Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

What was once ours is ours once more. Μεγάλη Ἑλλάς has returned both to its linguistic and imperial forebears. More importantly, we now share a border with the Heretic Bishop himself. Great Empress, your devout faith is as a glorious beacon in these dark times. I beseech you, Restore the True Orthodoxy to the Throne of Saint Peter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yes, let's all congratulate the Empress, she is now the proud owner of the most fractious, unruly and rebellious people in Europe. Not only that, this is the second time we have stabbed the Italians in the back while they were working to protect the Holy Lands. Where is the army that should have freed Anatolia? Where is the gold that should have built roads, ports and castles in Greece?

Alexios must be spinning in his tomb.

:dawkins101:

You are a terrible, terrible Komnenian senator. We tend not to do these backhand compliments, since you know, it's the Empresses decision and all. Who are we to say that the money would have been better spent else? We tend to spend money on parties and booze.

Maybe you should be in the New Byzantines instead of the Komnenian.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

You guys are right Croatia is really upsetting our border lines, though we really should take Italy all the way up to the alps first.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Samuel posted:

You guys are right Croatia is really upsetting our border lines, though we really should take Italy all the way up to the alps first.

We've got 3 Merchant Republics, I'm sure that they can supply us with enough boats that we needn't worry about any unnecessary conquering. Unless the Empress wills it of course. Then we shall fight with righteous fury and hate!

On that note, do we have any Jewish Doux's or Merchant republic leaders? The Israelites have always been good to us, I sincerely hope that they have been rewarded with a safe land of their own within the Empire.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yes, let's all congratulate the Empress, she is now the proud owner of the most fractious, unruly and rebellious people in Europe. Not only that, this is the second time we have stabbed the Italians in the back while they were working to protect the Holy Lands. Where is the army that should have freed Anatolia? Where is the gold that should have built roads, ports and castles in Greece?

You sound suspiciously like a Papist, Senator. We have not fought the Genoese, but the Sicilians; might you perhaps require a moment to consult a map? And what sort of Komnenian speaks so harshly of a sitting Empress?

Has anyone checked this man's identity?

At any rate, I think I can speak for all of my Old Roman compatriots when I praise our Empress' name, her glory, and her triumph. We are a step closer - a large step closer! - to restoring the Empire's glories. Let us no longer be called 'the Empire of the Greeks' by the backwards Europeans! Let all of Europe know that the time of the Caesars has not passed!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

This is, what, the third time the pope gave the temple to the merchants? Isn't it about time we wrapped this farce of a schism up?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

Dear Ghetto Prince, please stop using the bad hashish and start getting the good stuff. Really, I'm worried about you. Are you feeling all right? Do you want to take a visit to the brothels? The bathhouses? The, er, Library?

Because you're lashing out and it's a shame you do that here in the chamber.

Lord Windy posted:

We've got 3 Merchant Republics, I'm sure that they can supply us with enough boats that we needn't worry about any unnecessary conquering. Unless the Empress wills it of course. Then we shall fight with righteous fury and hate!

On that note, do we have any Jewish Doux's or Merchant republic leaders? The Israelites have always been good to us, I sincerely hope that they have been rewarded with a safe land of their own within the Empire.
I've never trusted those Jews you know. Have you heard of what they do to their members??? I couldn't believe it when I heard it myself, but they insist that it is true. Why would you do that???
And really, they should move with the times and convert to some of these modern religions, preferably Orthodoxy, rather than cling to outdated models of belief. I suppose after that we could reward them for their fine services to the crown, maybe with some land somewhere.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

The greatest reward for the their service would obviously be conversion to Orthodoxy. What is greater than heaven?

Similarly,, something must be done about the Sicilian nobility. They are the Catholic sons of the Normans who stole it in the first place. There are two options: purge them, or convert and assimilate them. One would certainly be easier than the other, but I can't get over what their ancestors did to us. They must be punished!

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 15, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Ghetto Prince posted:

[...]the most fractious, unruly and rebellious people in Europe.

You'll find those are our douxes, Senator, not the Sicilians. After so many years on the Senate I finally understand my late grandfather's hatred for those vipers. And surely you, as part of the Sycophant Party, can understand congratulating your Empress on a well-executed military campaign?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Would it be possible to get a head count on those of us who are part of the Guiding Light?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

We simply must begin planning a Triumph for our dear Empress and her leading General, the august Consul Scruffles.

Hostergaard
Sep 14, 2012

Hellenic Restoration (HR)

Ubern00b posted:

I would switch my secondary allegiance to the Hellenic Restoration, supplanting the New Marians.

Welcome to faction Ubern00b, if you got any particular... tastes feel free to mention them and I will do my best to work them into our next party.

Rincewind posted:

Hellenic Restoration people, please put your heads together and decide what main party you're in, or make three separate ones, or something.

Will do! Hellenist, please put a vote in bold and with our flag over it to which faction you want allegiance.

Ubern00b posted:

Fellow Hellenists, allow me to propose a solution; shall we declare the party a cross-party faction rather than a party?

