Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Doc Block posted:

used to do the same thing back when i worked at walgreens photo.

one time i opened up a disposable camera to get the film out, but in the process had pulled the front of the camera off. handed the camera to another photo tech to throw in the box, and his finger shorted the flash capacitor. boy was he mad...

i shocked myself as a kid. i got one of those and nobody told me you take the whole thing to the shop and I wanted to get the film out.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Doc Block posted:

if you're using eagle 6.5 you can just upload your PCB schematic file to Osh Park, no need to generate gerber files or any of that poo poo.

gerbers are so insanely simple that if you cant figure it out you prob shouldnt be making boards

although if anybody's like usin diptrace and gettin confused about it lmk :3:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sweevo posted:

i dunno. i think building one can be a good learning exercise. the big plus point to 8-bit stuff is that all the chips are available in DIP packages so it's easy to hand solder everything, and adding memory and peripheral chips is really simple. even just the step up to 16-bit means everything is surface mounted and the bus designs don't really lend themselves to just slapping on more chips and everything just working. plus 8-bit cpus are slow enough that you don't have to worry about all the spergy stuff like track lengths and clock phasing

lol if you cant hand-solder at least TQFPs and 0603s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can diptrace generate vector outlines for routing on a mill? like, not the center of the trace, but the edges so you can do isolation milling

that would be sweet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk, maybe? ive seen boards fabbed on a router that were designed in it

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Since there are still people talking caps, I shall state I learned what a capacitor was when my evil best friend was walking toward me in the hall at school when I was 12 and went "hey buddy, catch"

Later in that year we worked on stun guns based on disposable cameras, and one other friend still has scars from that.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Citizen Tayne posted:

*puts on KNOW YOUR ROOTS NES t-shirt*
*was born in 1993*

this but unironically

Dec 26, 2012

crossposting with a few posts for reference:

tacodaemon posted:

Carrie Brownstein used to use the Super Hard-On pedal in Sleater-Kinney. This hard-on comes in three delightful designs

booshi posted:

I love the Super Hard On and the designs but holy poo poo those are like $170 new and all they are inside is:

2 caps, 2 diodes, 4 resistors, 1 transistor and 1 pot. You could make one of these in like an hour. Maybe I should...

e: non-schematic for the less technically inclined.

booshi posted:

e:^^^^^^ If you can read schematics (that was the only image that was less technical that I could find):

Harry in Rio posted:

if you build it, you should document that poo poo so we can build a whole bunch of SUPER HARD ONS

booshi posted:

Man if anyone knows a good electronics supply store in the Boston area let me know. The Shack sucks.

Also, looks like we have a HARD ON race on our hands.

01011001 posted:

alright so lets talk about SUPER HARD ONs, at length

so i got all my poo poo together as listed before in booshis picture/diagrams (thanks for getting this all rolling by the way). the parts i used (designation on diagram):

resistors:
-2 10Mohm (R1, R2)
-1 100kohm (R5)
-1 5.1kohm (R3)
-1 330ohm (R6)

pots:
-1 5kohm, audio (R4)

caps:
-1 .1uF tantalum (C1)
-1 10uf electrolytic (C2)

diodes:
-2 1n4148 (D1, D2)
-1 red LED i forget the specifics so w/e (LED)

transistors:
-1 IRF510 (Q1)

this, a 9v, and a project box cost me like $30 buying local. if you buy online from digikey or something it would definitely be less, probably closer to $20

my circuit was pretty similar to the listed one. the main differences are that i put an on/off switch (right now its the big one, ill move that to a side switch later and make the big one switch between pedal operation and shorting the signals once i pick up a SPDT version of that one) in front of the 9v line and i put a LED in series with a 330ohm resistor (labeled below as R6) to designate when its on. the diagram i used, slightly rearranged from the previously given one:

(note that i hosed up while drawing that, in the actual circuit the pot is mirrored vertically because im using an audio pot and not an antilog so the wiper is connected to the IRF510 source and not ground.)

