Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Aw, close but no cigar. I live in Buffalo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

katkillad2 posted:

I know most of this is in the first post, but I want someone to treat me like a baby and tell me if I'm missing anything.

My 2010 car has never been detailed and it looks ok at a distance, but you can really see the swirls up close. I would rather pay someone to do this, but the people I find don't even know what a clay bar is and/or won't even tape off the windshields so wax won't get on them.

So I'm going to:

Dawn Wash using two bucket system and microfiber wash mitt.
Clay bar
Apply compound using a dual action polisher.
Apply wax with the dual action polisher.
Hopefully not screw up my paint.

If I want to apply sealant, does it replace the wax step or is it another step entirely? If it's another step entirely, do I apply the sealant prior to the wax or after waxing? I don't have a pressure washer so I'm not getting the foam cannon suggested in the first post.

I'm going to buy the Meguiar correction kit so it comes with pads for the compound and wax, but what kind of pads do I need for the sealant?

Thanks in advance!

the sealant can replace the wax, but it doesn't hurt to do both.
Here is a link to sealants vs wax: http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

Screwing up your paint will be really, REALLY hard with a DA. Just make sure you are meticulous with taping and you will be fine. :)

As for the sealant? No pads at all, just wipe on and wipe off.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

ratbert90 posted:

the sealant can replace the wax, but it doesn't hurt to do both.
Here is a link to sealants vs wax: http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

Screwing up your paint will be really, REALLY hard with a DA. Just make sure you are meticulous with taping and you will be fine. :)

As for the sealant? No pads at all, just wipe on and wipe off.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll probably do it Monday since it's supposed to get up to 60 degrees here and everything should be shipped by then. I'll post some before and after pictures.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

katkillad2 posted:

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll probably do it Monday since it's supposed to get up to 60 degrees here and everything should be shipped by then. I'll post some before and after pictures.

That would be great!

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

FYI - Autogeek.net is having a sale right now, looks like maybe it's over at midnight. 15% off everything and free shipping over $150. Just picked up the Porter Cable polisher along with some pads and other stuff for $170 shipped.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks for that. Ordered a polisher and all the other things I had been planning on getting when it warmed up. Based on how well the car shines up with just a normal wash I think it has a lot of potential.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yeah, sale is going through today, thanks for that. I was able to get the 3" polisher kit and case of Stoners More Shine that were both on the excluded list last sale. $135 shipped is pretty decent.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Is this a good kit to go with?

http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

I've polished a car once borrowing some stuff and probably won't be using it for awhile, but hey, it's on sale. Is there something else you'd recommend in the $200 range?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Larrymer posted:

Is this a good kit to go with?

http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

I've polished a car once borrowing some stuff and probably won't be using it for awhile, but hey, it's on sale. Is there something else you'd recommend in the $200 range?

Absolute perfect place to start.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just purchased my meatpimp approved buffer. Thanks for posting about the sale LordOfThePants and giving some feedback. Already bought new tires today too, this is one expensive morning.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So I want to give major kudos to the original poster.

I have a 2013 Volt that I bought last July. It had been sitting on their lot for 4 months and there were tons of swirl marks and surface scratches in the paint, which I negotiated off the price of the vehicle. It looked like they had washed the car with brushes, and like a dummy I took it through an automated car wash several times through the winter. So I made it worse. Due to work scheduling and weather, I haven't had the time or energy to correcting it but I did get several quotes on how much it would take (time/money) to fix it. The average of 4 quotes was $500/8 hours which was way more than I was willing to pay.

So I found this thread and decided that I could DIY it. I procured all the recommended goods (Porter Cable buffer, pads -- though I used Freight Harbor 6" cheapies, clay kit, Meguiars Ultimate compound and polish, painters tape, and some Dawn). I watched all the recommended videos and took notes. This morning I executed.

Like a dummy, I forgot to take before pictures but here are the results:

I also detailed the interior, which didn't take long as I keep it pretty clean (excepting all the road treatment I brought in on my shoes)

So here's my take. Holy poo poo. I have the utmost respect for those who detail for a living. It is hard work. I started at 9:00 am and finished the exterior at 4:00 pm. The interior (cleaning all the junk out of the mats, steaming them, treating the leather, dusting the surfaces and vents) took an hour.

As far as the paint, I took my time on the swirls, marking things off, cutting, cutting again, cutting again, and again. Then polishing. Then waxing. The worst swirls/scratches were on the horizontal surfaces and the roof rails. They are 98% gone, and I have to look really, really hard to find the remaining 2%. It looks amazing, with a depth that wasn't there when I bought it.

I hope I never have to do more than wash and wax it (by hand this time, no more automated washes and no more brushes), but I have the tools and confidence to do so if needed.

Thanks a million, uh, $500, Ratbert!

quick edit:

The Harbor Freight pads worked just fine - they were on sale today for $4 each. I went through 4 cutting pads, a polishing pad, and a finishing pad. The only thing I would caution is that the cutting pads started throwing off fine foam particles after heavy use. I don't know if that's normal but I didn't risk it and swapped to a new pad when it started leaving foam dust on the surface. I had no issues with the polishing or finishing pads.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 9, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Holy wow that looks great! Amazing work!

