Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I want Saban to put in Bioman footage just to see Burk's reaction :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There's already Bioman footage in the MMPR pilot. Not sure if its in the first aired episode too. I forget where but there is/was a website that went through season one and showed where each and every frame of footage came from.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I meant more contemporary Bioman footage, given the other pre Zyu teams, but that works too.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Solaris Knight posted:

I want Saban to put in Bioman footage just to see Burk's reaction :allears:

Spoilers: He's not happy
Double Spoilers: He's always not happy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Liar Lyre posted:

Spoilers: He's not happy
Double Spoilers: He's always not happy

Triple Spoilers: Unless he's actually watching Bioman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fun fact about the Podcast's review of the third episode of Master Vile!

So, we went along the episode, I didn't have to speak up too much, we got near the end, I disappear for like 20 minutes, come back and Raf and Wade are STILL DICKING AROUND and I don't even know how or where and then we get to the last Metallic Armor scene so I go all out and literally, you can ask Wade, STRAIN MY VOICE WITH FURY AND BILE. Couldn't talk right for the rest of the night.

Aaaaaand then Raf lost his copy due to a bunch of things beyond his ability to control.

We're rerecording tonight.

I'm so excited.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The first time the MMPR powers are used......and they get stomped in seconds. You'd think they'd have them in the first ep for max nonstalgia and so that doesn't happe n. He'll they film all this new footage....but its only for the mrgaforce suits instead of filming new gokaiger scenes or new gokai change scenes so they don't have to randomly use sentai powers non nerds know about.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They DID film original Gokaiger suit battles a couple episodes ago, that's the thing. Also, I don't think the MMRPR/Zyurangers actually do anything victorious until the last episode or so.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah I know that's why it suprises me they haven't filmed new scenes to abuse nostalgia more. Like for an anniversary season they're kinda playing it way too straight like it's a regular season.

RBX fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 16, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tae posted:

They DID film original Gokaiger suit battles a couple episodes ago, that's the thing. Also, I don't think the MMRPR/Zyurangers actually do anything victorious until the last episode or so.

Yeah, Goushi's the only one who shows up, and it's mainly to give a pep talk in the rain to... Don, maybe? He's all "us previous teams are doing stuff even without our powers, so you man the gently caress up and get with it, kid".

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RBX posted:

The first time the MMPR powers are used......and they get stomped in seconds. You'd think they'd have them in the first ep for max nonstalgia and so that doesn't happe n. He'll they film all this new footage....but its only for the mrgaforce suits instead of filming new gokaiger scenes or new gokai change scenes so they don't have to randomly use sentai powers non nerds know about.

Well, from a pure accessibility standpoint I don't think that the target audience has any experience with, say, Power Rangers Turbo or the like either. Its a little harder than with sentai because there were a bunch of years in the 2000s where PR was shuffled off to a network that nobody watched or outright cancelled.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The closer PR gets to the original Sentai, the worse it ends up being. Megaforce being the exception is loose adaptation still being rear end and Time Force being decent while still carrying mostly everything but the villain and Time Fire directly over

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

Well, from a pure accessibility standpoint I don't think that the target audience has any experience with, say, Power Rangers Turbo or the like either. Its a little harder than with sentai because there were a bunch of years in the 2000s where PR was shuffled off to a network that nobody watched or outright cancelled.

The whole point is to show the target audience what came before and "celebrate 20 years". Random sentai costumes only further confuses. Hell some might look it up, find out what sentai is then stop watching and buying. :v:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dear god, the sudden triple-zoom in close up to Jaden's face in the new episode nearly killed me. It was worth the laughs, but seriously, who edits this poo poo?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, bit later than usual, but watching the episode myself now...

I'm actually surprised how much mileage they're getting out of Noah's PowerPad (yes I'm calling it that now, shut up), rather than keeping the whole 'well these guys need to learn their history in order to be worth successors' angle that Gokaiger had, these guys (or Noah anyway) knows what they're dealing with and using. I can kindly ignore the offhand remarks that mess with continuity if they still largely emphasize the shared universe through this thing.

