Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

They sold literally dozens of those Ralliarts, you'll never get parts for it ever, even if Mitsubishi doesn't pull out of the market entirely and you lived next to one of the 6 dealers they have across the country.

Consider the Buick Lacrosse AWD? It's probably not substantially better than the Taurus in any way but it does have a longer warranty and GM's general build quality is marginally better than Ford's these days. If you don't need such a big car a Fusion or a Legacy can be had, and a non-turbo CVT Legacy should be pretty reliable.

Unfortunately there's isn't much selection for used Lacrosse's in my area. (Thanks auto trader!); I initially liked the Fusion; but I can't find a used AWD model within the province. Brand new is $33,000 which it more than I am willing to spend.

It never even crossed my mind to look at new Subaru's, I thought they would have defiantly been out of my price range.

*CVT you mean automatic, correct? Or is there a model/package option I am missing?*

Evilpiggie fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

nwin posted:

Great info-Thank you! I read some of the edmunds reviews and I see plenty of the 'people either love or hate My Ford Touch'. Admittedly, we didn't play with it that much save for changing the radio station and the a/c temp, but it worked fine for the few minutes we were test driving. Might go and test drive another and have the wife really try and mess with the system, though. I am glad to know that software updates are easy enough...so you're saying you can download it yourself to a thumb drive and install them when software updates come? I'll google how to check for the latest version, but I just want to make sure if we buy one, we won't have to bring the car in for every update on our dime...

We are looking at the V6 and I figured as much about MPG. One thing though-I'm looking at a used 2WD to save some money/maintenance costs. We'll be living in New England and I plan on buying some decent all season tires at the least. If we get decent tires, will the 2wd hinder us at all? Keep in mind that we will never ever go off road.

Yeah, you can download the update files to a USB thumbdrive and install them yourself. Ford actually sent out 2GB Thumbdrives to everyone at one point with the latest software preloaded.

I'm the wrong person to ask about cold weather and snow. I've spent the last 16 years of my life living in either Arizona or South Texas. The farthest North I've ever lived is Topeka which only gets 2 or 3 decent snows a year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

nwin posted:

Great info-Thank you! I read some of the edmunds reviews and I see plenty of the 'people either love or hate My Ford Touch'. Admittedly, we didn't play with it that much save for changing the radio station and the a/c temp, but it worked fine for the few minutes we were test driving. Might go and test drive another and have the wife really try and mess with the system, though. I am glad to know that software updates are easy enough...so you're saying you can download it yourself to a thumb drive and install them when software updates come? I'll google how to check for the latest version, but I just want to make sure if we buy one, we won't have to bring the car in for every update on our dime...

We are looking at the V6 and I figured as much about MPG. One thing though-I'm looking at a used 2WD to save some money/maintenance costs. We'll be living in New England and I plan on buying some decent all season tires at the least. If we get decent tires, will the 2wd hinder us at all? Keep in mind that we will never ever go off road.

Just get snow tires for the winter and nice low rolling resistance tires for the summer. All-seasons are really three-season tires.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Evilpiggie posted:

Unfortunately there's isn't much selection for used Lacrosse's in my area. (Thanks auto trader!); I initially liked the Fusion; but I can't find a used AWD model within the province. Brand new is $33,000 which it more than I am willing to spend.

It never even crossed my mind to look at new Subaru's, I thought they would have defiantly been out of my price range.

*CVT you mean automatic, correct? Or is there a model/package option I am missing?*

Yes, the cvts are automatics. They are a certain kind and on the subarus they get better mpg than the regular autos and sticks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm graduating in a few months and will be needing a car (until now I've just bummed rides off a roommate. :v:)

Proposed Budget: Ideally around $8-10k. I can theoretically push as far as $14k but I'd rather not. My biggies is I don't want to deal with car loans: just want to fork over the cash and be done with it.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: Ideally four door, but two door is fine as well. Compact/Mid-sized sedan are fine, full-sized is pushing it.
How will you be using the car?: Grocery shopping and driving to and from the train station about 10 minutes away each morning. Once a year I may need it to drive up from the Bay Area to the Seattle area.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not really, it has to be automatic though since I never learned to drive stick.
What aspects are most important to you? In descending order of importance: Reliability > MPG > Maintenance costs > everything else.

