Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The monthly format for The Besties is not doing it any favors. It's essentially the same show except now they talk about the same games and make the same points that I've heard on the other 4 gaming podcasts I listen to only a couple weeks later.

Yeah, listen to the Besties if you want to hear people talk about Threes, Strider, Jazz Punk and Thief again with neither the benefit of the games being brand new or the benefit of the perspective that several months to a year gives you on the evaluation of a video game.

edit: Oh hey, remember Twitch Plays Pokemon and fuckin Flappy Bird? Inane poo poo that I've already forgotten? Let's talk about that stuff a month later instead of as its happening. Yeah, I'm done. What a shame, I actually liked the Besties.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think the problem is that they just don't care enough to actually work and make the podcast as good as it can be. Maybe that's not the case at all, but that's always the impression I've gotten from the constant format changes and the general lack of effort that they show in general when it comes to bringing/discussing games. It just seems like a thing they're doing because they're a video game website so they have to have a podcast. I mean it's not like they're sticking to a strict release date, so putting out a monthly podcast the week before arguably the two biggest releases of at least this half of the year come out is just silly. And if they're doing it because they anticipated not having enough time to record it this week, then that just kind of points out that maybe they should rethink why they're even doing the podcast and what its role is on their site.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Idle Thumbs guys mentioned that Bette Midler should record a track for the new song. Well a friend of a friend is Bette's personal assistant, and she is too afraid to even jokingly bring it up to her, so I guess that's your answer

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AngryBooch posted:

The monthly format for The Besties is not doing it any favors. It's essentially the same show except now they talk about the same games and make the same points that I've heard on the other 4 gaming podcasts I listen to only a couple weeks later.

Yeah, listen to the Besties if you want to hear people talk about Threes, Strider, Jazz Punk and Thief again with neither the benefit of the games being brand new or the benefit of the perspective that several months to a year gives you on the evaluation of a video game.

edit: Oh hey, remember Twitch Plays Pokemon and fuckin Flappy Bird? Inane poo poo that I've already forgotten? Let's talk about that stuff a month later instead of as its happening. Yeah, I'm done. What a shame, I actually liked the Besties.

What a jaded, nasty post. You should word it better to not sound like a cynical internet douchebag, even if your points are mostly valid.

And while it's not pulling in the numbers that it was when it was being talked about on the BBC and CNN, Twitch Plays Pokemon is still the sixth highest viewercount channel on Twitch right now at 4:45 AM with 8,500 viewers, and pulls in 15,000-20,000 during primetime. That's still very impressive for a single non-event Twitch channel, and the metanarrative surrounding this playthrough of Crystal has taken an interesting turn from Red's.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

What a jaded, nasty post. You should word it better to not sound like a cynical internet douchebag, even if your points are mostly valid.

Nah. The trouble with over thinking something supposed to be conversational like a video game podcast or video game forum post is self-evident with the new Besties format.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Nah. The trouble with over thinking something supposed to be conversational like a video game podcast or video game forum post is self-evident with the new Besties format.

Making an effort to be nice isn't overthinking, it's just thinking.

This thread will undoubtedly show that some people just aren't super into the idea of another "3-4 dudes don't prepare, then talk about what video games they've been playing" podcast. The Besties guys are trying different things, which is what you have to do if you want to advance the form.

I think it's admirable, especially given the amount of poo poo that gets heaped on them for having the gall to produce some free entertainment for us.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zapjackson posted:

This thread will undoubtedly show that some people just aren't super into the idea of another "3-4 dudes don't prepare, then talk about what video games they've been playing" podcast. The Besties guys are trying different things, which is what you have to do if you want to advance the form.

I think it's admirable, especially given the amount of poo poo that gets heaped on them for having the gall to produce some free entertainment for us.

I liked the Besties and I was ready for that prep. But the Besties is the same exact show it was except 3 weeks later now, it's not trying anything new. It's like if the New Yorker or the Atlantic were simply the latest four editions of Time Magazine stapled together.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 11, 2014

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Besties is the same show it was but they shouldn't talk about ios games so much and more of the guys will have played the games being talked about. It's still got problems for sure but those are both good things.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Timett posted:

they shouldn't talk about ios games so much

This is my issue with Video Games Hot Dog but maybe it's just me being a cellphone-abjuring luddite.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

HMS Boromir posted:

This is my issue with Video Games Hot Dog but maybe it's just me being a cellphone-abjuring luddite.

I just got an ios device for the first time a month ago and finally got to play a bunch of cellphone games I've heard people talking about so much.

The experience left me retroactively even angrier about all the words i've had to listen about cell phone games all these years.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I don't understand the kneejerk hatred some people have for discussion about phone games. I don't get upset when the Bombcast talks about the first Witcher game years after its been out or when they spent time on Lightning Returns, or when anyone talked about Towerfall, despite not really giving a poo poo about any of them. If it's a podcast about games that people have been playing, there's no reason to ignore games they've been playing just because they're on a certain platform

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Personally, I don't hate it, but I'm never going to play any of them and they don't tend to be very interesting to hear about, especially all the derivative puzzle games and whatnot. Obviously if they play a lot of them they're going to talk about them, I just don't enjoy it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

HMS Boromir posted:

Personally, I don't hate it, but I'm never going to play any of them and they don't tend to be very interesting to hear about, especially all the derivative puzzle games and whatnot. Obviously if they play a lot of them they're going to talk about them, I just don't enjoy it.