Jayden's appearance was okay, I mean, the scene in itself I thought was pretty well done, but its our first ranger reappearance and it wasn't exactly a deep or meaningful experience for anyone involved. I mean, in Gokaiger, their first cameo appearance involved teaching the crew what the heck the point of the show was, whereas Jayden pops in, is all sorts of mysterious and/or creepy, and then just disappears again. Similar kinda deal with the MMPR suits really. I mean, I've seen some express the view that not having them prove instantaneously awesome just because they're the original suits was actually better, but at the same time, that didn't mean their first appearance had to be them getting absolutely trounced by a bad guy in order to show how tough they are. And its not even like they didn't have at least some of the budget for new fight footage, because there's quite a bit across this episode, and not just with the Megaforce suits either - but the Super Megaforce ones as well. Hopefully they'll remember to give the MMPR suits something before the show is over, unlike what happened in Gokaiger.

Also... Vekar is kinda starting to grow on me as a villain. Not that he actually impresses me or anything (which would be somewhat against the point), but he's got this dosage of snark that I've either failed to see or missed from other villains thus far. Him taking the piss out of the roll call was nice.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I liked Creeper Jayden. He just turns up at their table, is all "I've been watching you", then disappears when they look away for a second.

It's more interesting than he was in 40 episodes of his own show.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
In my personal canon, Jayden just got initiated into the exclusive Red Ranger fraternity and is super-excited by all of the tech Tommy uses to keep track of the other Rangers. Thus he can't help but show off to the new kids how he's one of those boss Ranger alums that knows everything now.

edit: Hunter and Lauren are in it. Leanbow was not given an invitation

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 17, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do wish Saban or Disney would have the guts to put a girl in one of the male roles from Sentai again, ideally Red, obviously, but any of them would be neat. Because otherwise the best you can hope for is something like Kakuranger or Timeranger, where Pink/White is the second lead and PR has to follow suit to some degree.

Super-MegaEdit: I know they won't, because Bandai would poo poo bricks at having to figure out how to market g-g-girl toys for an action show.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

To be fair, Bandai and Toei are slowly making roads into that space, like really slowly. There's a pretty badass psychopath female Rider on Gaim right now, for instance, but she just happens to be hot pink soooooo

Oh, and even though it's a gag, ToQ 5 pretty regularly winds up in red (because ToQ 1 is obsessed with wearing the pink suit)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Except female Riders have a bad habit of being there to let the show kill someone off. The only one who didn't was Kivala, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Who died in Fourze?

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Does Nadeshiko count? I'm disregarding her return in Movie War Ultimatum because that movie didn't make any goddamned sense

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Except female Riders have a bad habit of being there to let the show kill someone off. The only one who didn't was Kivala, right?

Yeah, the old joke for sure. But hey, they've already killed off a Rider and it wasn't her.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

So, there's something called Morphin Madness going on where you vote for one of two rangers for sweepstakes entries and coupons for deals on Power Rangers merch.

Only a couple tough choices in the bunch. Zeo 5 VS MMPR Red, for one. I may have lost my PR fan card for voting Doggie Kruger over MMPR White though. :( Sorry, JDF. He's a dog.

Round 2 of this has just started.

Standings:
Two Super Megaforce Rangers remain (beating the Crimson Ninja Storm Ranger and Zeo Blue).
Robo Knight is the only Megaforce ranger remaining by beating the Signalman/Blue Senturion from Turbo. (Robo Knight is now facing the Phantom Ranger in a twist of Turbo Fate)
All of the Mighty Morphin rangers are still in the running except Pink (who mas beaten by MagiMother/Mystic Force White).
There's only one OO ranger and that's BoukenSilver/Mercury who beat RPM Silver (Gold beat the Quantum Ranger however).
There's two Samurai left and they're both Red
The Titanium ranger is the last Lightspeed Rescue member (and beat Wolzard/Mystic Force Wolf for it)
Zeo Gold is the last Zeo member left (after beating Samurai Gold)
All SPD entrants are out, but all of the the Dino Thunder1 entrants are still in

1: Just realized the similarity of that name and Dino Charge. At the very least they could've named it "Jurassic Charge" or something to keep it a little distinct

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mercury all the way. :colbert: (It's literally my favourite suit design in the entire franchise. Followed by Jungle Fury Purple/GekiViolet)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Holy poo poo Dino Thunder Red v Titanium Ranger, Red is losing by three votes. That's a tight one.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Sockser posted:

Holy poo poo Dino Thunder Red v Titanium Ranger, Red is losing by three votes. That's a tight one.

