Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I noticed in the OP there is a link to a sousvide guide on the iphone. Unfortunately I have a droid and such a guide doesn't exist. My anova arrived today and I was hoping to find a good webpage guide/easy to use droid app that contains all relevant temperature and cook times for various types of foods?
I usually just use Google - <ingredient> modernist cuisine

There may be an app but there are multiple possible temperatures for each food (that, in some cases, can significantly vary in outcome) so it's good to see the context around the dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Awesome thank you! Any recommendations on a good cut of beef to try and sous vide for the first time?

Also for this website, I'm assuming this is assuming the meat is not frozen correct but room temperature or how does it work, because wouldn't the temperature of the meat affect the cook time?

Most times refer to cooking the food straight out of the refrigerator. From frozen, add an additional 30 minutes per inch of thickness. For longer cook times, it all works out in the end.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Safety Dance posted:

Most times refer to cooking the food straight out of the refrigerator. From frozen, add an additional 30 minutes per inch of thickness. For longer cook times, it all works out in the end.

Awesome thank you very much! I'm thinking about picking up filet mignon, is this a good or bad idea? Would a ribeye or new york be better for my first time?

edit: Also on this cool little site, I notice it doesn't say how well it cooks the meat. Is it safe to assume for beef most of those temperatures are medium?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I saw earlier in this thread (or maybe it was a different thread) that you can get 1000 vacuum bags for something like $30. Does anyone know where this is at, my searching has come up empty.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Go with ribeye or strip steaks. You'll get better flavor for a lot cheaper. And most temperatures are safe consumption, except for things with a broad range, like beef. For medium rare, shoot for 130-135. There's a little variation in that range, but I find it pretty much idea.

EDIT: Crap, this was in reply to ScienceAndMusic's post. That'll teach me not to quote.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

dalstrs posted:

I saw earlier in this thread (or maybe it was a different thread) that you can get 1000 vacuum bags for something like $30. Does anyone know where this is at, my searching has come up empty.

Costco and other big warehouse stores usually sell big foodsaver box packs for the lowest prices.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Sous vide is particularly impressive for cheaper cuts. I really like flank steak done at 131 for 24 hours. Comes out as tender as a filet for less than half the cost. More flavor too.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Sous vide is particularly impressive for cheaper cuts. I really like flank steak done at 131 for 24 hours. Comes out as tender as a filet for less than half the cost. More flavor too.

This. I have done flank steaks 3 separate times and it always comes out amazing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I bet chuck steak would work really well too. There's usually a lot of fat & connective tissue so a longer cook would hopefully melt it down into buttery deliciousness.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

dalstrs posted:

uline.com?

Edit: These are generally not the food saver type ones, but the chamber style. Food saver style ones are quite a bit more expensive than this (as in 10x).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

This is totally wrong, cook time does not vary linearly with thickness.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Awesome thank you very much! I'm thinking about picking up filet mignon, is this a good or bad idea? Would a ribeye or new york be better for my first time?

edit: Also on this cool little site, I notice it doesn't say how well it cooks the meat. Is it safe to assume for beef most of those temperatures are medium?

Filet is a silly meat to use for your first time, because it is super lean and all you need to do is get it up to temp. It does not provide a significant benefit sous vide over a grill or pan. I would do shortrib or ribeye. Lamb shoulder or Turkey would both be better demonstrations of sous-vide.

The doneness depends on what temperature you set it at, like so:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ribeye's an interesting cut of beef, as you're trying to hit a very specific temperature and you don't want to go over or under. It's more like fish than most red meat that way, as with most beef you either a.) don't care if it's raw in the middle or b.) it's tough enough that you'd rather hold it for a while.

It's a good beef for the first-time puddler, as you get a unique effect without having to hold it for very long. Other options include pork loin, lamb loin, and white fish.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This is totally wrong, cook time does not vary linearly with thickness.

As a rule of thumb shamelessly stolen from the SVSuprime website, it works ok. Are you frequently cooking very thick frozen cuts of meat?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

MrEnigma posted:

uline.com?

Edit: These are generally not the food saver type ones, but the chamber style. Food saver style ones are quite a bit more expensive than this (as in 10x).

Brand doesn't matter to me, would these work with a foods aver type device though?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I saw these earlier on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063HZVBC/

It looks like they'll work with Foodsavers.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

So I tend to like my meat medium erring on the side of rarer but not quite medium-rare. So should I cook the ribeye at 145 F for like an hour? Sorry for all these terrible questions but this seems to be the place for answers and I could burn a bowl of cereal my cooking is so bad.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Shadowhand00 posted:

I saw these earlier on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063HZVBC/

It looks like they'll work with Foodsavers.

