Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I remember I used to think that the labs were meant to be sterile in the games, then I played through the REmake. The lab in that game is pretty drat filthy. It makes me wonder what all the other games would look like with the remake treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

timeandtide posted:

There was a blog that describes the original outline of RE5 complete with concept art and it sounded rad. Wesker has an underground volcano base, Chris fights 20 El Gigantes, and there's a half underwater level.

I always assumed the mercenaries level that's a big ruined prison that uses the volcano island skybox/assets was based on cut campaign content. Shame too, it would've been pretty darn cool.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
RE 5 original concepts detailed based on the RE5 Art Book: http://www.relyonhorror.com/in-depth/resident-evil-5-beta-4-5-information-lost-scrapped-concepts/

Bro-venture with Barry Burton! Branching narratives! Some interesting set pieces (Chris gets stuck in a room stocked floor to ceiling with red barrels and zombies...if one barrel blows, they all do, forcing you to use the knife or run) and the return of the merchant!

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 15, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always wanted to play the versions of RE4 that had a section take place in that massive Umbrella blimp airship thing. I remember being pumped as hell when I saw that trailer. It looked weird and atmospheric.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Question about RE4- in the castle, there's a giant pod thing hanging in the tower where Ashley gets carried off by one of the flying bugs. I assumed it was the flying bugs' nest, because they landed on it when they were wounded. Was that ever explained?

...should I spoiler tag things here? It doesn't seem like I should spoiler tag things here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cheston posted:

Question about RE4- in the castle, there's a giant pod thing hanging in the tower where Ashley gets carried off by one of the flying bugs. I assumed it was the flying bugs' nest, because they landed on it when they were wounded. Was that ever explained?

...should I spoiler tag things here? It doesn't seem like I should spoiler tag things here.

Probably not, game's old. Yes, that's their nest. You can blow it up.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
If you do blow it up it drops a shitload of eyes and I think you're guaranteed to get a blue eye (the rarest) so you can finish your lamp treasure.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I had some buddies over earlier today and we tried to play RE6 co-op (Jake/Sherry campaign). This game is a goddamn mess, even in the most basic ways. We gave up during the first crossover with Chris and Piers, which ended with my partner and I running all over the map wondering what we were supposed to do. The objective just said "Help the BSAA" which is pretty vague on its own, combined with a huge area full of nothing and random poo poo exploding everywhere.

That's when I remembered why I stopped playing the campaign originally. A lot of the "action sequences" involve you just running around and waiting for the game to progress on its own, and once you're out of ammo you are completely useless. Whoever thought of giving your melee attack a stamina bar should be sacked.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Excels posted:

I had some buddies over earlier today and we tried to play RE6 co-op (Jake/Sherry campaign). This game is a goddamn mess, even in the most basic ways. We gave up during the first crossover with Chris and Piers, which ended with my partner and I running all over the map wondering what we were supposed to do. The objective just said "Help the BSAA" which is pretty vague on its own, combined with a huge area full of nothing and random poo poo exploding everywhere.

That's when I remembered why I stopped playing the campaign originally. A lot of the "action sequences" involve you just running around and waiting for the game to progress on its own, and once you're out of ammo you are completely useless. Whoever thought of giving your melee attack a stamina bar should be sacked.

Did you have the sound turned off? They explain constantly that you have to destroy AA guns.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

If the combat gauges weren't a thing in RE6 you wouldn't need to use guns at all, really. Which wouldn't necessarily be bad, but I think it's actually for the best that they're there. Handy tips: Don't ever let the gauge fully empty out, a single healing tablet refreshes your gauge, and campaign lets you buy combat gauge increases which are too strong to allow in any of the competitive/score-attack game modes.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Did you have the sound turned off? They explain constantly that you have to destroy AA guns.

I heard them saying that, then a few seconds later the AI Chris/Piers did that for us. Also there were big red targets over the two Gigantes or whatever so I thought we were supposed to be shooting at them, but there is no indication IN RE6 of when you are damaging bosses.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Excels posted:

I heard them saying that, then a few seconds later the AI Chris/Piers did that for us. Also there were big red targets over the two Gigantes or whatever so I thought we were supposed to be shooting at them.

