Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Centaur Warbutt
Bristlebutt
Buttling
Rubutt
Butt of Pain
Butt (this is Axe btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I never understood the generic names. I liked the LoL system of characters having actual name names. I mean, if you're going to give them a backstory and lore and an actual name in that lore, why give them a generic designation on top of that?

Also titles own and are way more memorable and cool than names. League comes off as dumb and flat when you're a giant sea monster man and you're just called Dave.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Buttvoker :eng101:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

Lyralei and Rylai are too easy to confuse.
Except Lyralei was originally Alleria anyway.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AXE COP posted:

Also titles own and are way more memorable and cool than names. League comes off as dumb and flat when you're a giant sea monster man and you're just called Dave.

The background of every LoL character looks like a signature from a forum in 2002. They're also shameless about giving huge tits and glowy eyes to everyone.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

AXE COP posted:

Unless you're Dave, the Meat-render.

LoL has titles for all the heroes, but they use the proper names. It just seemed weird to me to create lore for a character and then saddle them with a generic name.

And to everyone saying how hard it is to remember names. What are you, 4 years old? Do you go around calling everyone generic names all day? "Good morning Employees number one through three. It is I, Workforce Manager. Today we will be meeting with Company Owner and Company investor along with HR Director to speak about future plans."

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I never understood the generic names
As someone who hates fantasy poo poo, Sand King is a perfectly fine name for a thing that's basically just a character class.

Having a bunch of heroes called dumb stuff like "Krystalamos The Shard Queen" or whatever is lame and haggard to bits. Just call her SQ, it's much more convenient! (or Shart Queen if she's scary I guess, have that one in advance terrible BTS 'Bristlebro/Cancer Lancer' casters)

Even "Naix" is annoying if you're also dealing with a Nyx assassin on the same map.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!
Has anyone seen this?

I still would like to see someone attempt this playing only support role. I don't think it can be done.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Come on Hero, today we will be visiting Invoker and Female Archer

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Yardbomb posted:

ANTI-BUTT :mad:

It's obviously Butt-mage.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Buttless Void
Buttranger
Butt Maiden
Enigbutt

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
you've all forgotten Buttrider, the one who rides the butt.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Too easy to confuse Phantom Butt and Phantom Butt.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

Butt Lancer and Butt Assassin work better

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Just call him Butt Lancer.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

see also: Shadow Butt and Shadow Butt

And Shadow Butt too

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Has anyone seen this?

I still would like to see someone attempt this playing only support role. I don't think it can be done.
Why not?

Most games that I win as a support I feel like I contributed quite a bit to it and had a good day.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Soviet_Russia posted:

Butt Lancer and Butt Assassin work better

Which Butt Assassin? This is important!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Buttyx Assassin just barely works if you say it the right way :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Doltos posted:

The background of every LoL character looks like a signature from a forum in 2002. They're also shameless about giving huge tits and glowy eyes to everyone.

But if you don't oversexualize them, you can't tell they're female! :byodood:

(this is actually the argument their art team has used)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Balobam posted:

Which Butt Assassin? This is important!

There's only one Butt Assassin. The other is Phantom Butt.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

jBrereton posted:

Why not?

Most games that I win as a support I feel like I contributed quite a bit to it and had a good day.

Well yeah you can be instrumental in a win as a support sometimes but you do not nearly as much ability to make the impact that the other roles can make.

You can make perfect smoke ganks roaming. You can pull correctly. You can zone. You can deny. You can ward. These are all things that just create the opportunity for your teammate to take advantage, but if they are low skill level. They will miss easy CS in a zoned lane. Be asleep at the wheel during your gank. Walk into the enemy as soon as you step out of the lane to pull.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Has anyone seen this?

He makes a good point that in the 3500 - 4000 bracket it's easier to feed on the enemy team than it is for them to feed on yours. I think the hump that people need to get over to go from 4000 to 4500ish is the ability to recognize when you can kill someone alone and to go and do that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Why not?