I've been looking at the usual selection of used Civics, but any suggestions would be awesome.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sydin posted:

I'm graduating in a few months and will be needing a car (until now I've just bummed rides off a roommate. :v:)

Proposed Budget: Ideally around $8-10k. I can theoretically push as far as $14k but I'd rather not. My biggies is I don't want to deal with car loans: just want to fork over the cash and be done with it.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: Ideally four door, but two door is fine as well. Compact/Mid-sized sedan are fine, full-sized is pushing it.
How will you be using the car?: Grocery shopping and driving to and from the train station about 10 minutes away each morning. Once a year I may need it to drive up from the Bay Area to the Seattle area.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not really, it has to be automatic though since I never learned to drive stick.
What aspects are most important to you? In descending order of importance: Reliability > MPG > Maintenance costs > everything else.

I've been looking at the usual selection of used Civics, but any suggestions would be awesome.

Find yourself the newest, nicest used Prius you're comfortable buying and be done with it. They've proven exceptionally reliable driving appliances.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Unfortunately, there seems to be pretty slim picking in my area, for my given price range. Most of the ones around are 08' or 07' models, and according to Consumer Reports any model older than 10' has big problems with engine cooling and electrical systems. I'll try to keep on the look out though. How much does it cost to maintain one? I don't actually know anybody who owns a hybrid.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Priusii... Priuses? Do not have big problems.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sydin posted:

Unfortunately, there seems to be pretty slim picking in my area, for my given price range. Most of the ones around are 08' or 07' models, and according to Consumer Reports any model older than 10' has big problems with engine cooling and electrical systems. I'll try to keep on the look out though. How much does it cost to maintain one? I don't actually know anybody who owns a hybrid.

No they don't. They just have more problems there than everywhere else as no where else has a problem.
Oh and the colling problem is a waterpump that cracks slightly and leaks very occasionally. It is a fairly cheap, one time fix.

The Gen II prius is basically the most reliable car ever built.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

nm posted:

No they don't. They just have more problems there than everywhere else as no where else has a problem.
Oh and the colling problem is a waterpump that cracks slightly and leaks very occasionally. It is a fairly cheap, one time fix.

The Gen II prius is basically the most reliable car ever built.

Ah, okay then. In that case I'll do a little more hunting around. Thanks!

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
Proposed Budget: Approximately $5-$10k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Needs to be a four door and have a lot of boot space
How will you be using the car?: transporting children all over the countryside, possibly travelling 200k's a day
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, I currently have a Honda Jazz and with two small kids I find I don't have any space I can't fit a passenger what little boot there is is taken up by strollers. I also might have to highway drive it 200 k's round trip

I am also in Australia

nm
Jan 28, 2008

You, like 90% of this thread (the other part needs high HP wagons), need a prius if it is big enough. Otherwise, a v8 wagon. turbo 6 is fine too, but probably a prius.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Proposed Budget: 2-3k, looking for a semi-reliable beater as suggested in the OP (wouldn't mind suggestions for a little more or less)
Body Style: Doesn't matter.
How will you be using the car?: Like a loser without much in the way of friends, possessions, or reasons to live.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, mpg, maintenance. Economics.

Midwest US

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Look at the first generation ford focus. The zetec and pzev(2.3) are both good engines.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

Proposed Budget: Approximately $5-$10k
Body Style: Needs to be a four door and have a lot of boot space
How will you be using the car?: transporting children all over the countryside, possibly travelling 200k's a day
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, I currently have a Honda Jazz and with two small kids I find I don't have any space I can't fit a passenger what little boot there is is taken up by strollers. I also might have to highway drive it 200 k's round trip

I am also in Australia

Do you get the Ford C-Max or S-Max?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

nm posted:

You, like 90% of this thread (the other part needs high HP wagons), need a prius if it is big enough. Otherwise, a v8 wagon. turbo 6 is fine too, but probably a prius.

Wife's twin turbo inline 6 wagon agrees. 300bhp and AWD on a wagon is awesome.

