Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Speleothing posted:

Okay, wnt through my contacts on this and I don't know any cavers in the Bay Area well enough to give you a reference. My West Coast peeps are in San Diego and Oregon. But you can probably find yourself a newbie trip through this link:

http://www.nssio.org/find_grotto_overview.cfm?state=CA

I'll check it out. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for restoring wet down? My basement flooded and I had my 0 degree down bag stored in a big box so that it wouldnt be all compressed. Of course it got wet and there are baseball sized clumps in the baffles now.

I would throw it in a giant dryer per REI

Drying
Air drying is the safest way to dry your bag, but obviously the longest. If you tumble dry your bag, use very low heat or a no-heat setting and keep an eye on it. Dryers have varying heat outputs, so you need to check periodically to make sure the shell and insulation aren't overheating, which can actually lead to melting. Add a couple of clean tennis balls when the bag is nearly dry. This will help break up any clumps of insulation and help restore the loft.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I've completely hosed up a down sleeping bag while washing/drying it even while trying to obey directions. Be extremely gentle with them and don't just use your old home washer/dryer thinking "What's the worst that could happen?"

Here's some good advice:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/info/index.jsp?categoryId=400039

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

alnilam posted:

Question for the "I backpack in light trail runners that aren't waterproof at all and they dry real fast" people:

If something has leather in the upper, like this Teva Kimtah shoe, will it dry quickly-ish if I walk through a stream?

I know some of you hike in super light shoes and obviously this won't dry as fast as those. I'm just working on moving away from GTX cause it inevitably gets wet and dries slow as gently caress. And as I posted before, I'm trying to find a shoe that fits this bill that is also at least halfway not-weird looking in a city/casual work environment. These Tevas look pretty good for all this except for the leather in the upper, so I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it.

edit: gently caress, just noticed it has "waterproof membranes" involved that are probably just off-brand goretex. Nevermind.

edit2:
but I'd ask the same question for a shoe like this or this, basically a shoe without goretex but that has leather involved

Those shoes will be heavy and wet and soggy and gross for hours and hours and hours. Leather is just plain bad for getting wet.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Goretex actually breathes fuckall so I just have a pair of light salomon shoes and a pair of leather waterproof hikers. Untreated leather will just get soggy and gross then crack when it dries.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 13, 2014

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

And that's why you oil and/or polish your leather shoes regularly, kids! :mil101: (Edit: Plain leather shoes only! If your shoe has some kind of waterproof membrane, regular polish might ruin it.)

I'm going to check out the Nuuksio national park tomorrow. I'm pretty excited, it's my first time in the bush in four years. I hope I still remember how to build a campfire.

...Which reminds me, my boots are in dire need of polish.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 13, 2014

Mary Fucking Poppins
Aug 1, 2002

alnilam posted:

Question for the "I backpack in light trail runners that aren't waterproof at all and they dry real fast" people:

If something has leather in the upper, like this Teva Kimtah shoe, will it dry quickly-ish if I walk through a stream?

I know some of you hike in super light shoes and obviously this won't dry as fast as those. I'm just working on moving away from GTX cause it inevitably gets wet and dries slow as gently caress. And as I posted before, I'm trying to find a shoe that fits this bill that is also at least halfway not-weird looking in a city/casual work environment. These Tevas look pretty good for all this except for the leather in the upper, so I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it.

edit: gently caress, just noticed it has "waterproof membranes" involved that are probably just off-brand goretex. Nevermind.

edit2:
but I'd ask the same question for a shoe like this or this, basically a shoe without goretex but that has leather involved
I had a similar concern when I took a backpacking trip and wanted to hang out in a big city afterward with friends that lived there. I brought the shoes I wear canoe-camping and while they dried quickly, they smelled pretty rank and were unpleasant to wear in public. I would suggest just bringing a pair of Chucks or something collapsible if you're concerned about having footwear for city use on a trip where you're also hiking.

EDIT: To be fair, I do a lot of canoe-camping and I always bring separate footwear for portaging and for camp, so it's easy for me to make that suggestion.

Mary Fucking Poppins fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 13, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Anyone used one of those small electronics recharger things that you can charge up before a trip and then if your phone runs out of batteries, you can connect it to the charger and fill it back up?

I'll probably be using my iphone as a camera on my JMT trip and think it's pretty likely I'll need to charge it a time or two, but reviews on a lot of these make them sound pretty unreliable

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I've used them and seen other people using them. The only issues I expect you'll run into are:

1. Don't get it wet (obviously)
2. Don't put any strain on the USB charge port. These things are made by the lowest bidder in China using crappy mechanical engineering and crappy solder and so on. Usually a few dabs of solder are the only thing holding the USB port on, and a bit of flexing will crack the solder and render the charger useless.