As for the harbor freight pads, that's the reason for this sentence:

quote:

As far as the paint, I took my time on the swirls, marking things off, cutting, cutting again, cutting again, and again.

If you had used a nice orange LC pad it wouldn't have taken as long. :v:
Polishing is pretty easy on pads for sure, and as such, you can get away with cheapies.

Fantastic job again dude! That looks like easily a 500$ job right there.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

ratbert90 posted:

Holy wow that looks great! Amazing work!

As for the harbor freight pads, that's the reason for this sentence:

If you had used a nice orange LC pad it wouldn't have taken as long. :v:
Polishing is pretty easy on pads for sure, and as such, you can get away with cheapies.

Fantastic job again dude! That looks like easily a 500$ job right there.

Thanks for the compliments! I can't express how swirly/scratchy the paint was before. I was surprised to even see the scratches on the black and chrome trim under the windows disappear. I'll definitely splurge on the better cutting pads if I have to do it again.

Is it normal for a quality cutting pad to disintegrate? My hesitancy was around the price.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Goober Peas posted:

Thanks for the compliments! I can't express how swirly/scratchy the paint was before. I was surprised to even see the scratches on the black and chrome trim under the windows disappear. I'll definitely splurge on the better cutting pads if I have to do it again.

Is it normal for a quality cutting pad to disintegrate? My hesitancy was around the price.

I good quality cutting pad should last 10 or more cars if properly taken care of.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Thalamus posted:

So here's an interior I did recently that I am pretty proud of:

Before:

After:

2013 Dodge Journey, owned by llama farmers (I'm not kidding).

What do you use on carpets? And also for plastics (like on the door area). I always have trouble getting rid of the white crap embedded into plastics.

Looks great man!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

A couple questions:

- Are there any types or brands of tire protectant that are worth looking into? I have no desire at all for a glazed or shiny look, but I would like to preserve the rubber if there's a way to do it.

- I get a lot of brake dust on my alloy wheels. Is there anything that works to hold it off or minimize it?

- Any "go to" recommendation for exterior plastic trim?

The car in question is a DD (about two years old) and we have plenty of ice, snow and salt around here.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Last October I bought my own house, with my own driveway! Then 2 weeks later Winter hit us like a sack of bricks and I never got a chance to actually use the driveway.

Today it was the first 60+ degree day since then, and I decided to finally give my Sonic a good cleaning.

Bonus: I HAVE A GARAGE!!! I've never had a garage to keep my car in until now. Always been in the street or an apartment parking lot.

I didn't get to wax it. It's a bit too cloudy out to get it to dry in any decent amount of time. At least I got all the terrible salt and grime from the winter off it though.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Anyway of removing those little rust spots/dots on the bottom half of a car without using a claybar?

edit: added image

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 12, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BoyBlunder posted:

Anyway of removing those little rust spots/dots on the bottom half of a car without using a claybar?

edit: added image

I had a bunch of those on the White Ranger truck I just cleaned up. Came right off with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a medium-density pad with a DA buffer. My previous experience with these is that clay bar isn't always effective with those.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

meatpimp posted:

I had a bunch of those on the White Ranger truck I just cleaned up. Came right off with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a medium-density pad with a DA buffer. My previous experience with these is that clay bar isn't always effective with those.

Sweet! My wife got me a detailing package as a gift certificate, and it seems like they do everything BUT claybar!

Here's what they do:

The blurb up top seems like marketing speak, but what do I know!

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 12, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BoyBlunder posted:

Sweet! My wife got me a detailing package as a gift certificate, and it seems like they do everything BUT claybar!

Here's what they do:

The blurb up top seems like marketing speak, but what do I know!

If they don't use a claybar for real, then you need to run far far away. If they don't use a claybar they are literally grinding dirt into your paint when they buff.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

If they don't use a claybar for real, then you need to run far far away. If they don't use a claybar they are literally grinding dirt into your paint when they buff.

Word, thanks for the tip. They have a claybar treatment for their next tier, so I'll opt for that one.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

BoyBlunder posted:

They have a claybar treatment for their next tier

Hahah what the gently caress.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BoyBlunder posted:

Word, thanks for the tip. They have a claybar treatment for their next tier, so I'll opt for that one.

wtf? That's rear end backwards. First tier should pretty much always be wash clay wax.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Some knobend has keyed my car across the boot lid and one of the rear doors. It's definitely through the clear coat and paint but not quite down to the metal from what I can see.

A bit hard to see (much more obvious in reality):

Closer:

Is there anything I can do about this (for instance one of those waxy scratch stick products) or am I going to have to get it repainted? (or just live with it) :/

e: one more of the bootlid

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I would just call my insurance for something like that. That needs painting.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Bootlid I'd agree with Chinatown; it looks like it probably needs paint. The doors look like you might be able to polish some or all them. At a minimum, I'd wager you could make the doors a hell of a lot less obvious.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Thanks guys - that's pretty much what I thought but I was hoping for some type of cheap miracle cure.

