed a cockroach.

I do wonder if "realism" is the best word for what the guy said, though, and if liberties were taken with the translation.

Speedball posted:

RE6 is so polarizing. I liked Leon's part the best in it. Crazy, right? One of the consequences of that game having so many different designers.

I would've been okay with the game if it had just been Leon and Ada's campaigns. Both Chris and Jake's campaigns have parts that really infuriate me. I died 21 times on my run through all four campaigns and I'd wager a good 15 of them were on the snowmobile run in Jake's game. (Another four were probably bullshit QTEs in Ada's game.)

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. I generally feel the opposite. RE4 made me feel like such an overpowered action hero that very little felt threatening to me once I understood the mechanics.

I think now is another good time to remind you that you are better at video games than most people, as evidenced by what history now calls the E3 Bionic Commando Incident.

Excels posted:

Real question here: when was the last time a Resident Evil game was genuinely scary?

It's not like that's an objective conclusion. Revelations has a couple of parts that scared the hell out of me on an initial playthrough ("May... day..."), Ada's fight with Carla in RE6 is creepy as hell, and the Regenerators and Novistadors in RE4 both scared me a bit.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The giant spiders crawling on the walls in RE2's sewers were loving terrifying when I was like 12.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Momomo posted:

The giant spiders crawling on the walls in RE2's sewers were loving terrifying when I was like 12.

When you grow up you realize "oh poo poo, those rooms are all super short and you never have any reason to go back to them" so you just run past all of them but when you're 12 it's like OH gently caress WHAT THE HELL IS THIS.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I thought the first encounter with Rachael in Revelations was well done and creepy. The few times they had an Ooze that could still talk they took advantage of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I think now is another good time to remind you that you are better at video games than most people, as evidenced by what history now calls the E3 Bionic Commando Incident.

I shall never live that down.

Policenaut posted:

When you grow up you realize "oh poo poo, those rooms are all super short and you never have any reason to go back to them" so you just run past all of them but when you're 12 it's like OH gently caress WHAT THE HELL IS THIS.

Resident Evil really is the game most designed to terrifying 12 year olds above all other audiences.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
What was the E3 Bionic Command Incident. I hope it's not rude to ask I'm just really curious.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

So has anyone else recently played Code Veronica again and went from considering it a decent RE game to hating it? For the first few hours I still thought it was ok, but by the time Chris reached Antarctica I couldn't stand it. I didn't remember the puzzles being that bad, but it has some serious item/puzzle creep. The backtracking gets wearying, too. And to add it all up, you need to deal with the controls/camera being old school RE while the game turns into more of a third person shooter (bandersnatchs and their absurd reach, hunter swarms, red barrels). Forget RE2 - if any game in the series could do with a RE4 style remake, it's Code Veronica.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

timeandtide posted:

So has anyone else recently played Code Veronica again and went from considering it a decent RE game to hating it? For the first few hours I still thought it was ok, but by the time Chris reached Antarctica I couldn't stand it. I didn't remember the puzzles being that bad, but it has some serious item/puzzle creep. The backtracking gets wearying, too. And to add it all up, you need to deal with the controls/camera being old school RE while the game turns into more of a third person shooter (bandersnatchs and their absurd reach, hunter swarms, red barrels). Forget RE2 - if any game in the series could do with a RE4 style remake, it's Code Veronica.

I have been replaying it, and I still like it. The parts I thought were painful are still painful, such as Steve. Although I think I still prefer the original over CVX. I think some of the cutscenes were unnecessary, and I liked seeing Wesker get his rear end kicked by Alexia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

What was the E3 Bionic Command Incident. I hope it's not rude to ask I'm just really curious.

I was playing the new (at the time) Bionic Commando game at E3, and it was early on before they got any real playtesting done so the swinging mechanics were still awkward and poorly implemented. The dev showing off the game was trying to walk me through it and was preemptively apologizing for how hard it was to swing around. I did everything perfectly on the first try to the point he seemed kind of befuddled by it and said nobody else had managed to pull that off during the entire conference. I have a knack for picking up game mechanics and idiosyncrasies very quickly is all.

timeandtide posted:

I don't really hate it but it's aged pretty significantly. It still has some things I enjoy though, like the absurdly overpowered knife.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

I have a knack for picking up game mechanics and idiosyncrasies very quickly is all.

