Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It's Monster Time!

The city of Bounty used to be the crown jewel of the Venuth Kingdom. It had everything. The mines were bountiful in precious metals. The fields were eternally lush and fertile, fed by irrigation systems built by the ancients. The forests were thick with wood and game. The mountains were a popular tourist destination, with a temple and everything! Even the location was perfect; a trade hub between two major rivers.

And then the Tower appeared, and everything went downhill. Every moonless night it would rise from the shadows and send forth terrors to ravage the countryside.

Soon after that came the Great Kobold Invasion. Now they infest the mines in infinite numbers!

Then harpies arrived to plague the mountain temple!

Then generations of dead rose from the graveyards to slay the living.

And beasts clogged the rivers!

And the forest came alive and rose up against the poor loggers!

Finally, the stubborn citizens who hadn’t yet fled turned into monsters themselves. Dark eyed, blank faced, and hostile, they would rant at visitors about the end of days before turning murderous.

The king sent bold knights to retake the city and clear the lands. Few returned alive. He sent out the call for mighty adventurers! When the first wave did not return, he doubled the reward. When the second wave failed, he offered even more. The reward kept growing, until Bounty was clogged with the corpses of bold fools.

Now the rewards stand: The King’s weight in gold. The Queen’s weight in precious gems. The gnome Jester’s weight in magical treasures. A ballad honoring the heroes to be sung annually across the nation. Matching statues of the heroes in Bounty and the Capital. Honorary knighthood. And the greatest prize of all for one hero, now that the Duke has gone mad, the title to Bounty and the surrounding lands, to be held and passed down in perpetuity so long as taxes and fealty are paid to the king.

Few are left to accept this challenge. The heroes of the land are all dead… Until the King started looking a little outside the box. He sent out the call to the farthest corners and the lowest depths. He would throw in a pardon for all crimes with the other rewards. He would accept anyone. The strange, the evil, the mad, the cursed… perhaps even the monstrous?

You are the most unusual band of adventurers the world has ever seen. The others were humans, and elves, and dwarves. That’s why they failed. The king sent men. He should have sent Monsters!

---------

I’m looking for two different groups to playtest my new Dungeon World playbooks and adventure. Only these playbooks are open but don’t worry, they’re awesome:
Ogre
Horde
Shadow Cat
Observer
Djinn
Pixie

Dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5i8laenlwz3xm0z/gz7sy7aN9e

Don’t get too crazy with re-skinning and customizing. I’m trying to gauge how stuff works and when stuff gets changed around that hurts my efforts. If you think something is dumb tell me and it will probably be fixed next playbook.

The first group will be pbp. I’m looking for exactly 6 players, one for each playbook. In general I’m judging on coolness and being creative while still maintaining the theme of your monster. These things will get you a huge boost in priority:

1. Submit a piece of art that I can use. It could be drawn by you, commissioned, or public domain. I’m bad at art so if you give me something cool I can slap on the front of a playbook you’re in.

2. Solemnly swear that you can post regularly sometime between noon and midnight PST. I’m looking for daily at a minimum, but faster is better.

3. Give honest first impression feedback on the playbook and promise to keep giving feedback as you play.

I’m also looking for a group of 3-4 players for Roll20 play. I’m thinking Friday at 4:00 PST for 2-3 hours. Semi-regularly until the adventure is done, but some Fridays might be skipped. You can submit apps for both, but for the sake of getting different character builds for playtesting please submit two different characters.

Make a level two character for your applications. Include a picture and a bio, standard procedure. Also answer this question: Why are you absolutely committed to salvaging the city of Bounty?

The IRC is #Monsterworld on irc.synirc.net

Recruitment will close around the 24th.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Timezone for the roll20 group?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
EDIT: Nothing to see here. Other dude's Horde idea is cooler than mine and I don't have time for another game anyway :colbert:

Something Else fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 17, 2014

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I'll do up a Displacer Beast, PbP though 'cause I got a schedule conflict with fridays.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I'm claiming a Beholder character, if I may. I'd prefer play-by-post, and I can definitely post every evening.

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 16, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
This will be hilarious to read.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Grand Necromancer Ithilius shuffled through the king's court as fast as his ancient bones could take him. With his right hand he moved his ornate summoning staff forward to help give himself a push forward, hoping not to damage the already tattered and torn black robes he had been given when he had first become a necromancer. One by one, he overcame each step to the king's throne like an obstacle, huffing and wheezing along the way until he had at last come to the king himself with the same dour look that had been etched upon his face since Ithilius had arrived.

"Your highness," the lich groaned, not customary to the realms of the living, "The procedure has been completed."

The king's face had changed from absolutely depressed to only mildly. Still, it was enough for the king to give a boast, "Very well, let us walk, then."

Ithilius prepared himself for another odyssey down the throne room stairs, and soon the two began their walk.