anyhow i wired that poo poo up. got a little project box, stuffed an old breadboard in there, drilled a few holes for audio jacks + the 9v mounting screw and wires + the led leads + the pot + the switch. my first try i wired up the switch poorly and then nothing worked and i took it all apart before figuring out what i did wrong and had to reassemble everything :thumbsup:

one thing i did fix between when i took that and now was that i got stereo jacks and had both channels plugged in there so i later snipped the unused one.

and here is the final product. feast your eyes on my SUPER HARD ON

as mentioned before the pot is pretty much binary, once you get past a certain threshold it goes from clean to gain. i recorded both for reference (ignore the lovely mic quality, i just used my laptop mic):

http://tindeck.com/listen/mqef

in conclusion, my SUPER HARD ON finished early, as usual :gizz:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what the gently caress is a super hard on other than what i had last night

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
some guitar pedal thing the chick from portlandia used back when she was in a band called sleater-kinney

Dec 26, 2012

yep. you can see what it does from the tindeck link there

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Doc Block posted:

some guitar pedal thing the chick from portlandia used back when she was in a band called sleater-kinney

I've never heard of Sleater-Kinney.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

I've never heard of Sleater-Kinney.

3 ugly girls who can't sing, don't play their instruments very well, and perform crappy indie music.

SA mod/admin/whatever Corin Tucker's Stalker was named after one of the girls in sleater-kinney

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

01011001 posted:

crossposting with a few posts for reference:

good work. you're gonna get problems with that breadboard though. should have used stripboard or something

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, don't use a solderless breadboard.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
this thread is living up to its name.

Dec 26, 2012

spankmeister posted:

good work. you're gonna get problems with that breadboard though. should have used stripboard or something

yeah, im gonna swap it out later

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

3 ugly girls who can't sing, don't play their instruments very well, and perform crappy indie music.

:raise:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

get out your soldering iron and make a respectable board please

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

sleater-kinney sucks, sorry bro.

at least carrie brownstein is funny in portlandia.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hey so uh remember mr. superawesome's ganja unified theory from a couple pages ago?

well not to be a callout or anything but he has some just lovely things to say about the disappearance of that malaysian airlines plane in the AI airplanes thread

quote:

oh hai guys i'm new to this whole thread or whatever but i'm looking to do some really technical advanced theoretical particle/astrophysics on the plane data and try and see some parallels; where's the best place to get a timeline of the raw data we know about MH370 at this point, along with a timestamped/location stamped communication history, and each bit of data associated with said communication?

i'm incredibly curious about the fact that the plane's possible path is in two locations; and I think there might be some crazy advanced physics and general relativity under it all (hence the super weirdness and complete lack of comprehension we have atm), along with wierd anomalous data (i've read stuff about it dropping 40k FT in 1 minute, which is weird.)

quote:

i think it's currently as of yet un-observed general-relativistic effects. The reason we haven't noticed them so far is purely a function of energy and evolution - humans wouldn't have had the collective capacity to understand it unless they'd had enough time + food and weede (all from the sun's energy) - which is just thermodynamics of information and time.

:allears:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=467#post427024753

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

another tragic case of weed psychosis

don't bother banning him it will take its course and he will die soon

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
every webforum needs its resident developer of insane physics theories

i remember being on a small video game forum years ago and there was a dude there who was convinced he had come up with a completely new theory of physics that would unify gravity and relativity and poo poo, and his main breakthrough was that force is actually equal to mass times velocity instead of acceleration like we had all thought

he got mocked mercilessly and from that day forward people would say "F=mv" to make fun of him; it was pretty funny

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Sagebrush posted:

hey so uh remember mr. superawesome's ganja unified theory from a couple pages ago?

well not to be a callout or anything but he has some just lovely things to say about the disappearance of that malaysian airlines plane in the AI airplanes thread

:allears:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=467#post427024753

actualyl i think i have 100% solved general relativity and the weighting terms thru number theory. also the math works out (amusingy) and it's just like the hitch hiker's guide to the galazy predicted but in terms of information entropy. if i am right, there's a solar flare gonna hit in like 10 - 30 mins and the earth's mag field will flip some time soon. i have no idea of the certainty in my measurement but i'm certain of the dimensionality. - wait maybe 3 month delay. due to mass/energy. idfk. dimensions are weird i need to do more graphs

sorry in advance from nature if ur shitposting is disrupted

the main idea is we've been doing mass/energy/momentum mass wrong - it's in terms of solar mass over total universe mass. all our calculations are in terms of earth mass and thus have a 5/9 2/10 * 2^7 order correction due to other planets in the solar system (plus a couple of harmonics) which is where our math is wrong

if u do logs in base 2/10/8 u can calc it too

Mr SuperAwesome fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 16, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

sleater-kinney sucks, sorry bro.

