Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SyRauk posted:

I don't understand why Amy Chua is on television.

I'M A TIGER MOM! *giggle*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That, and if there's something Bill's always enjoyed talking at people about, it's how other people should raise their kids *while* he preaches about how he never wanted any. Chua was on there to agree with his parenting advice.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I was hoping they'd ask the panel (particularly Andrew Sullivan) about their plane crash theories. I had a feeling he'd have an odd one.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

SyRauk posted:

I don't understand why Amy Chua is on television.
What do you mea-

Oh, love how she's supporting the Cadillac ad as it has certain "truths", such as Americans are the most hard-working and industrious people on the planet, when her entire claim to loving fame is that she extolls the virtue of a Chinese-style upbringing to combat the inherent laziness of Western youths due to their decadent parents.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, that loving sneer on her face whenever MacFarlane said something was telling.

"You're one of the PARASITES who puts out things that distracted my children from their *schoolwork* and planted a notion in their minds that they could be something without getting into an Ivy League school!" *hssssss*

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chrystia Freeland is always making those scrunchy faces when she goes on the show too for some reason.

Lolly Poopdeck
Oct 21, 2010

by zen death robot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, that loving sneer on her face whenever MacFarlane said something was telling.

I don't even think it was a sneer. I honestly think she just didn't know how to react and that's the expression her face makes when her brain gets stuck in a while loop. I've seen Japanese sex bots that make a more convincing human being than her.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The mistake you're all making is assuming she actually believes anything she says.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW
The new rule segment about the movie Noah (2014) was pretty funny. It's amazing how people still loose their minds about perceived historical/fictional inaccuracy in Hollywood films.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Ungoal posted:

The new rule segment about the movie Noah (2014) was pretty funny. It's amazing how people still loose their minds about perceived historical/fictional inaccuracy in Hollywood films.

Considering what I've heard about how the film ends I think Bill would actually have a good laugh and probably wouldn't have done that segment if he had known. It's going to rile the gently caress out of Christians.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

ApexAftermath posted:

Considering what I've heard about how the film ends I think Bill would actually have a good laugh and probably wouldn't have done that segment if he had known. It's going to rile the gently caress out of Christians.

Well please, do tell! :allears: In spoilers, of course. :D

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Ungoal posted:

Well please, do tell! :allears: In spoilers, of course. :D

I heard this second hand about people who who saw test screenings but apparently Noah decides none of them are worth surviving and murders everyone on the ark.

Director apparently has final cut on the film too so if that is true then then the studio might be hosed. I'm not sure what to believe to be honest.

EDIT: To be more specific people in the Greenlight thread in CineD apparently posted about seeing it. And the goon apparently was breaking an NDA saying what happens.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 16, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont think the director has final cut but the ending the studio wanted to push actually tested worse than the directors original ending so they just said gently caress it release what you want

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You guys are being way too hard on Amy Chua. She just has a really bad case of bitchy resting face.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

comes along bort posted:

You guys are being way too hard on Amy Chua. She just has a really bad case of bitchy resting face.

Her bad case of being a terrible person predates that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Like I said though, she's just a troll, in the same sense as the Westboro Baptist Church. Only idiots get mad at either.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
She's closer to Coulter in terms of trying to make a buck by giving a ravenous audience a platform for what they want to hear as a means to further justify their perceived "clout".

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Bill seems to suffer what I notice from a lot of boomers, they view the generation after them as lazy and spoiled. Great every generation does this, so what's their proof? After anecdotal evidence about smartphones and not being outside more they have nothing! Basic things like cost of living, education costs, actual retirement tilt way more in their favor; so all they have to throw at us is iPhones and the perception we don't work hard enough or something. "Tiger Mom" just boosts Maher's view of this, just like that 3 minute sidetrack with PJ O'Rourke the other week.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It'll never cease being funny the same people who created the concept of "play dates" bitching about kids not going outside.

There is a thing with a lot of younger adults where they need expectations and goals spelled out for them way more explicitly than people even a few years older. But that's more a symptom of overbearing parenting and micromanaged childhoods rather than laziness. The people I've dealt with like that are the exact opposite of lazy.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW
Baby boomers without a doubt had it the best while growing up. From what I've seen Bill mostly mocks Gen Y's obsession with reality TV and social media, not their living conditions or access to education, etc.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Radio Nowhere posted:

Bill seems to suffer what I notice from a lot of boomers, they view the generation after them as lazy and spoiled. Great every generation does this, so what's their proof? After anecdotal evidence about smartphones and not being outside more they have nothing! Basic things like cost of living, education costs, actual retirement tilt way more in their favor; so all they have to throw at us is iPhones and the perception we don't work hard enough or something. "Tiger Mom" just boosts Maher's view of this, just like that 3 minute sidetrack with PJ O'Rourke the other week.

I've been reading PJ's new book and yeah, it's a boomer thing. PJ has a good take on Boomers. Despite being a right winge,r or probably in part because of it, he has an acute awareness of the ridiculous fake leftist bullshit his generation got up to and their weird smug superiority/judgement. Unfortunately he's not immune to it either, but his book does a pretty good job laying out what the gently caress is up with Boomers, how they got that why, why it sucked, but also why it wasn't too bad. PJ's "kids these days" poo poo has always been sympathetic, or at least aware of the stupid poo poo Boomer kids got up to.

loving Boomers man. They can't remember any songs recorded after 1986 and they think they're so cool for ruining the world and wrecking the economy beause they had the Beatles.

