Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are there any wrestlers in WWF or WCW who got obvious, heinous plastic surgery in the 80's and 90's when facelifts were all the rage?

Greg Valentine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
And she (Chyna) was wise to do it. Ended up actually good looking.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Chyna got herself a completely new face

Yeah, exactly like that - are there any other examples? Male wrestlers?

I always thought HBK looked kind of different when he came back after losing his smile, but maybe that was just age. Hogan doesn't really look like he's had anything major done but I would think he'd be a prime candidate considering he was a mainstream celebrity in the 80's.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I feel like there would be a "tough guy" stigma among male wrestlers getting work like that done. The wrestlers would be travelling around with each other all the time, it's not like they could take a bunch of time off and come back with a new nose or whatever.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I feel like there would be a "tough guy" stigma among male wrestlers getting work like that done. The wrestlers would be travelling around with each other all the time, it's not like they could take a bunch of time off and come back with a new nose or whatever.

Would they laugh harder at the new nose guy at the tanning salon or while they were waxing their chests? I don't see much of a line between that stuff and elective plastic surgery (especially when people were more cavalier about it back then) considering how image-based the business is.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Would they laugh harder at the new nose guy at the tanning salon or while they were waxing their chests? I don't see much of a line between that stuff and elective plastic surgery (especially when people were more cavalier about it back then) considering how image-based the business is.

Okay I have no idea what they really do or don't think, but I could see the tanning and the waxing being part of "looking good for TV" and the surgery being "look at how vain this idiot is"

I'm not saying I'm right or it makes sense, I'm just saying that people can be completely unreasonable and they don't always follow things to their logical conclusion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are there any wrestlers in WWF or WCW who got obvious, heinous plastic surgery in the 80's and 90's when facelifts were all the rage?

Not heinous but Rock had surgery for gynecomastia shortly after Rock Bottom in 1998 (which is why he was wearing the track suit at Royal Rumble and St. Valentine's Day Massacre).

Pretty sure Buff Bagwell had work done.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

flashy_mcflash posted:

DX Tori got a facelift in real life to look more like Sable as part of her stalker gimmick

Probably one of the more extreme sacrifices made for a gimmick I can recall

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Would they laugh harder at the new nose guy at the tanning salon or while they were waxing their chests?
At the hair salon. They'd laugh so hard, bleach would shake off of their tips and land on their Zubaz.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Timby posted:

Not heinous but Rock had surgery for gynecomastia shortly after Rock Bottom in 1998 (which is why he was wearing the track suit at Royal Rumble and St. Valentine's Day Massacre).

Pretty sure Buff Bagwell had work done.

Bagwell had calf implants.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm pretty sure Bischoff has at least had Botox done. There were some segments on Raw where his forehead was utterly immobile.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Is it accurate to say Randy Savage was the clear #2 guy for most of the Hulkamania period?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ric Flair ended up looking like a completely different person, but he got his surgery (I mean... right? What else could've happened to his face?) in the early 2000s.

Before:

After:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Did Flair's surgery involve replacing all of his skin with cowhide leather?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe he fell off a wagon

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Did Flair's surgery involve replacing all of his skin with cowhide leather?

It's just so strange. He completely lost the ability to have facial expressions. I know guys age, but his facial change seemed to just come out of nowhere.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I always assumed that was just everything he'd done to his body catching up all at once, Dorian Gray style.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Splotchy, red, puffy. I dunno. He doesn't look that far off from Mickey Rourke, and he had a bad face job.

Edit: He also started slicking his hair back exclusively. Maybe it was hair-related. I've spent too much time looking at scary pictures of Ric Flair.

Red fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 14, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

DX Tori got a facelift in real life to look more like Sable as part of her stalker gimmick

Probably one of the more extreme sacrifices made for a gimmick I can recall

Goddamn I have never heard this story. And at the end of it, I don't remember her looking all that much like Sable.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Goddamn I have never heard this story. And at the end of it, I don't remember her looking all that much like Sable.

Yeah I've never heard that one either.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
It sounds kind of facetious. Like she wanted surgery for her nose anyway and it became 'she did it for the angle'.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Supreme Allah posted:

It sounds kind of facetious. Like she wanted surgery for her nose anyway and it became 'she did it for the angle'.

nice.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
She was in GLOW years before and people she worked with didn't even recognize her on TV when she joined WWE. I'll post before and after pics later.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Red posted:

Ric Flair ended up looking like a completely different person, but he got his surgery (I mean... right? What else could've happened to his face?) in the early 2000s.

Before:

After:

I don't think it actually counts as plastic surgery so much as scalpeling himself in the face all the time and pickling the rest of himself in alcohol.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Is it accurate to say Randy Savage was the clear #2 guy for most of the Hulkamania period?