I can at attest that 4k in solo queue via mostly support heroes is reachable. Captain's Mode/Captain's Draft helps out a lot in that regard tho.

The key is to be a baller as heck support that influences the game as soon as possible.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Has anyone seen this?

I went from 3400 to 4150 (so only a bit below him) playing practically only nyx, lion and ogre. Can be done.

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Unless you're Dave, the Meat-render.

LoL has titles for all the heroes, but they use the proper names. It just seemed weird to me to create lore for a character and then saddle them with a generic name.

And to everyone saying how hard it is to remember names. What are you, 4 years old? Do you go around calling everyone generic names all day? "Good morning Employees number one through three. It is I, Workforce Manager. Today we will be meeting with Company Owner and Company investor along with HR Director to speak about future plans."

Dota2 has names for all the heroes too, they just use the titles to keep parity with Dota.

For example, Keeper of the Light's name is Azalor, he has a voice line saying it and everything. He also addresses a lot of the female character by name in a creepy way.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zwiftef posted:

For example, Keeper of the Light's name is Azalor

Ezalor. :eng101:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lina, the Lina.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

HatfulOfHollow posted:

And so does Dota? They just sometimes use the title where it would roll off the tongue more easily (see: Riki vs. Stealth Assassin).

It's not like you ever see the titles in League anyway. For example I did not know until yesterday that Heimerdinger's full name is Cecil B. Heimerdinger the Revered Inventor.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AXE COP posted:

Cecil B. Heimerdinger the Revered Inventor.

For the record I will gladly take "Tinker" over that any day.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

Doltos posted:

He makes a good point that in the 3500 - 4000 bracket it's easier to feed on the enemy team than it is for them to feed on yours. I think the hump that people need to get over to go from 4000 to 4500ish is the ability to recognize when you can kill someone alone and to go and do that.

I find that in the 4k range after about the 10-13 minute mark the enemy team just becomes a roaming blob of 5 almost every time.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

AXE COP posted:

And so does Dota? They just sometimes use the title where it would roll off the tongue more easily (see: Riki vs. Stealth Assassin).

It's not like you ever see the titles in League anyway. For example I did not know until yesterday that Heimerdinger's full name is Cecil B. Heimerdinger the Revered Inventor.

Alowicious Chucat, The Goblin Tinker

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Zwiftef posted:

For example, Keeper of the Light's name is Azalor, he has a voice line saying it and everything. He also addresses a lot of the female character by name in a creepy way.

Part of the reason I play KOTL so much is because he hits on Lina and Luna and all of them.

Actually the only reason I play KOTL is because of illuminate, but there's many other perks.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Hitler, the Nature's Prophet.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Back in dota 1 my mild dyslexia made me think that sandking's name was pronounced Cry-Axe or Cry-Axis.

I thought he was screaming that ult that shook the ground.

Buttmancer

Ancient Butt

Abbabutt

Butt lord

Boom.

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 14, 2014

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Morphling has the best Name/Title combo.

Clinkz has the best joke name. Also the best translated name. Clinkz Eastwood the Brooklyn.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

Philosopher King posted:

Back in dota 1 my mild dyslexia made me think that sandking's name was pronounced Cry-Axe or Cry-Axis.

I thought he was screaming that ult that shook the ground.

I still automatically think "there's no soul stealer in this game" when people say "ss"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Chocolatebuddha posted:

I find that in the 4k range after about the 10-13 minute mark the enemy team just becomes a roaming blob of 5 almost every time.
They do, but at the same time you can edge ahead by defending 4v5 and having your carry farm.

I'm also coming up on 4k by playing a lot of supports. Sand king, crystal maiden, lich, they all work fine.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

For the record I will gladly take "Tinker" over that any day.

Boush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Has anyone seen this?

Why not? It might take a bit longer because you can end up in situations where you're throwing a pass your allies can't catch and it's more difficult to get hilariously out of control the way a fed highly mobile snowball hero can, but good play is good play.

• Locked thread