Proposal noted; vote for this instead if this is what people wish.

Also, would members please come with suggestions for the party program?
People claim our goals are unrealistic, And some may indeed be lofty but I think we also have some very down to earth ideas to work with. So I want to refine our party profile and give people a better idea of who are and what our goals are. Our ideal is ancient Greece, we need to hammer out the details of what that entails. This will also make it easier to figure out our allegiances.

Hellenic Restoration (HR) [(b]

[b]## Sponsor the Marriage Ties To Expand Relations Act (MATTER Act)

Its good to note that other senators appreciate the importance of getting your shag on but note that we prefer it to be so it spreads the ruling dynasty to positions of power.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Voting on those matters ended a long time ago, Senator...

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Flesnolk posted:

Voting on those matters ended a long time ago, Senator...

So did any trace of the single issue he desperately clings to: I doubt your well-intentioned words will have any impact. Leave the poor man to his visions of a thousand years past, the servants will guide him some place where he can do no harm to himself or others in due course.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009

Hostergaard posted:

Welcome to faction Ubern00b, if you got any particular... tastes feel free to mention them and I will do my best to work them into our next party.

I would like to make sure have enough white oxen, and white ewe lambs. Unless we're gathering in January, then we'll need a white ram lamb obviously.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Empress Valeria I could kiss you if it weren't against several kinds of laws and teachings of the church. Gaining the southern half of Italy, sharing a border within walking distance of the Eternal City itself, truly a cause for celebration. Bring out some proper Italian wines!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm for joining under whatever main party takes us, but I don't think being a cross-faction really suits our purpose.

I think that we should be for restoring Alexander's empire as our "what should we conquer" platform.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Sampatrick posted:

Would it be possible to get a head count on those of us who are part of the Guiding Light?

I think there's like 5 of us or so.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Now that I have a little picture (a very shoddy stylised rendition of Carthage's harbour) I demand to be taken seriously or I will complain loudly and constantly. I am founding the Africa Romanum party, and I say we bloody well go to Africa and reconquer it as a first priority at this point. Sod pretty borders, these lands were among the wealthiest of the Empire. The Exarchate was so valuable and so powerful that ol' Emperor Maurice back in the day considered moving the capital to Carthage when the Persians were knocking on Constantinople's door.

They are a necessary and vital part of a truly revived Roman Empire.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

willing to settle posted:

Now that I have a little picture (a very shoddy stylised rendition of Carthage's harbour) I demand to be taken seriously or I will complain loudly and constantly. I am founding the Africa Romanum party, and I say we bloody well go to Africa and reconquer it as a first priority at this point. Sod pretty borders, these lands were among the wealthiest of the Empire. The Exarchate was so valuable and so powerful that ol' Emperor Maurice back in the day considered moving the capital to Carthage when the Persians were knocking on Constantinople's door.

The New Byzantines
Steppes and Republics

Well met fellow senator, I hope we get along. I must state however that it is required to aligen your party with one of the Five Major Parties.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

In the name of John the Forerunner, stop making new parties. Please. We're running out of space for flags.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
Reading anything anyone else writes is completely at odds with my party's policies, I'm afraid. As a consequence, I am withdrawing from the senate forthwith.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Reading anything anyone else writes is completely at odds with my party's policies, I'm afraid. As a consequence, I am withdrawing from the senate forthwith.

The New Byzantines
Steppes and Republics

Uh...well..... goodbye?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

What a sad, strange little man.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

As our Empress has instituted a mandate that new "minor parties" must be attached to, or caucus with, one of the four major parties, I would like to extend an invitation to the Africa Romanum party to attach themselves to the Old Romans, for I find that our goals dovetail nicely.

Personally I would like to reclaim Rome ASAP, but reclaiming Tunis would be nice too.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Ratoslov posted:

In the name of John the Forerunner, stop making new parties. Please. We're running out of space for flags.

Hold on, I think I can make some more room, let me just move some of the senate seats. We don't need this many chairs, right?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Is the assimilation of Africans a large priority for you?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Friends, I have been quiet, watching, for some time now. The inheritance of Sicily has roused me, however, and I feel it necessary to speak once more. Rome is at our doorstep; shall we become bloodthirsty monsters, and brutally cut down a bishop? Or, shall we show our righteous wisdom to all of Christendom, and peacefully reconcile ourselves with Rome? With peace and reconciliation, we can likely even incorporate the Papacy itself as a vassal of ours. I urge you all, at this vital moment in our history, to consider the possibilities of a world without bloodshed.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Who says that devil has to die? Seeing him in chains would be far more cathartic. Imagine it: the triumph of triumphs! Rome reconquered, our old treasures marched down the streets of Constantinople, and, as the final touch, we force the Pope to accept the Greek Rite! A wonderful dream, no? And, even more wonderfully, it is within our grasp.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Who says that devil has to die? Seeing him in chains would be far more cathartic. Imagine it: the triumph of triumphs! Rome reconquered, our old treasures marched down the streets of Constantinople, and, as the final touch, we force the Pope to accept the Greek Rite! A wonderful dream, no? And, even more wonderfully, it is within our grasp.