If all three AA guns have been taken out then yeah you're supposed to kill the gigantes (They're actually called something different in this but gently caress if I recall what it is.) You should have plenty of ammo unless you're playing on super-hard difficulty, and you can also kite them into power lines in two corners of the area to force them into a kneeling state that leaves them vulnerable to a big cinematic melee sequence.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Playing RE6 just makes me wish I were playing RE5.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Excels posted:

I heard them saying that, then a few seconds later the AI Chris/Piers did that for us. Also there were big red targets over the two Gigantes or whatever so I thought we were supposed to be shooting at them, but there is no indication IN RE6 of when you are damaging bosses.

I'm pretty sure every boss has a recoil animation when you hit them in their weak point. The giant things will throw an arm down on top of the nearest building when you shoot them in the back. If you get close to this arm you can initiate a qte to do a lot of damage to it.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
So I've been playing RE6, just nearing the end of Leons' campaign. I don't see what the hate for it is yet, it's not as good as 4 and only a little worse than 5. Does it get bad in the other campaigns or am I just not seeing it?

Some stuff I really do not like:

The part in the church. While it was ok to begin with, it quickly turns into a National Treasure dungeon run. You fall down so many miles, and then... you fall in the ocean? The geography of it really annoyed me.

The upgrading is way too spaced out to feel like you're actually getting more powerful.

Helena is stupid. 'DEBORAH NO, I MUST HUG YOU EVEN THOUGH YOU LOOK LIKE A JELLYFISH'. Does she act different in single player, not shooting at her like she has some kind of family connection? In co-op she was running up and smacking the poo poo out of her, which caused a bit of whiplash.

Also after Deborah dies Leon is all 'we're partners now'. No pretty sure she's been your partner for a while.

I really liked the monster in the Chinese Market but it was one hell of a wasted opportunity. It should be really, really fast and resiliant, able to jump at you from anywhere, make you afraid of your surroundings. Then you should get the second key and another pops out then.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Fingerless Gloves posted:

So I've been playing RE6, just nearing the end of Leons' campaign. I don't see what the hate for it is yet, it's not as good as 4 and only a little worse than 5. Does it get bad in the other campaigns or am I just not seeing it?

Some stuff I really do not like:

The part in the church. While it was ok to begin with, it quickly turns into a National Treasure dungeon run. You fall down so many miles, and then... you fall in the ocean? The geography of it really annoyed me.

The upgrading is way too spaced out to feel like you're actually getting more powerful.

Helena is stupid. 'DEBORAH NO, I MUST HUG YOU EVEN THOUGH YOU LOOK LIKE A JELLYFISH'. Does she act different in single player, not shooting at her like she has some kind of family connection? In co-op she was running up and smacking the poo poo out of her, which caused a bit of whiplash.

Also after Deborah dies Leon is all 'we're partners now'. No pretty sure she's been your partner for a while.

I really liked the monster in the Chinese Market but it was one hell of a wasted opportunity. It should be really, really fast and resiliant, able to jump at you from anywhere, make you afraid of your surroundings. Then you should get the second key and another pops out then.

If you didn't mind the swimming sections, the walking sections, or any of the QTEs then you probably will like it. I thought it had too many of those stupid sections and not enough of the core gameplay.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I like the part where you fight a meat dinosaur that can turn back into a normal-shaped human at random, fought from a helicopter, with no indicator that you are doing any damage to it as it soaks up thousands and thousands of bullets until a cutscene happens.

RE6 is a game that really puts the control in the hands of the player :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It does do that, unfortunately it's with really bad boss fights. I'd honestly say just about every final boss is enjoyable enough in their own ways to make up for the earlier boss fights in every scenario.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I'm gonna be streaming the last part of Leon's campaign now if anybody's interested. Come tell me how bad the game really is.

http://hitbox.tv/JeckL

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Orgia Carnaval posted:

It does do that, unfortunately it's with really bad boss fights. I'd honestly say just about every final boss is enjoyable enough in their own ways to make up for the earlier boss fights in every scenario.
If you're playing as Chris, Leon, Jake or Ada...then yeah, I can see your point.