----------

"...Of course, the Psions wanted them to be able to read people's minds, and hunt whatever had a thought process. We decided that it would have been only marginally useful. Contrary to what rumors you may have heard, the undead don't just shuffle around yearning for brains. The lesser undead rarely have such a thought process. So we nixed that idea."

The king nodded, Ithilius droned on.

"And the occultists wanted them to embody every demonic essence available, even going so far to being made out of fire. I laughed at the idea, but the Psions didn't think it was so funny. 'We're trying to save this town, not burn it to the ground.' They would think to us. 'Your blood rituals and sacrifices have their place elsewhere.' Of course, that got their blood boiling, so..."

"Stop wasting my time, what did the task force end up creating?

Ithilius rolled his eyes at the king's words. Half of the beauty in creation was the thought process behind it, you righteous fool. "We... created a creature that feasts on souls, and even the hollowed out scraps that can be found inside a zombie can sate one for weeks on end. It's autonomous, so you won't have to monitor it at all times of the day. But they do respect a hive structure... here, take this." The necromancer produced an orb from the insides of his robes and handed it to the king.

"The psions created it to allow for a direct link of communication. With this, they will respect your absolute authority. They will see you as a... hive mind of sorts. The uses of the device are beyond the knowledge of a necromancer, but you can rest assured they will carry out your will to the letter, while you can worry about doing the more kingly tasks of the realm."

"Hmph." The king handled the orb in his right hand for a brief moment, then pocketed it. "I suppose that work is satisfactory enough. Shall we discuss your payment, then?"

What remained of the flesh on Ithilius' face grinned a stained grin, and the two continued their discussion through the blackened halls of the king's castle.

The Hive

pre:
The Hive

Countless Eyes
No Hair
No Clothing
Chitinous Body

STR: 12
DEX: 9 
CON: 17 (+2)
INT: 15 (+1)
WIS: 8 (-1)
CHA: 13 (+1) 

Population (HP): 32
Damage- 1d6+1
Armor: 0

Drive: Expand (Secure a new home for your species to inhabit)

Background: Insect (Take one more advantage from nature's gifts)

Moves

Dispersed: You may not use most equipment, including weapons and armor. Attacks intended
for a single target deal just one damage to you. Intelligent enemies may notice this advantage
and adjust their attacks.

Overcome (CON):
When you use sheer numbers to overcome an obstacle, roll +CON. On a 10+, you overwhelm the
obstacle with ease, on a 7-9, choose one.

-Many lives were lost, take 1d6 damage
-It is only temporarily overcome, you must hurry
-The Horde is forcibly split, take -1 ongoing until the horde is whole again.

Split Up (INT)
When you use your superior numbers to do many things at once, roll +INT. On a 10+, your many
members remain perfectly synchronized. On a 7-9, take -1 ongoing until the horde is whole again.
You cannot use this move if you have less than half your max HP.

Replenish
Most healing doesn't work on you, each HP lost means the death of one or more of your species.
Instead, whenever you spend some time near a place your species inhabits, roll +CHA. On a 10+
newcomers join and your horde is replenish, regain all lost HP. On a 7-9 your horde is
replenished, but first you must do something, choose one:

-Defeat a nearby enemy of your kind
-Show dominance
-Make an offering

Colonize
When you find a place your species can inhabit, you may take 2 damage and leave a viable
population. If you return later you may use the Replenish move in that location.

Nature's Gifts
Extra Sense (Soul detection): The Hive feeds off of the souls of the living and the dead.
Being as such, they can sense where nearby souls are.

Fast Reproducers: Whenever you mark off rations, gain +1d6 hp. If your group does
nothing else, gain +3d6 hp.

Fangs/Claws: +1 damage

Psychic: You can communicate telepathically (via emotions and alien impressions)

Construction Project (CON)
When you spend some time altering a structure, landscape, or region to be more suitable
to your needs, roll +CON. On a 10+, pick 1. On a 7-9 pick 2.

-There's a complication that doesn't match your vision.
-The work is slow and will take a long time to finish
-You have upset a local inhabitant.

Inventory:
2/4 load

nutrient rich food pods (10 uses, 1 weight)
fibrous building materials (2 uses, 1 weight)
Larval slime (Chalk) (10 uses, 0 weight)

Bonds

_______ disgusts us with his alien ways
_______ is a true friend to our kind
We believe that _________ holds the key to our survival
The silly antics of ________ amuse us.
Why are you absolutely dedicated to salvaging the city of bounty?: The Hive wishes to serve and protect its creator to the best of its abilities. Being recognized as such, whatever the king commands, the hive will obey without question.

Given my schedule, I can solemnly swear that I can post regularly between 2:00 and Midnight PST. Noon to Midnight on the weekends!

Available for PBP and Roll20, I'll submit my second build later.

