Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Endorph posted:

The first part sounds like good taste to me. :colbert:

But if you're going that route we might as well say Japan's favorite Tales characters are Leon, Zelos, and Yuri.

In Japan, Kratos is the popular one of the two. Japan is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Endorph posted:

The first part sounds like good taste to me. :colbert:

I don't think Naoto is a particularly good character, TBH. The concept is good, but her ingame execution falls flat.

At least she's not Marie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

You say that like Tomokazu Seki doesn't also rule.

Tomokazu Seki rules pretty hard but I actually liked Baker's performance with Kanji more. Same with Teddie although that is because I freaking hate Kappei Yamaguchi's voice.

Edit: Oh god, the SMT and FF threads are merging.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

In Japan, Kratos is the popular one of the two. Japan is terrible.
No he isn't? The most recent Tales popularity poll has Zelos at number 7 and Kratos at 13. Though it also had Asbel at number 3, so you can still say terrible taste if you wanna.

EDIT: And yeah, I prefer Baker's performance as Kanji though it's close. But the Teddie thing is no contest, the Japanese voice for him is annoying as hell.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
So which FF game have you all put the MOST hours into total?

For me it would have to be FFXII, mostly because the original game is so slow it literally takes that long to do most of the sidequests. After 130+ hours I don't think I even hit Lv80 with all six characters. Then again I only used Fran, Ashe and Basch for most of the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Oh god, the SMT and FF threads are merging.

SMT x FF 2016

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I don't think Naoto is a particularly good character, TBH. The concept is good, but her ingame execution falls flat.

I have heard so many backhanded comments about Marie. I don't think I've ever heard a single person claim to like her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

I have heard so many backhanded comments about Marie. I don't think I've ever heard a single person claim to like her.
I think she's okay. I don't really love her but she doesn't bug me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Excels posted:

For me it would have to be FFXII, mostly because the original game is so slow it literally takes that long to do most of the sidequests. After 130+ hours I don't think I even hit Lv80 with all six characters. Then again I only used Fran, Ashe and Basch for most of the game.

FFV due to three years of Fiestas, though FFXII is close, given that I've earned Order of Ambrosia (do not do this).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

It depends on if you mean in a single playthrough or total.

I mean if we're counting different versions, probably FF4 because I played it a bunch as a kid and have since played PS1, GBA and DS rereleases of it. It isn't a particularly long game but I played the gently caress out of it in various forms. If not that probably FFV (Four Job Fiesta) or FFVI (re-releases + the best worst Final Fantasy.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

The concept is good, but her ingame execution falls flat.

The whole looks like a girl, sounds like a girl thing doesn't help in her twist.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm trying to think of which FFs I put a lot of time into as a kid, it's either VII or X. I did everything in both of those games, but I no longer have the files for either due to lost memory cards, stolen stuff, and getting older. So my records of either are lost to the annals of time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
XIII is the game I probably put the most time into, mostly because I actually got to the end. The only final Fantasies I've actually beaten are IX, X and XIII, and I got to the very end of VII, and near the end of IVDS. I seem to lose interest in the rest after a session or two of playing them, really.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I remember spending a ridiculous amount of time in FFVII grinding up beat the WEAPON bonus boss.

Mainly because I was a kid and didn't really understand mechanics beyond 'More levels = Hit harder!'

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Aurain posted:

The whole looks like a girl, sounds like a girl thing doesn't help in her twist.

Also something a lot of Naoto fans miss is that she explicitly says the root of her problem was not that she wanted to be male, it was that she wanted the same respect that men got. She tried to act like a boy because she thought it would get people to take her seriously, and it did. Her Shadow was just that feeling pushed to the extreme (complete gender-change surgery).

Then again I once met a girl who was completely convinced (and aggressively argued) that Kanji "thought he might be gay and then decided he wasn't", so I think a lot of P4 fans just didn't really "get" either of their characters. Kanji's sexuality was deliberately left ambiguous by Atlus.

Excels fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 17, 2014

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

Excels posted:

XI, even if it isn't necessarily a fair comparison. For non-MMO games probably 7, because younger = more playthroughs and tolerance of grinding.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I think I probably wasted the most time on X, cause I was feeling particularily insane and wanted to grind everyone to max. The sad part was that despite finishing all the horrible minigames needed to power up the ultimate weapons, I never actually finished grinding everyone and traded the game for MGS2 with a friend, intending to finish the progress later.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Somewhere between VII, VIII, and X, for some very dumb reasons for each.

VII: My 5-person dorm room back in college had a dumb idea: To get to level 99 in the first Mako reactor. So we'd each rotate time with the game so that we pretty much had a constant run of people in our living room playing the game while watching other shows/playing other games. Exciting life in the engineer dorms.

VIII: I've done the whole disc one Lionheart thing too many times for it to really be understandable. Or forgivable.