Its shifted back the other way as of my last vote, so yeah, roughly even love from the fans.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gaz-L posted:

Mercury all the way. :colbert: (It's literally my favourite suit design in the entire franchise. Followed by Jungle Fury Purple/GekiViolet)

GekiViolet is a big list of things that shouldn't work together on a costume coming together to make something awesome. If you added the same kind of shield/shoulderpads that MMPR White or Zeo Gold has, he'd be unstoppable.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 17, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Inkspot posted:

GekiViolet is a big list of things that shouldn't work together on a costume coming together to make something awesome. If you added the same kind of shield/shoulderpads that MMPR White or Zeo Gold has, he'd be unstoppable.

Nah, you'd lose the Muay Thai feel that the costume's going for.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, you'd lose the Muay Thai feel that the costume's going for.

But you gain cumbersome gold shoulderpads! And add an unnecessary fourth (fifth if you count the fact that his helmet and suit don't always match) color to his suit!

Okay, so it's not a great argument, ...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually feel the way you do about BoukenSilver. The mirrored silver, the black, orange, metallic blue... all shouldn't work, but it comes together because there's a theme behind it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That's kind of Sentai/Power Rangers in a nutshell.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, Goushi's the only one who shows up, and it's mainly to give a pep talk in the rain to... Don, maybe? He's all "us previous teams are doing stuff even without our powers, so you man the gently caress up and get with it, kid".

Goushi talks to Gai actually, and if my memory doesn't fail me, it was the episode right after they found the Ultimate Treasure and were debating whether or not to sacrifice the previous Sentai teams to defeat the Zangyack. Goushi basically says "We love this planet, it doesn't matter if we disappear, just wish for everlasting peace since that's what's important."

This episode was alright, but I guess what gets me is in Gokaiger the other Sentai lost their powers. They might have still been doing stuff but their powers were still gone. In Super Megaforce the previous Rangers have, as far as I can tell, still kept their powers. So why is Jayden just kind of hanging around watching them fight instead of jumping in and lending a hand? Or all the other previous teams for that matter?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Goushi talks to Gai actually, and if my memory doesn't fail me, it was the episode right after they found the Ultimate Treasure and were debating whether or not to sacrifice the previous Sentai teams to defeat the Zangyack. Goushi basically says "We love this planet, it doesn't matter if we disappear, just wish for everlasting peace since that's what's important."

This episode was alright, but I guess what gets me is in Gokaiger the other Sentai lost their powers. They might have still been doing stuff but their powers were still gone. In Super Megaforce the previous Rangers have, as far as I can tell, still kept their powers. So why is Jayden just kind of hanging around watching them fight instead of jumping in and lending a hand? Or all the other previous teams for that matter?

Because no one at Saban knows how to craft even a halfway cohesive narrative.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well, the answer is quite simple, and can be answered very easily--LOOK, SOMETHING SHINY!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Standings:
Two Super Megaforce Rangers remain (beating the Crimson Ninja Storm Ranger and Zeo Blue).
Robo Knight is the only Megaforce ranger remaining by beating the Signalman/Blue Senturion from Turbo. (Robo Knight is now facing the Phantom Ranger in a twist of Turbo Fate)
All of the Mighty Morphin rangers are still in the running except Pink (who mas beaten by MagiMother/Mystic Force White).
There's only one OO ranger and that's BoukenSilver/Mercury who beat RPM Silver (Gold beat the Quantum Ranger however).
There's two Samurai left and they're both Red
The Titanium ranger is the last Lightspeed Rescue member (and beat Wolzard/Mystic Force Wolf for it)
Zeo Gold is the last Zeo member left (after beating Samurai Gold)
All SPD entrants are out, but all of the the Dino Thunder1 entrants are still in

1: Just realized the similarity of that name and Dino Charge. At the very least they could've named it "Jurassic Charge" or something to keep it a little distinct

Man, Daggeron's gonna get wrecked by the legion of White Ranger fanboys.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 18, 2014

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Xelkelvos posted:

I am irrationally angry that SPD Blue lost to the loving kid no one ever liked.

super mega edit: I just realized there's the very real possibility of two final brackets being Jason vs Tommy and one of them being Tommy vs Tommy :v:

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 18, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SpazmasterX posted:

I am irrationally angry that SPD Blue lost to the loving kid no one ever liked.

super mega edit: I just realized there's the very real possibility of two final brackets being Jason vs Tommy and one of them being Tommy vs Tommy :v:

If the final bracket isn't Tommy vs Tommy, something went horribly wrong.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If we assume that MMPR Red is Jason by virtue of being the first one, does that mean that Turbo Red is actually Tommy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
MMPR blue will be eliminated, makes me kind of sad as he was my favorite back in the day. Is the white DT ranger Tommy or was that the black one?