Otherwise they work fairly well.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Joe Videogames posted:

I don't think I'll be able to find any hiking buddies and I'm worried about getting turned around in a trail area and dying from exposure. If I'm not going off to blaze a new trail in the deep woods, do I still run a chance of getting totally lost?

Maybe I don't want to go backpacking/camping as much as I'd like to hike around an established trail. Is that still considered good outdoorsy fun?

Depending on where you are in Germany I'd be down for hiking. I'm in Bavaria. There's some decent trails near Berchtesgaden I've heard. One everyone says to check out is the Rinnkendlsteig that goes up and over the Königssee. I'm looking at hitting it up here once the weather gets a bit better.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Red87 posted:

Depending on where you are in Germany I'd be down for hiking. I'm in Bavaria. There's some decent trails near Berchtesgaden I've heard. One everyone says to check out is the Rinnkendlsteig that goes up and over the Königssee. I'm looking at hitting it up here once the weather gets a bit better.

I'm way out in the Rhineland :(

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Joe Videogames posted:

Something worth checking out is googling around and seeing if you have any sizeable Naturparks in your area. Near Stuttgart is Naturpark Schönbuch, which is supposedly decent. Hell, one thing about Germany is you can go to almost any forest and find small roads or trails in them, and all you need to do is drive south a little while and you run into the Alps. It's a fantastic area for hiking.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Red87 posted:

Something worth checking out is googling around and seeing if you have any sizeable Naturparks in your area. Near Stuttgart is Naturpark Schönbuch, which is supposedly decent. Hell, one thing about Germany is you can go to almost any forest and find small roads or trails in them, and all you need to do is drive south a little while and you run into the Alps. It's a fantastic area for hiking.

There are some Volksmarches starting up here too. Many are in France though.

:barf:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So with the Enchantment permit, it seems like we're kind of screwed - both permits my group got are for Lake Stuart zone, which is a dead end. Once we're in the backcountry, would rangers be enforcing the permit issue the 2nd night? I'm envisioning camping at Lake Stuart the first night, then back to the junction and up through Asgard Pass with a campsite at one of the upper lakes, then exiting the third day.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Looks like the boots I wanted weren't included in the sale, but the store manager was nice enough to give me 15% off my *total* purchase. I bout some Keen Marshall Mids with a pair of Smartwool merino socks for $127! Just waiting on my REI Flash pack to get in with more socks.

What are some good pants for hiking in? Are the rip-stop 5.11 stuff any good?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Honestly, anything that don't tear easily and don't smother your crotch. I'm going hiking right now in surplus British army pants, but I'm a huge milsperg anyway. (British army pants are the best pants ever, though!)

Edit: Hey, you're German? Check out local milsurp stores for old Bundeswehr moleskin pants, I hear they're really good. As a bonus, they're a very neutral grey, so you don't look like a nut in the bush.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 14, 2014

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Joe Videogames posted:

What are some good pants for hiking in?

About a year ago, I stumbled onto the Columbia Cool Creek Pants. Thin, tough, comfortable softshell with good stretch. They're what I wear anytime I'm not in a suit or dress slacks, they're so comfortable. I even used them for downhill skiing once this season when the rental place had only bizarrely huge clown-size pants or ones that were just too small. They did great with a base layer underneath. Great for climbing, too, due to the stretchiness.

But yeah, tons of good options out there.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Business of Ferrets posted:

About a year ago, I stumbled onto the Columbia Cool Creek Pants. Thin, tough, comfortable softshell with good stretch. They're what I wear anytime I'm not in a suit or dress slacks, they're so comfortable. I even used them for downhill skiing once this season when the rental place had only bizarrely huge clown-size pants or ones that were just too small. They did great with a base layer underneath. Great for climbing, too, due to the stretchiness.

But yeah, tons of good options out there.

Do they not come in a 34 inch waist?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
You might have to search around; quite a few places carry them. Check Amazon and Sierra Trading Post for starters.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Live update from my hiking trip to Nuuksio: I can't boil water. :suicide:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Does anybody use nordic/trekking poles?

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Joe Videogames posted:

I do. I have an old pair of REI carbon fibre poles that were made for snowshoeing. They really save my knees and legs a lot of strain . My only regret is not buying a pair that collapsed more than these.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Joe Videogames posted:

I also do. Now that I'm older (yet in better shape), I find they often help save my knees while walking downhill. They can also be a huge help when walking on slippery surfaces such as wet clay / wet lichen covered granite. Highly recommend grabbing a pair. If you don't want to go that far, even a good walking stick is a major bonus. However, they aren't as light, can't compress up as much, or be as durable. On the other hand, they are as cheap as picking up a 5-7' length of wood which is mostly straight. Wrap the bottom in rubberized electrical tape. Take off any rough spots. Done.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mastershakeman posted:

So with the Enchantment permit, it seems like we're kind of screwed - both permits my group got are for Lake Stuart zone, which is a dead end. Once we're in the backcountry, would rangers be enforcing the permit issue the 2nd night? I'm envisioning camping at Lake Stuart the first night, then back to the junction and up through Asgard Pass with a campsite at one of the upper lakes, then exiting the third day.