But if you're playing as their partners? It's not enjoyable. (Spoiled in case Fingerless Gloves hasn't done the other campaigns yet) Sherry is reduced to a cheerleader role/box flinger (although she and Jake ultimately finish off Ustanak together...but after the final boss battle), Helena and Agent are reduced to nothing more than piddly sniper cover, and Piers is limited in his actions because of his C-Virus mutation. And all four of them are forced to rely on the AI (or your co-op player, if you're lucky) to get the job done. That is not fun, especially in Piers' case because you have to wait for the final boss to be in a state where you can pull off a hyper-sensitive QTE. A hyper-sensitive QTE that, if you botch it, means you have to wait AGAIN for the AI to whittle down Haos to the same point where the QTE triggers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah, if you're playing the partners you just get to eat poo poo. There is nothing fun about the partners' part in the final bosses and it's kind of shameful that they are. There is no reason you couldn't have gone one on one with the Ustanak as Sherry.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

If you're playing as Chris, Leon, Jake or Ada...then yeah, I can see your point.

But if you're playing as their partners? It's not enjoyable.

Don't forget Ada's imaginary friend who can't do any button prompts or grapples!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Oh yeah, if you're playing the partners you just get to eat poo poo. There is nothing fun about the partners' part in the final bosses and it's kind of shameful that they are. There is no reason you couldn't have gone one on one with the Ustanak as Sherry.

I forgot about Wilsonso's trainer for RE6. I'm gonna go to Jake Chapter 5 and change Jake to Sherry and see what happens during that part now. EDIT: Nevermind I can't because Wilsonso uploaded the necessary files to some site that won't let you download them :(

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 23, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I dunno if it was mentioned but the recent RE4 Steam release got patched to fix the audio desynch in cutscenes along with general bugfixes, and also add in a "modern" setting for the mouse sensitivity which should make aiming a lot easier.

Also:

quote:

Fixed an eggsploit where hens lay eggs at twice the rate when frame rate is set to 60fps.
:haw:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

That's a lot of eggs.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
After going through RE 4 HD trying to conserve as much ammo as possible and sticking to melee attacks, I'd forgotten how satisfying it to roll up with the tommy gun and lay waste to hordes of mooks.

It got me thinking though, did RE 5 & 6 even have much for super weapons? I tried to remember but nothing stood out to me, where as RE 4 has an over abundance of overpowered weapons and it is great.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I can't recall much in the way of RE 5, but I was cool with that because they gave you the ability to purchase infinite ammo with every gun in the game so you could turn any gun into a super gun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I can't recall much in the way of RE 5, but I was cool with that because they gave you the ability to purchase infinite ammo with every gun in the game so you could turn any gun into a super gun.

RE6 had the chaingun, bow and arrow, and the stun rod. The chaingun was monstrous and turned the starting "flee from the 50 dudes who try to kill you" into a hilarious pile of dead bodies and the last stupid gem for "It Belongs in a Museum"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vakal posted:

After going through RE 4 HD trying to conserve as much ammo as possible and sticking to melee attacks, I'd forgotten how satisfying it to roll up with the tommy gun and lay waste to hordes of mooks.

It got me thinking though, did RE 5 & 6 even have much for super weapons? I tried to remember but nothing stood out to me, where as RE 4 has an over abundance of overpowered weapons and it is great.

RE5 unlocked special guns when you fully upgraded certain guns. Like the triple-barreled shotgun. Also the infinite ammo gattling gun/bow.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And there's also the portable satellite laser you can also unlock in 5, which Chris uses as his Level 3 hyper combo in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

And there's also the portable satellite laser you can also unlock in 5, which Chris uses as his Level 3 hyper combo in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

That's not a weapon you can use actually, it's only during a specific boss fight.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Vakal posted:

RE5 had the long-barrel S&W Magnum, which was pretty much a one-shot kill for every enemy in the game. The only thing stronger is, of course, the Rocket Launcher.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Geight posted:

I dunno if it was mentioned but the recent RE4 Steam release got patched to fix the audio desynch in cutscenes along with general bugfixes, and also add in a "modern" setting for the mouse sensitivity which should make aiming a lot easier.