Despite being left wing, I highly recommend PJ O'Rourke's bookse because 1) He's the republican Hunter S. Thompson and B) He's one of the last bastion's of pre-Tea party conservatism. Seriously, if you enjoy political humor/satire check out Parliament of Whores, Republican Party Reptile, and Holidays in Hell. See the glory of the Cocaine Republican. A sadly lost species of political rival we should mourn in this Michelle Bachman era.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW
The thing I hate most about boomers (not all, I know) is their willful ignorance towards understanding things in contemporary society such as the internet, networking, smartphones, entertainment etc. If I was a boomer I'd be loving stoked about all these things. Imagine growing up in the 60's & 70's, that had to loving suck.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Ungoal posted:

The thing I hate most about boomers (not all, I know) is their willful ignorance towards understanding things in contemporary society such as the internet, networking, smartphones, entertainment etc. If I was a boomer I'd be loving stoked about all these things. Imagine growing up in the 60's & 70's, that had to loving suck.

Nope those were the good old days before tech made us too overstimulated or whatever *garbles 10,000 cocks* /boomer

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Ungoal posted:

Imagine growing up in the 60's & 70's, that had to loving suck.

Yeah, how boring cheap drugs and free love must have been. I love my tech, but that doesn't mean people didn't know how to enjoy themselves in the past.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Get off my lawn you self absorbed millennial twittering twats! :freep: Gen X best Gen, we brought you awesome things like Ronald Reagan, AIDS, and the criminalization of the poor. :colbert:

Bill's also referring to lazy 20-30 something parents that set up basketball hoops in their streets and playgrounds in their backyards or park their kids in front of a tv because they are too lazy and too busy posting pics of their kids or what they had for lunch on Facebook to actually walk their children down the street to the playground without a major effort.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 18, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

sleepingbuddha posted:

Yeah, how boring cheap drugs and free love must have been. I love my tech, but that doesn't mean people didn't know how to enjoy themselves in the past.

Drugs were cheap back then because they weren't very good.:ssh:

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

sleepingbuddha posted:

If you can't get cheap drugs and free "love" as you put it in the digital age of 2014 then you're a recluse of epic proportions. Sorry, hippie drum circles & Walter Cronkite on every station back then doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW
Anyone else looking forward to Maher's commentary/new rules on Fred Phelps' death tomorrow? It's going to be glorious.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
He's a bit out of his element with Errol Morris.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

comes along bort posted:

He's a bit out of his element with Errol Morris.

Holy poo poo that is an understatement. I want to punch the poo poo out of Bill Maher right now watching this. What a loving dickhead.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

ApexAftermath posted:

Holy poo poo that is an understatement. I want to punch the poo poo out of Bill Maher right now watching this. What a loving dickhead.

I can't watch this till tomorrow night. Summary on what just happened?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Ungoal posted:

I can't watch this till tomorrow night. Summary on what just happened?

Bill is huge prick to him. For some reason he tries to quibble with Morris about exactly how bad Rumsfeld was and keeps harping on "well he wasn't the worst!". I have no loving idea why Maher had to white knight Rumsfeld.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013

ApexAftermath posted:

What a loving dickhead.

That should be the next thread title.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Errol Morris kind of came off making me wonder if he was medicated or slightly drunk, but then Bill started defending Rumsfeld. The 'Rumsfeld Grin' thing was what baffled me. It's the same grin Dubya had. That grin that said "I can't believe some of you are actually *BUYING* this bullshit."

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Errol Morris kind of came off making me wonder if he was medicated or slightly drunk, but then Bill started defending Rumsfeld. The 'Rumsfeld Grin' thing was what baffled me. It's the same grin Dubya had. That grin that said "I can't believe some of you are actually *BUYING* this bullshit."

See I felt like Morris wasn't coming off "drunk" until Bill started really acting like an rear end. It was like Morris tried to play ball with the pedestrian interview, but Bill wanted to be an obnoxious twat and was upset that Morris wasn't peppy or whatever so he laid into him.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is Shane Smith's criticisms of Canada and Scandinavian true?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Errol Morris kind of came off making me wonder if he was medicated or slightly drunk

I thought it was more he didn't give a poo poo about what Bill was saying because it was all so stupid and was just trying to play the interview in sort of a sarcastic comedic way.

We all know Bill has some mega-stupid opinions, I think Morris handled it the right way by being almost laughingly dismissive.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Shane Smith's criticisms of Canada and Scandinavian true?

Yep.

In Canada, great successes are treated like an abaration. We're culturally conditioned to be small-c conservatives on anything approaching ambition. Ironically, the only people who really believe in what I'd call "Canadian Exceptionalism" are the big-c Conservatives like Stephen Harper.

But just about everyone else who isn't on some kind of Conservative direct mailing list just sort of snickers at the idea of Canada doing things like trying to pump itself up into a petrostate, or sending John Baird to look like he's about to take a stress poo poo on the he floor of the UN General Assembly while he rails against this nation and that nation, or buying a bajillion dollars (CAD) in carrier based fighter jets when a) we don't have any air craft carriers, and b) the loving planes don't even work.

And yet they still try...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

...or buying a bajillion dollars (CAD) in carrier based fighter jets when a) we don't have any air craft carriers, and b) the loving planes don't even work.

To be fair, CF-188s do occasionally do carrier quals on US carriers, and I've heard the arrestor hooks are used to land planes on smaller runways you've got *way* up north. But yeah, it's dumb that you fell for the F-35 scam and you should've bought Eurofighters. But hey, sooner or later (more than likely later), you'll have *another* nation's carrier to land on, the one that still claims tongue-in-cheek 'dominion' over you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

gently caress, Bill needs to stop doing those scripted comedy bits mid-show. That ice cream one was just godawful. :rolleyes: At least he had the sense to ragequit the bit went it went off the rails, but he needs to stop it period.