Initial Impression- I like it a lot! I'm a little concerned about a few trait synergies, like having armor being paired with Dispersed. Having skills that proc off of CON, CHA, and INT can make the horde seem a little weak in combat, although taking one/no damage can offset that idea by a lot.

More feedback to come as I look at the rest of the rules. I really like Nature's gifts!

e: I do not understand the mechanics behind the Big trait.

double e: I'm a little concerned about the horde's carrying capacity, because it seems like a lot of what they can carry is limited to 1-2 weight items. When it comes to hauling something massive, I imagine I'd have to use one of my special moves to do that?

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 16, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I got the ogre covered.

pre:
Remi The Ogre

Tiny Eyes
No Hair
Ragged Clothing
Bulbous Body

STR: 16
DEX: 9 
CON: 15
INT: 12
WIS: 13
CHA: 8 

HP: 25
Damage- 1d10
Armor: 2

Alignment: Neutral (Eat a new kind of meat)

Background: Swamp (Immune to all poisons)

Moves

Break! (STR)
When you try to break any non-magical object, you do! Roll+STR 
*On a 10+ you break it and choose two options. 
*on a 7-9 you break it and choose one option, 
On a 6 or less you still break it, but the GM makes a move.
- You do it instantly.
- It is broken beyond all hope of repair.
- You don't hut anyone
- You don't draw unwanted attention

Break Your Bones
When you Hack and Slash an opponent that is small or tiny, 
on a 12+ you may crush it, killing it instantly.

Eat Meat FAST
When you eat fresh raw flesh heal 1d10 hit points. 
You can eat any kind of meat without ill effects. 
Next time you would mark off the use of a ration dont. 
You must take a short rest to digest before you can use this move again.
When you eat very quickly under duress, roll+Con, on a 10+ pick 2, on a 7-9 pick 1.
-It takes almost no time.
-It does not draw unwanted attention.
-You have not eaten something you shouldn't have

Big and Tough
Ogres have natural advantages and disadvantages. Pick Two Advantages
Tough Hide +2 Armor
Big Body: You get the Large Advanced Move

Then Pick one disadvantage
Impatient - When you Defend you always get distracted.
These effects happen regardless of you roll. 
If  you succeed on a roll you get the benefits 
of the success along with the drawback of your advantage.

Large
You are large! You may use Break Your Bones against 
any enemy that is not Large or Huge. Ignore the Two Handed tag 
on weapons and you may use unfeasibly large objects as 
two handed weapons. You cannot wear conventional armor.

Endless Appetite
You can eat almost anything without any ill effects. 
even things that aren't edible like rocks, weapons, or legendary artifacts. 
You can also eat indefinitely, you are never full and can use the 
Eat More Fast move as much as you want. Only fresh meat will heal you.

Gear
Load: 26
Dead Alligator (6 rations, 2 weight)
A Tree-Club (Reach, Messy, Forceful, 4 weight
Remi is no idiot, and for a Bayou Ogre he's quite brilliant. He figured out a long time ago that the men at the
port would trade him spices and exotic food for his gator skins and homemade rum. What he really got excited for
was something they called "Candy". Meat was good, often great, but candy was something else, it exploded on his
tongue with flavors both alien and exhilarating to him.

When he arrived at the port to trade for his monthly fix he was dismayed to find the town aflame and the traders
all fled. He searched the town for candy but only found dirty kobolds skulking about.
They knew nothing of candy and tasted of ash.

Having a craving like none other Remi wandered the countryside finding town after town destroyed, but no candy.
He eventually came upon the city of Bounty where there were men who knew of candy, but they told him he would need gold
if he wanted to trade for it...

A kings weight in gold? That should buy a lot of candy.

1. The art above is mine and you are welcome to use if for whatever you want.

2. Barring real life complications I should be able to post daily.

3. I dig The Ogre, there's Shrek vibe that's kinda cool, I also like the idea of a character that solves problems by eating them.
One thing I'd suggest, is an advanced move that lets you pick up more Big and Tough options.

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 16, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I AM BELZEGROND, MASTER OF FIENDISH ARTS AND ESOTERIC MAGYCKS. GAZE ON MY ARCANE MIGHT AND DESPAIR!"

As beholders go Belzegrond isn't actually that bad. By human standards they're an insufferable loudmouthed rear end in a top hat,
but they don't particularly enjoy slaughtering innocents or heaping misery on the powerless. By the standards of
their race they're downright soft-hearted!
Like all immature beholders, they haven't yet grown out all their eyes. Unlike most beholders, they have horns and a
spiky carapace. Maybe their parent ate demon or three too many before coughing out the brood Belzegrond was born from.