I did order a new car for me, and the twin turbo v8 was the winning engine. I did a bunch of test drives but my old thread was long dead due to real life distractions and challenges.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If your new car isn't a 550i GT then you are just like every other rear end in a top hat here who comes in asking for advice to ignore.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I personally don't much need a V8 (the most powerful vehicle I've ever driven was my uncle's 4.0 Wrangler) but a wagon is a definite must. I'd be fine with 150hp or so.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

If your new car isn't a 550i GT then you are just like every other rear end in a top hat here who comes in asking for advice to ignore.

Never claimed I was special. On paper the GT was the clear winner. A few things meant I ordered the sedan instead. Most strangely, the geometry, the angles, of how the steering column came out of the dash in the GT meant that at any comfortable seating position the steering wheel was angled upwards, like driving a bus. I probably spent 3-4 hours test driving various GTs and could never get comfortable with both seat and steering wheel at the same time. That was the deal breaker.
Other differences between the sedan and the GT added up as well. The sport version of the transmission isn't on the GT and it was notably different in comparison drives. Even when driving both a GT and sedan with the same suspension and transmission, the GT showed it's higher weight and center of gravity; body roll on the GT was really significant, and compared with some of the optional sedan extras undesirable, even in non-spirited driving.

Lastly, the GT never made me smile. Not once. I went in predisposed towards the GT and my actual experiences sitting in and driving them convinced me otherwise.

This thread was why I went and seeked out so many examples of so many cars, and even once I knew it was going to be a BMW starting with 5, I drove every permutation and found every option to see in person.

No, I didn't necro my thread with lots of words over what was best, or which of the eight deals I worked was best. In your eyes I had already lost and chose poorly, even though I actually listened and looked and examined and decided with great care.

Maybe this thread should be closed and left with a single post, instructing readers to purchase the newest used Prius they can afford and then to get the best cheap Miata they can afford for something fun.

This reader at least appreciated the dialog about something different.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ultimate Mango posted:

Never claimed I was special. On paper the GT was the clear winner. A few things meant I ordered the sedan instead. Most strangely, the geometry, the angles, of how the steering column came out of the dash in the GT meant that at any comfortable seating position the steering wheel was angled upwards, like driving a bus. I probably spent 3-4 hours test driving various GTs and could never get comfortable with both seat and steering wheel at the same time. That was the deal breaker.
Other differences between the sedan and the GT added up as well. The sport version of the transmission isn't on the GT and it was notably different in comparison drives. Even when driving both a GT and sedan with the same suspension and transmission, the GT showed it's higher weight and center of gravity; body roll on the GT was really significant, and compared with some of the optional sedan extras undesirable, even in non-spirited driving.

Lastly, the GT never made me smile. Not once. I went in predisposed towards the GT and my actual experiences sitting in and driving them convinced me otherwise.

This thread was why I went and seeked out so many examples of so many cars, and even once I knew it was going to be a BMW starting with 5, I drove every permutation and found every option to see in person.

No, I didn't necro my thread with lots of words over what was best, or which of the eight deals I worked was best. In your eyes I had already lost and chose poorly, even though I actually listened and looked and examined and decided with great care.

Maybe this thread should be closed and left with a single post, instructing readers to purchase the newest used Prius they can afford and then to get the best cheap Miata they can afford for something fun.

This reader at least appreciated the dialog about something different.

What, this glorious rear end didn't make you smile even once?

I think you just need to lighten up a bit. :colbert:

EDIT: Well that sure is a wall of text explaining all the reasons not to buy a 5 series GT. :stare:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 14, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Throatwarbler posted:

What, this glorious rear end didn't make you smile even once?

I think you just need to lighten up a bit. :colbert:

EDIT: Well that sure is a wall of text explaining all the reasons not to buy a 5 series GT. :stare:

I've never seen a car that looked like it was trying to force out a really stubborn poo poo but here we are.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So looking at the explorers again. Some have a tow package while others don't. What's that really consist of? If it's just the fact they put the hitch on for you, it looks like uhaul will do that for around 350, including wiring, etc. yet, it's about 1-2000 extra usually as an option I think. I noticed something about an engine oil cooler-so should I not bother installing a hitch without this?

