Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rahu X posted:

The only thing I wish is that Chrome would leave fullscreen when I press Esc, but it's not a major issue.

Cmd + shift + f will become you friend. Just give it time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It seems that the 14" Razer Blade has an update announced, to ship in a few weeks: a 3200x1800 IGZO screen, GT 870M, touch screen, 4.47 lbs (up from 4.13 thanks to the touch screen/glass).

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.
I've heard mixed opinions on sagers/clevos, but they're in heavy consideration for my purchase. Anyone got anything to say about the dealer I should buy from or this 13 inch model in particular?

http://www.powernotebooks.com/Sager-NP7338-gaming-laptops-notebooks-sys-6214.html

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

shrughes posted:

It seems that the 14" Razer Blade has an update announced, to ship in a few weeks: a 3200x1800 IGZO screen, GT 870M, touch screen, 4.47 lbs (up from 4.13 thanks to the touch screen/glass).
Yeah, and 8GB + 128GB SSD for only $2200! Totally worth it for the acid-green USB ports, though! :supaburn:

The 870M is pretty beefy--apparently not too much slower than a M290X. I wonder what sort of noise it'll put out when fully loaded, what with an estimated 100W TDP in a 14" package. Still probably not enough to game much above 1080p (sadly not an even multiple of the 3200x1800 screen), but I'm happy to see IGZO screens popping up more and more often.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

tacosupreme posted:

I've heard mixed opinions on sagers/clevos, but they're in heavy consideration for my purchase. Anyone got anything to say about the dealer I should buy from or this 13 inch model in particular?

http://www.powernotebooks.com/Sager-NP7338-gaming-laptops-notebooks-sys-6214.html

I think Xotic is a more popular Sager dealer. Clevo normally makes laptops for others but then also will sell them as Sager/Clevo direct. It used to be REALLY obvious which one it was (people would make equivalency tables showing the corresponding Toshiba) but now I think they change them a bit. I had one and it worked fine for 4 years until I sold it.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

DrDork posted:

Yeah, and 8GB + 128GB SSD for only $2200! Totally worth it for the acid-green USB ports, though! :supaburn:

To be fair, I've been reading some reviews of it, and the keyboard has been described as the best they've ever seen on laptops on one occasion and favorably compared to the Thinkpad Twist's on another (I don't know about that considering the key travel). I've also seen the trackpad described as the best Windows laptop trackpad. (Also, a proprietary trackpad by Razer, with no Linux support.) If you compare this to MacBook Pro pricing, it seems like it's still overpriced, but not absurdly so. A second monitor output would be nice, and an ethernet port would have been good for a gaming laptop to have.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I've no doubt it's pretty decent in a lot of ways (in that a bunch of the "hands on" reviews of the new keyboard put it as mildly better than the old one, I'm really doubtful that it'd beat a ThinkPad--though beating a ThinkPad trackpad is easy as pie). Still, sticking a 100W TDP GPU in a 14" frame sounds like a recipe for hilarity, and not in a way that will help Razer's current reputation of "puts out products which are nice right up until they inevitably break."

A single HDMI out is probably fine for most users--though it would have been nice for it to have been a DisplayPort, instead, which would have been quite a bit more useful and forward-looking. You're right about the ethernet port, though: how do you make a laptop that clearly needs to be plugged in (no, I do not believe "up to 6 hours" of battery life doing anything other than idling on the desktop) and then decide to skip wired ethernet?

DrDork fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 14, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rahu X posted:

My 11" Macbook Air came in today, and so far, I'm actually really liking it.
Have you taken it outside to a coffee shop or library yet? It's so loving portable.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
After spending way to much time on this I have this as my shortlist, which is not very short at all: http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/3ER2WQ2S6K9WI

With the Lenovos especially the Intel based ones the Wifi issues are a concern.
Toshiba id be concerned about build quality and same for Acer, though i have actually seen the E1 and the C55 in person and they seem ok.
Toshiba seems to have a particularly bad rep for support though.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Cheekio posted:

My W540 order has been pushed back by a handful of days due to an out of stock cable. Again. Serves me right for springing for new hardware straight from the manufacturer for the first time in my life.

