Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Bitter Mushroom posted:

That's a suggestion by someone who just can't switch their brain off. Pretty sure ye olde sailors were mesmerized mainly by mermaids, but who knows.

Sirens were the creatures famous for mesmerizing sailors and they have always been described as fully human or human/bird, so the persons suggestion, while admirable in a way, makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Cephalocidal posted:

Still some beta niggles (tapping the screen during loading brings up the keyboard and field modification modal, text descriptions running off the side, etc.) but it definitely feels like it belongs on a tablet. That said, two or maybe three things immediately jumped out at me. First, the tutorial text bubbles were massive compared to the tiny "forward" arrow I had to tag to proceed. Being able to tap the entire bubble would be nice, and the arrows indicating on-screen actions (backing out after purchasing the first farm for instance) could be better contrasted with the rest of the screen to jump out at players. Second/third, the navigation wheel was too large for me to comfortably use while holding the tablet - even with my bigass hands I couldn't tap "left" with my thumb without stretching weirdly. Scaling based on device might be called for, or maybe pushing the wheel further into the corner. This was all on a Sony Xperia Tablet Z. Past that, again - it really did feel like it belonged on a tablet (or enormous phone) so I think you'll probably have a compelling game once you've dialed it in a little.

Cool, solid feedback. I added a slightly larger compass variation for phones, so I can certainly add a smaller variation for tablets. I could even just provide a slider, I guess, and let you pick/place the compass wherever...

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ahh... with adventure mode cleaned up, the last great piece of UI is done! Only uncountable minor pieces left!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Hempuli posted:

Yeah, the "tutorial" was added very quickly because at that point in time I just really wanted to get the game out; I think I'll try adding some more info screens for more specific events. The game area is kinda small so there's only one shopkeeper and he marks roughly the 50% descension spot.

There's actually an item that lets you jump on enemies; I feared the ability might be a bit overpowered, I should probably try giving it to the player from the beginning. The item throwing thing is a great point; I wanted the player to be able to manipulate the items more freely than just dropping & using, but on the other hand there's really no use in being able to throw, say, the blue chest around. I guess having thrown items knock enemies back without damaging might be worth a try!

When you say tighter controls, where do you feel they could be improved? Are they too slippery? Should the player stop in midair if arrow buttons are not pressed? I'm not happy with how imprecise the throwing aspect is so I'm going to tweak that in any case.

I made the musics by myself and this is actually my first time composing! :shobon: Hopefully the two tracks currently in the game are enjoyable enough. Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a way to open up item descriptions? I'm mostly buying based on guesswork, the first couple of times I played. Mostly, I don't like how the pickaxe controls? It's your main defense against enemies, and the swing on it seems a little weird. I also get a little confused about which button activates my item versus which shifts my held item. Maybe layer them on different keyboard layers? Like, one button on W, one on S, one on X? That's probably breaking some sort of video game Geneva Convention, though. I understand you have to assume the player doesn't have any peripherals, but I kind of wish I could play this on a wired 360 controller.

I'm not a dev, though. :shobon: So it's easy for me to mess around and talk about what I would like. The post-mortem screen is pretty good, though. The art and music overall are good, too! No problem.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cephalocidal posted:

Scaling based on device might be called for, or maybe pushing the wheel further into the corner.

FYI, for the next build I've added a "small" compass size to better accommodate big tablets:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Unormal posted:

I send you a private link to the dropbox that has a current APK via e-mail, if you promise to give honest feedback! ;)

I'd love to get in on this. I'm already in the beta but it would be so much easier to play on my phone and not my screen

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Unormal, I read the thread way more than I post but every time I've seen a screenshot of Sproggiwood it looks simply adorable and like a blast to play. I'm excited to try it out during open beta!

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Unormal posted:

FYI, for the next build I've added a "small" compass size to better accommodate big tablets:

I can already tell that'll be way more comfortable. Unfortunately :darksouls: so I won't really be in a position to verify that for a while.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cephalocidal posted:

I can already tell that'll be way more comfortable. Unfortunately :darksouls: so I won't really be in a position to verify that for a while.

Beta updated for the beta folks, including this compass.