You underestimate my laziness. I'm hoping to find the premade bags.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Filet is a silly meat to use for your first time, because it is super lean and all you need to do is get it up to temp. It does not provide a significant benefit sous vide over a grill or pan. I would do shortrib or ribeye. Lamb shoulder or Turkey would both be better demonstrations of sous-vide.
Beef shortribs are one of the go-to showcase applications for sous vide because of Keller, but really I think duck breast is way up on the holy-poo poo-dig-that scale. And really eggs, but I don't think they're quite the kind of crowd pleaser you want if you're trying to justify to your spouse the couple hundred bucks you just dropped on a dildo that makes water lukewarm. Nah, honey, this Hollandaise was way the gently caress easier to make than usual. poo poo's tight, yo.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

As a rule of thumb shamelessly stolen from the SVSuprime website, it works ok. Are you frequently cooking very thick frozen cuts of meat?

I am not, but sous vide stuff is something that is more dangerous than almost every other form if cookery if done wrong so maybe we shouldn't give bad unqualified advice in this thread?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I tend to like my meat medium erring on the side of rarer but not quite medium-rare. So should I cook the ribeye at 145 F for like an hour? Sorry for all these terrible questions but this seems to be the place for answers and I could burn a bowl of cereal my cooking is so bad.

Try something lower, maybe 130-132*.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/03/dry-aged-sous-vide-torched-and-seared-bone-in-ribeye-recipe.html

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I made this last night:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/white-rice-with-slow-cooked-egg-and-furikake.html

It was pretty fantastic:

There is an egg under that furikake.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I like my ribeye solidly medium rare and I got my best results at 134-135°F for 2 hours. 145 sounds pretty high, I saw a pretty big difference between 132 and 135.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I am not, but sous vide stuff is something that is more dangerous than almost every other form if cookery if done wrong so maybe we shouldn't give bad unqualified advice in this thread?

:rolleyes: Yes, vizzling is literally on par with whipping up some fugu after watching a couple of videos on youtube.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

:rolleyes: Yes, vizzling is literally on par with whipping up some fugu after watching a couple of videos on youtube.
Vizzling a frozen raw turkey is a bad idea... The idea that food heats linearly with thickness is probably bad advice as well...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Safety Dance posted:

:rolleyes: Food saftey.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Like, if you want to roll the dice that's fine, it's your life, but it's sort of this thread's job to make sure we aren't telling each other things that aren't true

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 15, 2014

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Has anyone tried contacting Anova support? My Anova's touch screen stopped responding, so I called Anova and they said that they'd send me a FedEx label to ship it back to get repaired. This was Monday and I still haven't received anything (I sent a few follow-up e-mails). I'm annoyed but if their support has been great for other people I'll cut them some slack.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

turing_test posted:

Has anyone tried contacting Anova support? My Anova's touch screen stopped responding, so I called Anova and they said that they'd send me a FedEx label to ship it back to get repaired. This was Monday and I still haven't received anything (I sent a few follow-up e-mails). I'm annoyed but if their support has been great for other people I'll cut them some slack.

Zero problems and fast response here. I emailed them about something and the next day had an apology email and a return label emailed to me.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I did a ribeye at 132F and let it bath for 1 and 1/2 hours. Then I seared it for a minute on each side. But unfortunately it was just too rare for me so next time I'm gonna try 142F, but thanks everyone for the help!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just did corned beef at 165 for 24 hours and holy loving poo poo loving jesus titty loving christ.

I'm gunna go buy like 30 pounds of brisket for the rest of the year.

It's much more red, my cell phone sucks at pictures.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 15, 2014

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
One of the Chef Steps guys said that they cook their meat almost exclusively from frozen because apparently it loses less moisture that way. His words: "Cooking straight from frozen seems to allow muscle foods to reach the point where the proteins begin to gel sooner, trapping water and preventing drip loss during cooking. Slow thawing allows more time for ice crystals to continue to do their damage."