As a side note, it looks like there are only 3 W540 video reviews on youtube, none of which are professionally done. I know it hasn't been out for a while (and this last batch has been delayed and delayed), but shouldn't there be a ton of reviews available on the new top of the line offering from Lenovo?

Speaking of the W540,I just got one for work and I hate HATE HATE the loving trackpad.

I don't particularly care for the Mac glass trackpad either, and this thing is like a cheap lovely imitation of that.

The off center keyboard can go to hell too, but it's not nearly as bad as the garbage trackpad.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

SamDabbers posted:

I have and recommend a Thinkpad T440s with the 1080p IPS touchscreen. I recently played Civ V at a LAN party all the way through the endgame at full resolution on Low-Medium settings and it was very playable. Intel's latest integrated graphics are surprisingly powerful, and the 14" IPS screen is beautiful. I'm still on the fence about the Civ V touchscreen UI option, but that's a whole other animal.

Any thoughts on the x240? It looks like a smaller version of the T440s that would better fit what I'm looking for.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening
i saw it in person at a microcenter and was impressed

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Samsung ativ book 9 plus base model is $300 off at the Microsoft store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Samsung-ATIV-Book-9-Plus-NP940X3G-K03US-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/productID.283976900

Its probably the best possible windows ultrabook with the only complaint being expensive.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Trawling amazon I found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire...=I39LNU4MQ64BG7

Bit of an odd configuration, Ivy Bridge i3 ULV plus Gforce 820m dedicated, also the only hits for this particular model number would be on italian online retailer sites, though I did ask amazon support if it would be a UK keyboard/OS and they said yes but id be skeptical but i guess its amazon so returns would not be a problem.

Worth a look ?

Risky
May 18, 2003

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Samsung ativ book 9 plus base model is $300 off at the Microsoft store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Samsung-ATIV-Book-9-Plus-NP940X3G-K03US-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/productID.283976900

Its probably the best possible windows ultrabook with the only complaint being expensive.

Can you put Windows 7 on it? That same laptop is on Amazon prime right now for 649 and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Risky posted:

Can you put Windows 7 on it? That same laptop is on Amazon prime right now for 649 and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Probably, but unless 8 doesn't have the legacy support you need why would you want to?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Risky posted:

Are you sure you aren't looking at the ATIV book 9 lite? If so, please link to Amazon page.

Risky
May 18, 2003

AriTheDog posted:

Are you sure you aren't looking at the ATIV book 9 lite? If so, please link to Amazon page.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVFMDUQ/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1NVOASJK71MUN

I thought it was the same. :( Also, does anyone know if you can upgrade the SSD in these?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Risky posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVFMDUQ/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1NVOASJK71MUN

I thought it was the same. :( Also, does anyone know if you can upgrade the SSD in these?

Yeah, this is a completely different machine lacking pretty much all of the advantages of the 9 plus. Sorry! :(

EZgrease
Oct 21, 2004

I need something to stick on the part of the laptop where you rest your palms, below the keyboard. I don't want my sweaty palms rubbing away the paint like my last laptop. Do they make something like?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EZgrease posted:

I need something to stick on the part of the laptop where you rest your palms, below the keyboard. I don't want my sweaty palms rubbing away the paint like my last laptop. Do they make something like?

I ordered a replacement trackpad skin from these guys and they also do larger versions for the palmrest

http://www.skinstyler.com/pc/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rahu X posted:

My 11" Macbook Air came in today, and so far, I'm actually really liking it. I'm still learning all the bits of OS X, but I've already gotten used to the basics. I've even changed some of my opinions on some features, like fullscreen applications. Used to think it would be useless, but on this screen, and with the way it works, it's perfect. I use Chrome fullscreen, and once I decide to do some work, I just do a nice four finger swipe and get at it. I want to get back to Chrome, I swipe back. It's just so slick. The only thing I wish is that Chrome would leave fullscreen when I press Esc, but it's not a major issue.

