Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
And now he's binned it. Looks like he may have broken the left rear suspension.

Annnd Hunklebert. Sad way to end the session for those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

This just in: Grosjean still terrible.

VVV He put two wheels on the grass and smashed it into a wall. Being "down on power" isn't much of an excuse for that.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 14, 2014

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
To be fair the car is a colossal gently caress up.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yeah Grosjean is actually pretty good as evidenced by last year. Lotus is just complete poo poo this year.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
If this sort of nonsense keeps up this year is just going to be a lottery. This is not a bad thing after last year's second half.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hmm looks like my prediction that the Red Bulls would be around 5th and 6th and the Williams wont be anywhere near the top is going to work out.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
If Renault sort out that engine then Vettel is going to be ridiculously fast

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

If Renault sort out that engine then Vettel is going to be ridiculously fast

Renault say that they've fixed the issues already. Red Bull is way up on their testing pace

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Vettel WDC Red bull WCC. :v:

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I had this weird dream that Vettel ran 40 laps in fp1 and was quite competitive

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Quali/Race at full pacing is going to be awesome sauce. The rear end is so twitchy, and the bump rates are boingo boingo.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sulman posted:

I had this weird dream that Vettel ran 40 laps in fp1 and was quite competitive

Wow that's really weird, that was FP2 that that happened in, not FP1. Might want to get your dream-generator calibrated.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

Diet Crack posted:

The rear end is so twitchy, and the bump rates are boingo boingo.

Taken out of context, that is a weird sentence

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Pablo Bluth posted:

Still have overheating issues at RBR, as demonstrated by this slightly melted bodywork
https://twitter.com/JennieGow/status/444315398201020417/photo/1

You know that feeling when you come in from the cold and your wife has a large bowl of beef stew and dumplings waiting for you and as you eat it the meat just melts in your mouth and slowly warms you from the inside? That's how I felt when looking at that picture of Sebs car.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I managed to snag a VIP pass for Sunday, box above the Ferrari pit, with some paddock access, super pumped.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Notes from being at today's Free Practice:

- LOL @ Lotus Renault. My friend who goes for LR was spitting blood. Seriously, what the gently caress is going on with those teams

- The new F1s are quiet. You didn't need earplugs. I didn't mind but I was well and truly in the minority. Most of my F1 fans, and Alan Jones, hates the quietness.

- Some people complained how slow the cars are. Considering it is a new engine/aero package, little wonder they are not on top of things yet. I expect by mid year the cars will be faster.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

You Am I posted:

Notes from being at today's Free Practice:

- LOL @ Lotus Renault. My friend who goes for LR was spitting blood. Seriously, what the gently caress is going on with those teams

- The new F1s are quiet. You didn't need earplugs. I didn't mind but I was well and truly in the minority. Most of my F1 fans, and Alan Jones, hates the quietness.

- Some people complained how slow the cars are. Considering it is a new engine/aero package, little wonder they are not on top of things yet. I expect by mid year the cars will be faster.

Like I said before, they're not that slow. On medium tyres they were 5 secs off of last year's pole, which was a second and a half faster than everyone else. With some softs they should be 3-4 secs slower, which given the state of the power units/aero development is actually quite fast. A pole under the 1:30s wouldn't surprise me.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

1:29 in FP2, so definitely. It's a perceived slowness.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

You Am I posted:

- Some people complained how slow the cars are.

They aren't THAT much slower though (today's fastest time is about the same as last year's fastest race lap) Maybe it's the lower engine noise that makes them appear to be slower when you see them in the flesh?

Edit: Beaten like Kimi because I didn't refresh

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Barnsy posted:

Like I said before, they're not that slow. On medium tyres they were 5 secs off of last year's pole, which was a second and a half faster than everyone else. With some softs they should be 3-4 secs slower, which given the state of the power units/aero development is actually quite fast. A pole under the 1:30s wouldn't surprise me.

I had no issues with the noise or speed, I fully knew it was a start of a new era and there are plenty of bugs that need to be ironed out. However the sound thing might be an issue.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

You Am I posted:

I had no issues with the noise or speed, I fully knew it was a start of a new era and there are plenty of bugs that need to be ironed out. However the sound thing might be an issue.