Most beholders would see working for humans as utterly beneath them. Belzegrond, well, doesn't exactly disagree, but...
a dukedom at this juncture is a fantastically early start on the long road to world domination. And it's not as though
any of these pitiful 'threats' pose any danger to a supremely perfect being like them :smug:

pre:

Belzegrond the Beholder

Look:

Inscrutable Eyes
Horned Brows
Decorative Satchel
Green Body

Drive: Tyrant. Subjugate someone.

Type: Dead Eye.
You are attuned to the other side. You can see ghosts and speak with the dead.
You gain the Disruption Eye in addition to your other choices.

Stats:

Strength     =  9/STR = +0
Dexterity    =  8/STR = -1
Constitution = 13/CON = +1
Intelligence = 16/INT = +2
Wisdom       = 12/WIS = +0
Charisma     = 16/CHA = +2

Damage = D4
Armour =  0

HP   = 17/17
LOAD =  2/2

Gear
Dungeon Rations       (5 uses, 1 weight)
Custom-Fitted Satchel (0 weight)

Bonds

Remi will serve me well.
I am always watching Ta'be. Nothing with tentacles can be trusted.
I have sworn to keep The Hive intact.

Moves

Floating Eye
You are a giant floating eye. You float, you eye, etc.

Awakened Eyes
You have a total of 10 4 eyes on mobile tentacles growing from your body.
These eyes can inflict magical effects. Eyes developed so far:
- Disrupting Eye  (disrupt machines, ghosts, undead)              Dam +0
- Dominating Eye  (inflict compulsions, emotions, obsessions)     Dam +0/+5
- Mystic Eye      (mutate, redirect, supercharge, or twist magic) Dam +1
- Telekinetic Eye (push, pull, lift, subtle manipulations)        Dam +1

Eyes Of Power
When you use your mighty eye powers to destroy whatever pitiful beings dare oppose
you, choose an eye and roll +INT. On a 10+, deal your damage and inflict
its special effect, then choose 1. On a 7-9 deal your damage or inflict
your eye effect, then choose 2.
When you use your eye powers to solve a problem, deal with an obstacle, or get out
of a tight spot, describe your action and roll +INT. On a hit, you get the desired
effect and choose 1. On a 7-9 choose another 1 as well.
      - That eye is exhausted. It closes and cannot be used until you rest.
      - Your magic is drained. Take +1 to all eye moves until you rest.
      - The power has unfortunate unforeseen consequences.
      - You draw unwanted attention or put yourself in a spot.

Not The Eyes!
Being covered with eyes isn't particularly advantageous. Whenever your eyes are
vulnerable roll +CON. On a 10+ your eyes are unharmed. On a 7-9 one of your eyes
is incapacitated and must close until you rest. On a 6- regardless of whatever
else happens one of your eyes is harmed.

Behold My Magnificence!
When you make bold claims about your own power, importance, or social standing
roll +CHA. On a 10+ choose 2. On a 7-9 choose 1.
      - Any NPCs in the vicinity who don't know you well believe your claims.
      - You don't offend anybody with your pompous proclamations. Or at least,
        you don't offend anybody who matters.
      - You feel very good about yourself. Take +1 forward.
This is a PBP app. I'm pretty sure I can post between noon/midnight fairly regularly.

Basically going for more of a utility/diplomacy character than a heavy hitter. I'm kind of going with a magical abomination/demonic theme here; turns out beholders are such assholes that fiendish contamination actually makes them more tolerable. Depending on how long this game goes I'm probably going to pick up Many Eyes, Tough Eyes, and Unique Eye. If we get to 6 or over I'm looking at All Eyes, Beam Prism, Enchanter's Eye Eyeless One, and Tougher Eyes. Not necessarily in that order though, it's just alphabetical :spergin:

Things I noticed while making this character:
- Text in many places is weirdly blurry.
- 'Races' seems like an odd choice of wording.
- Only 9 entries in Awakened Eyes.
- What do the Disruption and Mystic Eyes do exactly?
- Paralyzing Eye seems a bit redundant what with Dominating Eye. Maybe make it Petrifying?
- Wounding Eye seems superfluous at the moment.
- Eye Power mentions an 'eye bonus' that I can't find mentioned anywhere else.
- Eye Power's problem-solving 7-9 result seems more than a little severe; you don't even get a qualified success.
- Not The Eyes! has the tag (DEX) but rolls +CON.
- Evasive Maneuvers appears to be incomplete.

I'm sure I can find plenty of other stuff in this playbook and the others to give you comments/feedback for on IRC :v:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 26, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bucnasti posted:

Whoa dude

[pre] doesn't do word wrap, so you're kind of snapping the tables in half right now :v:

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

quote:

Initial Impression- I like it a lot! I'm a little concerned about a few trait synergies, like having armor being paired with Dispersed. Having skills that proc off of CON, CHA, and INT can make the horde seem a little weak in combat, although taking one/no damage can offset that idea by a lot.

