Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Depends if you want it to react to what's on the screen or not. You can get remote control lights cheap on Ebay that let you choose brightness and colour but if you want it to work like a Phillips ambilight system its a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

been awhile since I have updated my setup, I added an HDMI switch (I wish i could have afforded a 4x2 matrix switcher..)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Photex posted:

been awhile since I have updated my setup, I added an HDMI switch (I wish i could have afforded a 4x2 matrix switcher..)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=6416&seq=1&format=2

40 bucks.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I should have been more clear a matrix. Switcher with cat 6 transmission

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Photex posted:

That'd be overkill. I only see one cat there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Photex posted:

Does the extender need to be integrated into the matrix switch?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8121&seq=1&format=2

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I guess it didn't but that's okay I ended up scraping the idea my wife wasn't too thrilled with two more ethernet runs being needed :negative:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

spookygonk posted:

That'd be overkill. I only see one cat there.

Thank you for this :)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I bought my first house about 6 months ago and I finally have home theater setup that I'm mostly proud of. I still need to do some cable management, but it's pretty good so far otherwise.

It doesn't look bad from far away.

I have an original Requiem for a Dream poster to replace the Swordfish one with, once I buy a set of matching frames. I'm a big Aronofsky fan. The surround sound is centered on the left couch cushion, which is directly in front of the TV. It's got good surround quality for both that seat and the chair next to it. It's not great if you're sitting in the chair right by the TV, but I rarely have more than 2-3 people watching.

But up close I definitely have some cabling issues I need to work on. I'd like to get some plywood to build around the base of my TV stand to hide this mess.

The wall mounted racks are Cheetah brand from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MAO142/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The walls need some touch up paint, but the color was here when I bought it and I love it. I'll probably touch it up a bit this Spring/Summer.

Unfortunately one of the speakers I'm going to have to get some trim or something to hide the speaker wire. Right now it's hanging off a couple lightly tapped in nails for the lack of a better solution.

The sconces on the wall have dimmer lights in them, and were also there when I bought the house. The previous owners had their TV on the opposite wall by the closet, but a subtle front lighting is far better for good movie watching.

Like I said, I got some work to do, but it's pretty good for a start.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm trying to come up with a good reason to have both a Wii and Wii U hooked up. I can't think of one.

If you get any more game systems, you're going to need a bigger component switch. Try this one:

http://www.wiredathome.com/home-aud...CFRQS7AodVysAxA

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

KillHour posted:

I'm trying to come up with a good reason to have both a Wii and Wii U hooked up. I can't think of one.

The Wii is hacked and running homebrew, with some custom emulators. I'd rather not hack the wii mode on the Wii U, because I don't want to void the warranty and risk screwing something up.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
This is my future home theater room. It's 26'x13' and one half of it will be the home theater and the other half a game room.

The wall the tv will be on is out of frame to the left. Since we were doing a full remodel I had our contractor put roxul in the walls and run speaker cables for the rears & sub cables to two locations on the back & side wall.

Unfortunately we ended up going w/ bare cement just in case we ever experience flooding (this is the basement, below grade).

I'm hoping that when we put area rugs down and furniture in the echo will be cut way back but I might have to put in some kind of traps or something as well. It's pretty boomy at the moment.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just get jealous anytime I see a basement that doesn't look like a horror movie dungeon. God drat 250 year old house.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Dave posted:

I just get jealous anytime I see a basement that doesn't look like a horror movie dungeon. God drat 250 year old house.

bwahaha... well, this is what it looked like pre-remodel

The house is a 1925 craftsman.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MMD3 posted:

bwahaha... well, this is what it looked like pre-remodel

The house is a 1925 craftsman.

I remember that basement in DIY. You did a great job.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

KillHour posted:

I remember that basement in DIY. You did a great job.

Thanks! well, not quite DIY, we had a contractor do the remodel. The LED's in the ceiling are hue lights, haven't had a chance to mess with them yet because the network isn't setup.

I'll do a more extensive before/after when everything else is finished up. We are going to be moving in with an unfinished kitchen. The cabinet makers got a bunch of things wrong and are having to tear a lot of it out to redo.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

MMD3 posted:

Unfortunately we ended up going w/ bare cement just in case we ever experience flooding (this is the basement, below grade).

I have a similar space, also below grade, also with potential for water intrusion. Rather than leave the bare concrete I installed adhesive back vinyl plank that was patterned and textured to look like wood. I bought the stuff from Lowes for 79 cents per square foot. Installation was extremely easy, set a strait line for reference, peal and stick. The planks cut to with a sharp utility blade. The final look came out great, much better than I anticipated in fact. I am pushing 3 years without problem now. I have not had a full flood but sections have gotten fairly wet with no ill effect. I chose them mostly cause I did not want bare concrete, but it was cheap enough that if they got destroyed I would not be out too much. Obviously this wont help with acoustics, but if bare concrete is not the look you prefer, I would highly encourage you to look into this or something similar.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like the concrete pattern he chose. You can do pretty much anything with concrete, now. It doesn't have to look like a garage floor.

For example:

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Oh for sure. I am not against it in principle at all. He seemed to express regret over having to stay with bare concrete though so I figured I would chime in.

I am a big of the epoxy style finishes like in your second picture. I was planning on doing it myself, but I ended up not being able to justify the cost.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
We didn't actually pour at all, that's just the sub-flooring ground down to be smooth and then finished with a satin/matte sealant, all of the character in it is just from the adhesive and whatever else was on the concrete that didn't all come up w/ the grinding.