I think the main issue people are having is the noise level, not the noise itself (personally I think they sound space-age sweet, which is right for F1). If they want to increase the noise level they can always artificially do it like on many turbo cars these days.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Spaced God posted:

Hamilton had to get through security to get to the paddock
:cop: : Do you have your pass?
:v: : I'm a driver
I thought you were joking, I just saw the clip.

Would have been funnier if Lewis just stopped, slightly tilted his visor up and stared at the moron for an uncomfortably long time before walking off.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I was watching Ferrari onboard laps and the setup is so different it's hard to believe they're driving the same car. Kimi has massive understeer and Fernando is able to just throw the car right on the apex.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

m-o-o-n posted:

I was watching Ferrari onboard laps and the setup is so different it's hard to believe they're driving the same car. Kimi has massive understeer and Fernando is able to just throw the car right on the apex.

Eh, setup differences.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Riso posted:

Eh, setup differences.

Okay I am a Kimi fan but I understand and can live with the fact that Fernando is the better driver, in fact the best on the grid. That doesn't entirely explain what I saw today. At the very least there's something horribly wrong with Kimi's brake balance.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Worth noting that although the pole time was a 27.2 last year, in the completely dry practice two, Vettel managed a 25.9 and Webber a 26.1.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
I've just done my first race of the year betting spree. Nothing with really silly odds either way:
  • Kimi to lead at the end of lap 1 @ 25/1
  • Magnussen to finish on the podium @ 5/1
  • Jenson to win @ 11/1
  • Kobayashi first to retire @ 12/1
  • Qualifying Result: P1 Ham, P2 Alo @ 18/1

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

2-4 seconds difference, in a step down from V8's to V6's is pretty goddamn impressive tbqh. We're yet to see the full output of the engines until Q3 anyway.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Am I the only one to see any humour in the fact that we're still watching "the pinnacle of motorsport", there are numerous technological breakthroughs in play, and the drivers are still (mostly) among the most talented in the world, and yet the biggest concern for many is "CAR DOES NOT GOES LOUD ENUF!!" :saddowns:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

F1 2014 - The engine whine will be provided by the fans

By the way, I think we need to have an official Worst Thread straw poll before the season gets underway proper: If the title is decided because of the double points race, are we going to accept that person as our one true WDC? Remember, it could be your favourite driver that benefits after an end-of-season charge, or it could be vettel. but we need a majority decision either way.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 14, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The rev-limited V8s were shittier than these engines imo

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I think they should be forced to use roadworthy car engines and mod the everliving gently caress out of them.

"Why yes, this is a Ford Ecotec 1.0, which we've upped to 800hp." :v:

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I can't believe it's almost upon us. I haven't looked forward to a season so much in years.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Daveh posted:

I've just done my first race of the year betting spree. Nothing with really silly odds either way:
  • Jenson to win @ 11/1

You know if you just want to throw money away you can chuck it at me.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Daveh posted:

• Jenson to win @ 11/1

Magnussen bet will probably make you even there

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Watching the practice replay on Sky now, and I do have to say Buttons car sounds meatier than the others, like a guttural growl.

*EDIT* Also RBR running illegal cars (no camera on the noses)? Did anything come of this?

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 14, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Falken posted:

I think they should be forced to use roadworthy car engines and mod the everliving gently caress out of them.

"Why yes, this is a Ford Ecotec 1.0, which we've upped to 800hp." :v:

we pulled this helicopter jet engine out of a junk yard in Belarus, Marussia world champion 2014!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Having been to Belarus this is a distinct possibility.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
Moskvitch Marussia WCC 1966 2014 :ussr:

Actually given how slow Marussia typically is I wouldn't have been surprised if you told me they were running old Soviet-era technology in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Watching the practice replay on Sky now, and I do have to say Buttons car sounds meatier than the others, like a guttural growl.

*EDIT* Also RBR running illegal cars (no camera on the noses)? Did anything come of this?

They've mounted a camera inside the nose with a window. They will have to take equivalent ballast to compensate for not having a camera pod.

• Locked thread