*Bloated Grotto Update
-Replaced Huge black slimes with Big black slimes
-Tiny black slimes now spawn black slime that turns into big slimes if left alone for 5 turns
-Replaced purple spiders with purple spider nests
*Thief Update
-Changed Invisibity to grant a single free "surprise" action rather than +1 damage (this is OP and is nerfed in the next build ;))
-Replaced Thief ability Scout with Fire Trap
-Replaced Theif ability Shinobi with Ice Trap
*Added a small compass size
*Added new swamp underground music
*Added new hills music
*Added basic frog effect
*Reduced number of spider spawners to 4 in ickyolo
*Updated adventure mode UI
*Added fireflare armor unlock to goaturku easy
*Added a new consumable tutorial
*Added support for collidable animations
*Removed building build time
*Changed chat to advance only when clicking the advance arrow
*Changed purple spider size
*Fixed several tutorial buggs
*Fixed double the proper amount of jewels being given out for first-time dungeon wins
*Fixed try again failing to rebuild the level
*Fixed an issue with no UI in adventure mode
*Fixed shove and cleave advancement being improperly swapped
*Fixed building details improperly returning to the town instead of shop
*Fixed issue with skill upgrade costs not matching displayed costs
*Fixed buying upgrades not upgrading buildings
*Fixed an issue with health display when changing compass size
*Fixed issues with controls being improperly shown on scene init
*Fixed sprite alignment issues with archer class abilities
*Fixed bug when drag-looking during the first step of the tutorial
*Fixed issue with dungeon achivement awards
*Fixed frogs not attacking
*Fixed slight alignment issues in curtain animation

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
As Im sure many of you are aware, the 7 Day Roguelike Challenge is just wrapping up this weekend. My previous three games from years gone by have been exceptionally well received, and I think this year is going to be another good one.

I present to you - Hellspace - Download here.

You've been called in to manage something of a situation at the Lazarus corporation's research and development space station. At the space dock they pretty much have poo poo under control. (Note the curved section! That was my new tech focus for this challenge, but it unfortunately didn't get into map generation a lot)

So you charge in head first and start stomping heads with your bros...

Investigating the dark sciences...

And possibly finding yourself deeper in the meat grinder than you would've liked...

Let me know what you think fair goons.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Pray to spaghetti code enmeshed with giant spider webs and enrobed in mysterious secret sauces:

http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/

quote:

I've been approached by someone in e-mail about fixing the bugs in Incursion, and I've put a lot of thought into things recently. I have been working on a tabletop RPG of my own recently, that has nothing to do with Incursion. I'm realizing at this point that I've left it for a negligently long time, so I'm going to open-source the last stable version. (The actual current version, with 1.5+ years extra development, is still in its infancy and not a functional game. Because it has a lot of new RPG-design ideas I'm using elsewhere, I'm keeping it for now. I may try to sort out the source-code portion and give it to the community if people want; honestly I don't think it is very useful.)

This is not an effort to undercut the "Veins of the Earth" clone-project being discussed here -- it looks really interesting, and under the hood the source is probably more stable than Incursion. So, to Zireael and his or her fellow contributers, you have my blessing to take whatever you want from Incursion's design, aesthetic and/or code in your own project. Some people just want to try to do a truly stable (original) Incursion, so that is why I'm releasing it -- I discussed this in e-mail before coming back to the group and seeing your clone-project, and I apologize for the timing.

I will be releasing the source code under the Creative Commons Attribution license, with a polite and non-legally-binding request not to use copyleft or anti-commercial licences for derivative works composed primarily of Incursion unless licensing conflicts make your project unworkable otherwise.

I hope to get the source code up this weekend. That may not happen, depending on how busy I get. I have to get it to compile (into 0.6.9I) again on my own computer first, to make sure I'm even releasing the right version.

There are complications, however. The Incursion compile process is very complicated with a lot of moving parts. There's a custom scripting language involved using an old compiler-generator tool which I hacked to change it's output slightly. There's also a third-party graphics library, and a plugin for a specific version of Visual Studio, and other stuff. It's really tangled because I never expected anyone but me to work with it. I don't have the tools to compile it on my current computer. I may have to get a different computer out of cold storage to get you all the parts you'll need to make it work, and there will be some extensive instructions in terms of settings and such just to get it to compile. You will need to use Visual Studio 2008 if you want to work with this sources as they are -- it may get more platform-independent in the hands of later developers.