More feedback to come as I look at the rest of the rules. I really like Nature's gifts!

e: I do not understand the mechanics behind the Big trait.

double e: I'm a little concerned about the horde's carrying capacity, because it seems like a lot of what they can carry is limited to 1-2 weight items. When it comes to hauling something massive, I imagine I'd have to use one of my special moves to do that?

You're right that how things work exactly, especially when they interact with other rules, is underexplained. It's both my weirdest and most exciting playbook, so it's the one I'm most worried about. Once you're no longer thinking about individuals some things can get wonky. I'll take another crack at it, maybe by just clarifying things on the third page.

I can tell you how armor pairs with Dispersed: not very well, but maybe I could explain it better. Basically if somebody just stabs the Horde they can do a max of 1 damage to it. If the horde is, say, tiny dwarves wearing heavy armor, then 3 hp is subtracted from the attack. If after the armor they take 0 damage then nothing happens. If, after the armor, they take 1-9999 damage then they take 1 damage. Armor would just mean that attacks that deal 1-3 damage would have no effect, but it would do absolutely nothing for attacks that end up hitting. Unless we're talking about attacks that can damage the whole horde, like a molotov cocktail or rolling a large rock around. Then armor works normally because dispersed does nothing.

Weight probably needs the most explaining. I'll actually think about making it much higher. The idea is that the horde just doesn't carry poo poo around for very long, and if it's something that you can wear like armor then there should be a copy of it for the majority of hordlings. For the Horde the armor all together is 2 weight though, not 2000 weight. You're right, carrying something huge from one place to another would be an Overcome.

Big is the biggest game changer in Nature's Gifts, not always for the better. Examples will probably help: You have 31/31 hp. You're hit by a massive attack from an orc. It deals 12 damage, you go down to 30/31. You're hit again for 3 damage, now you have 27/31 The bard heals you for 8 damage, now you're at 30/31. Instead of triggering on every hp dispersed only takes effect on the 5s.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope the PBP gets a Horde app that's literally just these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSYeqZYgSUk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bucnasti posted:

I got the ogre covered.

Aw man, I commissioned that drawing for nothing.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Lurdiak posted:

Aw man, I commissioned that drawing for nothing.

If I'm picking between two Ogres, the one that gives me free art that I can exploit wins.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Tollymain posted:

- Text in many places is weirdly blurry.
I have noticed that depending on the zoom. I think it has to do with the word template being converted to .pdf. Before I finalize it I'll see what I can do on the technical end to fix it. Worst case I'll work straight with Adobe.

- 'Races' seems like an odd choice of wording.
Yeah, it's not exactly your race. More like a race move. I guess I could changed it to "Attunement". In fact I'll do that now.

- Only 9 entries in Awakened Eyes
The blank is for "unique eye" one of the advanced moves.

- What do the Disruption and Mystic Eyes do exactly?
The third page has an elaboration on what the eye effects do. Disruption damages ghosts/spectral things and undead. Mystic twists magical effects.

- Paralyzing Eye seems a bit redundant what with Dominating Eye. Maybe make it Petrifying?
Dominating instills emotions, thoughts, or compulsions. Paralyzing stops things from moving. Maybe paralyzing is a little weak.

- Wounding Eye seems superfluous at the moment.
It has the highest damage bonus, otherwise it just does gruesome stuff.

- Eye Power mentions an 'eye bonus' that I can't find mentioned anywhere else.
3rd page, each eye comes with a different damage bonus. Some eyes have a more useful effect but deal less damage.

- Eye Power's problem-solving 7-9 result seems more than a little severe; you don't even get a qualified success.
Should be, on a 7-9 the effect happens and choose two.

- Not The Eyes! has the tag (DEX) but rolls +CON.
Fixed.

- Evasive Maneuvers appears to be incomplete.
Just a period as far as I can tell.

Double checked and I just didn't package it with the third page! Given the changes I just made here's the updated Beholder

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, I see.

In that case I suggest at least putting in something like "__________ Eye" to avoid confusion.

If it's all right I'm going to drop Chaos Eye because Disruption does what I expected Chaos to.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Weight probably needs the most explaining. I'll actually think about making it much higher. The idea is that the horde just doesn't carry poo poo around for very long, and if it's something that you can wear like armor then there should be a copy of it for the majority of hordlings. For the Horde the armor all together is 2 weight though, not 2000 weight. You're right, carrying something huge from one place to another would be an Overcome.

Big is the biggest game changer in Nature's Gifts, not always for the better. Examples will probably help: You have 31/31 hp. You're hit by a massive attack from an orc. It deals 12 damage, you go down to 30/31. You're hit again for 3 damage, now you have 27/31 The bard heals you for 8 damage, now you're at 30/31. Instead of triggering on every hp dispersed only takes effect on the 5s.

I think if that's the mindset you're going for, weight limits should be kept as-is. Especially considering that you can play as a swarm of insects/animals.

