Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

HO KONNAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
ÓRALE BROTHER

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I can't decide what's more disarming, Cholo Hogan or the brief period where he "grew" a crewcut out of nowhere.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You don't remember X-Paaaaaaaaaaaaaac! Then you can SUCK IT!

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I can't decide what's more disarming, Cholo Hogan or the brief period where he "grew" a crewcut out of nowhere.

Hogan's crew cut was pretty bad, but it also gave us this:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
God I hope Nitro and Thunder end up on the Network.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Shima Honnou posted:

Thunder was really really awful, usually not even in the "holy poo poo what the gently caress?" way but in the "god this is dumb and pointless" way

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Monkeycheese posted:

Thunder was really really awful, usually not even in the "holy poo poo what the gently caress?" way but in the "god this is dumb and pointless" way

One time Bryan and Vinny were reviewing a Nitro (I think 1998), and Bryan mentioned that Dave said Thunder was far, far worse than Impact ever was.

Bryan said that he was 100% sure Dave had to be lying, but after seeing Nitro's recap of Thunder he believed him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was that one Thunder where they somehow got their segments mixed up, so you had Jeff Jarrett (I think) carted out in ambulance, then a bit later he arrived to get beaten up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DeathChicken posted:

There was that one Thunder where they somehow got their segments mixed up, so you had Jeff Jarrett (I think) carted out in ambulance, then a bit later he arrived to get beaten up.

Or it could have been the thing that apparently happened all the time, where they were rebooking the show while shooting it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Previous Nitro: Ric Flair was institutionalized.
Thunder: Ric Flair was released prior to Thunder.
Next Week's Nitro: Video package showing Flair was still in the asylum.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Oh my god, I wish I could remember having seen this.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Monkeycheese posted:

I think Thunder gave us Disco Inferno's spirited rendition of "O Canada" before a match with Bret Hart, so I will always remember it fondly.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Great White Hope posted:

One time Bryan and Vinny were reviewing a Nitro (I think 1998), and Bryan mentioned that Dave said Thunder was far, far worse than Impact ever was.

Bryan said that he was 100% sure Dave had to be lying, but after seeing Nitro's recap of Thunder he believed him.

I was a pretty faithful Thunder watcher from late '98 up until the end, and I can say with confidence that nothing important ever ever happened on Thunder ever. Some not bad wrestling, but there never seemed like any reason to try on Thunder, so they didn't. Worldwide/Saturday Night/whatever was the one where you'd occasionally get decent to good matches.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Wait. Hulk got hair plugs or something back then?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think J.J announced the Hogan Goldberg match on Thunder.

Also Buff Bagwell got injured on Thunder.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Perfidus posted:

At Halloween Havoc 96 Hogan came out to wrestle in a wig, during the match Savage stole it and put it on himself.

rotinaj posted:

I can say with confidence that nothing important ever ever happened on Thunder ever

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

One of Russo's stated aims was to increase the importance of Thunder and to bring it and Nitro onto the same level. The problem was that his plan for doing this was apparently to book nitro into the ground. With the Arquette win part of the thinking (much that there was thinking) was putting it on a taped show would give it more opportunity for word to spread to the mainstream media. The other side of the coin was that once Schivone had put the idea out there, Russo wanted to strike on it before anyone had any chance to have any second thoughts - though at the time everyone in a decision making role seemed to be behind the idea internally.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

I would honestly love it if the Network played WCW Saturday Night. My first taste of WCW was early 90's episodes of the mothership.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Just checking in to say that if anyone still doubts Lex Luger, go watch his match with Flair at Starrcade '88.

I know Flair can carry just about anyone to ****+, but this match is really something special. It's super smart and the perfect use of Luger.