But how is that any different than someone talking about a platform you don't own or a genre you have no interest in? It seems like you're placing iOS games into a weird ghetto despite having a bunch of legitimately interesting, novel, real games.

\/\/\/\/\/
Fair enough. If it's universal, that's fine by me. I just don't understand singling out mobile games when they've come so far.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 11, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It isn't different to the former, certainly, though I'm a lot more likely to try a new genre than buy a phone. I was about as entertained when Idle Thumbs talked about PS4 launch titles as I am by the average iOS game discussion. I'm not making some weird attack on the platform itself, it's just that VGHD in particular talks about a lot of iOS games and most of them aren't very interesting to hear about.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
One of the things I appreciate about VGHD is that they talk about phone games and other small-scale stuff without treating them like second-class citizens.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Equal Rights for iPhone Games

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't mind the occasional talk about a stand out phone game but that's not what the Besties were doing in their original format(s). They just all needed something new to talk about every week and it was also supposed to be a new release so there would be 1+ phone game discussed a week that nobody on the podcast or listening really wanted to hear about.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I was really disappointed that Nick wasn't actually playing mahjong over his ipad with Japanese salarymen. Shame I really couldn't care less about hearthstone.

zapjackson posted:

Wow he didn't hugbox a podcast he didn't like what a loving dick. It doesn't matter that he had a cogent point that had some effort and thought put into it, but good thing you were here to defend some internet nerds honor. Good job.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nick recommended this on this week's Idle Thumbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmfV8IhsHq0&t=1060s

I watched it live and had my mind blown. A good recommendation from Nick.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
If you haven't seen them either, you should watch these two blindfolded Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvzIb53Lcno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSr3aXd4XuQ

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, I completely missed the last AGDQ. Is there a list of the must-watch stuff? The one before it set me for a couple months with how many great runs there were.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, I completely missed the last AGDQ. Is there a list of the must-watch stuff? The one before it set me for a couple months with how many great runs there were.
There is! I would add to that list the entirety of the WTFJapan and AwfulGDQ blocks. If you want to download individual runs rather than tracking them down on YouTube or Twitch archives, they're all up here.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Captain Invictus posted:

Looking down the list, I remember the Deus Ex run being fun, the Symphony of the Night race being really close, the F-Zero runs being completely nuts, and Pac-Man 2, the most amazing game I'd never heard of. And there was some pretty good competitive Yoshi's Cookie near the end. I had this thread bookmarked if you don't have a list of the runs.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I really enjoyed the Link to the Past WOFF and the interspersed music caused to me head down a "classic video game music" Youtube wormhole.

So this is for Gary and Kole...how are you guys liking Dark Souls II (of which you've no doubt been binging on)? I would've asked in the DS2 thread (and maybe someone has) but the thing moves at light speed and generally all people just asking questions. I'm about 10 hours in and I absolutely love it.

Having recently played Demons Souls (after Dark Souls) I was worried that the whole warping/overworld thing would kill the sense of connected world that Dark Souls accomplished (I didn't like the way Demon's Souls felt arbitrarily video-gamey) but this isn't the case. The worlds that aren't directly connected to one another at least all show clips of traveling which helps to give a sense of world building. I also really love the variety of locale. It all adds up to feel like an epic globe trotting adventure and I really like it. While I'm less than halfway through the game (I'm assuming), I've found my favorite area in any Souls game - (it's a relatively early game location but I'm putting in spoilers just to be safe) No Man's Wharf. Everything about this place rules. The haunted pirate port vibe, the teamwork of the mobs throwing oil on you and trying to light you on fire, the dynamic lighting looks cool and is important due to those weird monsters being afraid of the light, the creepy bell bringing in a ghost ship, and then your final attempt at boarding and commandeering the leaky boat. That area loving rules. I can't wait to see what other places lie in wait for me later.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 14, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Besties objectively rules. Suck it nerds.

If Idle Thumbs records an episode, does a documentary, or does spinoff of their new game it needs to be called Campo Santo: Firewatch With Me

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We're recording a "first impressions" mini episode tomorrow that will sum it up but I'm absolutely in love. I've been mainlining it for days. My only misgiving is requiring you to level up through the Emerald Herald rather than at bonfires when you can warp. Seems unnecessary but I'm sure there's a lore reason I haven't figured out yet.

Tune in Sunday for more gush and thanks for the kind words!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a Blindfolded Punch Out run that was pretty cool

edit: VVV Ah I feel stupid now for just skimming for game names

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 14, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Xtanstic posted:

There's a Blindfolded Punch Out run that was pretty cool

That... Was... Linked... Immediately... After... His... Post...