I... still don't understand how the Big mechanic works. My closest guess is that you subtract the closest factor of five from your result (hit for 3, 3-0 = 3. Healed for 8, 8-5 = 3), but the first example contradicts that. Could you write out the math in those examples to make following it a little easier?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

If I'm picking between two Ogres, the one that gives me free art that I can exploit wins.

If we both provide Art can we have two ogres?

If not, I whipped my art up in about an hour, if Lurdiak is commissioning real art then they can have The Ogre.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is turning into an arms race.

Luckily for me beholders don't have arms :mmmhmm:

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Arrrthritis posted:

I think if that's the mindset you're going for, weight limits should be kept as-is. Especially considering that you can play as a swarm of insects/animals.

I... still don't understand how the Big mechanic works. My closest guess is that you subtract the closest factor of five from your result (hit for 3, 3-0 = 3. Healed for 8, 8-5 = 3), but the first example contradicts that. Could you write out the math in those examples to make following it a little easier?

Think of it this way, you are a horde of kobolds and you're Big. You have 31 hp. Your horde is actually 7 full grown kobolds and 1 kobold baby.

Kobold 1 (5hp)
Kobold 2 (5hp)
Kobold 3 (5hp)
Kobold 4 (5hp)
Kobold 5 (5hp)
Kobold 6 (5hp)
Baby Kobold (1hp)

You take a big attack for 10 damage. The Baby always dies first. It's impaled on the spear, it's dead, you can't heal it. But no one else is hurt. So your horde now has 30 hp.

You take a second hit, for 3 damage. Kobold 1 eats it, now he has 2 hp left. It can be healed back up to 5. Leaving you with 6 healthy 5 hp kobolds and 1 dead baby. To replace your baby you will have to use the replenish move. You can't spread out damage among the kobolds, too complex, and I don't want the Horde player to be counting. But that's the idea of the "multiples of 5" with big.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Bucnasti posted:

If we both provide Art can we have two ogres?

If not, I whipped my art up in about an hour, if Lurdiak is commissioning real art then they can have The Ogre.

In the case of an art stand-off I will go with whoever gives me the MOST art or the BEST art. I profit greatly from an arms race. If somebody crazy decides to draw all the playbook monsters with the same awesome style they will blow the competition out of the water. Art of the environments we're going to or enemies you're anticipating will also tip the scales in your favor.

I thought your art was a no-go though, so everyone please mark art as usable or else I'll assume it's just ripped from deviantart or tumbler or whatever because that's what I always do.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Ah, ok. I totally get it now. Essentially we're treating the horde like a group of several characters with 5 hp each. Now I'm torn between having these strength-in-absolute numbers characters, and changing the app to a rag-tag band of goblin mercenaries who want nothing more than to loot and fight. Definitely a lot of diversity available in the class, which is perfect for dungeon world.

I'll mull it over tonight while I think up my other character app.

e: How does dispersed factor into the equation? Are all attacks viable to do ~5 damage, or do they still need to be large, sweeping strikes?

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 17, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
C'mon man app the gnomes :dance:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Poking at apping a Djinn, possibly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So I'm not sure it matters in this context, but it occurs to me Beholders are one of the few fantasy monsters copyrighted as Product Identity or somesuch by Wizards of the Coast. Just thought that might be worth mentioning.

My ogre commission is still forthcoming, but I feel uncomfortable fighting Bucnasti for the spot. Perhaps some kind of compromise can be reached?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Lurdiak posted:

So I'm not sure it matters in this context, but it occurs to me Beholders are one of the few fantasy monsters copyrighted as Product Identity or somesuch by Wizards of the Coast. Just thought that might be worth mentioning.

My ogre commission is still forthcoming, but I feel uncomfortable fighting Bucnasti for the spot. Perhaps some kind of compromise can be reached?

You can make a different app with a stolen picture and I'll still count the Ogre as an art contribution. Yeah, I'm going to give the Beholder out for free. I'll never sell that one. Hope that's enough to not get sued. If they give me a cease and desist I'll just have to take him out of my stuff or change enough to make it ok.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

You can make a different app with a stolen picture and I'll still count the Ogre as an art contribution. Yeah, I'm going to give the Beholder out for free. I'll never sell that one. Hope that's enough to not get sued. If they give me a cease and desist I'll just have to take him out of my stuff or change enough to make it ok.

You can always just give it a different name like "eye beast" or something.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The Observer

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
For people still interested but haven't submitted an app, or folks that don't want to compete, no one has claimed the Pixie yet I think. So far we've got an interest for the Displacer Beast and Djinn but no app too.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I'm interested in the pixie! Probably put a flaming goblin in.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Cool! I just updated the Pixie a second ago, mostly to fix a type but I also boosted the "Fairy" race to better match the power of the other two race moves. I realized on a second look that it's pretty inferior, and I bet for most players "Glow" is not an exciting power.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr. Prokosch posted:

You can make a different app with a stolen picture and I'll still count the Ogre as an art contribution.