Bottom line-how much would I be looking at spending if I bought a used one without the tow package and wanted to be able to tow a trailer? (Small uhaul trailer).

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 14, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

IRQ posted:

I've never seen a car that looked like it was trying to force out a really stubborn poo poo but here we are.

The 4 Gran Coupé on the other hand is dead sexy. I can't seem to find a picture of a similar angle though with the hatch open.

In any case I hope for innovation in the wagon/hatch space. Back to your regularly scheduled Prius recommendations.

/derail

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

So looking at the explorers again. Some have a tow package while others don't. What's that really consist of? If it's just the fact they put the hitch on for you, it looks like uhaul will do that for around 350, including wiring, etc. yet, it's about 1-2000 extra usually as an option I think. I noticed something about an engine oil cooler-so should I not bother installing a hitch without this?

Bottom line-how much would I be looking at spending if I bought a used one without the tow package and wanted to be able to tow a trailer? (Small uhaul trailer).

Ford towing packages are typically more than just a hitch. They include the wiring (which you will get in some form from a Uhaul install....it may be a lovely job though). Transmission cooler is always a good idea and will come with it. You may also get a trailer brake (or just trailer brake wiring), which will not be necessary for a small UHaul. Often towing packages will come with different/heavier suspension. This may or may not apply depending on which (general truck package) you are getting to begin with.

Ask the dealer or, better yet, check it out on Ford web site. That will tell you what you're getting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I swear I'm not repeat posting this time :v:

Posting this for my mother, who is 55, has a semipermanently injured back, and is tired of her ten-years-owned 2002 Corolla (with only 80k on it).

Proposed Budget: I'm guessing $28k thereabouts$25k--she doesn't like thinking about sticker, but month-to-month instead :(
New or Used: New or certified used
Body Style: Not picky, long as it's not a truck or SUV or similar
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute mostly, about 30mi/day total
What aspects are most important to you? She wants to be able to get in and out comfortably and easily on her back, so something that sits higher (which sort of runs against "not truck or SUV" a little bit, I know). Road comfort is otherwise #1, reliability is #2, and mileage is #3. A nav system would be OK, but a computerized audio system would probably be a minus, she gets frustrated fast with tech-y stuff.

She says she wants to look at the "VW Tiguan and Honda Crosstour" tomorrow. Can't really look em up right now from work so I know dick all about them.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 15, 2014

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
My dad drives a 2011 V6 FWD Crosstour with the Nav package. It's comfy, plenty of power and fits a lot of stuff. It is fairly large, it is a little higher than an Accord and probably a little longer. The visiblity out of the rear is kind of bad, but you get used to it. I think the audio system is still all buttons and knobs, I figured it out pretty quickly. It is possible the new ones have a different setup.

The mileage is decent, but I haven't asked him what hes been getting lately. He also got his for a steal, the dealership couldn't sell them.

It is also pretty big, it will feel huge coming from a 2002 Corolla.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, your mom is basically the target demographic for the Crosstour or even better the Toyota Venza. A new Venza pushes the budget, but if you take some time and look you might be able to score a CPO model.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If she doesn't want a truck or SUV then I don't see a need for something like the Crosstour or Venza since both are fairly large vehicles - The Crosstour is the same length as a Range Rover.

They actually make vehicles specially for "old people who want to sit a bit higher and a nice interior but don't want a huge vehicle".

...and by all accounts they are flying off the lots.

Also consider the Subaru XV and Nissan Juke which are similar vehicles (well the Juke is a bit odd looking).