I brought it up as an illustrative example of why when ImpAtom mentions a game being easy or having easy-to-grasp mechanics, you need to take it with a grain of salt the size of the moon because he is a robo-wizard.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wanderer posted:

I brought it up as an illustrative example of why when ImpAtom mentions a game being easy or having easy-to-grasp mechanics, you need to take it with a grain of salt the size of the moon because he is a robo-wizard.

Yeah, I remember when he was saying Devil May Cry 3 wasn't any problem at all. ImpAtom is inhumanly good at video games. It's cool, though.

I really really wish they hadn't implemented the skill system as they did in Resident Evil 6. Almost anything would have been better than that. Even a Borderlands skill tree would have been more appropriate.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Speedball posted:

I really really wish they hadn't implemented the skill system as they did in Resident Evil 6. Almost anything would have been better than that. Even a Borderlands skill tree would have been more appropriate.

I saw it as a way for them to retain at least some of the customization of the previous games but still make it jump in/jump out co-op friendly. They didn't want people sitting endlessly at inventory screens before starting a chapter or not allowing mid-chapter joins. I think it worked somewhat ok, but I'd rather they went even farther with it and let you specialize guns more so you could just roll with what you like best.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

timeandtide posted:

I remember Code Veronica being fun but it had a few moments where you could totally gently caress yourself over if you didn't know what was coming. Like when you control Claire again in Antarctica (the sequence where Steve dies) any items Claire has are lost forever at the end of that sequence. So if you took some powerful weapons or all the healing items? You were screwed for the final boss.

Wasn't Code Veronica also the point where Umbrella went from 'Biotech research company with a serious lack of ethics or safety procedures' to 'Saturday morning cartoon villains with insane plans for world domination'? although YMMV on if that was a positive or negative change.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Spalec posted:

I remember Code Veronica being fun but it had a few moments where you could totally gently caress yourself over if you didn't know what was coming. Like when you control Claire again in Antarctica (the sequence where Steve dies) any items Claire has are lost forever at the end of that sequence. So if you took some powerful weapons or all the healing items? You were screwed for the final boss.

Wasn't Code Veronica also the point where Umbrella went from 'Biotech research company with a serious lack of ethics or safety procedures' to 'Saturday morning cartoon villains with insane plans for world domination'? although YMMV on if that was a positive or negative change.

No, that always existed. We are talking about Oswald Spencer after all. The guy who built a mansion with all kinds of weird puzzles and then built a laboratory under it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spalec posted:

There was a gigantic B.O.W. Snake in the Spencer Mansion. Here's the important part; being a zombie didn't make it into a gigantic snake. It already was bred to be a gigantic, 40 foot long snake because Umbrella wanted to do ??? experiments on it. It just broke out and Umbrella was so incompetent that they couldn't recapture it before yet another incompetence caused the zombie outbreak which infected it.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Wait, what? Is that retcon? I'm sure originally it was just meant to be presumed that the virus mutated a normal snake (like the ones that dropped on you from the trees in the gardens) into a giant one.

Also, RE6's inventory is better than 5's "slowly scroll from thing to thing" but both it and customization needs to be improved if they keep the multiplayer angle. That, and I'd like to see a game where you can explore an area more instead of just running through linear levels; that's what makes RE4 still stand out, in that it absolutely uses its locations to the fullest extent and you get a real sense of place, plus it feels rewarding tactically in terms of using an "open battlefield" like the village vs. a series of corridors, plus exploration nets you rewards/side scenes.

I was just playing Dark Souls II, and it'd be really cool to imagine a modern day survival horror game with guns etc. where you still fight but mechanics wise everything is barely explained and death is waiting around every corner, no hand holding, etc. Demon's Soul's definitely has its creepy moments and areas, so just amp it up from there.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Umbrella were creating stuff like that to sell off as weapons, right?

And Nthing the love for RE4. It's one of the few games where I can't recall any particularly dull section - the game is tuned to drat near perfection. It all gets more intense and nuanced just the right amount, escalating to keep roughly even with the player's skill and equipment. I need to put aside some time and play through it again at some point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Umbrella were creating stuff like that to sell off as weapons, right?

And Nthing the love for RE4. It's one of the few games where I can't recall any particularly dull section - the game is tuned to drat near perfection. It all gets more intense and nuanced just the right amount, escalating to keep roughly even with the player's skill and equipment. I need to put aside some time and play through it again at some point.

I do not care for the Verdugo, the Right Hand sequence especially when the IT section has a lot of similarities and is vastly superior.