Don't you have a designated site you're supposed to be in every single night? Rangers probably won't be waking around every day but with how busy the enchantments get I would expect the permit holder for that site to show up ... and not in a great mood to see someone on their spot that they entered a lottery months ago to get. I know I would be pretty pissed if someone was on my spot and I wouldn't hesitate asking them to leave. Try to work something out with the rangers before you go or try to change the day you arrive as people might not have showed up. Don't site jump though, it can be rude if someone has that spot.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought you could take any site within your zone?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Today I:
  • Went to a cool national park
  • Walked about ten kilometres all told
  • Managed to cook food over an open flame (...eventually)
  • Stayed warm without breaking a sweat once
  • Didn't get eaten by a bear

All in all, pretty good for my first hike in four years. :shobon:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
When it comes to hiking sock liners, will some polyester dress socks get the same result as some $12 liner socks?

Another question: now that I have a small 18L pack in the way, what do I fill it up with? What are some essentials that you goony hikers have found to be good to have? I would think a day hiker first aid kit from REI, a lensatic compass, some extra socks.

What else?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 14, 2014

Vaga
Feb 21, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

I thought you could take any site within your zone?

Yes, you can take any pre-established camping site in your zone. So you'll need to camp both nights in the Stuart lake zone. You can day hike into any of the other zones but can't camp anywhere other than Stuart. Both times I've been up there I've had my permit checked.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Given how popular the enchantments are I wouldn't go breaking the rules.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Joe Videogames posted:

When it comes to hiking sock liners, will some polyester dress socks get the same result as some $12 liner socks?
Buy athletic socks from your local sports store. Just ask them for something that wicks sweat off your foot. Polyester dress socks are comfy until your feet start sweating, at which point they turn into cold, soggy misery.

Joe Videogames posted:

Another question: now that I have a small 18L pack in the way, what do I fill it up with? What are some essentials that you goony hikers have found to be good to have? I would think a day hiker first aid kit from REI, a lensatic compass, some extra socks.

What else?
A solid knife, spare socks, water, something to start a fire with, basic first aid stuff, food, extra clothing. Just gather up all the things you think you might possibly need and then start packing with the lifesavers (matches, first aid, water). Leave behind everything that doesn't fit in the pack.

Unless you're going to wait until July before going hiking, you'll have to consider your clothes. And I don't mean what to bring, but how much and how to adjust it. Try to think ahead: Dress so that you're uncomfortably chilly when just standing around doing nothing. That way you'll be comfortable once you get moving and warm up properly. It was about, I dunno, five degrees Celsius out today and I was doing great in a long-sleeved athletic shirt and a sweater once I'd gotten out of the wind and climbed a long-rear end stairway up a steep hill.

But since you're wearing too little to stand still, you're going to need something extra for any breaks you plan on having. I packed a windbreaker and a pair of woolly mittens to keep myself warm through a break. The first thing I did when I stopped to cook dinner was pull the jacket on even though it felt kinda dumb - I was warm and doing fine already! The windbreaker kept me comfortably warm during my furious struggle to make water boil. Last thing I did after packing up was take my sweater off and stuff it in my pack, even though it felt kinda dumb - I was warm and doing fine, why would I want to wear less? Because I know from experience that I sweat like a pig if I try to do anything physical with a sweater under my jacket. (Incidentally, I took off my sweater instead of the jacket because I knew my trip back would be windy.)

Oh, and bring water. I'm a thirsty sort so I drink about a litre per hour. All that water and clothing meant I could barely fit in a mess kit to cook in. I guess I should get a water bladder instead of these unwieldy bottles and canteens.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Joe Videogames posted:

What else?

The ten essentials. They can range in complexity but honestly for day hikes simple is king. Most day hikers will probably be good with sunglasses, food, water, a jacket, first aid kit and maybe a knife. You probably already have most of this stuff to some degree. The longer and further out you go, essentially the more you will have to rely on what you have with you where you would then start bringing more stuff.