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

So I'm looking at buying a new car in the $6~$10k range, and found a listing for an 07 Prius Touring Edition with 67k on it... for $7,000. It's supposedly certified from a dealer, and the VIN didn't pop up as having been written off or stolen... Is it right to have a bunch of mental red flags popping up?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks, all. Gotta revise my guessed budget, though, she wants to stay at $25k now that I've had a chance to ask her. She likes the Venza but that pushes it :(

(edit) She also rather likes the Buick Encore, wants to try it too tomorrow. Thanks :)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 15, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks, all. Gotta revise my guessed budget, though, she wants to stay at $25k now that I've had a chance to ask her. She likes the Venza but that pushes it :(

Consider a used Highlander? They're cheaper than the Venza but are kinda the same thing for your needs - it's basically a tall Camry. My dad had one when he could still walk on crutches, and they're pretty easy to get in and out of if that's an issue.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't understand by someone who has been getting along fine with a Corolla now suddenly needs a 7 seater van just because she wants to sit a little higher. The Encore has class leading NVH(it's a Buick) and gets 33mpg.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/14/2013-buick-encore-review/

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) She also rather likes the Buick Encore, wants to try it too tomorrow. Thanks :)

Crosstour starts at $27k, and at least in my dad's city they could not move them. I think final sticker for him was $27k, down from 33kish, it had sat on the lot for a year.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

We've been looking around, and she's driven the Encore. Didn't like it, felt too restricted view both rear and front, she says. She really likes the Tiguron, though--we're looking at a 2014 CPO, one up from the base trim level, 9k miles, leased 7 months, 22991 on the sticker.

I'm a rubbish negotiator though, so talking numbers is gonna be kind of tough. I figure most I can ask for is them to cover registration.

(edit) She decided to go forward on it, so we agreed on 22,500 plus registration paid for. I'm gonna assume that's not that great, but she doesn't like negotiations either and she was extremely impressed with the car, so hey yo.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 15, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Does that include VW's Carefree maintenance, or does that not transfer? Carefree is pretty nice, free oil filter wipers etc for the first 3/36 I believe.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The first service for that was used already, so she's getting one freebie under Carefree in the next couple years. Other than that it's an extra 24k miles CPO coverage for $50 deductible on major work, so she's pretty well covered all the way to 60k, it seems.

She's very happy, and she wanted me to say thank you to all of you for the other recommendations, even though she didn't settle on them it was a big help to know the score :)

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Found a guy who sells decommissioned police cars and flips them/turns them into taxis. Is this as ridiculously sketchy as it sounds? He runs an actual shop, and i was refereed by a frequent customer who used to run his own taxi company.

Bloodyshinta1 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 16, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Found a guy who sells decommissioned police cars and flips them/turns them into taxis. Is this as ridiculously sketchy as it sounds? He runs an actual shop, and i was refereed by a frequent customer who used to run his own taxi company.

Sketchy in what sense?

If you want to buy a cheap car that has a rubber/pleather interior and has spent a lot of time idling and getting beat on, but has likely been kept up on oil changes getting a retired crown vic isn't a bad plan. Taxi companies buy them because they are reliable, the right size, and stupid easy to work on. People sell them because people buy them.

Nobody can say if the shop you found is "shady" or if buying something like that is the right idea for you as we have zero information.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Motronic posted:

Sketchy in what sense?

If you want to buy a cheap car that has a rubber/pleather interior and has spent a lot of time idling and getting beat on, but has likely been kept up on oil changes getting a retired crown vic isn't a bad plan. Taxi companies buy them because they are reliable, the right size, and stupid easy to work on. People sell them because people buy them.

Nobody can say if the shop you found is "shady" or if buying something like that is the right idea for you as we have zero information.

Ok well it is nice to hear that it is not super shady up front. I figured as much honestly, why would taxis use them if they weren't reliable? One guy I talked to said they would be lovely on gas millage but if they are reliable cars then that wouldn't be too much of an issue, I don't plan to have an hour commute every day or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Ok well it is nice to hear that it is not super shady up front. I figured as much honestly, why would taxis use them if they weren't reliable? One guy I talked to said they would be lovely on gas millage but if they are reliable cars then that wouldn't be too much of an issue, I don't plan to have an hour commute every day or anything.

Cops, generally, keep their fleets well maintained. Their castoffs could have high mileage from some highway cop but were looked after real well, or could be old and sat idling at a toll plaza 20 hours per day but have no miles on it, or it could have been a city beat car that got rode hard and put away wet. That's up to you to figure out. You could do worse if what you're looking for is a cheap but reliable shitheap to beat into the ground; the parts and maintenance is cheap. But nobody's going to want to buy it off you. As ex-fleet cars go, the cops are relatively good.