We're thinking we'll probably use FLOR squares as an area carpet... maybe cover 80-90% of the concrete, just leave it exposed around the edges.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
My experience with flor is that the stickers for joining them suck and they are a pita. They do last a long time and can be cleaned

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I wanted to try something other than the Audioengines, something better.

Still got the FiiO D3 DAC, but now it feeds a NAD C165BEE preamp, which goes to a dbx DriveRack PX digital crossover (and so much more), which in turn goes to a set of Adam A5Xs and my DALI SWA 12 sub.

It sounds even better than what I had before.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Adam's Website posted:

Frequency response 50 Hz - 50 kHz

:raise:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They're studio monitors, and that's just how their "accordion" tweeters work. Doesn't matter much anyway since my crossover has a 48kHz sample rate.

But they are dead drat linear to 20kHz, which is nice. They have the best and clearest treble i have ever heard.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just realized I didn't post my new set up here

65" Samsung UN65H7150 with a Motorola DCX3400 DVR, Sony bvd-n900w home theatre and PS4 below it, which you can't see due to the blinding light of the tv.

Old 46" went in the bedroom, which I don't have a photo of but somehow didn't end up looking ridiculous.

My ISP/cable provider is going to bring a "signal booster" since having everything on one old rear end outlet is pushing its limits. What are signal boosters exactly?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That scene needs every award it can win.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

That scene needs every award it can win.

I don't recognize the scene, but is that Alison Brie? :fap:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

I don't recognize the scene, but is that Alison Brie? :fap:

It's Alexandra Daddario, and she is ridiculously hot in every scene she's in.

The scene is from True Detective, which is a series you should definitely watch.

The downside to that scene is that she's having sex with Woody Harrelson for some reason.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Well I guess I'll finally post what I have so far. I've been building this it'system since late March and it's definitely a budget system. Everything is new(ish) except the TV. I've been using this forum for help and suggestions so I can't thank everyone enough. I'm done for now (until a sub goes on sale.)

42" LG TV
Yamaha RX-V373 Receiver
2x Pioneer SP-BS22 bookshekves for fronts
Pioneer SP-C22 center channel
PS3
HTPC I just finished building and getting windows/xbmc installed on today
It's nothing crazy, kind big but only cost $187 to build.

I built the speaker stands myself and I know they look huge, but those will eventually be used as surrounds so I didn't want to make stands twice.

Picture is from my iPhone so quality isn't great.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dale Meets Wall posted:

Well I guess I'll finally post what I have so far. I've been building this it'system since late March and it's definitely a budget system. Everything is new(ish) except the TV. I've been using this forum for help and suggestions so I can't thank everyone enough. I'm done for now (until a sub goes on sale.)

42" LG TV
Yamaha RX-V373 Receiver
2x Pioneer SP-BS22 bookshekves for fronts
Pioneer SP-C22 center channel
PS3
HTPC I just finished building and getting windows/xbmc installed on today
It's nothing crazy, kind big but only cost $187 to build.

I built the speaker stands myself and I know they look huge, but those will eventually be used as surrounds so I didn't want to make stands twice.

Picture is from my iPhone so quality isn't great.

Nice simple setup. I cant stand the center channel off to the side like that, visually but then again I'm a psycho. One problem, having your right channel beside the wall like that is going to do some weird stuff with certain frequencies. That speaker will also be 3db louder than the other one due to boundary gain. Make sure you have the system calibrate your channel volumes. If you cant move the setup away from the wall, consider putting up some sort of absorbing material.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

KillHour posted:

I like the concrete pattern he chose. You can do pretty much anything with concrete, now. It doesn't have to look like a garage floor.

For example:

What is the technique in the second photo called? In other words, I want to do this and need to know what to google.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

App13 posted:

What is the technique in the second photo called? In other words, I want to do this and need to know what to google.

I believe you are looking for "stained concrete."

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Any suggestions for surge protectors that will fit behind a wall mounted tv?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

catch22 posted:

Any suggestions for surge protectors that will fit behind a wall mounted tv?

You could always just swap the receptacle for one for one of these. An outlet with built-in surge protection.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5280-W-Suppressor-Receptacle-Industrial/dp/B0006I33Y6/

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Trying to figure out the best way to set this up. The yellow tape is a 65" TV while the green is a 60". I like the 65" better but I don't know if the center channel speaker at the bottom would be too close to the floor. It is about 19" off the floor to the center of the speaker. I could put it above the TV but didn't know if that would be too close to the ceiling and cause distortion etc (The top of that vent is basically the ceiling).

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

AzCoug posted:

Trying to figure out the best way to set this up. The yellow tape is a 65" TV while the green is a 60". I like the 65" better but I don't know if the center channel speaker at the bottom would be too close to the floor. It is about 19" off the floor to the center of the speaker. I could put it above the TV but didn't know if that would be too close to the ceiling and cause distortion etc (The top of that vent is basically the ceiling).

How high is the bottom of the left and right? Because I would lower them and not worry about the TV size. The center can be pointed up toward the seating area.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 30, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AzCoug posted:

The center channel will be fine down low. I run a 106" screen with the center sitting about where your's is, I don't even have it angled up and voices seem to come front the center of the screen.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Aeka 2.0 posted:

How high is the bottom of the left and right? Because I would lower them and not worry about the TV size. The center can be pointed up toward the seating area.

We can put them at any height. What would be recommended? Ear level when sitting down?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AzCoug posted:

Ear level when sitting down?

Yes. Speakers should ideally be mounted at head-height. Obviously, that's impossible for your center channel, but you really won't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Just bought a 60" Samsung F8500. It's pretty great so far. I removed all my audio stuff since it needs to get re-done.