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

There is! I would add to that list the entirety of the WTFJapan and AwfulGDQ blocks. If you want to download individual runs rather than tracking them down on YouTube or Twitch archives, they're all up here.

Was anyone else slightly uncomforted by the dude trying to get Trihex to take off his shirt? It's a great run but man did he beat that drum.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Captain Invictus posted:

It was mentioned a few times, but the F-Zero GX run really deserves a direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0

If you haven't played the game, it just looks impressive. If you've ever tried to beat a level of the game on Very Hard you might find your face melting off around the time he gets boost on the third level.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Not to derail but if anyone has thoughts on Deadly Premonition, lay them on us at duckfeed.tv/contact by sunday at 10AM PST. It's going to be a contentious episode!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Woffle posted:

We're recording a "first impressions" mini episode tomorrow that will sum it up but I'm absolutely in love. I've been mainlining it for days. My only misgiving is requiring you to level up through the Emerald Herald rather than at bonfires when you can warp. Seems unnecessary but I'm sure there's a lore reason I haven't figured out yet.

Tune in Sunday for more gush and thanks for the kind words!

I kind of like that you're forced to go back to the hub frequently. In DS1 you would often go for a pretty long time without using Firelink at all, it feels nice to have a solid "Base" again like the Nexus in Demon Souls.

It would help if the load times were better though. Like if I want to teleport to Majula I have to do Homeward > last bonfire, Travel > Majula with a pretty long loading screen in between.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The thing about teleporting back to your homebase would work if there was new stuff to see there all the time, but it feels like there's less NPC dialogue in DS 2 than there was in the previous games. I'm 15 hours in and have beaten like 7-8 bosses since I got there, and none of the NPCs have anything new to say, which they definitely did in Demon's/Dark. It's understandable, since there's probably a greater volume of NPCs, but during that time only like 2 of them have relocated back to Majula.

That part is disappointing, I think, though maybe they'll do more with it later? Either way, it's a fantastic game.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So quick question - how spoilers is that latest Bonfireside Chat? Because due to either :freep:regions:freep: or PC Gaming Master Race, I can't play DS2 for another full month.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

TetsuoTW posted:

So quick question - how spoilers is that latest Bonfireside Chat? Because due to either :freep:regions:freep: or PC Gaming Master Race, I can't play DS2 for another full month.

There aren't really any spoilers in there, at least not for anything you wouldn't have picked up from even a cursory look at preview materials. I'm in the same boat not owning a console and all, so I'm gonna have to find something to fill up that hour or two of empty podcast time every week.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I hope Gary and Kole have been trying PvP in Dark Souls 2! I have played all the Souls games at launch and I find that PvP is always the most fun and crazy right after the games are released. Everyone is trying to figure out the game and you find people using a variety of different builds, some of the covenants are super crazy this time too! I'm looking forward to hearing them cover the main game, podcasts always make the work day go faster and I can't get enough of Dark Souls 2 talk!

Here's a dumb video I made to encourage irritating people in PvP (mild area spoilers for Harvest Valley):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH6we-mrPtA

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I'm holding offjust because I'm mid game 4 of primals. This season looks to be excellent just because of all the stuff I've seen already. Argh! I want to jump into the megathread as well!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

weird bleep posted:

I hope Gary and Kole have been trying PvP in Dark Souls 2! I have played all the Souls games at launch and I find that PvP is always the most fun and crazy right after the games are released. Everyone is trying to figure out the game and you find people using a variety of different builds, some of the covenants are super crazy this time too! I'm looking forward to hearing them cover the main game, podcasts always make the work day go faster and I can't get enough of Dark Souls 2 talk!

Here's a dumb video I made to encourage irritating people in PvP (mild area spoilers for Harvest Valley):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH6we-mrPtA

I have done a little! I'm actually doing pretty well. We'll probably do another PVP special later in the season where we visit how it's different than DS1.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Good DS2 preview show. I actually had a similar launch experience. I haven't attended a midnight launch for anything since Halo 3 and basically said I'd never do it again. I actually had a good time. The weather was nice and I was shocked at how many were there for Dark Souls vs. Titanfall. A bunch of us traded Souls war stories and soon enough we had our copies and went on our way.

I've also found myself similarly floored at the environment design. I'm probably halfway though the game and the sheer variety/scope of the game has me shaking my head. The game is home to several of my favorite areas in any Souls game of which I won't mention here due to many not playing the game. I've also really enjoyed the rollercoaster ride in difficulty. Everytime you feel your character has become powerful enough to make things easy, a brand new set piece/enemy shows up that crushes your balls in true Souls fashion.

I would also STRONGLY recommend that someone play DaS1 before jumping into 2. You will have so much more of an appreciation for the callbacks and devious redesigns meant to throw you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I would also STRONGLY recommend that someone play DaS1 before jumping into 2. You will have so much more of an appreciation for the callbacks and devious redesigns meant to throw you off.

This is true. Dark Souls 2 is very much a sequel. I was expecting something closer to a Demon's Souls to Dark Souls relationship but it's much more direct.

• Locked thread