Also:
:haw:

I was peeved that they took out the eggsploit since I liked rolling around with 5 golden eggs. Also glad they fixed the Mercenaries where if you didn't have a high enough score in the Castle and you went to where the archers were a) the cult leader would not spawn and b) upon entering that room the Garrodors would also not spawn. They also fixed Krauser's bow, so now you will actually hit everything instead of 1/4 arrows disappearing into the aether.

I don't think they fixed ammo drops though, for some reason if you have a Rifle (in either Mercenaries or the main games) you will always always ALWAYS get more ammo pickups on average than any other weapon. I ended my first playthrough with over 100 rifle rounds and around 25 magnum rounds. I have NEVER had that much rifle and magnum ammo in the Wii edition, especially with having almost no handgun or shotgun rounds.

I also still haven't been given my pre-order soundtrack or artbook, what the hell Steam :(

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Vakal posted:

If memory serves, there's not really a reason to conserve ammo in RE4, since the game determines how much ammo to give you by watching how much you expend.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Aces High posted:

I also still haven't been given my pre-order soundtrack or artbook, what the hell Steam :(

Check your local files. They should be there.

Kindjal
Dec 10, 2003

Time to let go. Follow me.
I had fun with RE5, but I really wish they had utilized the African setting a little better. Like, instead of that awful El Gigante turret sequence, it would have been cool as gently caress to fight a rampaging, Plaga infested elephant hell bent on trampling everything in sight and body slamming Chris into the dirt with its trunk. Maybe you could even rodeo around on it and knife it in the head or something. Granted, it was a nice touch that some of the dog enemies were modeled after hyenas and African wild dogs, but it could have been so much more.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Kindjal posted:

instead of that awful El Gigante turret sequence, it would have been cool as gently caress to fight a rampaging, Plaga infested elephant hell bent on trampling everything in sight and body slamming Chris into the dirt

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds delight in Chris' suffering :unsmith:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Kindjal posted:

I had fun with RE5, but I really wish they had utilized the African setting a little better. Like, instead of that awful El Gigante turret sequence, it would have been cool as gently caress to fight a rampaging, Plaga infested elephant hell bent on trampling everything in sight and body slamming Chris into the dirt with its trunk. Maybe you could even rodeo around on it and knife it in the head or something. Granted, it was a nice touch that some of the dog enemies were modeled after hyenas and African wild dogs, but it could have been so much more.

Weirdly enough, they managed to fit an infected elephant earlier into the timeline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl1DbmZ0t9M&t=121s

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

I don't think they fixed ammo drops though, for some reason if you have a Rifle (in either Mercenaries or the main games) you will always always ALWAYS get more ammo pickups on average than any other weapon. I ended my first playthrough with over 100 rifle rounds and around 25 magnum rounds. I have NEVER had that much rifle and magnum ammo in the Wii edition, especially with having almost no handgun or shotgun rounds.

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. They're fixing it with patch 1.04. They've been pretty good about patching this game.

Aces High posted:

The artbook is so bad. It's maybe 1/4 interesting concept art, the rest is stupid crap I don't care about.

ConorT fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Excels posted:

I like the part where you fight a meat dinosaur that can turn back into a normal-shaped human at random, fought from a helicopter, with no indicator that you are doing any damage to it as it soaks up thousands and thousands of bullets until a cutscene happens.

RE6 is a game that really puts the control in the hands of the player :v:

On the console versions of the game I used to agree with the complaint about bullet sponge bosses that didn't have notable hit reactions to tell you are doing damage. However on the PC version I found that some weak spots are way easier to see with the higher resolution, and they didn't take nearly as long to kill when using mouse aim to target them. The Dino boss for example I found the weak point on his back near impossible to see on the 360 version, and even when I knew it was there I found it pretty hard to hit so it took a long time to damage him. On the PC version it was no problem at all.