I like the way this man thinks. Mental torture is always one of the best ways to treat your enemies after you subjugate them.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Pyroi posted:

I like the way this man thinks. Mental torture is always one of the best ways to treat your enemies after you subjugate them.

:stare:

Romans 12:17-19 posted:

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mental torture? Evil unto evil? That is hardly what I described. No, I offer two things: jubilation for all true Christians, and salvation for an old devil. After his defeat and expulsion from Rome, it would be irresponsible, nay, sinful, to allow the Pope to carry on his heresy. Our triumph over the greatest heresy in our history is only icing on that cake.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

So I finally caught up with this thread. Which Chi Rho should I join up with to provide legitimacy, considering it consists of 50% of my username?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Blackunknown posted:

The New Byzantines
Steppes and Republics

Uh...well..... goodbye?

Gentlemen of the Senate, I would like to humbly present a petition to construct a hospital to care for the insane on the outskirts of Constantinople, similar to that built by Caliph Tulun in Egypt five hundred years ago. I had been planning on presenting this petition later, but as the events in this hall demonstrated I think there is a clear need for it.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut occasionally. For once, we agree, although we put a different emphasis on things. I do not think the Empire is going to convert to the Catholic Heresy, nor do I wish it to. And that said, if we are to conquer Rome- regrettable as that is, but also inevitable at this point- I would vastly prefer to capture the Pope than slay him. Pragmatically, martyring him would be problematic, and morally, I would vastly prefer to capture anyone than call for their death, let alone a man of the cloth.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

Gentlemen of the Senate, I would like to humbly present a petition to construct a hospital to care for the insane on the outskirts of Constantinople, similar to that built by Caliph Tulun in Egypt five hundred years ago. I had been planning on presenting this petition later, but as the events in this hall demonstrated I think there is a clear need for it.

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut occasionally. For once, we agree, although we put a different emphasis on things. I do not think the Empire is going to convert to the Catholic Heresy, nor do I wish it to. And that said, if we are to conquer Rome- regrettable as that is, but also inevitable at this point- I would vastly prefer to capture the Pope than slay him. Pragmatically, martyring him would be problematic, and morally, I would vastly prefer to capture anyone than call for their death, let alone a man of the cloth.

I would vastly prefer to incorporate the Bishop of Rome than imprison him or, God forbid, commit the sin of murder. Even imprisoned, the Papacy would be a great bone of contention between ourselves and the Latins. United happily with the Empire, the Bishop of Rome could be our greatest asset in peaceably and diplomatically expanding throughout Christendom.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Mental torture? Evil unto evil? That is hardly what I described. No, I offer two things: jubilation for all true Christians, and salvation for an old devil. After his defeat and expulsion from Rome, it would be irresponsible, nay, sinful, to allow the Pope to carry on his heresy. Our triumph over the greatest heresy in our history is only icing on that cake.

I am merely implying that it would be mental torture for them to convert from their beloved Catholic-ness.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Pyroi posted:

I am merely implying that it would be mental torture for them to convert from their beloved Catholic-ness.

How could converting to Orthodoxy ever be described as "suffering"? Once they cast Catholicism away, they will realize it is an empty and false faith. They love it now because they do not understand Truth, and the Bishop of Rome's lies sound so close. Even he may be fooled. This is why every religion besides Orthodoxy should be outlawed, and their every practitioner be given the chance to convert or be executed for treason against God. The beauty of it is that they will all convert. Who but the staunchest Templar would doubt us after ousting the Pope?

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 16, 2014

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

*pant, pant* F-finally... F-finally made it! The Centrist Party would officially like to sponsor all current... It's done? We did what in Sicily?

...O-oh. Um, g-good job, everyone! I-I mean, there are some bad things too, I think? But also some good!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

...Rome is at our doorstep; shall we become bloodthirsty monsters, and brutally cut down a bishop?

Yep.

Well, to be fair, not necessarily. We can just have him removed from office and replaced with a non-Schismatic, a good Orthodox Christian. Then he can run off and pretend to be the High King of Christendom all he likes, but a Bishop of Rome who is Orthodox will undermine the so-called "moral authority" of the Papists and make the ascendancy of Orthodox Christianity as the One True Faith all the more likely.

(OOC: He'll just end up grabbing some random Bishop's holding somewhere and yelling 'I'm the Pope, pay attention to me!' Victory in the war will almost certainly not lead to the Pope's demise.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Raserys posted:

*pant, pant* F-finally... F-finally made it! The Centrist Party would officially like to sponsor all current... It's done? We did what in Sicily?

...O-oh. Um, g-good job, everyone! I-I mean, there are some bad things too, I think? But also some good!

That face. It can't be...?

Senator Raserys? It is you. By Jesus, Mary, and John.

You disappeared right before the vote, but that was eight years ago. You're looking quite well, for a man we thought was dead. Nobody could find hide nor hair of you. Where on Earth have you been, sir?

• Locked thread