He actually kind of fell off the radar during parts of it. Part of the problem of that era is that the main event revolved around Hogan so much and since they kept feeding him guys that there wasn't really an established #2. You had Hogan and whoever he was feuding with, and then any combination of mid-lower card guys involved in various feuds of various lengths on the undercard. Warrior eventually became the #2 guy built up for the match in Toronto but he managed to make himself such an annoyance that he didn't really stay up there very long.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Savage did the best Wrestlemania business with Hogan, but if you are looking at the period as a whole realistically it was Piper.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

MassRafTer posted:

Savage did the best Wrestlemania business with Hogan, but if you are looking at the period as a whole realistically it was Piper.

Piper, really, wow. I always had the impression he kind of fell off after WM 2.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Piper, really, wow. I always had the impression he kind of fell off after WM 2.

84-86 were really really big years, and Piper was a giant star during that time. It's hard to compare since Savage did really well on top after WM IV flopped, then didn't get another run on top until 1992 which was a really bad year, and there were more PPVs happening after Savage became a top guy. I think I'd favor Piper just because of how big he was as the top heel during the Hulkamania boom years, but Savage had a longer run on top (and was actually champion.) The same way Piper went down the card, Savage did tail off for a year or two when they tried to make Warrior the new Hogan.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
How big a risk was the first WrestleMania for Vince and the WWF? I always hear people say that he put all his eggs in that basket, but in what sense?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TL posted:

How big a risk was the first WrestleMania for Vince and the WWF? I always hear people say that he put all his eggs in that basket, but in what sense?

If it wasn't for Mr. T getting a ton of mainstream publicity during the last week the show was destined to flop and it would have meant the company going into bankruptcy. Meltzer brings up the poor advance and Mr. T saving the show when this comes up, but for something like this the media and publicity is going to come in that last week. So while the show would have bombed if it wasn't for that big rush at the end, it seems like the kind of situation that was always going to favor the big last week rather than frontloaded sales.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

MassRafTer posted:

84-86 were really really big years, and Piper was a giant star during that time. It's hard to compare since Savage did really well on top after WM IV flopped, then didn't get another run on top until 1992 which was a really bad year, and there were more PPVs happening after Savage became a top guy. I think I'd favor Piper just because of how big he was as the top heel during the Hulkamania boom years, but Savage had a longer run on top (and was actually champion.) The same way Piper went down the card, Savage did tail off for a year or two when they tried to make Warrior the new Hogan.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, so apologies, but why was he never world champion?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FakePoet posted:

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, so apologies, but why was he never world champion?

A combination of timing and the fact that Hogan wasn't about to job for Piper and probably vice versa. Roddy also retired for a while between 1988 I believe and about '92 or so to do movies, which, had he done things differently, would or could have been the time for WWE Champion Roddy Piper.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
He was NWA light heavyweight champ for 2 days when he won it from Chavo Guererro Sr.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FakePoet posted:

They weren't going to take the title off Hogan during that period and it didn't really make sense to. After that he never really figured into plans and was kind of hard to deal with, so it never made sense.

He was World Champion though, everyone who played WCW/nWo Revenge knows that!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, and then the whole debacle that was AGE IN A CAGE, where Piper probably should've been WCW champion, but wasn't.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's a testament to Roddy's promo skills and drawing power that he didn't need to be world champ to be important.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Roddy mentioned something like "I got a reputation as a guy who wouldn't do business" from the Mr. T match. Old Piper being Old Piper, he is vague on what the exact problem was, but apparently Mr. T was a mark/huge pain in the rear end/couldn't work at all and thought Piper was trying to hurt him. But as I said, it's unclear what the exact problem was. Can anyone shed light on that?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Roddy mentioned something like "I got a reputation as a guy who wouldn't do business" from the Mr. T match. Old Piper being Old Piper, he is vague on what the exact problem was, but apparently Mr. T was a mark/huge pain in the rear end/couldn't work at all and thought Piper was trying to hurt him. But as I said, it's unclear what the exact problem was. Can anyone shed light on that?

Listen to the Austin podcast with Piper. Just do it. He goes into this in detail and it's just a fantastic interview.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Or the Outlaws and Renegades roundtable. On that Piper basically says he took it upon himself to "protect the business" by shooting on him because that's what you did with outsiders that came in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

epitasis posted:

Or the Outlaws and Renegades roundtable. On that Piper basically says he took it upon himself to "protect the business" by shooting on him because that's what you did with outsiders that came in.

Yeah that's where I first came upon this. I didn't find his explanation of events very clear, though.