Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I gotta say, I'm pretty satisfied with how they handled my area of expertise. That was a really good introduction to evolution, condensed into 45 minutes.

As soon as I realized it was about genetics, it made me remember that becoming a geneticist wasn't always the process of being a poor, jaded graduate student that hated life.

That's what's so awesome. The first cosmos made me want to learn about science. This one lets me know I made the right decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That was a good hour of television.

Just an unapologetic presentation of scientific consensus of evolution, with emphasis on what science hasn't figured out and how we're not the perfect "end" to that process.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If human beings ever went to Titan, we wouldn't go to visit, but to invade.

It would be an attack on it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SaxMaverick posted:

As soon as I realized it was about genetics, it made me remember that becoming a geneticist wasn't always the process of being a poor, jaded graduate student that hated life.

That's what's so awesome. The first cosmos made me want to learn about science. This one lets me know I made the right decision.

end the thread

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SaxMaverick posted:

Yup, that's it right there. The reason Cosmos ever existed in the first place.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SaxMaverick posted:

I'll someday be a poor jaded grad student that hates life, but at least this reminds me that it'll be worth it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Command Ant posted:

But who would be the prey and the hunters?

OhSnapGangsta
Jun 24, 2006

All the arms we need are for hugging

SaxMaverick posted:

God being a grad student sucks so much.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

That was a fun watch. Tardigrades and the eye sequence were particularly fascinating. I sure wonder what that Oklahoma TV station that cut the bit about evolution from the first episode did this time around.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

double negative posted:

That was a fun watch. Tardigrades and the eye sequence were particularly fascinating. I sure wonder what that Oklahoma TV station that cut the bit about evolution from the first episode did this time around.

"Muslims attacked our broadcasting tower!"

Command Ant posted:

Coming tomorrow: the announcement that the oil companies are forming their own space program.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

OhSnapGangsta posted:

Try doing it and working full time :smithicide:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wish they'd gone more into what commonalities all Earth life share at the DNA level. That part about trees and people having the same mechanism for metabolizing sugar was neat; they could have sprinkled more of those facts into that whole DNA sequence.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

This is the best show on TV.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I liked this episode better than the first one -- it was a lot more focused. Only real objection is that it's not longer, but on topics like this show covers you can spend your whole life studying the science behind every single sentence. It's not like you can fit fractal complexity into a 45 minute show. It'd just be nice if they could!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

OhSnapGangsta posted:

For me it was one of the best times of my life. Stressful, but you get to do whatever you're interested in for 5-7 years and you're surrounded by like-minded young people who are interested in the same sorts of things you are. As long as you have a good advisor and don't care about money, grad school is awesome. If you do care about money, what the gently caress are you doing going to grad school?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Darth Windu posted:

Mmhmm. How many has he published again?

Published research articles? Thirteen.

If you want to pick apart all of his accomplishments he has compiled them here for you.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
That was a really loving good episode of TV. I thought they hit almost all the right notes at the right times, and it didn't fall flat at any point the way the first episode did. I was a little concerned that they were going to do The Evolution Episode so early but it went really well. Starting with the artificial selection of dogs and then going straight into an easy, obvious mutation that most people can understand (fur color of a predator making it easier for them to catch prey) was a good introduction.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Forgot to mention this last week, but I really like how the title card starts as CS and then expands into COSMOS. Nice little tribute to Carl Sagan, right there in the title.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I knew episode 1 was going to do an overall summary of all the subjects that were going to be covered. Now that episode 2 has gotten into the details, the quality of this new Cosmos series really shines through.

Overall it was a great episode; the eye evolution segment was awesome.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Meanwhile, in Oklahoma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62JQ3yBXds

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well, second episode in and I'm convinced. The moment this show is released as a complete set on DVD or Blu Ray or whatever, I'll be in line throwing my money at the person behind the cash register.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SaxMaverick posted:

Yeah, watching this show is one of the few times that I've regretted leaving science.

Edit: Then I go to bed on a pile of money next to my beautiful wife.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

We need to send probes to Titan at once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrnuGAQroXQ

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I felt like I needed a postcoital cigarette after tonight's episode. Tonight it went from being a "decent science documentary series" to being COSMOS.