1. Map of the entire area you will be in
2. Compass (GPS is great but always have a non digital compass)
3. Sunglasses and sunscreen
4. Food (and more than you think you might need)
5. Water (and more than you think you might need)
6. Clothes with layers to add or remove for fluctuating weather and activity. Prepare for good and bad weather as well as rain.
7. Headlamp / flashlight - I prefer headlamps because they can be operated without the use of your hands and dont get dropped as often.
8. First aid kit - nothing crazy unless youre staying out of reach of help for a long time.
9. Fire starter (matches, chemical heat tabs, canned heat, or a magnesium stick) Most people just pack a bic lighter or two.
10. Knife - nothing fancy but nothing insanely cheap. If you have to rely on it, you will appreciate having a sharp blade. A simple folding knife usually is more resourceful than a giant rambo knife.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

I'd call and check but it was my understanding that the pass covered you for the date you intended to enter the zone and then you could stay up to a certain number of days, 5 I think, though I can't remember where I read that. Congratulations on getting a permit! Wish I was as lucky. I didn't think there were any designated sites either. Again a call and they'll be able to explain everything I would imagine.

Joe Videogames posted:

Pants & Poles

People always say that cotton kills, but I've had awesome luck with Duluth fire hose pants. When I've done bushwacking or scrambles over rocks the pants hold up better than anything I've ever worn and they have pretty good range of movement too. I think also because the weave is so tight that even when they get wet they never feel like they're soaking and seem to dry out pretty quickly. As others have mentioned with poles they do save the knees quite a bit and I find them extremely useful when traversing over slick rocks, unstable ground, etc.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vaga posted:

Yes, you can take any pre-established camping site in your zone. So you'll need to camp both nights in the Stuart lake zone. You can day hike into any of the other zones but can't camp anywhere other than Stuart. Both times I've been up there I've had my permit checked.

Well shucks. Are the zones clearly marked?

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Joe Videogames posted:

Yes, they are a magic knee saving piece of equipment. After making fun of the people who use them for years, I tried them and now bring them basically every time I go hiking. I prefer fixed length ones, even though they're a little more work when not in use, I have had some cheaper aluminum poles stop locking correctly halfway down a mountain (Asgaard Pass actually, which is like the shittiest place ever to have them not work).

quote:

Well shucks. Are the zones clearly marked?
Not on signs, but it's pretty obvious when you get there which zone is which.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've never had knee problems while hiking and like to just use one pole to help with balance and to have something to do, works for me I guess. I feel like having two poles would annoy me

e: I also have to wonder about increased trail erosion with the increased use of hiking poles. People tend to plant them outside of the trail a lot and end up widening the trail slowly or break down the sides of the trail if it's been worn into a bit of a rut

Levitate fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 15, 2014

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Siivola posted:

Oh, and bring water. I'm a thirsty sort so I drink about a litre per hour. All that water and clothing meant I could barely fit in a mess kit to cook in. I guess I should get a water bladder instead of these unwieldy bottles and canteens.

I've found that since I've started using a water bladder I have been drinking less water. I think it's because taking small sips every few minutes makes me feel more hydrated than basically chugging from my bottles whenever I felt thirsty.

Though, I have found that aloe juice is an awesome thirst quencher. It's a drink and a snack all in one :yum:

On the subject of what to bring, I would recommend an emergency whistle if your pack doesn't already have one built in.
You probably won't use it at all, but it's better have one just in case.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

-CHA posted:

I've found that since I've started using a water bladder I have been drinking less water. I think it's because taking small sips every few minutes makes me feel more hydrated than basically chugging from my bottles whenever I felt thirsty.

Yeah, I really notice the difference. I actually ended up drinking less water than if I chugged, but maybe that's just me.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Coppertone sport spf 30 is may go to in Denver and in the mountains. Use it for hiking, skiing, and biking. Never had an issue.

V my man

n8r posted:

Coppertone sport in the blue bottle

Thanks, dudes. Will give it a test run on my backpacking outing this weekend, which won't be quite as near the sun anyways. :j:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Joe Videogames posted:

Yes, as a person who likes hiking and has lovely knees, they are amazing. Also you can find tents that set up using the trekking poles and shave a lb, maybe more, off of your packed tent weight by foregoing normal tent poles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Joe Videogames posted:

Hi there! :tipshat:

If you are around the Rhineland and want to do some spontaneous hiking without driving all too far southwards, maybe you could have a look at the famous "Rheinsteig" (http://www.rheinsteig.de/en/). Some tracks of the "Saar-Hunsrück-Steig" (http://www.saar-hunsrueck-steig.de/en/) may not be too far away either.

Lastly, i'd like to shamelessly plug my home-region of south-western Rheinland-Pfalz: http://www.suedwestpfalz-touristik.de/touristik/de/Wandern/

Let me know if you need a translation.

To add my experience about hiking in trailrunners: I did this when a couple of more experienced friends took me on my first ever multi-day-hike in the alps. First two days went really smooth. On the third day, i had to pass on making a summit because i had no grip at all on steep snowfields and me inching over was both irresponsible and slowing the whole group down too much. Also running shoes are no fun to wear when you're going down larger fields of rubble and most likely ruined afterwards. In summary: If i go somewhere where i expect a reasonable amount of snow or rubble to traverse, i'll definetely put on my hiking boots.