I did already try buffing the door before taking that picture but it only got rid of the very shallow bits at the ends of the lines - the rest is just too deep.

I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks to see if it was a one off and look at claiming on insurance.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

dissss posted:

Thanks guys - that's pretty much what I thought but I was hoping for some type of cheap miracle cure.

I did already try buffing the door before taking that picture but it only got rid of the very shallow bits at the ends of the lines - the rest is just too deep.

I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks to see if it was a one off and look at claiming on insurance.

Call the cops, get a case number/reference number (you'll need it for any eventual insurance claim most likely anyway, and the sooner you can report it the better).

Then depending on your insurance company it might be worth calling them and explaining that you want to wait a while before getting the damage repaired to make sure it's not going to happen again.

gently caress all will come out of the police report anyway but it's better to report it sooner than later.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
Richy has a good how to with pictures on repairing key scratches if you want to try a DIY approach - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/43535-key-repair-step-step-procedure.html

You might want to ask your insurance company how this would affect you if you decide to pursue a claim; who knows how they'll handle it if you try a DIY approach and it turns out that you're not happy with the results. You're also probably off better talking to an adjuster and not your agent if your insurance company is anything like mine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Scott808 posted:

Richy has a good how to with pictures on repairing key scratches if you want to try a DIY approach - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/43535-key-repair-step-step-procedure.html

You might want to ask your insurance company how this would affect you if you decide to pursue a claim; who knows how they'll handle it if you try a DIY approach and it turns out that you're not happy with the results. You're also probably off better talking to an adjuster and not your agent if your insurance company is anything like mine.

Half-assed key jobs still suck as much as full-on key jobs. :(

I agree, have your insurance look at it before you touch it. Then hit it with a buffer and some aggressive compound to see how deep it actually went. Then you can plan from there. It always looks the worst when it's fresh.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
How long does it actually take to clay a car? In this case, a WRX.

I'm guessing the clay isn't part of the detailing package due to time? Who knows

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BoyBlunder posted:

How long does it actually take to clay a car? In this case, a WRX.

I'm guessing the clay isn't part of the detailing package due to time? Who knows

claying a car is based off how dirty the paint is. If your car has never been clayed and it's a few years old, I would put it between 1 - 3 hours depending on a lot of factors.

That being, if they are putting wax on your car, claying is almost 100% necessary, as clay doesn't stick to dirt very well.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Scott808 posted:

Wow, that's basically indistinguishable from magic to someone like me who doesn't do a lot of detailing work.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

claying a car is based off how dirty the paint is. If your car has never been clayed and it's a few years old, I would put it between 1 - 3 hours depending on a lot of factors.

That being, if they are putting wax on your car, claying is almost 100% necessary, as clay doesn't stick to dirt very well.

It's a '13 WRX, but in New England so the salt/dirt have taken an absolute fuckin toll on it this season.

I wonder why clay isn't specifically mentioned if it's such a prominent piece of the process. I'll give em a call and see what they have to say.

edit: called them, claybar is included, just not listed on the site. Awesome!

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 13, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BoyBlunder posted:

It's a '13 WRX, but in New England so the salt/dirt have taken an absolute fuckin toll on it this season.

I wonder why clay isn't specifically mentioned if it's such a prominent piece of the process. I'll give em a call and see what they have to say.

edit: called them, claybar is included, just not listed on the site. Awesome!

I would be interested to know as well.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
So due to rain, snow and lovely weather in general I've had to postpone my detailing like 3 times, hopefully I'm going to do it tomorrow...but it's going to be windy and I don't have a garage so I'm kind of worried about debris flying around since I'm right next to a forest.

I did have a question before I get started, there is a spot on my hood where it got hit by a rock while on the freeway. It's been there for like 2 years and hurts everytime I look at it, I'm guessing it's not down to the metal or it probably would have started rusting by now. It's definitely rough to the touch, almost like maybe a piece of the rock is imbedded.

Pic!

What exactly do I do with something like that? I guess my goal is to not make it worse, should I put a tiny piece of tape over it before I start buffing?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

katkillad2 posted:

What exactly do I do with something like that? I guess my goal is to not make it worse, should I put a tiny piece of tape over it before I start buffing?

What kind of car? It's down through the paint, but if it hasn't rusted, it stopped at the rustproofing layer, whatever that may be. I know I was amazed when I first saw it -- my '86 Audi 4000S had a couple chips exactly like that, but they NEVER rusted. It wasn't until a bit later that I learned that Audi zinc-coated the body panels before painting. That, or something similar, is what is preventing that chip from rusting.

With that, clean it with a scratch stick and touch it up. Something that deep will require several layers of touch up to bring the level back to the rest of the paint surface. Give it a couple days to dry between layers. If you really want to buff/clean/polish, go ahead, then touch up the chip afterwards. As long as you use a scratch stick first, you're not going to do any harm in getting product in the chip.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
So we repainted a room last week and this morning I just found out someone had been shaking his paint roller a wee bit too close to my car. Basically I've got those little spots of paints on the left quarter panel and rear bumper. Is there anything I can do to get rid of those without mangling my car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If it's interior latex it's likely to come off with nothing more than soap and a sponge.