Man I ain't giving you a free drawing if I don't get to play as an Ogre. No deal.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It's cool, you do what you want. If you want to compete for Ogre the pic will help. If you want to play something else the pic will help. If you want to play something else without the pic, choose something with less competition. It's all easy man, nothing but monster love in this room.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Getting timeouts on all your pdf links. It's probably on my end, but all the same, do you have any alternate urls? Or a direct download. I'm interested in this Pixie business.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Bugrit the Tooth Fairy

Most tooth fairies are calm creatures who feed gracefully on the calcium left to them by superstitious people. Not Bugrit. While stealing some antiquities, Bugrit found the motherlode: a dragon's tooth! He had to shrink and expand his stomach several times to help digesting the calcium block larger than him, and dropped into a deep sleep with the effort. When he woke, Bugrit burst into flames! It didn't hurt to much: The Dragon Fire burns within him now. Also he hears the Dragon talking in his head, and it wants something nasty. Never mind that. Bugrit has decided he wants to be rich, and have all the teeth. And his own dukedom. Duke Bugrit. Yes.

Additional move: Faery Fire
Race: Fairy
Drive: trickster

(Stats will be up later!)

PBP by the way.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 22, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

wtsnaename posted:

Getting timeouts on all your pdf links. It's probably on my end, but all the same, do you have any alternate urls? Or a direct download. I'm interested in this Pixie business.

I added a dropbox link. Used skydrive for a while despite being inferior because it was linked to my inferior phone. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5i8laenlwz3xm0z/gz7sy7aN9e

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ta'be, the Shadow
Look: Reflective Eyes, Silky Hair, Concealing Robes, Sleek Body

Ta'be isn't anything like his father - at least that's what he tells himself. His father had been a clever cat, but not ruthless - not willing to do what it takes to move up. That's why he died, in the dark of the woods, at the hands of a band of petty "adventurers". That won't be how Ta'be goes down. See, Ta'be's been smart about it - he's built himself something permanent, but ever evasive. No taxman would ever track down all of his warehouses, or root out all his henchmen, because they're ever shifting, ever deceptive - just as Ta'be has had to be.

And now all this mess about Bounty - a human city, now overrun with the worst dregs of the world. But they're too dumb to take all the loot - there must be a treasure trove underneath all the death and sludge. Ta'be aims to get it all, and put it back into making his operation seem more like a... legitimate business.

quote:

Level 2 Displacer Beast

STR: 12 // 0
DEX: 16 // +2
CON: 9 // 0
INT:16 // +2
WIS: 8 // -1
CHA: 13 // +1

Damage: d6
Armor: 0
HP: 15/15

Drive: Cool - Do something extremely impressive without seeming to care.
Race: Shadow Cat - When you are in complete darkness you gain 1 more concealment whenever you gain concealment.

Starting Moves
Displacement
You always project a false image of yourself a few feet away from your body. When this is to your advantage you get +2 to Defy Danger and +1 to Hack & Slash.

Concealment
When you hide in the shadows to avoid notice, roll +DEX. *On a 10+, gain 2 concealment. +On a 7-9, gain 1. When you have at least 1 concealment, you are concealed and cannot by noticed by any creatures. When you do anything that might provoke notice, such as Hack & Slash, Defy Danger, or moving quickly, lose one concealment. Some moves only work while concealed.

Pounce
When you lunge from the shadows to attack an enemy while concealed, roll +DEX. *On a 10+, choose two. *On a 7-9 choose one:
- You deal your damage +1d6
- You can immediately dart back into the shadows with Concealment.
- You create an advantage - +1 forward to your or an ally when acting on it.
- You impress, frighten, or dismay your enemy.

Barbed Tentacles
You have formidable natural weapons. They are part of your body, so they can never be dropped and you can never be disarmed. Your tentacles are extremely agile and allow you to manipulate objects as if you had hands. Your natural weapons have the following tags: Hand, Close, Precise. Your tentacles are unique, choose one more tag to distinguish them:
- Strong forceful

Cat's Eye
You can see in complete darkness. In addition your eyes are attuned to magic. The GM will tell you when something is magical.

Monstrous Tongue
You are capable of learning most languages but your voice betrays your predatory nature. Whenever you speak with an NPC roll +CHA. *On a 10+, you convey only what you intend. *On a 7-9, they also believe that you hate them.

Advanced Moves
Blink
When you bend space to teleport somewhere within your line of sight, roll +INT. *On a 10+, you instantly appear where you want, bypassing any obstacles in your way. *On a 7-9, choose one:
- You were off-target and now you're in a tight spot.
- You draw unwanted attention to yourself.
- You are temporarily stunned or confused.