at least carrie brownstein is funny in portlandia.

not a big fan anymore but i don't see how looks factor into it

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

dimensions are weird i need to do more graphs

post graphs please tia

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
see i really cant remember superawesome being this batshit in the past so i gotta assume its a troll, but if it is a troll wow there's a lot of effort going into it

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i figure he's either discovered markov chains, is reposting from losethos man's website, or schizophrenia has manifested itself

sadly its probably the third thing and it does commonly manifest in one's early 20s

seek help, mrsuperawesome

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

oh i'm fully aware this is completely insane but i think it's just a new way of looking at things that nobody has done before, because, our human operating system is in fact a piece of poo poo. i think the possiblity of an operating system indeed being a piece of poo poo is an idea we can get behind.

the lol thing is if i'm right it's skynet, the singularity, general relativity, the goldback conjecture, hawking radiation, strong-weak unification force all in one which would pretty lol if a lowly yosposter did that. i mean look at my loving posting i am awful

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

oh i'm fully aware this is completely insane, because, our human operating system is in fact a piece of poo poo.

right. get help

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

well, actually its more that its more like linux with no sound/windows me. kind of ok, gets u thru the day, but lol if u run windows me in 2014 wtf dude

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
tcc is thataway

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

oh i'm fully aware this is completely insane but i think it's just a new way of looking at things that nobody has done before, because, our human operating system is in fact a piece of poo poo. i think the possiblity of an operating system indeed being a piece of poo poo is an idea we can get behind.

the lol thing is if i'm right it's skynet, the singularity, general relativity, the goldback conjecture, hawking radiation, strong-weak unification force all in one which would pretty lol if a lowly yosposter did that. i mean look at my loving posting i am awful

ok yeah

Socracheese posted:

schizophrenia has manifested itself

completely unironically: you are ill, go see a doctor

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 16, 2014

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

look at it this way: you go and see a shrink and one of two things happen:
1) you are certified unschizophrenic in which case great that's a step forwards to being taken more seriously
2) you are certified schizophrenic in which case great that's a step forwards to getting help

which do you think will happen?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

i'm definitely interested in learning more about this new physics from Mr TobleroneTimeCubular over here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hahaha jesus loving christ. i'm going over the designs for our competition robot this year and checking some specs because we kept blowing the main circuit breaker in competitions. it's rated for 150 amps, but can do 300 amps for a short period of time (about 90 seconds). matches are only 2.5 minutes long. our batteries are 12 amp-hours so *in theory* we can make it just about an entire match drawing the maximum current before the battery craps out, if the breaker could handle it.

ran the numbers and it turns out our maximum draw, with the air compressor running, two elevation motors holding our aiming mechanism at a specific angle against gravity and all six main drive motors in stall (happens when going from full forward to full reverse), is...

980 amps

well that explains why the breaker kept popping when we got into shoving matches. :psyduck: these kids are insane

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

MeruFM posted:

this thread is living up to its name.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Post Your Idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

hahaha jesus loving christ. i'm going over the designs for our competition robot this year and checking some specs because we kept blowing the main circuit breaker in competitions. it's rated for 150 amps, but can do 300 amps for a short period of time (about 90 seconds). matches are only 2.5 minutes long. our batteries are 12 amp-hours so *in theory* we can make it just about an entire match drawing the maximum current before the battery craps out, if the breaker could handle it.

ran the numbers and it turns out our maximum draw, with the air compressor running, two elevation motors holding our aiming mechanism at a specific angle against gravity and all six main drive motors in stall (happens when going from full forward to full reverse), is...

980 amps

well that explains why the breaker kept popping when we got into shoving matches. :psyduck: these kids are insane

what the gently caress is the electrical system like 1 volt or are you pulling multiple kilowatts out of the battery