Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:
And guess what part he had replaced after quali

http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f1-2014/f1-2014-01/Formula%20One%20Australian%20Grand%20Prix%202014%20Document%20-%2046.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

You Am I posted:

You can only have a certain fuel rate, sounds a lot like the LeMans prototype rules. However the Red Bull pit crew were telling him to keep it going, as there was not going to be any consumption issues. So something has gone very wrong on their side.

Please be an issue going between metric an imperial, those errors are hilarious.

Forza McLaren I suppose?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Haha caketin is the official term? Merc going through them like water.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
So he had a faulty fuel flow rate sensor replaced in parc ferme after qualifying, and now they're going to ping him for exceeding the fuel flow rate....

Are they 100% positive that the replacement sensor is accurate?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

BLDR... I feel bad for the guy, but it's Red Bull and puts JB into 3rd so I'm kinda happy for the result :v:

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

darth cookie posted:

Picture of my signed Kimi/Alonso hat as promised earlier.

Cheers for that! Was that your own hat or did you buy it at the track? Also, were they selling flat brimmed and normal caps there? Seeing as both Nando and Kimi wear the flat brimmed ones.

They must have been changing from La Cucuracha to The Godfather theme for their trip down Lygon Street tonight.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I bought it at the track. They had flat brimmed caps with either the Spanish or Finnish flag on it. I ended up getting the Alonso cap shown. $50.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm somebody who knows nothing about F1, but I thought the idea behind it was to make the fastest cars, put the fastest drivers in them and see what happens?

Also: Being a newbie but interested in the sport, why does everybody hate Vettel? Is it just because he wins everything?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
He also whines like a small child when things do not go his way.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm somebody who knows nothing about F1, but I thought the idea behind it was to make the fastest cars, put the fastest drivers in them and see what happens?

Also: Being a newbie but interested in the sport, why does everybody hate Vettel? Is it just because he wins everything?

It's been decades since F1 was about making the fastest cars without a ton of regulations. Everyone hates Vettel because he's so loving smug and whiny I think. Also, I welcome the future reign of Ugly Mag, thanks.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
Woah, you're opening a huge can of worms with that question!

But the crux of it is that yeh, he has dominated the sport in the last 4 years with consecutive championships. Many people are saying that he just happens to be in the car designed by Adrian Newey during one of his Golden Ages, and that if you were to put him (Vettel) in anybody else's car he'd show himself to be the talentless, humourless hick that he is.

We've been shown glimpses of that on the occasions where things haven't gone all that well for him on a race weekend, the snapping back on the radio to his race engineer, the "that guy is crazy" hand motion when he took himself out of the 2010 Turkish GP, the constant whining to get "slower" cars out of his way, and also the ignoring team orders to "steal" the win away from his team mate.

In essence, Vettel is almost the perfect F1 heel, sort of a much less talented Michael Schumacher with a lot less of the "like I give a gently caress" attitude.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right, so Vettel is Schumacher without the grudging admission that he's actually a really good driver?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hammer Floyd posted:

Right, so Vettel is Schumacher without the grudging admission that he's actually a really good driver?

Sort of. Depends on whether you believe Schumacher was 'great.' He certainly put in the hours (constant testing) but he also benefitted from bespoke tires, the best car, a weak teammate, a ridiculously rich team, and at the time, the FIA was called Ferrari International Assistance only half jokingly.

In their own ways, you could make a rational case that neither was/is as great as their results suggest. It's an inevitable byproduct of the money, politics and ever evolving technology of the sport.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

darth cookie posted:

Sort of. Depends on whether you believe Schumacher was 'great.' He certainly put in the hours (constant testing) but he also benefitted from bespoke tires, the best car, a weak teammate, a ridiculously rich team, and at the time, the FIA was called Ferrari International Assistance only half jokingly.

In their own ways, you could make a rational case that neither was/is as great as their results suggest. It's an inevitable byproduct of the money, politics and ever evolving technology of the sport.

I think Michael proved his abilities at Benneton. Whether or not you think he deserves 7 titles (almost 8, stupid 1999) is a different question but clearly he is one of the elite.

Don't forget that Ferrari had been lagging for a good number of years until Michael and Ross Brawn joined them and kicked them up the arse to get in gear.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Schumacher was a better villain (or hero). He was the guy you either loved to hate, or loved to love.

Vettel, despite his occasional whining and some sense of humor, really isn't that interesting outside of the car.

That's just my opinion though, so maybe I'm full of poo poo.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Most annoying part is that RBR/Vettel don't embrace the immense dislike coming their way. Instead, they double down on likeability PR, only serving to make them more disliked.

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
Well, it's official - Riccardio has been disqualified.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's official, Redbull DSQ!

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/formel1/news-189516-offiziell-riccardo-in-melbourne-disqualifiziert/

ROS 1 MAG 2 BUT 3!