Gear
Prey animal (rations, 5 uses, 3 weight)
Load: 3/4

I want to play, but I can only seriously commit to 1 post per day, PBP only.

Something Else fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 28, 2014

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Art is by David A. Trampier

Sir Whiskerton, the runaway pet.
Reflective eyes, silky hair, no clothes, long body

Sir Whiskerton lived the life of luxury within the walls of castle Venuth. As the favorite companion of one of the young princes, Sir Whiskerton had free reign to do as he pleased within the walls. While chasing a mouse late one summer night he wandered into the court alchemist’s lab. Caught up in the hunt, he leapt after the mouse with a bit too much enthusiasm, crashing into a table leg causing the potions above to tip over, drenching him in the magical liquid. Doing as any other cat would do, he began to clean himself, in the process ingesting far more potion juice than would be safe for a human, let alone a housecat.

When the alchemist came rushing in to find his lab in shambles and Sir Whiskerton at its center, he knew the outcome would be disastrous. The alchemist, fearing the potentially horrible results of the potion overdose, asked the king to put Whiskerton down but the king, out of a sense of mercy in his heart and not wanting to break the heart of his young son, simply drove him out of the castle. Sir Whiskerton “ran away” that night.

Sir Whiskerton made his home in the nearby forest, hunting wildlife and playing tricks on any humans that wandered in alone. The contamination from the magical potions gradually transformed him, causing him to grow several times larger, enhancing his intellect and capability for speech and also to grow two large tentacles from his whiskers, dripping and oozing like the juice that transformed him. Years have passed, and word of the fate of Bounty, more importantly the reward, drifted into the forest. Wanting desperately to return to the indulgences of his previous life, he once again leaves his home in order to claim the title. “Duke Whiskerton? I like the sound of that.”

quote:

Level 2 Displacer Beast

STR: 12 (+0)
DEX: 16 (+2)
CON: 13 (+1)
INT: 8 (-1)
WIS: 16 (+2)
CHA: 9 (+0)

Race: Hunting Cat: When you follow a trail of clues left behind by passing creature, roll +WIS. On a 7+, you follow the creature's trail until there's a significant change in its direction or mode of travel. On a 10+, you also choose 1: Gain a useful bit of information about your quarry, the GM will tell you what OR Determine what caused the trail to end.
Drive: Playful: Tease and torture someone.

Starting Moves:
Displacement: You always project a false image of yourself a few feet away from your body. When this is to your advantage you get +2 to Defy Danger and +1 to Hack & Slash.

Concealment (DEX): When you hide in the shadows to avoid notice, roll +DEX. *On a 10+, gain 2 concealment. +On a 7-9, gain 1. When you have at least 1 concealment, you are concealed and cannot by noticed by any creatures. When you do anything that might provoke notice, such as Hack & Slash, Defy Danger, or moving quickly, lose one concealment. Some moves only work while concealed.

Pounce: When you lunge from the shadows to attack an enemy while concealed, roll +DEX. *On a 10+, choose two. *On a 7-9 choose one:
- You deal your damage +1d6
- You can immediately dart back into the shadows with Concealment.
- You create an advantage - +1 forward to your or an ally when acting on it.
- You impress, frighten, or dismay your enemy.

Barbed Tentacles: You have formidable natural weapons. They are part of your body so they can never be dropped and you can never be disarmed. Your tentacles are extremely agile and allow you to manipulate objects as if you had hands. Your natural weapons have the following tags: Hand, Close, Precise. Your tentacles are unique, choose one more tag to distinguish them: Sticky, Disarming.

Cat's Eye: You can see in complete darkness. In addition your eyes are attuned to magic. The GM will tell you when something is magical.

Monstrous Tongue: You are capable of learning most languages but your voice betrays your predatory nature. Whenever you speak with an NPC roll +CHA. *On a 10+, you convey only what you intend. *On a 7-9, they also believe that you hate them.

Advanced Moves:
Deadly Pounce: When you deal damage with Pounce you deal an extra 1d6.

Gear:
Current Load: 3
Max Load: 4
Prey Animal: rations, 5 uses, 3 weight

I really like the Displacer Beast's diversity which lets you make the character into some combination of Rogue, Fighter and Ranger classes. Just take a look at the differences between mine and Something Else's app above. His character focused on INT and CHA for the blinking ability and presumably Black Cat, while mine has WIS for hunting and tracking. Whether I'll turn out any good... we'll see.

I'm available for Roll20 4:00 PM on Fridays. That'll be great.

E: VV Good catch.

Gaffle fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 22, 2014

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I like your more animalistic take on the DB, Gaffle. Though I think you forgot to +1 one of your main stats for being Level 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I realized after a couple attempts that I am unqualified to supply decent art so despite interest don't wait for an app from me or anything.

• Locked thread