Fair warning: Released Incursion's sources are very, very tangled. There's a reason I eventually gave up and moved to a partial rewrite. I'm not sure what others will be able to do that I wasn't about crash-bugs, but some other things can probably be fixed.

I will not be renewing the web hosting for Incursion when it comes up, but I am happy to transfer the website and domain name to anyone interested in maintaining it in the next few months. I will be deleting the private "Incursion-L" mailing list in the next few months as well.

I want to thank everyone who took an interest in Incursion over the years, and apologize for never finishing the revised version. Up until a few weeks ago, I really thought I was always going to get back to it... someday. Now, I have one -- possibly more -- programmers interested in fixing the bugs, I realize I'm done with it and it would be selfish to keep it to myself any longer. So I'm doing this. I hope this works out well for the tiny community that's stayed interested so long.

Getting the source releasable is actually fairly complicated, because there's so many strange hacks. I may get it out this weekend, two weeks from now or four weeks from now, but it is at least coming soon.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Pray to spaghetti code enmeshed with giant spider webs and enrobed in mysterious secret sauces:

Hopefully someone will revive it. Incursion is one of my favorite roguelikes.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

This is wonderful news! I still come back to Incursion every six months or so because I love it so much, then it crashes and I put it back on the shelf for a while.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That's quite surprising. Let's hope he follows through.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Numeron posted:

As Im sure many of you are aware, the 7 Day Roguelike Challenge is just wrapping up this weekend. My previous three games from years gone by have been exceptionally well received, and I think this year is going to be another good one.

You've been called in to manage something of a situation at the Lazarus corporation's research and development space station. At the space dock they pretty much have poo poo under control. (Note the curved section! That was my new tech focus for this challenge, but it unfortunately didn't get into map generation a lot)

So you charge in head first and start stomping heads with your bros...

Investigating the dark sciences...

And possibly finding yourself deeper in the meat grinder than you would've liked...

Let me know what you think fair goons.

Well it certainly looks fantastic! I'll have to try this out once I get home.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

There are complications, however. The Incursion compile process is very complicated with a lot of moving parts. There's a custom scripting language involved using an old compiler-generator tool which I hacked to change it's output slightly. There's also a third-party graphics library, and a plugin for a specific version of Visual Studio, and other stuff. It's really tangled because I never expected anyone but me to work with it. I don't have the tools to compile it on my current computer. I may have to get a different computer out of cold storage to get you all the parts you'll need to make it work, and there will be some extensive instructions in terms of settings and such just to get it to compile. You will need to use Visual Studio 2008 if you want to work with this sources as they are -- it may get more platform-independent in the hands of later developers.

So, it's pretty much a given that the clone version will be done first.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

That's quite surprising. Let's hope he follows through.

Seriously, pretty much every update til now included a rant against opening the source but it looks like it's the standard embarrassment over the mess he's made reasoning.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Numeron posted:

Digging the squidi tilesets. I'll have to check this out.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Slight crosspost from the following game dev thread but I did a rogue like-like for 7dr if anyone's interested. Fairly incomplete and short so it shouldn't take too long to complete.

Features:

Randomly generated terrain for youto get regularly stuck in!
Randomised Items with effects n poo poo
Injuries that affect your character
Shooting stuff

I was originally intending on working on it some more after the 7drl but now I'm at the end of its dev time I doubt it :v:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_Bqtm8c3z8dGVoaC0xVGdJVVE/edit?usp=sharing

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 17, 2014

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Incursion source files are already starting to get cobbled together and come out---only a matter of time and some beating at things with a wrench until it gets situated on Github with detailed instructions and whatnot unless something goes especially wrong:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/incursion/VqMTcEMYC2Y

It would be quite something if this can indeed liven up again---there used to be quite a Megathread or so for Incusion here on SA, long since archived, that were loaded with good ideas and stories from the heyday of it all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

His setup for building this thing sounds like a hilarious disaster.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
1/3 of it is visual C++ 6, 1/3 of it is in turbo pascal, 1/3 is javascript that runs in a browser, and the build system is cobbled together with excel VBA macros. Good luck on those prerequisites.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Jeffrey posted:

1/3 of it is visual C++ 6, 1/3 of it is in turbo pascal, 1/3 is javascript that runs in a browser, and the build system is cobbled together with excel VBA macros. Good luck on those prerequisites.