X: Doing all the stupid arena, ultimate weapons, and secret bosses nonsense. It's only gonna get worse once X HD drops.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Definitely XIV by now.

Otherwise, probably one of 4-6, with 3 surprisingly being up there as well.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Five. I have played a lot of Four Job Fiesta-esque challenges before I ever knew that Four Job Fiesta was a thing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cake Attack posted:

So uh, which one is it? Is she a strong empowered woman, or is she waifu otaku bait? I'd argue those are fairly mutually exclusive.

She's a snarky woman who dislikes almost everyone (usually for good reason) but is still roped into protecting/saving people all the time while being forced to wear ridiculous clothing. By the time of Lightning Returns she's pretty bitter as a result.

She also gets really upset when little children won't cry on command.

EDIT: I'd say I've spent most time on FF7 since I've beaten it at least three times. After that it's either FFVI or FFX. FFXI is a strong contender but most of the time was spent fishing.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 17, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Excels posted:

X. It's not even close; for basically 2 years in high school I played roughly nothing else.

And very soon I get to relive that but in HD. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lightning Returns would be an almost amazing satire on the Final Fantasy series as a whole if the man making it weren't genuinely serious on everything. Oh well at least I can kill Behemoths to get this hot pink sword that looks amazing (This is not ironic).

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
In time with the Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD release, BradyGames is re-releasing the FFX and FFX-2 guides packaged together with some new info.
I'm interested in maybe picking it up, especially since I never played the games before, so I want to ask you if anyone has experience with the original books.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Oh, definitely spent the most time on FF4; replaying FF4 is really a comforting thing for me, really. Although I have to admit second place is FF2... might be creeping up on first, actually.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I've definitely spent the most time on FFT, having played through countless times and doing most of the SCC single-job challenges. Then probably FFV for those delightful fiestas, then XII because I've done everything a couple times and the game is fuckin' long.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

scissorman posted:

In time with the Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD release, BradyGames is re-releasing the FFX and FFX-2 guides packaged together with some new info.
I'm interested in maybe picking it up, especially since I never played the games before, so I want to ask you if anyone has experience with the original books.

I haven't seen the original copies, but I would say the only reason to buy a guide is if you want to 100% X-2. X has very little missable stuff, and what is missable isn't particularly important (you can miss out on a few pieces of mid-tier equipment).

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Systematic System posted:

I haven't seen the original copies, but I would say the only reason to buy a guide is if you want to 100% X-2. X has very little missable stuff, and what is missable isn't particularly important (you can miss out on a few pieces of mid-tier equipment).

Thank you.
So, would you recommend a guide for X-2?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

scissorman posted:

Thank you.
So, would you recommend a guide for X-2?

The Piggyback guide for X-2 was magnificent and well worth picking up if you can find it at a reasonable price if you're wanting 100%.
Considering that the book itself is old now though, that might not be realistic.

e: Looks like it's still in print: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-Fantasy-X-2-Official-Strategy/dp/1903511534

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

scissorman posted:

The x-2 guide is pretty good. Tells you everything you need to know to get 100% completion, has stats for every dressphere (including all their skills), a giant rear end mix table for the alchemist, etc. I think the X guide was still in the 'playonline' era of Squaresoft, but I don't think it was as bad as IX.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They are also rereleasing both guides as one guide with international updates according to this: http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/strategy-guides/final-fantasy-x-x2-hd-official-strategy-guide/112924

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Does leaving Bravely Default in sleep mode all month count as "putting time into"?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

I refuse to believe that someone got paid to translate this game.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Krad posted:

Why

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Uh? Unless I missed something pretty drastic, the translation was pretty good, especially the game being what it was. There's some noticeable smoothing out between the Japanese voices and the English dialogue.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, seems like that's something that came from the original script being bad.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I dunno, that seemed like a highlight of the script. The exchange was pretty justified in context.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

It's a funny scene in a dope game but if you just want to grouch about stuff don't let me stop you!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
"Do you know how I cry for people?" That seriously sounds okay to you guys? Okay. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I dunno, that seemed like a highlight of the script. The exchange was pretty justified in context.

Yeah, I think it's worth mentioning that Lightning is just flat-out explicitly a dick in LR 90% of the time. Not even a subtle one.

There's an entire mission line based around a dude who lost his girlfriend and who is mourning her and wants someone to watch fireworks with. Lightning agrees but only on the condition she gets a free steak. Throughout the rest of the mission she continues to remind him that she's only there for the steak when he tries to monologue about his sadness.

Krad posted:

"Do you know how I cry for people?" That seriously sounds okay to you guys? Okay. :geno:

That's an actual translation of what the girl is saying, yes. She is faking crying. I mean you could rephrase it as like "Do you know how I make myself cry for people?" but it isn't necessary and in context is a correctly translated line.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 18, 2014