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

JonTheDon posted:

Well, it's official - Riccardio has been disqualified.

Sad for Ricciardo, happy for Red Bull.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Seriously?

Look, I know I only JUST started trying to follow the sport, but being disqualified for using too much fuel? That's bullshit. Using extra fuel required you to have more weight in your car and run the risk of having extra pit stops. Why limit how much fuel somebody could use?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Seriously?

Look, I know I only JUST started trying to follow the sport, but being disqualified for using too much fuel? That's bullshit. Using extra fuel required you to have more weight in your car and run the risk of having extra pit stops. Why limit how much fuel somebody could use?

If you start questioning the whys of F1 rule changes, you won't be following the sport for long ...

But that said, because all the other drivers adhered to the rule, however stupid it might be?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hammer Floyd posted:

and run the risk of having extra pit stops.

You can't refuel at pit stops

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And yeah, feel sorry for Danny. But get hosed Red Bull and hurray Our Jenson :unsmith:

[edit]

Their Magnusson: better than Hamilton??

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

Seriously?

Bit early for you to start questioning the rules if you've only just started following the sport. Happy for Big K'Mag!

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
I'm fine with fuel limits. I like the idea that the fastest engine should still be as fuel-efficient as possible. Then it becomes a genuine engineering challenge rather than just building a bigger, lighter version of the last one.

I'm intrigued as to how he could "consistently" exceed the 100kg/hr flow rate without running out of the 100kg of fuel he should have had on board though.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
Red Bull are appalling appealing

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/03/16/ricciardo-disqualified-from-second-place/

RBR posted:

Inconsistencies with the FIA fuel flow meter have been prevalent all weekend up and down the pit lane. The Team and Renault are confident the fuel supplied to the engine is in full compliance with the regulations.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

I'm fine with fuel limits. I like the idea that the fastest engine should still be as fuel-efficient as possible. Then it becomes a genuine engineering challenge rather than just building a bigger, lighter version of the last one.

I'm intrigued as to how he could "consistently" exceed the 100kg/hr flow rate without running out of the 100kg of fuel he should have had on board though.

He stored some extra kg of fuel in his big, grinning, mouth.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!

One way would be that they don't need 100kg for this race, only 75kg or so, but fuel with 80kg to be safe, and then the safety car and aborted start would allow you to burn through it quicker if you turn the engine up. Or too quickly in Smiley's case.

Edit: VVVV Like anything else in F1 there should only be one source of the truth, and the FIA have dictated that their fuel flow meter is it.

Daveh fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 16, 2014

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
From Adam Cooper:

quote:

Just heard from Christian Horner, he is adamant that Red Bull will prove its case on appeal
Bottom line is Red Bull opted to run to its own fuel readings and not to the FIA sensor which they did not trust
If true, oddly enough I'm not surprised the FIA don't accept the teams own readings...

EDIT:

quote:

Red Bull was warned during the race that @danielricciardo was over the limit, by the FIA's measure, but chose not to adjust settings

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

It's an instantaneous reading, at any single moment in time the fuel flow must not exceed 100kg/hr, but obviously at low engine speeds/throttle demand the instant rate will be much lower, and over a GP distance the average should be well below 100kg/hr. I guess the sensor was consistently reading high at WOT and that's what he's being dinged for.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Man, Claire Williams doing her "what a loving idiot" face would make for a great avatar

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

Lots of fun stuff in the official decision. There seems to be a procedure in place for a failed fuel flow meter and Red Bull didn't follow it.

http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f1-2014/f1-2014-01/Formula%20One%20Australian%20Grand%20Prix%202014%20Document%20-%2056.pdf

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The mis-spelt 'Infiniti' on the 5th line made me laugh far too hard.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Red Bull's tactic of "we're cleverer than the FIA" seems to have backfired here

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Hammer Floyd posted:

Seriously?

Flow rate is a major part of the new rules, it's the whole point of the powertrain.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
That's so disappointing. :(

Jakio
Oct 1, 2006
Mexican Goon
We need a gif of Kobe going Banzai! in the first lap.

Eb
May 6, 2003
The Vettel whining thing is basically just people making up reasons to dislike him beyond "he wins all the time". He complains on the radio about the same as the other drivers, and complaining on the radio is part of what makes F1 fun so I wouldn't have it any other way.

Also, this race makes it 11 times in a row he has outperformed his teammate :haw:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Eb posted:

The Vettel whining thing is basically just people making up reasons to dislike him beyond "he wins all the time". He complains on the radio about the same as the other drivers, and complaining on the radio is part of what makes F1 fun so I wouldn't have it any other way.

We'll have neither reason or facts in this thread thankyou very much.

:getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eb posted:

Vettel has been overheard crying to his engineer because drivers from other teams won't let him pass them. We don't need to make up reasons to hate him.

Meanwhile, it seems Red Bull have some upgrades planned for Malaysia.

• Locked thread