The story is essentially that Luger has dropped weight and become more streamlined in preparation for the match while still retaining his power. This makes him immune to Flair's usual weardown tactics. Not only that, but he's still a brick wall and Flair's chops and punches have virtually no effect. In other words he's essentially a Terminator (though a face, so more like Terminator 2). Flair has to dig deep (cheat) in order to gain the upper hand. But is that going to be enough even for Flair? Can the upstart Luger learn how to win on the fly?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Flair "collapsed" on a Thunder in 2000 which led to him vacating the title. I think.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

OctoberCountry posted:

At Halloween Havoc 96 Hogan came out to wrestle in a wig, during the match Savage stole it and put it on himself.

I stand by my statement. :colbert:

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

I WAS THERE!

I hope when they add Satruday Night it airs at 6:05 on Saturdays

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Perfidus posted:

I think he was in a 3 Ninjas movie and his character had that haircut, so he started wearing it on TV too. It might be the wrong movie, but I know it was SOME dumb bullshit like that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Has Hogan ever been in a movie which didn't totally suck balls?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Say Nothing posted:

Has Hogan ever been in a movie which didn't totally suck balls?

Rocky III, featuring Hogan's best acting and quite possibly best wrestling.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014
I'll always have a soft spot for the "Thunder in Paradise" tv series in my heart because it was the raddest thing when I was nine years old.

A friend gifted me the DVD box set two years back and we rewatched all of it. It... doesn't hold up that well, but it was fun to watch for all the wrong reasons. It has, among others:
  • The titular "Thunder" that is half TARDIS, half Enterprise and all around overengineered.
  • Brutus Beefcake appearing in like 5 different roles over the course of one single season.
  • An underwater prison that only houses sea-criminals. It is amazing.
  • The most laughable definition of virtual reality ever put to screen.
  • Oh, and don't forget the pilot starts off with Hogan's character forcing a woman to marry him because sexism and also he wants her money to repair his speedboat. So he's a gold digger is what I'm saying, but he's the most awesome gold digger ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Discount Trombones posted:

[*]The titular "Thunder" that is half TARDIS, half Enterprise and all around overengineered.

Hulkamania is too cool to be anything like Doctor Who or Star Trek.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DeathChicken posted:

Jason Sextro posted:

Oh my god, I wish I could remember having seen this.

You're putting two separate incidents together.

One Thunder had a Villanos vs (whoever) match, and afterwards Villano V unmasked to reveal that it was Sting the entire time. Problem is, a recap of that reveal was shown an hour earlier in the show before the match took place.

Another Thunder had Mike Awesome getting the poo poo beaten out of him and thrown in the back of an ambulance, which then drives away. The very next segment has a bunch of wrestlers, one of which being a perfectly fine Mike Awesome, looking for someone backstage.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I actually think one of the worst casualties in the saga of WCW is Heenan. Oddly enough there's a link between him and Hart in that regard, but I digress.

Hennan was great in WWF. It's not just him bouncing off Monsoon, who was by and large not that good at what he does, but he just clicked. In his manager interviews he was great, in his heel role he did it better than anyone else but man when he went to WCW it just didn't work. He tries for a while but he's out of his depth. And I don't think it's entirely their fault or even Schiovane's fault. Heenan went there for the money and because it meant that he would be closer to his family, which is totally understandable, but he had no interest in the product. It's clear that he has no affinity for it at all and the more time goes on the more disinterested he is, and he starts to just get bad at his job. He stumbles over his words, forgetting the names of wrestlers and even some of the shows he's commenting on. On the occasions he'd hit he would be great, but it was just sad to see. Whenever he appears on camera he looks embarrassed.

Hart I feel the same way about. Neither guy wanted to be there at all and what's worse is both guys are clearly out of place - they don't fit. Hart was never that charismatic but watch him in WCW and he's just bored.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Heenan had his moments, like the Jim Duggan match of horrible doom ("Here's your winner, the college grad, bwahaha"). For the most part though, yeah, he was in this awful in-between land of going through the motions but still trying to pretend like he gave a drat.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I actually think one of the worst casualties in the saga of WCW is Heenan. Oddly enough there's a link between him and Hart in that regard, but I digress.