He does not recommend a time (because as mentioned there is not "a" time) but Douglas Baldwin has an approximate table for raising frozen meats to 1F less than the water baths temp in his "tender meat" section. By this table a 30mm (~1.1") steak would take 2 1/4 hours to go from frozen to within 1 degree F of the bath's temperature. The pasteurization time for the same piece of meat is 3 hours at 131F. One would assume that if you want to truly pasteurize to core than you would have to wait the 2 1/4 hours for the core to come to temp and then 3 hours for pasteurization. However, the math behind these tables assumes that specific heat, conductivity, and density are constant. There's an inherent difficulty in calculating pasteurization times from frozen because during the phase change from ice to water the heat conductivity is less reliable than it would be with thawed meat, where it is fairly constant. I think he used to have some more info on pasteurizing frozen meat but upon testing found the models were not as reliable and has taken them down but I could be remembering that wrong.

It's definitely possible and even probable that it can be done safely but I would personally be more comfortable monitoring the center with a probe thermometer until it came to temperature and then following the FDA pasteurization guidelines for whatever temp I was shooting for (http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/RetailFoodProtection/FoodCode/ucm186451.htm#part3-4) or serving immediately if I did not want pasteurization (e.g. fish and very rare meat). If you don't reach 131F in four hours then I wouldn't eat it but in all likelihood that probably won't be an issue unless you're cooking some huge roast.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Sansaire chose the absolute worst parcel company in Europe (Parcelforce / GLS). According to the trace, mine's been stuck in a holding pen for the past 3 days. Grrrrrrrrrr.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

granpa yum posted:

It's definitely possible and even probable that it can be done safely but I would personally be more comfortable monitoring the center with a probe thermometer until it came to temperature and then following the FDA pasteurization guidelines for whatever temp I was shooting for (http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/RetailFoodProtection/FoodCode/ucm186451.htm#part3-4) or serving immediately if I did not want pasteurization (e.g. fish and very rare meat). If you don't reach 131F in four hours then I wouldn't eat it but in all likelihood that probably won't be an issue unless you're cooking some huge roast.

There are plenty of references that argue that the FDA guidelines make no sense. What they want you to perform a 6.5D reduction which can be done at lower temps (thus the pasteurization charts).

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Any suggestions for temp/time on horse meat? I've got a friend who has 2kg of thinly sliced (think Korean BBQ sized) horse meat. She's going to use some to make a Croatian dish called "zgvacet" but has offered to let me cook some sous vide. Any suggestions?

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Breadnought posted:

Any suggestions for temp/time on horse meat? I've got a friend who has 2kg of thinly sliced (think Korean BBQ sized) horse meat. She's going to use some to make a Croatian dish called "zgvacet" but has offered to let me cook some sous vide. Any suggestions?

SV is not worth it for thinly sliced meats (less than 0.5 inch/12mm). You're much better off searing it off Korean BBQ style than SVing it because you will just end up cooking it the same anyways.

On an unrelated note...I cooked at top round steak at 135 for 24 hours with salt and a 5 pepper blend. The outside of the steak was mostly pond scum green. Was this due to some sort of color transfer from the green peppercorns? It did not smell or taste bad in any way.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

Plinkey posted:

I just did corned beef at 165 for 24 hours and holy loving poo poo loving jesus titty loving christ.

Did you get a corned beef or make the brine yourself? I am very interested in trying this, and have a 10 lb brisket right now ready to be broken down.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Plinkey posted:

I did mine at 135 for 36 hours, pretty great stuff. I used the pre-brined/seasoned package you get at the store. I removed the corned beef, rinsed it with water, patted dry, added the small additional spice packet it came with, and vacuum sealed. If you cook it in the liquid it comes in, it will turn out super salty. Lower temps (ie 135) should be more moist, whlie higher temps (ie 165) should be more tender, according to what I've read. I went ahead and bought a second slab after the first turned out so well. I'm going to see if the price drops after St. Patty's and maybe stock up on some.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Pork tenderloin (2.5h @ 137F) with a hoisin garlic sauce... Turned out really great.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

My father has a heart issue so he can't really have beef or anything that is too fatty. He has to stick to lean meats. I really want to cook him something using Sous-Vide so I was wondering if anyone had any killer dish suggestions for a meat that isn't bad for his poor heart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ScienceAndMusic posted:

My father has a heart issue so he can't really have beef or anything that is too fatty. He has to stick to lean meats. I really want to cook him something using Sous-Vide so I was wondering if anyone had any killer dish suggestions for a meat that isn't bad for his poor heart?

Fish, Chicken, Turkey, Lean Pork, its all good. What is his favorite meat that he can eat?