Hahahahhahahhaha who even knows whatever the gently caress else this guy was using. Wow.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

what the hell? isn't incursion a console game? where the gently caress does javascript come into play?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I don't think I want to make jokes about Dwarf Fortress's coding anymore. :psydwarf:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I was joking sorry if that was unclear. I wasn't even sure if Turbo Pascal was a real thing, guess I hit a little close to home. Excel VBA macros was supposed to be a giveaway...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if the coding for one of these games was like that, as some of them have enough spaghetti code to open an Italian restaurant.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
oh, big egg on my face. ;[

my own game, that I've been working on for a couple years now, is written in javascript (most of the frontend) and python (server, which has some extensions written in C++) but has some modeling in excel and matlab, so there's 5 different languages in the repository. so, your joke it didn't sound so unbelievable to me!

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

German Joey posted:

oh, big egg on my face. ;[

my own game, that I've been working on for a couple years now, is written in javascript (most of the frontend) and python (server, which has some extensions written in C++) but has some modeling in excel and matlab, so there's 5 different languages in the repository. so, your joke it didn't sound so unbelievable to me!

Is the name of your game Ultima Ratio Regum

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I've never even heard of this Accent thing before, but Allegro at least isn't too deep off in the weeds and has far newer versions and a community and whatnot so at least there's probably a knowledge bank out there to untangle things on that front.

Remember folks: This is just the "classic" Incursion stuff so far---we've not seen but the outlines from before on the kinds of eldritch stuff(Created a new programming language just for the game, for instance) he's cobbled together for the pre-Alpha "new" Incursion. If he ends up getting all of that out there, "questionable usefulness" as he ponders aloud aside, the sum of the lot of it from an aerial view should be quite a sight.

Hell, part of me kind of hopes Toady stumbles across this happening and wonders what would flash though his mind should he dig deeply for a bit? Or perhaps Whales or the DDA folks just kind of backing away slowly while breaking out in a cold sweat.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm curious, why do people often use multiple languages for a single game?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's not uncommon to write the engine in your favorite low level systems language and content in a scripting language.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Tollymain posted:

I'm curious, why do people often use multiple languages for a single game?
I can't speak for incursion. But crawl uses several languages. The core game is in C++. There's a lot of Lua (easy scripting language) for stuff to do with level generation, and various other bits. You can edit the Lua scripts without needing to recompile the game, and the language is also available for players who want to do advanced configuration stuff (such as if you want to modify the game interface). There's also javascript and python, used for webtiles stuff (play the game in a webbrowser) - this isn't used if you're using the offline version, obviously. And there's the makefile, which is in the makefile language.

It basically comes down to different languages being useful for different things. A big project like DCSS can often look like this. The game is really in C++, but there are a bunch of specific areas where something else will work better.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That one guy now has the Github page for the fate of Incursion mostly situated, so now we see what gets situated---though apparently there's some trouble bits where doing some stuff in character creation can cause woes. Windows only building at this junction:

https://github.com/rmtew/incursion-roguelike

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Congrats on the Dungeonmans greenlight madjack!

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=238293262

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I finally get Tome. Started playing a long time ago and just didn't get it, I'd wander around killing very easy enemies then once in a blue moon just get decimated in one shot by a random lightning monster then I finally started understanding infusions and survivng long enough to start exploring and unlocking things. It's not my favorite roguelike by any means, but it kept me up until 6AM so it's not bad.

Gonna try out Archmage :D

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

:pwn:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Is there concept art of someone in a medieval knight suit blasting all those man-eating creatures with a six-barreled rocket launcher

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Hahaha, wtf is this? If it's CoQ fanart then I really need to get around to trying out that roguelike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Thank you kindly! Hearing the news made GDC even better. I may have done a little dance.