Everything else rocks so, so very hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

timeandtide posted:

Also, RE6's inventory is better than 5's "slowly scroll from thing to thing"

RE5's inventory actually has a bunch of hidden shortcut options which make it much faster to use. You can do anything you need to do within 2-3 button presses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

RE5's inventory actually has a bunch of hidden shortcut options which make it much faster to use. You can do anything you need to do within 2-3 button presses.

Wait am I insane or wasn't RE5's entire inventory management: things that are on the four cardinal points of the Dpad are selectable via dpad things which ore on the 5 non cardinal points are not. I.e., slap your two guns, a grenade, and healing on the 4 points and put ammo and built proof vests in the other empty slots and you have quick access to everything you use.

I thought it was ingenious at the time and a great multiplayer solution.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My boss dusted off his Wii and RE4 and has been coming into work complaining about losing sleep because of it. He started a new game instead of his cleared 15 times file. It's kind of hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Wait am I insane or wasn't RE5's entire inventory management: things that are on the four cardinal points of the Dpad are selectable via dpad things which ore on the 5 non cardinal points are not. I.e., slap your two guns, a grenade, and healing on the 4 points and put ammo and built proof vests in the other empty slots and you have quick access to everything you use.

I thought it was ingenious at the time and a great multiplayer solution.

Yep. The D-Pad allows instant access to anything, and every option in the 'item menu' actually has a quick-select button option in the menu itself so you can do things on a dime. This was a pretty essential skill for Mercenaries since it meant you could reload while mid kick-animation and such.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Resident Evil 5 has always felt like two games to me. There is the part leading up to where you find out about the lab, and then everything after. My friend noticed it too, she like the 2nd part much better than the first section.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Resident Evil 5 has always felt like two games to me. There is the part leading up to where you find out about the lab, and then everything after. My friend noticed it too, she like the 2nd part much better than the first section.

A lot of the Resident Evil games do this. There's a really noticable change in tone, usually right around the time the Hidden Lab (or equivalent) stuff comes into play. It tends to trend away from horror around that point.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of the Resident Evil games do this. There's a really noticable change in tone, usually right around the time the Hidden Lab (or equivalent) stuff comes into play. It tends to trend away from horror around that point.

Perhaps, but I don't think it is as big of a leap as RE5. I think there are several enemies that don't even show up til those sections, like the Lickers, Reapers, gun majinis. Also the entire focus of the game seems to change for the better, probably because the game finally gets some focus with its storyline instead of "Lets follow this guy around for 3 chapters"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I always felt like the tone change is meant to be a shift from hunted to hunter. You found the lair of the Bullshit Villain's Flavor Of The Month, now you're digging around their home turf looking to gently caress up their biggest projects with your biggest guns before you walk across the invisible line that makes everything explode. Whereas before you fought through apocalyptic ruins full of unexplained horrors, now you're ground zero in a sterile lab that shits out the things you've been hewing through for the last 75% of the game, so you shift mental gears to having a goal in sight, and a lot of freaky stuff to slaughter between walking in and exploding out.

This is almost reflexively triggered by the fact that 9 times out of 10, the final area is some kind of experiment lab, which by now prompts a Pavlovian feeling of "Oh ok it's time to find the best weapons and fight some really hosed up stuff, zombie time over"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black August posted:

I always felt like the tone change is meant to be a shift from hunted to hunter. You found the lair of the Bullshit Villain's Flavor Of The Month, now you're digging around their home turf looking to gently caress up their biggest projects with your biggest guns before you walk across the invisible line that makes everything explode. Whereas before you fought through apocalyptic ruins full of unexplained horrors, now you're ground zero in a sterile lab that shits out the things you've been hewing through for the last 75% of the game, so you shift mental gears to having a goal in sight, and a lot of freaky stuff to slaughter between walking in and exploding out.

This is almost reflexively triggered by the fact that 9 times out of 10, the final area is some kind of experiment lab, which by now prompts a Pavlovian feeling of "Oh ok it's time to find the best weapons and fight some really hosed up stuff, zombie time over"

Pretty much. I think the labs also kind of inherently (and intentionally) undermine the supernatural aspect of the game. You can be well aware that there is a (letter)-Virus causing all of this but it's still got a sense of "what the gently caress is that poo poo?" Once you hit the lab it's much easier to get into the mindset of "that poo poo is a genetic experimentation, shoot it in the face."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

There was a blog that describes the original outline of RE5 complete with concept art and it sounded rad. Wesker has an underground volcano base, Chris fights 20 El Gigantes, and there's a half underwater level.