Hennan was great in WWF. It's not just him bouncing off Monsoon, who was by and large not that good at what he does, but he just clicked. In his manager interviews he was great, in his heel role he did it better than anyone else but man when he went to WCW it just didn't work. He tries for a while but he's out of his depth. And I don't think it's entirely their fault or even Schiovane's fault. Heenan went there for the money and because it meant that he would be closer to his family, which is totally understandable, but he had no interest in the product. It's clear that he has no affinity for it at all and the more time goes on the more disinterested he is, and he starts to just get bad at his job. He stumbles over his words, forgetting the names of wrestlers and even some of the shows he's commenting on. On the occasions he'd hit he would be great, but it was just sad to see. Whenever he appears on camera he looks embarrassed.

Hart I feel the same way about. Neither guy wanted to be there at all and what's worse is both guys are clearly out of place - they don't fit. Hart was never that charismatic but watch him in WCW and he's just bored.

King of the Ring '93 is a great Alternate Universe nexus for all of this: Heenan commentating alongside Jim Ross while Bret Hart dominates the show. Obviously Heenan obviously worked best next to a good straight man and it's interesting to think about how he would have done alongside JR for any length of time.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

OctoberCountry posted:

Hey guys I haven't watched wrestling in like a decade, but I lurked this thread 'cause it took me back. As someone who watched WCW from 1996-2000, this is the perfect summation post.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I remember that Konnan had a music video that they played non-stop, to the point where it was an automatic channel change for most people.

Then, Disco Inferno did a video making fun of it, or his own video, or something. Was that just time filler, or did it lead to a Konnan/Disco feud?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Red posted:

I remember that Konnan had a music video that they played non-stop, to the point where it was an automatic channel change for most people.

Then, Disco Inferno did a video making fun of it, or his own video, or something. Was that just time filler, or did it lead to a Konnan/Disco feud?
They had a match at Spring Stampede 1999. And that feud was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJzO5UXagYw

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Discount Trombones posted:

I'll always have a soft spot for the "Thunder in Paradise" tv series in my heart because it was the raddest thing when I was nine years old.

A friend gifted me the DVD box set two years back and we rewatched all of it. It... doesn't hold up that well, but it was fun to watch for all the wrong reasons. It has, among others:
  • The titular "Thunder" that is half TARDIS, half Enterprise and all around overengineered.
  • Brutus Beefcake appearing in like 5 different roles over the course of one single season.
  • An underwater prison that only houses sea-criminals. It is amazing.
  • The most laughable definition of virtual reality ever put to screen.
  • Oh, and don't forget the pilot starts off with Hogan's character forcing a woman to marry him because sexism and also he wants her money to repair his speedboat. So he's a gold digger is what I'm saying, but he's the most awesome gold digger ever.

If you're familiar with Disney World, the show becomes even funnier because you can recognize a lot of the sets as parts of hotels and theme parks. I think I saw some monorail track in the background of one scene.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The David Arquette thing was so stupid but I didn't know he told them that as a wrestling fan there's no way he could do it, and when they finally convinced him he donated his payout to Brian Pillman's widow. That's cool.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mearn posted:

If you're familiar with Disney World, the show becomes even funnier because you can recognize a lot of the sets as parts of hotels and theme parks. I think I saw some monorail track in the background of one scene.

At one point Hogan was fighting a bad guy on top of the Wavepool at Typhoon Lagoon

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
David Arquette owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DrVenkman posted:

Heenan was great in WWF. It's not just him bouncing off Monsoon, who was by and large not that good at what he does, but he just clicked.

Gorilla was perfect for the exact time and place he was in, and I won't hear another word of that slander. :colbert:

What's really sad to me about watching WCW now is seeing how hot the crowd was for some of the upper midcard guys, because after a while the nWo trained WCW's audiences to not give a poo poo about anything.