Besides that, I just love the size of the machine, and the feel of the aluminum under my palms as I type. The trackpad is great, but I feel like I'll need to really adjust the sensitivity because dragging objects down is a bit weird. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

The concept of multiple desktops come from Linux so I don't know why Microsoft hasn't ripped it off, it's such a better way to work on a smaller screen. Touchpad gestures on Mac trackpads are also lightyears ahead of Windows laptops. I run a VM of Windows 7 on my Mac, I just swipe over, do my Windows stuff and swipe back.

In reference to your mouse speed issue, Windows and Mac track the mouse pointer in radically different ways. It's an interesting topic to read about. Basically Windows is better at one to one mouse/pointer movement, but Mac cheats a little with acceleration. When you go back and forth, it's really strange to see and feel.

I set a keyboard shortcut key to fullscreen applications by hitting CMD+Escape. It's easy to set up if you want me to show you.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The concept of multiple desktops come from Linux so I don't know why Microsoft hasn't ripped it off, it's such a better way to work on a smaller screen. Touchpad gestures on Mac trackpads are also lightyears ahead of Windows laptops. I run a VM of Windows 7 on my Mac, I just swipe over, do my Windows stuff and swipe back.

There was actually some posts from a Microsoft UX engineer a few weeks ago on Reddit that said Microsoft has tried for years to incorporate multiple desktops in Windows, but focus tests with their core users (corporate users and the like) always ended up getting so confused they took the feature out.

He said that with the segmentation of power users into desktop mode and casual users into Metro now in future versions, it may finally be able to be incorporated, but I doubt it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Octopode posted:

There was actually some posts from a Microsoft UX engineer a few weeks ago on Reddit that said Microsoft has tried for years to incorporate multiple desktops in Windows, but focus tests with their core users (corporate users and the like) always ended up getting so confused they took the feature out.

He said that with the segmentation of power users into desktop mode and casual users into Metro now in future versions, it may finally be able to be incorporated, but I doubt it.

Interesting. I guess once you get to the size of Window's install base pissing off 1% of customers is really pissing off about 500 million people so you have to make each change very gingerly. It's a little impressive when you consider that in spite of that, they went ahead with Metro.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

metro needed to be done and the interface for its intended purpose is fantastic, the best tablet os I've used. They made several boneheaded moves in its interaction with classic desktop mode though, but they're growing pains they needed to get out of the way, and couldn't really wait any longer.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Risky posted:

The Lite is pretty terrible, Samsung don't want you to know what APU is actually in the system and seemingly try and hide it,its a A6 1450 and you can find that in much cheaper notebooks.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Tom Guycot posted:

metro needed to be done and the interface for its intended purpose is fantastic, the best tablet os I've used. They made several boneheaded moves in its interaction with classic desktop mode though, but they're growing pains they needed to get out of the way, and couldn't really wait any longer.

That its a tablet OS is why it should have been kept so far away from desktop usage.

and its a poo poo tablet interface

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

go3 posted:

That its a tablet OS is why it should have been kept so far away from desktop usage.

and its a poo poo tablet interface

Agreed--I was totally lost with Metro on a Surface, but have no problem with an iPad. Figuring out how to close apps with no help at all is really dumb.

edit: Would also love to understand why it 'needed to be done'. Judging by how terrible Win 8 has been doing I seriously doubt anyone at MS can defend it anymore.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Bob Morales posted:

Have you taken it outside to a coffee shop or library yet? It's so loving portable.

No joke, I'm actually thinking about taking it to Starbucks tomorrow morning to work on some programming and enjoy some coffee. Can't help but feel that I'm going to be among the stereotypical Mac using people at most Starbucks shops that are apparently working on "writing novels" or whatever.

Other than that, I'm definitely going to be taking it with me to college once my Spring Break is over. Going to use it for general note taking as well as doing assignments.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

In reference to your mouse speed issue, Windows and Mac track the mouse pointer in radically different ways. It's an interesting topic to read about. Basically Windows is better at one to one mouse/pointer movement, but Mac cheats a little with acceleration. When you go back and forth, it's really strange to see and feel.

I set a keyboard shortcut key to fullscreen applications by hitting CMD+Escape. It's easy to set up if you want me to show you.