And by god, if they release a blu-ray set of both series I will be all over that poo poo like a meat dress on Lady Gaga.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Hazo posted:

I wish they'd talk more about the concept of common ancestry instead of that cheesy plant->fish->monkey->human thing they did at the end. That's still one of the big persistent misconceptions about evolutionary theory and is why you get the "if we came from monkeys why are there still monkeys" idiots.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah that was the one thing I didn't like. That imagery is so pervasive in the minds of the public, and should really be avoided altogether. But then I guess they wanted to put in the throwback to Sagan's stuff.
Obviously not entirely direct but I thought when they were doing Brown Bear->Polar Bear mutation and how both species still exist but separated, it was sort of implying that though we share a common ancestor with apes, they didn't suddenly just disappear when we entered the scene.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
This show is beautifully magical. It never fails to make me tear up at some point.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Great episode. So much better than last week. I'm a fan if they keep this up.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
This show is fantastic and easily the one I look forward to the most. NDT is a superb host!

I posted on facebook about it and my 16 year old niece who has trouble in school and posts in purposely misspelled gibberish was the first person to agree and say she loved it as well. :3: So glad that stuff like this is reaching her demographic.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Regy Rusty posted:

I'll someday be a poor jaded grad student that hates life, but at least this reminds me that it'll be worth it.
Right now I'm a poor jaded undergrad student who is right now in a Paleontology lab on Spring Break looking at trilobite specimens from 3 different sites in Utah and trying to construct range charts for a poster that is due in two weeks and this episode really did make it feel worth it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AstroZamboni posted:

I felt like I needed a postcoital cigarette after tonight's episode. Tonight it went from being a "decent science documentary series" to being COSMOS.

And by god, if they release a blu-ray set of both series I will be all over that poo poo like a meat dress on Lady Gaga.

Yeah it was a fantastic episode and waiting a bit to watch it without commercials vastly improved the experience.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have to say Neil Tyson's acting is actually pretty drat good here. It's subtle but these looks of wonder he gets, or in Titan when he goes under the sea and has an aura of concern and uncertainty about this dangerous environment, or in the hall of extinction where he seems overwhelmed by its enormity for a moment, is really good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

greatn posted:

I have to say Neil Tyson's acting is actually pretty drat good here. It's subtle but these looks of wonder he gets, or in Titan when he goes under the sea and has an aura of concern and uncertainty about this dangerous environment, or in the hall of extinction where he seems overwhelmed by its enormity for a moment, is really good.

I do think he could've added to the "Hall of Extinction" segment by doing more than hinting passively that the empty hall was reserved for us, especially after offering the viewpoint that we consider ourselves special earlier in the program.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do think he could've added to the "Hall of Extinction" segment by doing more than hinting passively that the empty hall was reserved for us, especially after offering the viewpoint that we consider ourselves special earlier in the program.

I liked NDT pointing at the unlabeled hall of extinction and going "Uh yeah about that, we'll fuckin get to that don't you worry." His version of the "Who Speaks for Earth?" episode ought to be one to watch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Did this episode spark any controversy in the US yet? Given that it was all about evolution.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did this episode spark any controversy in the US yet? Given that it was all about evolution.

I'm sure some poo poo will come out of the south today, considering it's been said in this thread that some station in Oklahoma cut stuff out of the first episode.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Maduo posted:

I liked NDT pointing at the unlabeled hall of extinction and going "Uh yeah about that, we'll fuckin get to that don't you worry." His version of the "Who Speaks for Earth?" episode ought to be one to watch.

Whenever I want to remind myself how resilient and stubborn the planet is when it comes to life, I punch this up on Google Earth:

I can't imagine I'd want to spend much time on "Namu" even today, but that's plant life existing next to the epicenter of a 15 megaton groundburst, and visible coral reefs (though sparse) under the water.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I thought Polar Bear fur wasn't white, but 'clear' (prob not correct term)? He kept saying white. Or am I recalling another science show incorrectly?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I thought Polar Bear fur wasn't white, but 'clear' (prob not correct term)? He kept saying white. Or am I recalling another science show incorrectly?

I'm pretty sure polar bear fur is transparent; but it would have taken more time to explain diffraction of light etc. than to just call it white.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Yes, the fur is technically transparent and was thought at one time to work as "optical fibers" that allowed the sun to warm the dark skin underneath, but has since been disproven. It's still transparent, though, but appears as white. But this fact is irrelevant for the point that the show was trying to make, which was the white fur allowed them to be better hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The synopsis that I posted indicated that this is the first visit to the hall of extinction, which implies we'll be back in a future episode.

• Locked thread