Yeah. I know it did. I never really used virtual desktops on Linux though, mostly because I never needed them, and with the way most DEs organized and laid them out, it sort of turned into a confusing mess at times. Funnily enough, I think the only DE that has gotten virtual desktops right is GNOME 3, and it takes the OS X approach to them (creates them as you want/need them). It's just a shame that GNOME 3 generally has other changes that most don't seem agree with.

As for the trackpad, I'm sure I'll get used to it, though I might look into seeing if there's a way to disable acceleration. Given the guts of OS X being a bit more accessible than Windows, I imagine there's a way.

And thanks for the offer for the shortcut, but I just realized there's already one pre-defined on OS X (Ctrl+Cmd+F).

On a side note, while I totally expected this to happen, I still find it really amusing that I'm barely on my desktop anymore. I'm only really using it for playing games and the occasional intensive task. Other than that, I'm just laying in bed with this little machine and browsing the web/writing programs/watching videos until the battery is nearly dead.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The other great thing about Mac is that the version of Office for it is actually much nicer than the Windows version. I just threw Windows in a VM and don't even dedicate a machine to it anymore. Lots of games are moving to Linux for SteamOS support too.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Scott808 posted:

Speaking of the W540,I just got one for work and I hate HATE HATE the loving trackpad.

I don't particularly care for the Mac glass trackpad either, and this thing is like a cheap lovely imitation of that.

The off center keyboard can go to hell too, but it's not nearly as bad as the garbage trackpad.

I've never met a trackpad I liked, so I guess I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up. Anyway, here's the first in depth review of the W540 I've found:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-W540-Workstation.112318.0.html

It's not exactly glowing (their review model had sticky keys on the left side?), but it does offer a lot of good information and a ton of pictures.

And that's really just an excuse to say that despite the estimated ship date being pushed back again, while I was reading the above review I got a shipping confirmation! Five days ahead of schedule, expected to arrive before the end of the month. Apparently obsessively checking/posting on forums about the laptop actually does make it ship faster.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mod sassinator posted:

The other great thing about Mac is that the version of Office for it is actually much nicer than the Windows version.

That is really not the prevailing opinion

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cheekio posted:

I've never met a trackpad I liked, so I guess I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up. Anyway, here's the first in depth review of the W540 I've found:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-W540-Workstation.112318.0.html

It's not exactly glowing (their review model had sticky keys on the left side?), but it does offer a lot of good information and a ton of pictures.

And that's really just an excuse to say that despite the estimated ship date being pushed back again, while I was reading the above review I got a shipping confirmation! Five days ahead of schedule, expected to arrive before the end of the month. Apparently obsessively checking/posting on forums about the laptop actually does make it ship faster.

Here's another review I just came across: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXa0XzNvuZU

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Does anyone know if Apple intentionally neuters the WiFi strength on their laptops? I know they do this on some of their IPads unless you jailbreak them.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

system protocol posted:

Does anyone know if Apple intentionally neuters the WiFi strength on their laptops? I know they do this on some of their IPads unless you jailbreak them.

From what I can tell, my Macbook Air gets just as good of wifi reception as my desktop. Full bars in my bedroom with my wireless router being a good bit down the hall in my living room. Both are leagues better than my Nexus 4 or Nexus 7, which only gets 1-3 bars on average.

I would think the wifi reception on mobile devices is less due to intentional neutering, and more using crappy wifi radios to reduce costs.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Rahu X posted:

I would think the wifi reception on mobile devices is less due to intentional neutering, and more using crappy wifi radios to reduce costs.
Also reducing max Tx power to save battery life.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

system protocol posted:

Apple Macbooks are notorious for positioning the WiFi antenna on the bottom of the chassis, giving terrible performance.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

mobby_6kl posted:

Here's another review I just came across: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXa0XzNvuZU

You know who else doesn't like the new trackpad :godwin:

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
What's the minimum I should get hardware wise on an x240 for being able to run office and look at web videos. HD would be nice but its not mandatory. I'll be using wireless internet alot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Any x240 can do that.